ElkNut1 24-Apr-16
swede 25-Apr-16
Norseman 25-Apr-16
ElkNut1 25-Apr-16
Norseman 25-Apr-16
WV Mountaineer 25-Apr-16
ElkNut1 25-Apr-16
20-Apr-16
Kinda slow on the Elk Talk so I figured I toss out some food for thought & get the wheels spinning a bit since elk season will be here before you know it! Isn't it Sept. yet???? (grin)

Ok, here goes, multiple choice answer!

It's Sept. 15th you've been running & gunning elk, it's now 9:30 a.m. & not much luck! You're sidehilling on a steep mountainside & finally get to a point where you hear a bull bugle well above you on your side, a few seconds later a 2nd bull bugles to your left on the other side of the draw at about the same elevation as the first bull. You listen for a few minutes, as one bugles the other bugles back, this goes on as you listen. These two bulls are aprox 400 yards apart as the crow flies but it's near a 1/3 mile to bottom of draw. What's going on here?

A- These two bulls are warning each other to stay away or else!

B- These two bulls are warning any other bulls in the area to stay away?

C- These two bulls are representing dominance in an effort to attract any cows in the area including the ones that may be with these bulls?

So, what's your answer? Once you know what's going on here it will help to form a great game plan!

ElkNut1

20-Apr-16
I'm going with A. The challenge you'll have is getting above the bull on your side ahead of your thermals. Move in close and scream at him and hope the trailhead is downhill for the pack out.

20-Apr-16
I'm going A

20-Apr-16
I'm going with C

20-Apr-16
I think "C"

20-Apr-16
I think it could be either A or C.

20-Apr-16
I don't understand the geometry of your scenario at all, but I have no idea whether it matters.

The way I understand it the answer is either:

D) You can't figure out what is going on because you are already at the bottom of the draw with broken bones because the slope is too steep to stand on.

or

E) The time you had to figure it out is already passed because the uphill thermal put your scent right in the bulls nose.

20-Apr-16
C

20-Apr-16
C....esp if the weather has cooled and by the 15th, I'd say they are less in the pecking order and more in the mood.

20-Apr-16
Answer doesn't matter. You're below both and you'll blow one, if not both, out of the area due to thermals/shifting winds at this point.

Back out, or get high, watch, and listen. It's not calculus.

20-Apr-16
D. A group from MN is bugling to a group from West Virgina.

LOL. Just kidding!

20-Apr-16
I'd go back to camp, have lunch and a beer, take a nap, shower, shoot a few arrows, then go back and try to kill one later after the thermal settles.

20-Apr-16
^^^^ What Jaquomo said is a solid plan to kill an elk.

20-Apr-16
C. the thermals should still be rising so that has to be considered when "formulating" your plan. If I was determined to hunt now, I think I would go up to get slightly above but well to the side of the bull above me. This might require backing up some. Keep listening then try to stalk first slowly. If the thermals stay consistent and you are slightly above and behind you may have an opportunity.

20-Apr-16
I'm going with C, and I'm going with Jaquomo...9:30 is a little late to be trying to pull this off in my experience...wind too unpredictable.

Best of Luck, Jeff

20-Apr-16
Its a spacing thing....they maintain space while trying to keep their own cows. They aren't challenging each other really...just letting their cows know that they are the boss...don't go over to that other guy. I bet these two bulls actually know each other well...have a few beers together outside of the rut- grin.

They already know who wins if they fight. They each have cows and coexist in the same general area without problems and are more concerned with satellites dipping in and stealing a cow.

Or one could be a satellite and he is just keeping tabs on where the herd he is shadowing is still bedded.

20-Apr-16
Im already back at camp waiting for Lou and Jeff to show up to drink beer.

20-Apr-16
I like Lous answer and 12yards too, I've been in similar situation and I guess C but I have to admit I didn't walk up to the bulls and ask them what they were up too

20-Apr-16
Similar to Bruce's answer, they're just keeping tabs on each other as they get close to bedding.

I'm going to cow call immediately after each bugle, raising my excitement each minute and when one of those bulls starts to move to me, the other will run in. It's a process that has worked very well for me.

20-Apr-16
Nothing about the scenario suggest an approach, he's talking about dissecting the situation. Some premature e-elkulators here!

20-Apr-16
D. Depends on the type of bugle. I'm going to bed with my cows or if a satellite bull. Just shouting out a locator to see where everyone is ending up for the day. So we can touch base later.

20-Apr-16
Jaquomo says jump, and these boys say "Yes sir."

20-Apr-16
Thanks for the response folks! Sorry I was away so long, my son had a boat problem & had to head to the lake & bail him out! (grin) All is well now!

