Contributors to this thread:
Hunt98 01-May-16
Bou'bound 01-May-16
greg simon 01-May-16
greg simon 01-May-16
IdyllwildArcher 01-May-16
Inshart 01-May-16
01-May-16
Spot/stalk and signaling each other for a couple of rookies.

Is them some common hand signals between the spotter and the stacker?

01-May-16
yes, point to right means go right

point to left means go left

both hands over head means keep walking straight

head resting on hands means he is bedded and sleeping

on knees in prayer position means you are screwed and your only hope if divine intervention as this point

01-May-16
Just work out your signals before the stalk. Try to keep them simple. We use signals to where the animal is. Left arm out animal is to the left (of the spotter and the hunter as he faces the same direction as the spotter). Right, uphill, downhill, don't move(arms crossed), jig is up (wave arms).

01-May-16
Bou, I need to add the divine intervention signal! Good one!

01-May-16
I've always like waving hands for "the gig is up." You don't want to move a lot otherwise. Idea from Dwight Schuh's book.

I also use right arm raised from waist to overhead like you're telling a plane to turn to the right or left hand for left, or both hands for straight ahead. Each arm raise is 10 yards, so 6 raises of the right arm is to right 60 yards or 8 raises of both arms is 80 yards ahead. All this arm waving is assuming the signaler is far enough away that you're looking at each other through glass so it doesn't spook the animal.

Be on the same page what "ahead" and "backwards" are to the signaler/shooter as they can mean different things if you're not on the same page.

01-May-16
Like Greg said - work out signals prior to leaving camp.

3 of us hunting.

I returned to camp about noon ... they are both already at camp. The first hunter turns to me and says "Bob, if I make a motion with my hand like this ... (puts his hand out in front of his face and spins it as if stirring something in a bowl) ... what does that mean for you to do.

I said, I would turn around.

He turns and looks at the ... laughs and says "it was that easy".

I ask what happened.

Turns out they are side hilling about 60 yards apart and the upper hunter looks down just as the lower one comes into view and looks up at him. Right at that same time an elk steps out about 25 yards below the lower hunter.

The upper hunter makes the signal (as mentioned) and the lower hunter just shrugs his shoulder and lifts his arms up, as if saying "whaaat".

The elk is looking the other way, 25 yards for about 2 full minutes and has no clue about any danger at all.

He keeps spinning his hand, first one way then the other, several times until finally the elk just walks off.

So yeah, get your signals down first ...

• Sitka Gear