Mike_Parson 16-Jun-16
Elkaddict 16-Jun-16
BoggsBowhunts 16-Jun-16
oldgoat 16-Jun-16
midwest 16-Jun-16
Ben 16-Jun-16
Mike_Parson 20-Jun-16
28-Apr-16
I am looking to do an OTC hunt in CO this year i have a friend that thinks we should pick between 231 and 681 for this hunt I plan on doing a TON of research for this decision i was just wondering what you guys thought any information is greatly aprreciated

28-Apr-16
Both are decent unit options. I guess I'd lean towards 681 unless I got some good intel for 231. I don't know the numbers but I imagine 231 gets a bit more pressure.

28-Apr-16
681 is severly over hunted and crowded with hikers and ohv's. I used to guide there and since selling the permit several years ago, I haven't been back and hope to never see it again..

29-Apr-16

Tberg's embedded Photo
Tberg's embedded Photo

Tberg's Link
I bit the bullet and picked up a Game Planner premium membership. The stats on the Colorado map would have me hunting 681. Far less hunters/hunters per sq mile and the overall success rates are not that far apart. Its a pretty neat tool, the maps for your phone are real slick!

29-Apr-16

DIYHuntingMaps's embedded Photo

DIYHuntingMaps's Link
Tberg, that information/tools is free on my website!

29-Apr-16

DIYHuntingMaps's Link
Mike, the link I attached may help. I have a "Compare Units" feature on my website. The link will take you directly to the comparison of 231 and 681. I also added a picture for you!

29-Apr-16
I have hunted 231 and while it's a smaller unit it certainly has a lot of elk. Like most places, if you are willing to work hard you have a pretty good chance. I have never been in 681 so I can't offer any opinion. Good luck.

29-Apr-16
681 is a huge ohv area. Tons of trails and packed during sept.

29-Apr-16
Whipranger what was the name of your outfitting business ??

01-May-16
Rocky Mountain Outfitters

02-May-16
thanks guys.

02-May-16
Haven't hunted 231, but 681 was inundated with mule deer hunters. Every two track was heavily used by 4wd's & atv's

16-Jun-16
any fresh thoughts or input guys? still trying to make a decision on this hunt.

16-Jun-16
Just pick a unit and do it.

16-Jun-16
Hunt one this year and one the next year, see which one you like better and make it a yearly thing!

16-Jun-16
Don't know about 681, but have hunted 231, lots and lots of mountain maggots, hunt early early season and hunt where the Sheep haven't been yet!

16-Jun-16
Try one. If you don't like it, pull up camp and move to the other one.

16-Jun-16
I'm with oldgoat, there are a lot of sheep, but there are plenty of elk also.

20-Jun-16
thanks guys, due to some guys in another thread i posted i will no longer be asking for thoughts or opinions on anything in this Site ever again. i hate being treated like crap when im only asking for advice or general information. im a newbie and was just looking for general insight. its jerks like that that cause newbies to this sport to just quit and never enjoy it.

• Sitka Gear