Ohiohunter is spot on when he said -- "he's talking about dissecting the situation" -- That is what's of interest here not what is the wind doing etc. It could be an overcast day & the thermals are going down the mountain till afternoon, this is why it was not part of the equation, it's simply what is going on here? Knowing this will help with ones next move!

I appreciate all the honest hearted responses, there's some good ones & some are correct! (grin) I'll respond here to a few.

Franzen, it's not complicated at all, this scenario is a yearly occurrence in the elkwoods, A-B-or C fits this encounter! Sure it can be handled in more than one way but first you have to recognize it for best odds in your favor! Thanks!

Chasewild, note one bull is on one side & we are well away from the other! No wind issue! Plus these two bulls have continued to bugle as we listened, no fear at that time of our existence!

12 yards, could be! (grin) Most hunters would have thrown in a cow call after a bugle or two though! Dead giveaway it's a hunter!

Stoneman, depends on ones hunt! Most thermals in timbered country are still fairly stable at 9:30 a.m. Too, as hunters we will take that into consideration when we are right there! We will do what's needed to keep wind in our favor once we realize elk are there!

Norseman, as you can see from the description these bulls have bugled multiple times continuously. This in itself shows more is in the message than "where are you guys" One bugle would have been enough to satisfy the one wanting a location of other elk! These bugles or message being sent goes beyond that! This is why these quiz's are good! (grin)

While some here are back at camp drinking their morning beers we're killing their bulls! (grin) If you dish it out you have to be able to take it! (grin)

ElkNut1

20-Apr-16
"C"

when in doubt, charlie out.

20-Apr-16
maybe its two hunters walking through bedding areas bugling at each other.

20-Apr-16
These are funny. Just have to shake my head and chuckle.....

20-Apr-16
No doubt anything is possible but when you've heard a fair amount of bugles it's fairly easy to tell the real McCoy apart from imposters! As new elk hunters there is a degree of difficulty for sure in one bugle from another, but I'm referring to real bulls here so choose a letter! (grin)

Norseman, true but we all started at the bottom so it's not too tough to put ourselves in their shoes because at one time they fit us all! (grin)

ElkNut1

20-Apr-16
Im going with E, I hope they keep bugling long enough to close the distance as fast as I can and put an arrow in one of them while they"re focused on each other.

20-Apr-16
C

20-Apr-16
I didn't read all the answers. It's two bulls who have known each other since kids and are checking out where each is at. A lot cheaper than Verizon.

20-Apr-16
A

20-Apr-16
I slept in, finished breakfast and just opened my first beer.

20-Apr-16
"Most thermals in timbered country are still fairly stable at 9:30 a.m"

Not anywhere near the Continental Divide in N. CO they aren't. By 9:30 the best thing you can do to keep the wind in your favor in that area is get away from the elk and back to camp to hunt them another time.

While we're back at camp planning our evening strategy, overeager guys like you are running those bulls out of the country.

20-Apr-16
sfiremedic, this is what's happening here? Not how will I kill one. No doubt that will be of concern as you figure out what the setting is. What would you do if the terrain were of such that you couldn't get within 100 yards & it was like walking on cornflakes or tons of downfall to negotiate? (grin)

As you can see there can always be countless what if's! So, what's going on in this encounter?

ElkNut1

20-Apr-16
I think they are satellites that have cows and are bugling in an attempt to show dominance. A bigger bull will probably move in within 7 days and breed the cows but for now these solid bulls are fired up and warning others while trying to draw some more cows to them. I would not make a sound and close the distance on the one with the best wind and elevation, and maybe not call at all if they keep bugling to each other. But I've been known to blow an encounter with my agressiveness; )

20-Apr-16
I think they are satellites that have cows and are bugling in an attempt to show dominance. A bigger bull will probably move in within 7 days and breed the cows but for now these solid bulls are fired up and warning others while trying to draw some more cows to them. I would not make a sound and close the distance on the one with the best wind and elevation, and maybe not call at all if they keep bugling to each other. But I've been known to blow an encounter with my agressiveness; ) Oh…C is my answer.

20-Apr-16
As hunters we have to employ common sense in the area we are hunting for that day! If thermals/wind is swirling uncontrollable it must be taken into consideration & we act accordingly. When wind direction can be had to our advantage we take use of it & move in quickly to take care of business.

We have taken plenty of bulls after 9:30 a.m. probably close to 100. We realize there are times to hang back & allow the thermals to do their thing. This doesn't mean we have to head back to camp & drink beer, we have better things to do.

We will hang out on the outskirts far enough back that our wind doesn't get near the elk we've bedded, this is just plain common sense, you don't need to read this in a book.

This can be phrased as "over eager" or "diehards" your choice, bottom line is we are persistent & get it done! Hunt hard hunt smart! Plenty of hunters here have killed elk after 9:30 all over the west.

