ElkNut1 29-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 29-Apr-16
Norseman 29-Apr-16
Beendare 29-Apr-16
ElkNut1 30-Apr-16
coelker 04-May-16
ElkNut1 05-May-16
28-Apr-16
This is a phrase that is used quite often during our archery elk hunts. We all need to consider the wind no doubt on our approach in all phases whether it be treestand, ground blinds, spot & stalk or running & gunning elk. But those of us that primarily hunt elk on the ground & are calling elk to us how often do elk really try to come in downwind of our setups?

Why would an elk want to come in downwind? Maybe our calling causes suspicion? Incoming elk caught our movement & are unsure so they let their noses be the judge!

My mind doesn't recall as much as I'd like but I've looked back at our last 15 elk & was very surprised at the conclusion. What have you noticed?

ElkNut1

28-Apr-16
I've noticed if they are directly downwind they don't come in.;) The few elk I've called came straight from where the were and didn't circle downwind.

28-Apr-16
Some do and some don't.

28-Apr-16
Yes, some do some don't. But what percentage would you say they do or don't? Of course a hunter would require having quite a few elk called in to have a respectable idea. Thanks!

ElkNut1

28-Apr-16
Just depends on how stupid he is on the love punch at that time. All NA game animals are way more vulnerable when the rut is on, and just b/c it seems its blowing up some just aren't feeling it yet and maintain their wits.

28-Apr-16

28-Apr-16
I agree Ohio, It all has to do with timing IMO. I like to hunt the pre-rut and from what I've noticed the majority of bulls that time of year will come into to my herd talk sequence silent. It's those silent bulls coming to check things out that seem to take precaution and "circle" the area so to speak before you ever get any indication they are even there. Now, when the rut seems to kick in full speed and I start to incorporate some bugles into my sequence this is when I've seen bulls just come unglued and charge in ready for a fight no matter what the wind is doing. Truth is, not all elk are the same and some will behave differently to the like situation. I've had rutting bulls take precaution and circle downwind plenty as well. I think hunting pressure in the area has a lot to do with their behavior in this situation also. So many variables.

28-Apr-16
Sometimes

28-Apr-16
"So many variables." x1000000

28-Apr-16
I agree guys! With taking all into consideration & not a few isolated encounters where bulls are rut crazed it's interesting how many elk do not worry about the wind. Taking into account Blind/Cold calling setups, Advertising/Breeding Sequences, using cow calling, using only bugles throughout the month of Sept. It's a good way to get a broad perspective when rutting & not rutting.

We hunt primarily wolf country where you'd assume elk were on edge most of the time but it's interesting to note how few elk do not try to come in down-wind. This doesn't mean we should exclude the wind but it's more rare for elk to come in down-wind for us that the opposite. Maybe we're just fortunate but I would say 15% of all encounters elk come in or attempt to come in down-wind. This means 85% do not for us. Maybe it has a lot to do with our aggressive calling style? Food for thought!

ElkNut1

28-Apr-16
I hunt OTC units and find that almost always the older bulls will circle down wind. In fact I have never had a mature 6 that did not attempt to circle down wind. This is where having a caller back 60-70 yards at least is a huge advantage as the shooter can move and adjust to the elks actions. Having helped with 2 hunts on a trophy unit, we never had a bull attempt to get down wind, they simply came straight in all the time. I would assume that any bull who has 5 years under their belt has had a few encounters with archery hunters and muzzy hunters, as a result despite the love bug they are by nature a little more cautious.

Coyotes are the same way, a 1 year old dog will come on a line, but most of the mature dogs we kill will always circle wind. Sometimes they do it 800 yards out, other times 100 yards out but they almost always will end up down wind if given the chance.

I also think that circling down wind gives a bull the ability to identify cows, check for other bulls etc.

28-Apr-16
coelker, very good points & really appreciate you shedding light on the subject as it has helped a lot in trying to see what some main differences are!

We too hunt heavily pressured OTC units & have worked & taken many 6 point bulls. The difference is they rarely attempt to come in down wind but you find that they do for you. Now I think I can see why! (grin)

I believe the difference is our calling styles. When we are working herd bulls or herd type quality bulls we are generally aggressive with the majority of them. We pose a Threat to nearly all these bulls & take the action right at them. We do not sit back in most cases & use cow calling & wimpy bugles to coax them in. We prefer in your face & force them to commit once we are in very close. I think this has reduced if not all but eliminated bulls trying to circle down wind of us. The longer an encounter goes on the more likely a bull will have opportunity to become suspicious & this could lead to his circling to make sure what he's dealing with. Again, more food for thought! Thanks!

ElkNut1

28-Apr-16
I have had them sneak down wind on cold calling setups. I would say other than that they come from wherever they were as terrain dictates. Its like they are sold completely or not at all.

28-Apr-16
Depends on the terrain, other elk activity in the area, how good or bad you are as a caller, etc...

