Start My Hunt 21-Apr-16
peewee 22-Apr-16
Rocking R 22-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 22-Apr-16
ElkNut1 22-Apr-16
Thunder Head 22-Apr-16
Booner 22-Apr-16
21-Apr-16
Hello fellow archers, I'm a whitetail hunter from Wisconsin who is interested in an archery elk hunt. I have limited vacation, and although I'd like to, probably wouldn't be able to do a DIY hunt on public land.

I'm not going to lie, I know absolutely nothing about elk hunting. I have the passion to hunt and patience to learn from others, and the skills to hit where I'm aiming.

Would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of a good guide service. It doesn't have to be a big name outfitter, rather, somebody that knows how to elk hunt. I'd appreciate any input. I'd prefer to hunt Colorado. Thank You!

21-Apr-16
There are some good ones who are Bowsite sponsors. Take a look at Rockin' R ranch.

It would be helpful if you could provide some information about your physical condition, expectations (wilderness horseback hunt vs. Ranch-lodge-cabin hunt) and your possible budget.

21-Apr-16
Hi Adam,

My maps offer a much more economical approach to an expensive guide and can help in the DIY realm. Just a thought.

Mike

22-Apr-16
Let me tell you a little story I am originally from Nebraska I moved out here in 2006. I had never elk hunted in my life the first time I went was about 5 years later. I went and got an over the counter tag this is the first time that I went to hunt this area no scouting before hand other than looking on google maps for likely areas. the first day was pretty quit second day me and my two boys hered a few bugles third day we cow called had one almost ran us over, what a rush.forth day we split up I went to the top of one mountain boys went back to same spot as day before I shot a 300+ 5x5 best day of my life.5th day my oldest called in and shot a 6x6.7th day my youngest called in and shot another 6x6 pure luck maybe but just so you know you don't have to have a guide we didn't.Just get out there I still don't know chit about elk but it is a rush to here those elk bugle.

22-Apr-16

Rocking R's Link
As Jaquomo said, we are a Bowsite sponsor and we take a lot of Bowsiters archery hunting every year.

Thanks for the consideration.

Dan Reardon

Rocking R Outfitters

22-Apr-16
Yep, "limited time, passion to hunt, know nothing about elk hunting-- YES, hire a guide if you can afford it.

Now, if you do, learn as much about elk and archery elk hunting as you can prior to the hunt. Be physical ready to hunt from day one.

The statewide odds of killing an archer elk in an oTC unit is only 10%. and the odds of killing one the very first time out may be 1%.

Good luck and have fun as it will not be the only time you will elk hunt.

my best, Paul

22-Apr-16
I agree as well. Limited time, most likely little to no gear & no elk hunting experience are a few strikes against you, a guide would certainly be in order! I have no personal experience with guides but would certainly consider Dan being a Bowsite Sponsor! Have fun & good luck!

ElkNut1

22-Apr-16
I hired a guide for my first trip. (Full draw outfitters) I only needed 2 more steps on a big 6x6 on the third day. (dang wind) I consider it money well spent. You get to concentrate on hunting and learning as much as you can without worrying about area, camp, food etc. etc. After that it was know problem to go on a DIY hunt. Ill be returning for my third trip this year.

22-Apr-16
I am also from Wisconsin, new almost nothing about elk hunting. I reached out to some people on this site, read as much as I could practiced many hours with my calling, watched videos both dvds and on youtube saw some things that worked and things that did not. Went to Colorado on a DIY hunt drop camp,My group struck out but I was able to call in 3 6x6 bulls we had a miss and a screw up(rookie mistake). If you are willing to work and ask for help you can do the DIY hunt. I would not have done it differently so satisfying, can not wait until this fall to get redemption, GOOD LUCK

• Sitka Gear