ElkNut1

20-Apr-16
BTW, it could be A) two herd bulls who know each other giving bedding location bugles, could be B) two satellite bulls who know each other who hang on opposite sides of the draw, could be C) two herd bulls warning each other away from where each is bedding with the herd, could be D) a new bull who moved into the area after losing his cows to another bull, being warned away by a herd bull or answered by a satellite, could be E) a herd bull with his bedding bugles and a frustrated satellite bull who knows him, could be a F) hunter bugling to a real bull, could be G) two hunters bugling to each other.

21-Apr-16
OK Lou, let's dissect your variety of thoughts! How do bulls generally respond to each other according to the situations you mentioned? One way is to be familiar with years of seeing or hearing bulls in the situation I described.

A- Herd bulls can do this but not in a repetitious manner where the bugling is non stop, a few bugles & they are satisfied.

B- The main reason two satellites would sound off repetitiously at that distance would be because there was a third bull (herd bull) with cows & at least one cow was in or nearing estrus, otherwise a bugle or two & they are done.

C- If these were herd bulls warning one another they would be right on top of one another not a great distance apart. These bulls had other things in mind!

D - If this was the case the newcomer would be much closer or approaching the herd, he would eventually be within 150 yards or closer to the herd exhibiting dominance with no fear as he attempted to draw the herd bulls cows away. This generally takes place if the herd bull has a hot cow in the group! The scenario I shared shows no sign of a hot cow or this encounter would be different!

E - D answers this thought!

F - In this case it's two real bulls as I mentioned above but this is a possibility if not mentioned!

G - Not a chance, only a rookie would fall for that! (grin) I'll share the answer in the morning! With the description in my original post it should take an experienced elk hunter as yourself seconds to know the answer! Several have answered correctly! Thanks!

ElkNut1

21-Apr-16
At this point in the situation I'm sitting on a tree stump with my "playbook" in hand, super stressed out because I've flipped through every page and this scenario isn't covered in the guide. With the tension building as these two bulls continue to bugle back and forth I can't even make it back to camp for a beer. I resort to the flask in my pack and drink myself to sleep hoping to awaken in a few hours to a much more textbook scenario. ;)

21-Apr-16
"A- Herd bulls can do this but not in a repetitious manner where the bugling is non stop, a few bugles & they are satisfied."

Absolutely false!

I have witnessed herd bulls bugle 30-40 times in an hour span prior to bedding time.

21-Apr-16
Noresman, that's the point! Both bulls are herd bulls! Jaq said both bulls giving bedding locations, that's pretty general! There's more to it than that! They are sending a message! What's the message?

Lungshot, it's there! (grin)

ElkNut1

21-Apr-16
I go however far I have to go , get the wind and move in silently. No sound at all as long as they are bugling. However a huge percent of the time constant bugling by two bulls means one is a hunter and perhaps both. I have fooled a lot of hunters and been fooled once when I thought a real bull was a hunter. Since that one time I never take it for granted that I can discern the difference . I have heard some really hunter sounding elk and some real elk sounding hunters. It makes one very careful when moving in on one.

God bless and good hunting. BTW I have killed more than one bull in this exact scenario and several that were moving and bugling by intersecting them. Two stationary bulls bugling usually means a lot of eyes and a need to move very slowly and quietly and keep the wind in your face. Always check the wind continually. Elk live by their nose and that is one awesome smeller that they have.

God bless, steve

21-Apr-16
Gosh, elknut, you are soooo AMAZING!!! So prescient about a totally fabricated situation!! No wonder you call yourself "The Leading Expert In The Elk Hunting Field!" Must require an extra-large pillow and a custom-made, super-sized hat, eh?! GRIN!

In my 40 years of bowhunting elk, of course I've NEVER seen or heard bulls in the situation you describe. I have no idea what you're even talking about. I've never actually killed a bull, only seen it on TV, so just wild-assed guessing here. Thank you for setting me straight.

I won't bother correcting your dissection of my analysis, because you're just playing the "big dick" game now.

Please, please, tell us the correct answer!

21-Apr-16
If the BD holds true this year my party has 4 elk tags come Sept of 2016, just not sure what unit yet. We will split up and go harvest both of your bugling bulls. Very large GRIN.

21-Apr-16
I would guess C. Either way i am going after one of these bulls while others are in camp drinking beer and sleeping. Majority of bulls killed in our camp are killed between the hours of 10:30 and 2:30. Should be back at camp sometime around midnight eating tenderloins. Keep these coming Elknut.

21-Apr-16
I decided to walk a couple hundred yards from camp and shoot 2 elk [like I did last year] while you guys are playing a multiple choice game

21-Apr-16
The answer is there are two bulls across a drainage from one another. They could be "saying" lots of things. Most likely its a simple i'm here your there lets keep it that way. It could also be two pals without cows that are just not bedding together because the rut has them cranky. Either way its probably not gonna last long. Depending on the wind I would most likely try to intercept them at the bottom 15 min before dark. Or the next morning at first light. I have witnessed enough encounters to understand that as soon as you think you know. Your wrong. I have also found if there is no hot cow around herd bulls will just bugle back and forth with satellites like they are good buddies across the bar. regardless of who has cows. Now toss in the possibility of procreation and its a whole different day.

21-Apr-16
I really don't care what they're saying (hell I can barely communicate with my wife of 30 yrs). If I have two bulls bugling across from each other in a canyon I'm going to decide which one I have the best chance at based on the situation. Then I'm going to close the distance as fast as I can and get my eyes on him/them. Quietly!! From there I'll get into bow range if possible.

This style of aggressive hunting has suited me well and though I haven't killed hundreds I've killed enough to know what works for me. So while you guys figure out what they're saying I'm going to go kill him. :)

21-Apr-16
Quote from the world famous elk wisperer,"We have taken close to 100 bulls after 9:30"! Who is we? Do you have a turd in your pocket? Hey, if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS!

And as for you Jaquomo, I don't drink beer. So on your way back to camp, would you pick up a six pack of diet pepsi? I'm waiting here in camp and couldn't find any in the cooler.

21-Apr-16
Unless conditions were perfect Id be joining Jaquomo in camp. At 9:00 bulls are looking to bed and going after them usually ends in a blown opportunity, a spooked herd, and now youre back to locating again. Let them be and set up for the evening hunt is better advice 90 % of the time ! Like Jaquomo, I also have 40 years of elk experience and killed more than my fair share too !

21-Apr-16
I think the answer here everyone is really looking for is this: What kind of beer are we drinking Lou?

21-Apr-16
For me it's usually Becks Nonalcoholic in camp for the carbs during the daytime. Unless I'm ready for a nap, then it's probably a Fat Tire.

Stop by and we can discuss how we'll kill those bulls this evening after this danged swirling wind settles down.

21-Apr-16
Good One! (Grin)

21-Apr-16
Cheers!

photo crownroyal_zps694b8d8b.jpg

21-Apr-16
Lou, I'm always ready for a nap...AND a beer!

21-Apr-16
"We have taken plenty of bulls after 9:30 a.m. probably close to 100."

Do you also wear jerseys, call yourself a "team", pimp some shi**y new bugle tube, and blow up the interwebs with how you "get it done"?

Oh wait.

21-Apr-16
A wise man once told me that if you have to blow your own bugle it's because no one else will blow it for you. Although it may have been if you don't have $20 someone else will have to do it for you...I can't remember exactly. Maybe I'll make it a quiz.

21-Apr-16
Elknut, I own your playbook and it has helped me become a better elk hunter. I'm interested in your comments on what the bulls are doing and what your advice would be to kill one of them. Thanks,

Kelly

21-Apr-16
Hey guys I apologize for the delayed response, absolutely swamped today! Just getting back to the PC!

Those that chose C are spot on! With enough time & years in the elkwoods you will see this for yourself. It really takes years of understanding elk behavior to realize this. Most of us are hunters so do not have the luxury of spending several months in the woods a year to learn the finer points. Sites like this can cut the learning curve down tremendously.

When two bulls are Bugling back to each other at longer distances you will find that the odds will show that both have their own cows. This Bugling can be non-stop for an hour, why? As these herd bulls reach their destination they settle in their bedding areas & can reach out to other cows within earshot to persuade them to join their groups, this can include them trying to call the other bulls cows away from him. When one bull bugles the other can bugle to out roar or out bugle the other bull for strength & dominance that can intrigue cows to consider another bull, they do this during the rut to build their harems. These bulls are not a threat to one another at this great distance & they know this! It's all about the cows at this time!

I will have an Elk Quiz 2, thanks!

ElkNut1

21-Apr-16

Norseman's embedded Photo
Norseman's embedded Photo
Uh......thanks?

21-Apr-16
That may or may not be true but it definitely is one of the possible scenarios. Since it was fake and not a real scenario, no one will know for sure. Could have been me and Cnelk bugling back and forth to screw with two guys we spotted down below, laughing over the FRS radio as we call them in.

Along with a few other possibilities. The internet is a valuable tool for learning. That's why it's important to listen to and respect the opinions of others, and not get carried away with our own wonderfulness, as if we, alone, are Supreme Authorities.

21-Apr-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

21-Apr-16
All scenarios that I will share are real life elk encounters. So yes this is an actual elk encounter we've been in multiple times, thanks!

Norseman, you surprise me!

ElkNut1

21-Apr-16
Maybe if you were hunting in CO, you could try one of my maps to see if there were bedding areas near the bugling and some quality forage nearby?

If so, the bulls were probably just talking and letting each other know their location.

Just my two cents.

Mike

21-Apr-16
Yes, as have many highly experienced elk hunters on this site. That is why your interpretation is but one of many possibilities, not the only possibility despite your outstanding opinion of yourself.

Please don't become the TBM of the elk forum. One of those was enough.

22-Apr-16
I would enjoy seeing all highly experienced elk hunters interpretations with their true life experiences to help the many new ones that do not have the luxury of living in elk country! In my opinion this is what this Elk Forum is all about! I know I still have lots to learn from others as this is a school I will never graduate from!

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
Yes, as have many highly experienced elk hunters on this site. That is why your interpretation is but one of many possibilities, not the only possibility despite your outstanding opinion of yourself.

Please don't become the TBM of the elk forum. One of those was enough.

22-Apr-16
Mike Thanks! Bulls do not need to give dozens of bugles each to get a fix on their location, one bugle will suffice if that were the case! Bulls can pinpoint a bugle to feet away from 100's of yards out! The scenario I shared suggests much more than this! This is a real life encounter that we've taken herd bulls in over the years! Just sharing thoughts that may help others if experiencing such encounters!

This differs from satellites harassing a bull & his cows, it's all in Reading The Situation! Thanks!

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
Someone is pissy as usual. Heaven forbid if someone dismisses his opinion! No one forced you to participate.

22-Apr-16
Their "Elk". So it could be all of the above, or none of the above and no one here could say for sure...

22-Apr-16
I was in this scenario last year exactly as described in New Mexico. I went back had a few beers and a nap then moved back in and killed one of the Bulls at 5 pm. It seems to me you can have your cake and eat it too!

22-Apr-16
Cool story bro

22-Apr-16
"Someone is pissy as usual. Heaven forbid if someone dismisses his opinion! No one forced you to participate."

News Flash!!! That's how the world of open internet forums work, sport.

ELKMAN said it about as concise as can be said. Elk are elk, and nobody has learned to interpret elk talk yet. You can certainly make educated guesses based on past experience, but that's all they are...guesses. As can be seen in this thread, problems arise when someone tries to pass on their guess as absolute fact, based on anecdotal experience. Then, when someone else's opinion is different based on their experience, words such as "inexperienced" get thrown around. If someone is REALLY interested in making the internet a great tool for learning, then perhaps that someone should realize that the more experience that is shared, the better. When insults get thrown around, and the pissin' match starts, all learning stops. Nobody wins.

There's basically two groups of bowhunters...those that are experienced, and those that aren't. Those that are experienced will make their decisions based on what their experience has taught them, realizing that sometimes they'll do the right thing, sometimes they won't. They understand elk hunting isn't an exact science. Those that aren't experienced, well, they'll be frantically searching through their playbook looking for that paragraph that told them what the bull was saying and what the hell you better do in that situation. Care to guess which group will continue to consistently kill elk?

22-Apr-16
Oh I get it, but thats no reason to completely highjack a thread point a finger and say TBM while acting like a disgruntled tbm.

We all know elk are elk and nothing is a guarantee. This was just a positive gesture to kill time waiting for results. But no, its always a pissing match puff out your chest and dissuade those who are actually interested in what the op has to say.

Sorry to piss your your pissing parade.. sport

If nothing in the elk world is predictable (as you suggest), then why even talk about them? How do people make money giving advice either the web or as a guide? Why sell maps w/ guesstimated locations? Why ask anyone any questions? Some members here make it very hard for anyone to attain any valuable information just b/c they have a hard on for themselves.

22-Apr-16
I didn't hijack any thread. I made a lighthearted comment about waiting for evening to hunt those elk, and our friend who has a hard-on for half the elk hunters on the Bowsite (there's an ugly backstory here) had to make a smart-ass reply about our hunting strategy and wind in a place where he has no knowledge and has never hunted, then threw down the gauntlet about not being able to "take it".

If you notice, I didn't mention him in my original post. He has a problem with me and others on here, is threatened by our success, and whenever we post something contrary to his beliefs, no matter how polite, he has feels compelled to play "show dick". He claims to want to "learn", but when those who are also highly experienced post ideas, he immediately corrects them. It isn't just me. As you can see from the posts on this thread, there is a respect issue.

I politely posted my thoughts about the scenario, and he snarkily "critiqued" each one, with a veiled insult.

On his own forum, he would simply kick us off. Can't do that here. So yes, he is much like TBM, except TBM had a sense of humor.

22-Apr-16
I'll admit it. I actually sipped the Elknut Kool Aid once to see if it actually helped if my elk hunting situations.

It didn't.

Which in fact tells me what may work for you doesn't work for me.

My success in killing elk hasn't changed. It's still very good. And each and every year I take newbies with me or help others via maps and scouting for them.

I promote many ways to hunt elk. I encourage people to find their groove and 'make their own tracks'.

It's discouraging to read / hear only one way or one answer to hunt a given elk situation. And that alone is detrimental to being successful. Way too many variables

Each day in the elk mountains is a newly shuffled deck. Ante up and play the hand you are dealt.

22-Apr-16
hey Paul,

Without reading all the responses first, I'll give it a shot. The bulls aren't moving toward each other so obviously don't feel threatened. It's September 15 you say? Healthy animals will likely begin into the peak of rut phase for the next couple to few weeks. These bulls could both have cows. They could be talking to there own cows as well as trying to call other cows his way. That's the picture my minds eye paints at the moment.

Now if I'm hearing growls, grunts or antlers clashing, that paints a different picture [grin]reading the encounter correctly and adjusting accordingly is crucial.

22-Apr-16
Jaquomo and cnelk you guys need to pull your skirts down and quit acting like little bitches. Most of us know the back story and if you gotta problem with elknut then why reply to his thread? Just makes following it pointless. Most of us want to read how other hunters would proceed with this type of senerio, but no here come the bowsite elk "experts" to fuck up the thread.

22-Apr-16
In before the lock and ban.

22-Apr-16
Guys, thanks for your comments & support! No question there's not much set in stone (or absolute facts) when it comes to evaluating elk encounters, but with enough experience these encounters are much more than just guesses. Reading A situation effectively can be done by anyone. When you've been in enough encounters you start to get a good feel on what's going on. It's not tough to figure things out & form a game plan as we learn from passed encounters.

Sure there's times when you're dealing with herd bulls, satellites or both, then toss cows into the equation & hunters wonder what they should do next! Sites like this can really help out newer elk hunters cut their learning curve way down & enjoy success even this year with some simple education.

Lou, I have no issues with you or Cnelk. I hold no ill feelings towards you or anyone here. I'm not threatened in the least because of anyone's success on this site, heck I'd love to see everyone here take elk on a yearly basis. I enjoy talking elk & sharing any info or experiences that has helped us in past hunts. I've helped over 1500 hunters take their elk, I do this because I truly enjoy the excitement they receive in their success. There's more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.

Quiz # 2 coming up! I'll be happy to share our level of experience at that time so ones can appreciate that hard work & dedication towards ones passion can unravel what many assume are unsolvable elk mysteries.

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
in my experience, the answer depends on the bull to cow ratio in the area.

if the bull to cow ratio is healthy (30+/100), it could be either A or B (basically the same).

if there are less than 20 bulls to 100 cows (Oregon), answer C may be the most likely imo.

22-Apr-16
Ghost stalker, read the sequence of posts on this thread. After I posted my thoughts on the possibilities, the all of which are viable in the situation described, the OP couldn't bring himself to acknowledge that.

Rather, he decided to dissect my perspective in an insulting, condescending manner. When someone does that, I will respond in kind.

The other posts from guys who kill a LOT of elk seem to indicate that they, too, believe there are more possibilities than simply "C". Apparently the point of this thread was not to have an honest discussion and "get the wheels turning" but to be schooled by the "master".

I'll leave it at that. Carry on.

22-Apr-16
Lou, I went back & read every thread, in no way was I rude to you.

By the way guys, do several of you really go back to camp & drink several beers then go out & hunt? I don't think that's even legal? Wow!

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
This was interesting, informative and funny. I appreciate all the ideas from all camps plus the BD bashing lightens up my evening commute. Not sure what I would do until I'm in the situation...too many variables and I have limited "experience".

22-Apr-16
Elkhuntr ok, you have my curiosity up sir! What does the bull to cow ratio have to do with the scenario? If referring to one or both may be 5 points, ok. They are still herd bulls though! Every area is different especially on heavily hunted OTC units. Thanks!

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
I've killed three elk, what do you want to know?

23-Apr-16
I've seen big satellites dog herd bulls and answer every bugle. How do you know they were both herd Bulls. You didn't mention they were both herd Bulls in your first post.

23-Apr-16
I didn't read all the answers. It's two bulls who have known each other since kids and are checking out where each is at. A lot cheaper than Verizon.

23-Apr-16
Elknut1, How would recommend a person kill one of those bulls? Maybe the top 2 scenarios for making a play on one? As I said I would likely move in up wind and try to get within 40 yards, likely without calling unless I lost track of the bull. In that case I would cow call for location 1 time potentially. Or I might set up and call and try to pull a satellite to me. What would you recommend?

23-Apr-16
Looking at this thread from 20,000 feet;

There are a pile of experienced guys on this site that I have grown to respect their opinion over the decade or so of participating. So thus, there are many quality comments here...and its understandable that elite guys get a little edgy when confronted....totally understandable.

All in all...its good info.