28-Apr-16
There are many factors. I believe most of the time they will come in a straight line.. When they do circle I think they are using both their eyes and nose to try and locate the elk. That's why terrain and cover is so critical. I like having the caller in heavy cover and the shooter situated so he can see a lot more. I also don't like to have the shooter more than 50 yards from the caller. In my experience most of the time when they come they come straight to the caller. We have had quite a few opportunities blown when the bull came right to the caller and the shooter.

28-Apr-16
IME, When calling in thick cover, more often than not they try to circle in a little to get your wind.

When using a decoy....they almost never circle and mostly come straight in

28-Apr-16
They nearly always try top come in from downwind...until they smell you, then they leave. But they cannot always head into the wind, or they would all be along the pacific coast. One trick I have used is find where the "turn the corner" coming into their bedding area in the am. They "walk right by" if setup correctly

28-Apr-16
Thanks guys, I appreciate the comments, this is very good stuff for those newer & veteran elk hunters alike!

Beendare, good insight on the decoy thought! I plan on using the Predator one this year for the first time, I really think there's a spot for it, right time right bull. (grin)

ElkNut1

28-Apr-16
Early on that was a big problem with my setups. I was calling in bulls but these days most have been either called in before, or been beaten up before. They want to know what they are getting themselves into before they 100% commit. They swing downwind and poof... it's all over. I got good at calling.... my setups sucked. Big difference between calling in elk and killing elk.

What Beendare said, dekes can really make a big difference. I've seen em come in on a rope when they see it.

That and if you are really in close they pretty much have to decide at the moment to either flee or fight what ever the wind.

My setups now had been getting much better, involve setting upwind on edges of clearings, where the bull has to cross or come out into an opening to work his way downwind of you. Most do not want to, like hitting a wall and will skirt the edge and work in at the best angle they can without exposing themselves.

Another tactic especially if solo is call and move downwind yourself. Have to be quiet after that and catch em sneaking in. Have done that mostly rattling deer, they pin your position and hard to even get drawn on them if you don't move. But it has worked on elk. Tough because once you make your last call and move you are pretty committed to staying quiet and waiting it out.

Always makes sense if partnered up to put the shooter downwind from the caller if possible.

28-Apr-16
I've used those montanas a lot and as a followup.....they do sometimes still try to loop in and wind the decoy. I always assume they will as even with a visual reference they always put more credence in their sense of smell- as I'm sure everyone knows by now- grin.

With 2 guys its pretty easy to have a good setup...solo is a little trickier.

There have been a bunch of great ambush spots i've seen in the mtns for elk...but that dang shifty wind or thermals makes them no good.

28-Apr-16
I have hunted mostly water holes, from a tree stand, for well over 20 years now. The water is usually in a depression and often below a bedding area. About 75% of the elk I kill come in during the evening when the diurnal winds are down hill. Obviously the elk have the wind at their back. I would say, if an elk purposely circles to get the wind advantage, they are suspicious something is wrong. Under normal circumstances they don't pay attention to the wind.

28-Apr-16
My experiences with decoying are very in line with Beendare.

One reason I suspect that a bull takes semicircular path toward the downwind side of the decoy, is that he is a little anxious to see if the "cow" is ripe for harvest, if you know what I mean.

The bulls I have watched do it do not seem nervous once they spot the decoy...it's more like they are on a mission.

Best of Luck, Jeff

29-Apr-16
I've only called in 3 bulls that I know about. All downwind and hightailed it out of there. I now watch and expect that to be the direction. I've resorted to beendare's approach to call and move downwind a bit. I'll have to watch and try for the edge of the clearing setup and see how that works.

The only elk coming in from upwind was a young cow that came running in wondering where that lost calf was constantly calling out. She'd run off and I'd call her right back in. Never could get a shot before she finally circled down wind.

Andy

29-Apr-16
Yes, when calling elk to a setup we do our best to force incoming elk to come in from our right, left or from straight ahead. This is important so you remove or make it difficult for them to approach in a manner to get your wind. My son & I have called in 100's of bulls all on OTC DIY hunts & rare do we have the down wind issue.

All these call ins & not once did we use a decoy. I believe decoys are a good thing for many hunters & the areas they hunt but the situation needs to be right. We generally choose a thick area where elk are forced to come closer to locate us. We do not give them the luxury of spotting the "calling spot" outside of bowrange so a decoy in those instances are not necessary.

When working herd bulls we rarely have a setup where we are more than 20 yards apart, it's in your face calling which greatly reduces the down wind issue. Or we are calling & heading straight at the bull not giving him a chance to move on us. This style may not be for everyone but we kill a whole lot of elk with these styles!

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
The wind direction in a setup can be coming straight at the caller or from his left or right side. This means if wind is hitting caller on left cheek his shooter would cheat to the right of center, if wind is hitting on right cheek the shooter would cheat left of center. The shooter needs to be balanced in his moving off center to make sure he is still in range if elk comes straight in as well. You try to cover all bases at these times!

