Kevin Dill 24-Apr-16
Beendare 24-Apr-16
Lost Arra 24-Apr-16
Dooner 24-Apr-16
MQQSE 24-Apr-16
greenmountain 24-Apr-16
Beendare 24-Apr-16
23-Apr-16
Many of us travel via air to hunt, which is getting more difficult every year for various reasons (age being one of them). In the past I used to just check my large duffle bags, which were basically large bags with one compartment and a long zipper running the length of the bag. These bags are light but rather unpleasant to travel with.

There has to be a high quality bag out there that has wheels on it, is made of quality material, and has compartments to segregate gear appropriately. Please feel free to offer any suggestions you have. Weight of the bag is important to me as is the ability to roll the bag through the airport.

I figured I would put this on the elk forum since it probably attracts the most travelling hunters on Bowsite.

Thanks in advance.

MQQSE

23-Apr-16
Badlands Terra Glide. It'll even hold your bow.

23-Apr-16
I like the Sitka stuff a lot.

The carry-on is a bit smaller than the others, but that makes it easier to carry on, esp. when you're on a smaller plane.

The duffle has wheels, which is great for hauling across a parking lot or through an airport.

23-Apr-16
+1 for the Badlands Terra Glide

23-Apr-16
I have that Sitka Nomad....and like it a lot. I don't ever use my SKB double anymore. I put my bow in a soft case in the bottom of the bag and then clothing and gear on top.

Its only 11#, so you can effecitvely put a lot of gear in there and still be under the 50# max

23-Apr-16
Sitka Nomad is very nice. Would fit your needs nicely. Sitka also has some new "basic" water resistant duffels coming in June.

23-Apr-16
I found a large rolling duffle by a company called Granite gear. Nice large compartments to separate gear, and it has backpack straps and belt that are self contained when not in use. I found it looking for a bag for a dive trip, but used it on our African hunt and it has worked great so far.

24-Apr-16
I use Ogio motocross gear bags. They have wheels, pull out handle and are rugged.

24-Apr-16
The Sitka Nomad is well thought out. I've taken two of them everywhere from Alaska to Africa and I can fit everything I need for two weeks and hit the 50# weight limit. They strap together as well to make rolling them around a little more streamlined.

24-Apr-16
Rolling duffle bags are convenient, but they are heavier than a single compartment bag. Most airlines specify a maximum weight of 50 pounds per bag before applying over weight charges. So every pound that goes into the rolling part is one less pound for your gear. I switched from a Cabela's rolling duffle to their regular duffle. My bow case has wheels, so I attach my duffle to it with a nylon strap. That let's me get around the airport pretty easily and maximizes the weight for my gear.

24-Apr-16
X2 on Goldy, just strap it on a rolling bow case, give you more gear

24-Apr-16
I used to use a big Cabela's rolling duffel but gave up on it. Too heavy...too bulky...not enough quality in components. I haven't (yet) owned another rolling duffel, but I've got my eye on the Sitka Nomad...couple of them. In the meantime I've been doing the plain large zippered duffel and it works well, if unwieldy at times. Many trips to Alaska and Hawaii with it without a hitch.

24-Apr-16
Yeah, I looked at the Cabelas and a couple others before I got the nomad- they were all about 8# more in weight, just for the bag itself. That 50# limit restricts you with those big heavy pieces of luggage.

The nomads bottom is hard enough to protect a bow and with clothing over the top you can stand on it and not break anything- its a winner...and they go on sale in the off season bought mine for 40% off.

I would disagree with Goldys comment...you want wheels on these big bags...and at 11#...they are as light as anything out there of comparable size.

24-Apr-16
I use Eagle Creek No Matter What rolling duffel.

It's not quite as rolling stable for high speed travel thru airports as the more rigid models like Sitka but it only weighs about 4 lbs instead of 8-10lbs. and it's a LOT better than carrying it while shouldering a carry-on pack!

24-Apr-16
I have two Terra Glides. I have to much money and time invested in these hunts to not bring along a back-up bow packed in a separate bag.

The TG are about $100 less Than the Sitka Nomad, and ~4" shorter. The inside clearance of the Terra Glide is about 37.75". You should measure your bow's outside cam to cam length before deciding. I like the different compartments the TG has, and they are a well made rolling duffle made for bowhunters. The Nomad looks interesting, is 4" longer, and $100 more. Below are a couple links:

https://www.sitkagear.com/products/solids/packs-bags/nomad

http://www.badlandspacks.com/terra-glide-wheeled-trunk

24-Apr-16
I decided to go with the Badlands Terra Glide. I was on the fence between it and the Sitka model.

I am trying to find someone who has the Sitka Rambler carry-on bag for sale and can't find that one in stock anywhere. If anyone knows where I could get one, please let me know. I've worn Google out. I am off for Brown Bear in a few weeks and would love to have it by then.

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

24-Apr-16
Check out the LL Bean line. I am looking at my old bag that I have had around the world several times. It is battle scarred but then so am I. You don't have to pay much more for excellent quality.

24-Apr-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Heres a pic of that Nomad with my 34" ATA hoyt spyder

• Sitka Gear