23-Apr-16
It was good info for someone like me. However, had the initial option of C contained the info that they were herd bulls, it really would have made picking C easier.

For men like me, that aren't experienced in these situations, leaving out key info that you are looking for will ensure the right answer to be hard to find. We were asked to give the answer from provided info. not add info to the selections. God Bless

23-Apr-16
WV Mountaineer. The key information for me was the date, time and location and what the elk are doing. Why are those elk where they are? the who, why what, when and where equation is just as important as what we're hearing. ;)

23-Apr-16
WV, it's because those two bulls being herd bulls was the answer! (grin) I couldn't give the answer away. Here's what the last two sentences say in the original post. The key being "What's Going On" >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"C- These two bulls are representing dominance in an effort to attract any cows in the area including the ones that may be with these bulls? So, what's your answer? Once you know what's going on here it will help to form a great game plan!"

It's very common when two bulls are bugling a fair distance away repetitiously every few minutes & hold position that they have their own cows & are looking to add more, these two bulls are being competitive as they Advertise their positions trying to call in new recruits.

Mark U, the above response should help shed a bit of light. Thanks bud!

Norseman, a bull dogging a herd no matter his size shows he's closing the distance & is interested in the group he's following, this generally shows there's a cow coming into estrus or in estrus & he wants part of the action. The two bulls I referred to were not closing in on one another as they bugled. They held tight in their bedding area or destination spot for the day. Thanks!

Bownarrow, I'll be happy to respond to your question bur it will be in the next post. Thanks!

ElkNut1

23-Apr-16
Bownarrow, those are very good thoughts! I too like going in silent anytime I can when a bull remains vocal on his own, this has payed great dividends when conditions allow a careful quiet stalk!

A couple instances come to mind, these are the latest ones I'm thinking about right now. Here's how they went down!

1 - We had two bulls bugling exactly as described in the original post, they did not move towards one another, they held position & continued to bugle for 45 minutes. That's how long it took us (my son & I)to get to the closet one. I ended up getting to aprox 150 yards & it got fairly thick & the ground was dry & noisy with quite a bit of downfall. This bull was the lesser mature sounding one but the easiest to get to.

He still sounded decent for an OTC Public Land bull. As I closed the distance I chose to use cow sounds since this is what he was asking for, this bull was not being overly aggressive & didn't show any signs that he was being harassed by satellites, this most likely means he did not have a hot cow in the group so I chose to stay away from challenging him. I hurried at a steady pace walking quickly I mewed & whined my way right to him monitoring the wind religiously, noise by me was not a factor as I intentionally stomped & snapped branches on my way to him as if I was a cow coming in. As I closed the distance the bull turned to bugling & chuckling to me & stopped responding to the other bull that was at least 400-500 yards away.

As I got to 40 yards or so I'm looking intently for other elk so I don't get busted by having tunnel vision on the bull bugling to me. I nocked an arrow right there & slipped in to a fir tree that had limbs growing to the ground. I made it to that spot with no more calling & scanned the area intently until I spotted him standing behind a downfall log, he was most hidden except for his neck & antlers. He started to walk up towards me & headed to a tree & started raking it in a displaying manner to get me to come on over. While he was raking I slowly stepped away from the fir limbs for a clear shot, he stepped away from the tree standing broadside under 20 yards. I let the air out of him with a heart shot! He had 6 cows that I saw after shooting him.

2 - This is the actual encounter that this thread was based upon! Two bulls bugling away at one another for at least 30-40 minutes straight. One on one side of the draw & the other bull on the other side. There was no attempt at all by either bull to close the distance, again this generally denotes two herd bulls!

Since we are closet to the bull on our side, we work this guy, the wind is coming straight down at us at 9:30 a.m.-- good deal! The sun has not hit this side of the mountain yet but we had over a 1000' to climb to get to him total. We made our way up silently with not one elk sound by us. Once again we hit noisy conditions. We were in tall willows & very dry leaves with negotiable downfall with scattered pines. We had plenty of cover here & good wind.

As we get to 100 yards or maybe a hair further from where we last heard the bull he growls one time! This tells us he's heard us & is asking for a response or identification of the sounds he hears below. He wants to be sure we are not a threat to him. I immediately give one soft cow call & intentionally rustle the willows we are in, not trying to be quiet here now, we want him thinking a cow that he was asking for is making her way up to him. My son heads up the hill 20 yards or so & I continue to give low mews & whines as well as rustling the willow brush, the bull decides he's coming down to hook her up & my son takes him at 30-35 yards! Not sure how many cows he had as I didn't physically see them but the sign on the bench he came off of showed 3-5 possibly, hard to tell.

We ended up taking the bull on the other side a couple days later! Bugles & cow calls brought him in for a 27 yard shot! Thanks!