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
If I hunted with someone and believed the bull will come in from down wind, which my limited experience says will happen, then I'd place the other hunter about 60 yards downwind in hopes they are far enough down there to intercept the bull before he gets down far enough to wind me/us.

On 2 occasions, I know the bull was upwind when I started calling and they went way out of their way to circle around to downwind.

I hunt Colorado OTC units.

29-Apr-16
Is it possible your setup is too open? When elk are coming to the callers calling if the elk get to a spot where they know they should see the elk they hear that's when the suspicion can arise? They don't see the movement elk can make or an elk at all so they start their down wind circle to confirm elk or no elk!

Tighten up your setup, as the caller you should not be able to see very far ahead of you & you should not see incoming elk very easily. If you can at any point see them then they can pinpoint your calling spot, eliminate that & it will reduce the down wind issue.

I believe most of us here hunt mostly OTC country. Thanks for your thoughts!

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
Downwind?

1. if I am hunting a cross wind they are more likely to trying to get downwind of the caller.

2. not so much if I am straight downwind

3. I mostly hunt solo, so I call, rake, for a few minutes-to 10 minutes, and drop back 50-60 yards just in case an unseen elk tries to circle down wind. I stop calling at this hid. I locate this drop back hid location prior to calling so I know I have a good hid/shooting spot.

by best, Paul

29-Apr-16
Paul, very unusual approach there! It seems if you drop back after a sequence of calling & raking you will miss out on opportunities where elk come straight in to your last sounds or close to that spot. If they get to that point they will most likely smell where you were. Do you find that it does happen now & then?

Most hunters would advance from the spot last called from to catch elk on their approach, this generally works well & can catch unsuspecting elk at that point before the worried about a down wind approach. Too, they do not reach the spot you called from last catching your human scent. Your thoughts! Thanks!

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
Elknut

Instead of questioning Paul@thefort technique, maybe you should for once accept that other people have their own ways and tell them 'good job'!

Btw. All we ever read about is how you call in elk using the team approach, never solo.

As far as elk coming in down wind, I don't effing care where they come in and seldom does it matter. Just be ready in all calling setups.

I think I'm gonna try the Paul@thefort technique. Thanks for the tip.

29-Apr-16
cnelk, are you trying to be funny, because you're not. Paul is a friend & therefore I would not give him a bad time. He may shed some light on his approach & teach me something I hadn't thought of, simple as that.

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
This approach I use when I find good elk sign or have heard elk sounds before from this area, not knowing where the bull might be or what directions he may come from, but figure up ahead in a bed, etc,, but did not hear any elk sounds, then set up, call and rake, then drop back and wait.

If he approaches straight on or from the side, and then comes in slightly downwind from my first calling location I still may have a shot to 30-35 yards.

I hang two cow elk scent rags ten yards to both sides of my calling position and leave them there when I drop back. I place these rags in a zip lock bag for reuse after.

my best, Paul

29-Apr-16
Sometimes not.....

29-Apr-16
I've seen the same as Paul at the fort.

so for example; early morning calling at a bull uphill of you with strong thermals downward. The bull comes straight in for 2 reasons; he doesn't want to give up high ground advantage and he knows he won't be able to wind you.

Cross wind and topography comes into play too. I agree with elknut on calling from thicker cover as to not needing a decoy- its not necessary in those cases. So a guy without a decoy needs to consider that line of sight referencing.

I have been in calling situations in more open ponderosa pine or burns and put up my binos to slowly scan spotting elk 150, 200,300yds off picking off my shooter who was moving around. I've had elk pick off shooters fidgiting even with the decoys. Elk can really spot movement from a long ways out!

i think a guy that isn't having luck with calling he benefits by changing 2 setup problems; Set up in thicker areas when possible and not moving around when in a calling sequence.

30-Apr-16
Paul thanks! Interesting thoughts on it. I like the fact as you re-position that you still are within view & bowrange of your calling spot before you moved. Definitely a wise move! Thanks for the clarification sir!

ElkNut1

04-May-16
Elknut,

To add more to my usual situation. It is extremely rare for a person to find a "herd" bull where I archery hunt. A very low density OTC unit seldom has a herd elk that I can find. the majority of the time I have few cows her and there, but seldom do I see more than 10 elk at a time. This last season the most elk we saw in a single group was 6. As a result I feel like the bigger bulls range a lot more looking for more cows. Usually if you find a bull it is either completely alone, has another rag horn with it or has just a couple cows. This last year the largest bull we seen had 2 cows and a calf one weekend. Then the next weekend was totally solo in another part of the unit. We went back and found the 2 cows and a calf, they had a rag 4 hanging with them. I assume the bull bred the 2 cows and left to find more...

05-May-16
Coelker, thanks! Yes I can sure sympathize with you on elk hunting lesser bulls being the herd bulls these days. Much of the areas we hunt sound just like you describe. Between hunting pressure & wolves it can be quite challenging. Thanks for the additional feedback bud! Good luck this year!

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear