Treeline 29-Apr-16
Charlie Rehor 29-Apr-16
grasshopper 29-Apr-16
Jaquomo 29-Apr-16
TheSaint 29-Apr-16
Coyote 65 29-Apr-16
Treeline 30-Apr-16
26-Apr-16
Looking to purchase elk land in north west colorado. Spending 1,000,000 to 1,500,000. What units would someone prefer to spend this amount money on land. I was looking at a parcel in unit 31.

26-Apr-16
My advice is to not buy one big place, instead, buy several smaller parcels that border landlocked public land in a few different units and then take me hunting with you.

26-Apr-16
Thanks! That does make sence. But when you buy smaller pieces of land that price per acre increases! i guess you can hunt the land locked public off setting the price per acre- but then you have to deal with the other land owners. Any ideas on a unit you would prefer?

26-Apr-16
Anyplace in the flattops

26-Apr-16
Anything with decent elk hunting will run around $2000 per acre in most areas. Some of those may have elk part of the season, not other times.

For reference, a 2500 acre parcel that I used to hunt in NW CO, which was BLM and then became private during a land trade, recently sold for $4.6M. It has two very small cabins, a small stream with so-so fishing, and is inaccessible except by snowmobile for 6 months out of the year. It has very good hunting during archery and the first two rifle seasons. But the only thing it is really good for is elk hunting for a few people each season.

I know a Bowsiter who specializes in brokering hunting properties in CO. He is a serious hunter and knows his stuff. PM me with your email and I'll hook you up.

26-Apr-16
you can go on a lot of premium elk hunts for just the interest on 1.5 million. just sayin

26-Apr-16
I know of a property of about 4,000 acres near Hayden. I think it is priced around 4 Million. I know that it is excellent hunting and has a nice cabin. A friend of mine has the listing on this property and has been hunting it for many years. PM me with your email if you are interested and I will have him contact you. I have hunted a neighboring property for many years and I know it's full of elk.

26-Apr-16
The 31 land could be good. There are big chunks of private that let elk grow older even though it is an OTC area.

I live in Grand Junction and have hunted 31. If you want you can contact me to get my opinion on that specific piece.

27-Apr-16
I would suggest buying one property. Owning land even without buildings is a lot of maintenance. Trees fall over roads. Roads wash out. Fences fail. Add in buildings and you are maintaining roofs, etc, and may have break-ins by meth heads or stupid people.

What is your goal? Land without a caretaker? Retire there? Turn into a revenue source from crops or livestock or hunters or campers or timber sales, etc?

If you will live there are you are anywhere near 50 then consider distance to a good medical center for checkups and if something goes wrong. Will family fly out to visit? Being near an airport they would use is a benefit.

The above considerations may narrow your geographic search and then I would find a buyer's agent who lives in that area (raised there would be ideal) that deals in the size of transaction you are considering and let them do the footwork.

Use a lawyer obviously in a transaction of this size.

27-Apr-16
My outfitter friend leases 200 acres with hay fields. There is a vast expanse of public and a national park nearby. The elk come to his hay fields sometimes by the hundreds when they are pressured on the public land. The place is up for sale. Comes with a house and barns for about what you are looking at spending.

27-Apr-16
Ive been hunting elk for 25+yrs....Elk are quasi nomadic......do not buy "elk land" unless you can afford to buy at least 20,000 acres.

Buy a great piece of vacation property.... Somewhere.......and do an elk trip every year....guided or DIY and save yourself a bunch of money and frustration..

Good luck and keep us posted,

Mark

27-Apr-16
I have hunted 31 quite a bit since I live in GJ, there are plenty of elk in the right areas, though typical OTC quality bulls with an outside chance at a good bull. I assume it is over 160 acres? You would be able to get a deer voucher every year as well and there is potential for big deer there! I would look at 31 more for the deer than elk....

27-Apr-16

cnelk's Link
Here ya go

see link

27-Apr-16

I sure wouldn't pay $1,500,000 to shoot elk in a hay field every year. I like to actually hunt elk not just shoot elk.

27-Apr-16
We don't know his intentions for this land. Heck, he could be the head of PETA, for all we know.

27-Apr-16
Chad, I see you're from WI. Are you this guy, or is it another Chad Kopchinski from WI? Looks like this guy is a rifle and bowhunter too.

WAUSAU, Wis. (WSAU) – A Wausau man who was drunk and texting on his cell phone when he crashed into a State Patrol squad car this fall has pled guilty to his fourth drunken driving offense.