ElkNut1

23-Apr-16
Thanks Elknut. Great specifics on the encounters and something we can all add to our knowledge base for the upcoming season. Come on New Mexico!

23-Apr-16
A lone bull dogging a herd may want part of the action but keeps his distance. Hence the term "satellite". Especially at 9:30 am when it's time for bed and he has to cross a drainage and at some point and move down wind.

24-Apr-16
Thanks to all for the information from everyone. I'm still reading everyday. Trying to learn all I can. I hope to get lucky, scratch that, blessed enough to get my third bull. My wife looked down from upstairs today and asked, "was that the video or you calling"? I'm getting better!!

What's next Elknut??

24-Apr-16
Norseman, as I mentioned above we can all throw in the "what ifs" -- Point is when there are two bulls that bugle as much as you mentioned earlier (30-40 times & more) from the same position in or near their bedding area the odds are much greater that both of these bulls have cows. Of course a satellite can also bugle in this situation or another hunter or it could be two satellites or more that will bugle one another, but at these times you will find that satellites do not continue on with the chorus, they get a direction or spot where the herd or other bull is bedding & is satisfied.

Now if you have a herd bull with hot cows the satellites are much more likely to sound off continuously to attract the hot cows their way, at this time they are not challenging the bull or they'd get right over there in his face. These satellites can & do dog the herd & don't get too far away at this time, just far enough to be out of harms way!

Again, point of discussion is that when faced in the elkwoods with the scenario presented above the chances are very good you are dealing with two herd bulls! Nothing written in stone but the odds are very good that's what you're dealing with. When you inject other thoughts & things into a similar scenario then things can change. It's all apart of Reading The Situation & adjusting with each individual encounter!

The more time we spend in the woods & are faced with hundreds of encounters with bulls you can get a good feel by sounds made in addition to their activity at that time! I can understand the questions you have & they are good ones. When the scenario changes so can the evaluation! Again, all a part of elk hunting! Thanks!

ElkNut1

25-Apr-16
"Again, point of discussion is that when faced in the elkwoods with the scenario presented above the chances are very good you are dealing with two herd bulls! Nothing written in stone but the odds are very good that's what you're dealing with. When you inject other thoughts & things into a similar scenario then things can change. It's all apart of Reading The Situation & adjusting with each individual encounter!"

Well said. Isn't that what helping less experienced elk hunters is all about? We can imagine about anything including a couple of hunters trying to call elk, but Paul's explanation is the most likely to be the correct one. Thanks

25-Apr-16
So which of these Bulls did "you guys" call into your lap? The one on your right , or left?

25-Apr-16
Norseman, I wrote about the account a few posts above this one but here's the account & how it went down! Thanks! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is the actual encounter that this thread was based upon! Two bulls bugling away at one another for at least 30-40 minutes straight. One on one side of the draw & the other bull on the other side. There was no attempt at all by either bull to close the distance, again this generally denotes two herd bulls!

Since we are closet to the bull on our side, we work this guy, the wind is coming straight down at us at 9:30 a.m.-- good deal! The sun has not hit this side of the mountain yet but we had over a 1000' to climb to get to him total. We made our way up silently with not one elk sound by us. Once again we hit noisy conditions. We were in tall willows & very dry leaves with negotiable downfall with scattered pines. We had plenty of cover here & good wind.

As we get to 100 yards or maybe a hair further from where we last heard the bull he growls one time! This tells us he's heard us & is asking for a response or identification of the sounds he hears below. He wants to be sure we are not a threat to him. I immediately give one soft cow call & intentionally rustle the willows we are in, not trying to be quiet here now, we want him thinking a cow that he was asking for is making her way up to him. My son heads up the hill 20 yards or so & I continue to give low mews & whines as well as rustling the willow brush, the bull decides he's coming down to hook her up & my son takes him at 30-35 yards! Not sure how many cows he had as I didn't physically see them but the sign on the bench he came off of showed 3-5 possibly, hard to tell.

ElkNut1

25-Apr-16
Congrats to your son sounds like a great encounter to share with your boy.

25-Apr-16
Well, given the way you described that encounter, A. is the correct answer on Quiz 2. God Bless men

25-Apr-16
Thanks!

WV, not necessarily! That was a totally different situation! This bull in this encounter stayed vocal so we could get a fix on him & close the distance in silent mode. The other Quiz shows a bull that bugled twice while we were still aprox 400 yards away from him in heavy cover & well below us in elevation. He never called again as we slipped down his way so was not sure at all where he was. We knew we had not passed him but didn't know if he was left or right of us & we didn't want to slip in anymore than we felt safe in not blowing him out!

I will give the outcome shortly, thanks!

p.s. I cannot stress enough the importance of Reading A Situation & acting in a manner to give a hunter the best possible odds & not the elk! Thanks!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear