wifishkiller 27-Apr-16
Thunder Head 28-Apr-16
Beendare 28-Apr-16
Jgrossetete 28-Apr-16
SoDakSooner 28-Apr-16
kiwi 29-Apr-16
Booner 06-May-16
27-Apr-16
I didnt draw in my home state of NM. Any suggestions of where to hunt in Colorado for elk/archery? thanks

27-Apr-16
Any and all of the OTC units have elk.

You can start your research on the CPW interactive website, and after you narrow it down, maybe come on here with some specific questions about specific units? The website offers hunter numbers, success rates, summer range, migration routes, and public/private land ownership.

Just don't put too much stock in the published success rates. Private land and outfitted hunters will really skew the ratio, and in some units they only survey a few random folks and extrapolate, so the numbers can be way off. In my unit they are off by at least 10%.

Otherwise, throw a dart and go hunting because your dart could hit an elk in any of the OTC areas.

27-Apr-16
Any suggestions? Were thinking Durango

27-Apr-16
When throwing your dart, try not to hit the eastern 1/3 of the OTC map. ;^)

I would hunt one of the units close to the border. Not sure driving farther north would get you into a better OTC spot. North of Chama around Cumbres Pass, around Pagosa Springs, or Durango are all good spots to put on the list of possibilities.

27-Apr-16
Yeah Glunt@work sounds like a plan. Just need to research and scout in those areas before hand. Have you personally ever hunted any of those areas

27-Apr-16
Only hunted on private near Chromo with a cow tag so I don't have any spots to help but its great country. I would like to learn more but I live in Northern CO and usually closer to home.

27-Apr-16
In different forums im hearing pagosa springs or Durango

27-Apr-16
Having grown up and hunted here all my life I've watched the hunting pressure absolutely explode, especially archery. I may just be perturbed, but isn't anyone else tired of these kinds of blanket general requests about hunting areas is a state that is absolutely overrun with pressure as it is? I could understand a more specific request wherein a guys asks for PM's, but come on. I'm sure every guy that works his ass off in the areas that are being thrown around are reading this and cussing everyone involved. Whatever happened to getting off your ass and driving here to look for yourself, especially when you're in the next state over.

27-Apr-16
Helping a guy is voluntary but is a trade mark of the Bowsite Community. I have benefited greatly from helpful guys on Bowsite and have been able to help a few in return. C

27-Apr-16
Thanks Charie. Some hunters are just ignorant. That's like me saying Colorado residents should only hunt in Colorado

27-Apr-16
It sounds like some sort of a typical oil man always trying to talk down to people because of his title.

27-Apr-16
Ptaft, it doesn't bother me general question gets general answers. Hunted a lot around Durango, elk country can be anywhere from desert country to alpine high country and anywhere in between.

The downer about that country is there isn't a ton of access for the amount of people, so be prepared to see camps along the roads. Load up a pack and walk more then 500 yards from the road and you should find elk. Just be mobile, like anywhere new country means boot leather.

28-Apr-16
you have a PM

28-Apr-16
The added advantage to hunting around Durango is its a cool little town, it has the train and a couple good brew pubs if you decide to take an afternoon off and go into town to have dinner.

I've hunted many parts of Co OTC and I can tell you there is no "secret spot". There is a secret sauce to being successful and that is to hunt longer, smarter and harder than the hoardes. You have to be willing to; 1) lace up your boots and cover a lot of country 2) go into areas others don't want to hunt 3) be in those areas at prime time- before light and at dark

Follow those rules and as many have said, throw a dart!

28-Apr-16
Thanks guys for all the positive feedback. It sounds like a challenge but that is the way hunting should be.

28-Apr-16
Agreed Beendare. Nice town. We hunted quite a bit north, but needed a midweek refresher. durango was the closest town. It was a pretty cool little place.

29-Apr-16
Great info in thread, thanks! Hoping to hunt the Durango in the next few years.

06-May-16
If you are thinking Durango check out Highlands Unlimited

• Sitka Gear