Chad Kopchinski had faced several other charges, including being a felon in possession of a firearm. But prosecutors agreed to dismiss those charges as part of a plea agreement.

The 37-year-old Kopchinski will be sentenced next week. He may be eligible for Marathon County's OWI court, where a judge will track his progress and could amend the charges if he meets certain conditions.

According to court documents, Kopchinski rear-ended Trooper Rick Graveen's squad car at a stoplight on Bridge Street October 27th. Police found empty beer cans and an uncased rifle in the car with a bullet nearby that looked as if it had just been ejected from the gun's chamber. Police also found an uncased bow and arrows in the back seat of the car.

Kopchinski had a blood alcohol level of 0.132, according to a preliminary breath test. The legal limit of intoxication in Wisconsin is 0.08. But Kopchinski is not supposed to have a blood alcohol level higher than 0.04 because of prior convictions.

27-Apr-16
Such a common name, it probably is some other guy :-)

I did a search a couple of years ago for a guy who wanted to buy a elk hunting ranch and did not want to hunt in a hayfield. I could not find one for under 4 mil and that was about 5 years ago, so prob more than that now.

Even at 2.5% interest, 1.5 mil would bring in $37,500/year. More than enough for 2-3 guys to hunt on a great private ranch hunt. I pretty much made the conclusion that buying enough acres to actually "hunt" for elk on that property is not very practical in this day and age unless you want to sit on a field.

Of course, just because he wants to buy a ranch for that amount, doesn't mean he has that much, just enough to make the payments.

27-Apr-16
I used to dream about owning elk hunting land, but now having been on about 10 elk hunts the thought of purchasing land to hunt elk seems unnecessary. There's so much available public land that holds elk and the cover such a huge range that it almost seems pointless to own a few hundred acres to hunt them. I would put the money into a place that is nearby a huge National Forest with a great elk population that would let me hunt elk within about a 15-20 minute drive. Id look for an area that let me draw or purchase a tag every year and really get to know the unit, not just the little plot of land I could own. Save some of the money you'd have to use on buying the acreage and put it towards a premium elk hunt in addition to your home base hunt!

27-Apr-16
Thanks to all of you with your suggestions. And no I am not that guy. Lol

27-Apr-16
Send a Pm to "TheSaint". He is a successful hunting ranch real estate guy, a successful bow hunter and great guy! Good luck! C

27-Apr-16
Spend a lot less and buy a place in pike city ILfor 3.5 months of hunting and take the rest and use the interest to go on guide hunts at the best places for the week or two. Buffalo cry in your state ain't to bad either

27-Apr-16
I own two parcels in buffalo county WI. Plan on keeping my 40 and selling my larger parcel. Land hear in buffalo county is going for 5-6 grand an acre. Much less then land out west. I have hunted all my life here for whitetails but the past ten years have been bowhunting elk in the western states. I plan on relocating to one of the western states. My personal preference is to bowhunt elk before whitetail any time. I can still hunt the whitetail rut here in Wisconsin. I have to live out there to spend the time learning areas. I was trying to get some bowhunters opinions on buying land out west. It was helpful to get others perspectives. I am in touch with St. James reality. They seem like a respectable Real-estate business. Thanks for all the replies

27-Apr-16
Yes, Blayne was who I was going to recommend. He has some top-notch properties.

Best of luck!

27-Apr-16
I believe you need at least 160 acres to apply for landowner tags. And you would also need to look at stats to see odds for drawing a landowner tag and regular tags. Isn't unit 20 a draw only unit?

28-Apr-16
It looks like your money will go a lot further in WY and ID, and even MT. Of course if you're set on CO that limits you a bit.

I find myself amused when someone asks about buying land, and they get the suggestion to "just go on a lot of out of state hunts instead". I always wonder if they run the rest of their life that way too. What's right for one isn't necessarily right for someone else, some rent a place to live, some buy. Some lease a car or truck, some buy. Some take a fixed rate mortgage, some a variable. When you own You can buy something at today's prices, and sell it at the prices of the future. When you rent, you always pay the going market rate.

The way I look at it, the land I own is mine to do with as I wish. Hunt, improve, divide, build on, pass on to my kids, sell.

The feeling and satisfaction of owning means something to me, and the appreciation and possibility of making a substantial profit is always nice as well.

Good luck Koppa, the search is often a lot of fun. Please keep us posted on what you find, and what you end up doing.

28-Apr-16
Looks like it takes 2-11 points to draw a bull tag in unit 20, so unless you get a landowner tag you couldn't hunt very often. That said, it looks like drawing a landowner tag was pretty easy? Not sure if I am looking at stats right, but looks like everyone that applied as a first choice got an archery tag last year.

28-Apr-16
if you have that kind of dinero you would be better off paying Ted Turner 10 grand a year to hunt his Northern NM ranch. You don't have to worry about vandals, property taxes and in the end you will still have money left to by a little cabin on a river somewhere.

28-Apr-16
My thoughts are that if you're looking to buy land with the priority being elk hunting, I think the money is better spent elsewhere. I'd love to have a place out west for all the reasons Ace mentioned. Elk hunting on my property wouldn't be one of them. I just don't think you're going to get much for the money related to elk hunting -- at least not the kind of elk hunting experience that I look for.

28-Apr-16
Interesting Steve, how is recommending coloproperty.com to someone soliciting recommendations a violation of bowsite rules? Is coloproperty a competitor of bowsite sponsors?

28-Apr-16
Looks like Steve got booted altogether. Bummer, because he has some good stuff, but it's against forum rules to promote your own business without becoming a sponsor.

28-Apr-16
colorado was a great place, many years ago. now, it is liberal land. hunting pressure is high even in hard to access areas.

the quality hunting areas are now almost all once in a lifetime propositions.

i have lived in colorado since 1987, if it were not for work, i would have left 4 or 5 years ago. north to idaho or montana is where i would go.

28-Apr-16
Within the next several years, I'll own property in the Rockies.

What I won't be doing, is trying to buy property to hunt elk on.

What I will be doing, is buying a place that gives me access to a few drainages that the public has either no access to, or requires a long horseback ride to get to.

Those places in CO cost 3-20 times what they cost in NM, WY, ID, and MT.

29-Apr-16
This^^^

29-Apr-16
Well, the thing about buying the right property.... it (normally) will go up in resale value as you own it. An investment above and beyond any hunting. A good deal of the money put into it is likely deductible. Unlike trespass fees and LO tags you still have the asset after using it. Could very well hunt it for many years and when done.... make a profit selling it.... um, maybe.... all investments come with risks....

It is interesting. I don't know about CO specifically.... but owning the right property in the right place in many states gets you tags. Many times tags you can use or resell as you wish over the whole unit. Every year. Interesting.... but for me just a flight of fantasy and pause to indulge in "what ifs"....

You might want to consult with the Nigerian Generals that are ponying up the cash first though... =D

29-Apr-16
BUY we only walk this world once if u can afford to buy some land go do it ! I love owning land and thats my plan is to own out west.

29-Apr-16
They can print money 24/7, but they can't make more land. Better buy it while you can.

I heard Trump is shooting a flag all the way to Mars to claim ownership and build a golf course... What a visionary.

29-Apr-16
I haven't gone away Lou!

I think I have posted 4 or 5 times in the thread with very valuable info about about Colorado and real estate, and the Grand Puhba of thread monitor Nazi's, Charlie, seems to keep deleting me.

To quote my pastor - You have to have truth, coupled with Grace.

The truth is Charlie is recommending a broker, who is not a bowsite sponsor. Yet, If I come on here, offer information as a seasoned professional and lawfully disclose I am broker, I get deleted because by his arbitrary definition thats "advertising".

My real estate attorney likes to say, if it smells like fish, its probably fish. He'd also say the fact pattern here tells a story, read between the lines.

I couldn't defend myself last night because I was testifying of behalf of hunters in the center of Colorado's anti-hunter universe before the Boulder County Parks and Open Space Board. They have a resident, non migratory herd of 230 plus elk that is destroying one of their three most prized Bio-diverse ecosystems - Rabbit Mountain. The CPW has spent $215,000 of sportsman dollars on game damage by these elk. That's sportsmen dollars that could be used for research, habitat improvements or hunter access but wasn't because Boulder county doesn't allow any hunting. I wouldn't be surprised if Boulder county is the largest landowner in Boulder county, and I have heard they have a 20 million dollar annual budget to buy land that hunters don't get to hunt.

The board brought in Rocky Mountain National Park to talk about what a success they have had with night time sharp shooter culling of elk, and fencing to restore their biodiversity. The discussion included how Boulder county could consider elk contraception, engaging a massive volunteer army to haze elk, building giant fences around the corn fields the elk raid, using game warden sharp shooters to cull elk, and YES - introducing wolves onto the 5,000 acre parcel to cull elk.

I'm not the enemy guys, and I'm not harming bowsite by disclosing I am broker, and answering direct questions from the OP.

I consider you guys as my brothers, you have my Grace and personal efforts so we can all hunt. If you care to delete this post, I won't hold it against you but just find it odd and a double standard that others can post an add from Hall and Hall, we can get a recommendation for someone else, but if I say anything that's an unacceptable violation.

Think about it, and Thanks for hearing me out.

29-Apr-16
Look hard at the cost of ownership (land price and taxes) and residency (taxes) and weigh it against what you can get in different states in the west. Colorado is one of the higher priced options. You will probably be surprised at how little you will get for your money here.

I have lived in CO in the mountains for a long time now and am seriously considering Wyoming, Montana, Idaho or even Alaska as an option. When I bought my current house last year, I was looking around and found an awesome place in Wyoming for about the same price. Near some great trout fishing with 400 acres, shop, barns, and house 2x the size of this one. The land included irrigated fields and bordered BLM, State and USFS lands. There were deer and antelope on the property and probably some elk wandering through at certain times of the year. Hoping this house goes up in value so I can sell it and leave...

Wyoming is hurting for jobs right now and it would be a great time to find deals on property up there. As a Wyoming resident, you can get general tags for deer and elk every year and have better odds on drawing tags. Set up in the right place and you can hop over to other states for lots of great hunting and fishing.

29-Apr-16

Charlie Rehor's Link
grasshopper: This is Charlie the "Nazi"

Above you stated "Charlie is recommending a broker who is not a Bowsite Sponsor" I have attached the link to Blayne St. James Website. His handle is "TheSaint" Blayne has negotiated sponsorship with Pat to be the "exclusive" Real Estate Broker on Bowsite for the State of Colorado.

We protect our Sponsors from non-sponsors solicitation as they enable us to support Bowsite. If you guys are interested in Colorado Real Estate send Blayne an email. Owning Real Estate is very cool! C

Koppa3003: Sorry your thread got derailed. Good Luck! C

29-Apr-16

grasshopper's Link
Doesn't seem to show on the list at the link Charlie.

I meant no offense, its just the oversight seems excessive, overbearing and controlling. Forgive me if I was out of line.

29-Apr-16
Not only water rights, but the ability to drill a well. Some of the mountain aquifers in CO are oversubscribed, and no more well permits are given out in that area. People buy water and pay to have it delivered to fill cisterns for their houses and livestock.

Water rights can be as valuable as the land. The City of Thornton bought up more than 100 irrigated ranches in NoCo specifically for the water rights. Now they are building a huge pipeline down to Denver, called the "Big Straw", to suck our water down there for lawns and golf courses, and they will dry up the ranches. Those ranches will be worth way less than before, practically worthless.

My fishing lake may become a dry lakebed for part of the year, because the irrigation company that owns the water is part of the Big Suck".

So definitely do your homework.

29-Apr-16
Koppa3003,

I literally just got back home from previewing a couple ranches in NW CO. As others have already stated, the trophy elk potential typically is somewhat lacking in this region but the densities are excellent. There are lots of options out there with some areas having more invest potential than others. I'll shoot you a PM after this post. I spend countless hrs driving and checking places out and can definitely help you out.

My company (St. James Sporting Properties) primarily specializes in marketing/selling recreational hunting and fishing properties. We'll start ramping up advertising here on Bowsite in the next couple weeks. Posting pics, links, content etc. Right now I'm about to crash....long couple days on the road! Plus fingers can't type very fast on my iPad :)

29-Apr-16
If I had that kinda money to sink into land I would look at NM. I have a cabin in AZ in 23N, if I didn't I would have bought land in NM. Lots cheaper than AZ.

Terry

30-Apr-16
I looked at a little cabin there in Young a couple of years ago. Pretty pricy for sure. AZ land is high priced and you probably won't get to hunt elk in the rut in 23 very often. Love that whole country in there, though.

Koppa3003, another thing to take into consideration in various parts of CO is the winter. Still getting snowed on here in NW CO. Some green-up starting out there, but it is a long cold winter in this part of the state. I lived in Leadville for many years and, even though it is at 10,000', I think the winters are worse here at 7,000' than up there. Colder and more snow. Has to do with the aspect of the mountains and how the weather hits. The mud season here in NW CO lasts FOREVER! In the rockier country in Central CO, there is not much of this mess.

Still would take a hard look at WY. Better elk hunting on a General tag that you can get every year than in all but the best units of CO. There are areas in WY that are pretty special and the prices are certainly better.

• Sitka Gear