Unit 9er 09-May-16
Mad Trapper 10-May-16
Butternut40 10-May-16
AZBUGLER 10-May-16
Rut Nut 10-May-16
elkstabber 11-May-16
ELKMAN 11-May-16
04-May-16
It seems at one time or another we've all had to shake a few fears when it came to elk hunting out west! Many still have them & deal with it others are seeing what they can do to soften them or shake them all together!

Some fear getting lost, wounding an elk, being in the woods after dark, bears, mountain lions, worry about families at home with little contact, etc. I'm sure there are many others. We've all had them, what are or were some of yours & how do you deal with them?

Maybe some can shed some light on how & what works for them! This could help out others in dealing with theirs!

ElkNut1

04-May-16
Going home to my wife without elk meat. ;)

04-May-16
Driving 2,000 miles and not seeing any elk. Not really a fear. Just a realization that I cant pack an elk out of "there" by myself. That has held me back on the last 2 hunts. Im trying to remedy that this time.

Now if I can just figure out how to actually kill one!

04-May-16
The draw results! Not sure how many more "Unsuccessful Applicant" results I can bear!

04-May-16
Something going wrong at home that shortens or cancels my hunt. So far my wife has had problems but has managed. I think she is getting better at it each year.

04-May-16
Snakes. Silly fear. But I dread even the thought of rattlesnakes, and I've never even seen one on my trips out west. The fear has never affected me on a hunt, as far as keeping me from doing anything, but it's always there in the back of my mind

04-May-16
Hurting myself physically just as a long awaited, out of state hunt is approaching or a family member passing.

04-May-16
Good one Embry that is right up their at the top. I don't like to play basketball or anything of that nature a few weeks before a hunt.

04-May-16
Kidney stones. Hard to imagine walking out if an attack happened midday. Usually mine have started first thing in the morning so getting out might be pretty quick.

04-May-16
Link, LOL!! That's not an option! (grin)

Like Bake, I'm no snake lover either, can't stand them!

ElkNut1

04-May-16
September 11th, 2011 at about noon I was sitting next to Grace Lake in Montana's Big Belt mountains. I was in for five or six days at that point and still had four more days in. No cell service, no sat phones. Two fighter jets flew low over the mountains and I realized what date it was. Not knowing what was going on "outside" was tough.

04-May-16
Not getting approved for a solid two weeks vacation :)

04-May-16
Grizzlies. Especially after a kill. But also just surprising one while in the woods.

I carry bear spray to combat those fears. Practice using it, and keep it ever ready.

Also have a recurring nightmare about not being able to find my release. So I carry an extra one in my fanny pack.

04-May-16
"Hurting myself physically just as a long awaited, out of state hunt is approaching"

+1 Broke 3 toes last year and missed September elk hunting. Also had to turn in a Utah Limited Entry archery deer tag. It sucked. Stupid dirt bikes.

I used to fear getting the meat out fast enough without spoiling (especially hunting solo). I always have back-up plans now including a buddy with horses in an emergency, or bagging it and submerging in a cold creek if needed.

Having a DeLorme Inreach has helped with staying in contact with the fam. That's been nice.

04-May-16
"Also had to turn in a Utah Limited Entry archery deer tag."

Ouch.

04-May-16
Fear, guilt, and shame are things that I try to live without.

The only thing I'm fearful for in life is the well-being of my children. There's nothing else worth being afraid of or fearing for.

If I die elk hunting, then I died on my terms doing what I love.

04-May-16
+2 I get paranoid about injury leading up to the hunt. And my mind races a bit after dark especially if I saw a lion or bear in the area. More fear of the unknown than anything.

Haha I agree with smokedtrout as well. Except I always have dreams about my string derailing or cutting it with a broad head as I'm stalking something.

04-May-16
My kuiu order still being on backorder when I leave in September

04-May-16
first off I've never been on an elk hunt but have wanted to. when thinking about it, a lot of my fears, or concerns, have been stated in the about comments. one of my 'concerns' is not having enough money to do a guided hunt and trying to do a DIY hunts while I don't have enough know-how and just end up on a long camping trip with a bunch of wandering around aimlessly.

04-May-16
I hunt solo a lot and I have never been scared of Bears or Mountain Lions but I do have a fear of breaking a leg, twisting a knee or ankle. Another one that I have a fear of is getting hypothermia.

04-May-16
No "fears" really. Concerns? yes. Family when I am not home, but InReach helps that.

There are "risks" that I identify and do my best to address/mitigate. I don't dwell on things that are out of my control. (EX Lightning)

Closest thing to a "fear" is screwing something up on the hunt and having to losing out on hunting time. (EX Cutting a string, breaking a leg) Can't kill anything in the hospital!

04-May-16
Running into more hunters than elk or finding other hunters in your "honey hole."

04-May-16
"Kidney stones. Hard to imagine walking out if an attack happened midday. Usually mine have started first thing in the morning so getting out might be pretty quick."

This! Had one last year and the pain was unreal. I literally collapsed on my floor, I cant imagine this happening in the back country. I carry some fairly strong painkillers as a result.

04-May-16
Painkillers: I try to always carry strong pain killers when traveling. They might be needed to get off the mountain with a strained back, twisted ankle or kidney stones...

04-May-16
I always carry some pain killers too. Essential part of the 1st aid kit. And a surgical stapler. Those two things will get you out of any mountain range in the lower 48 and go a long ways towards peace of mind.

04-May-16
Hillary Clinton becoming President.Letting a BIG buck lay after shooting him just before dark only to find out the next day he got eaten over night

04-May-16
My thoughts echo Idyllwild.

04-May-16
"BIG buck lay after shooting him just before dark only to find out the next day he got eaten over night"

Did this once, buck took 1/4 step and I caught him a little back, 1 lung + liver most likely. Backed out to find him next morning only 40yds away chewed on already, he grossed 176 w/ only a 14.5" inside spread.

04-May-16
I've never actually seen a mountain lion but when I've come across some fresh tracks it puts me on edge. Especially since I'm usually alone. Has anyone else ever run into an actual lion? I'm just curious if the appear bigger than you are and back out thing really works. I can't imagine being able to relax after that happening.

04-May-16
Idy,

help this "non medical archer"...what is a surgical stapler?:) I mean I get what I perceive it to be used for, but haven't seen one so don't know for sure?

Mark

04-May-16
I fear explaining the credit card bill to my wife during the months leading up to hunting season...I deal with it by telling her to buy all the shoes she wants.

04-May-16
Kitty2 photo kitty3_zpsbinougxu.jpg

ColoBob,

This was my second close encounter, and I took this pic from 8 feet about a month ago. To answer your question, when you are sitting on the ground, and they come in at eye level, yes, they look very big.

My first encounter was in Colorado while elk calling, and that cat came inside 15 feet. Both of them walked away when they realized they weren't looking at an elk or a turkey.

In 99 percent of cases, I believe a cat will bug out if you confront them.

All that being said, does your heart hammer and your eyes bug out a little, in my case, that is a big 10/4 !

Best of Luck, Jeff

04-May-16
My biggest fear has always been an illness in the family. Unfortunately, that fear was realized a few years ago. It's amazing when you go through something like that how your perspective changes. I used to take things for granted, including my days in the elk woods. I no longer do so...I am thankful for every second!

04-May-16
Critters, the dark, and people don't worry me so much as myself. Gotta be careful and make good decisions. Accidents happen though I always hate to think about about taking a bad spill or cutting myself on a broadhead. I like IdyllwildArcher's idea of carrying a surgical stapler.

04-May-16
Jeff - That is one cool picture. Luckily I have only seen them running away from me!

04-May-16
Mark, a surgical stapler is a disposable plastic stapler that's sterile in a plastic pouch. The staples clamp to form a closed circle and are used to quickly close skin wounds. They can also be used in a pinch to clamp off bleeding blood vessels. The one I carry weighs about 3 oz and has 35 staples in it. I could close a wound in excess of a foot long with it.

Doubles as a fix-it-all. I once stapled my tent back together after high winds tore the zipper to the door off of the tent.

04-May-16
hypothermia! and Im scared of flying other then that nothing scares me..Oh wait I also fear the government! MikeC

04-May-16

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

04-May-16

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
The fact that I my age, I have many more hunts behind me than ahead of me.

Here's a photo for a few of you. One of the coolest critters on the planet.

04-May-16
Bunch o scaredy cats on here

04-May-16
Bwahaa, sitO...

04-May-16
Old tire tracks, new tire tracks, or tires of any sort at the trail head.

04-May-16
Ziek, I hear ya bud, I hate to even think how many Sept I have left, now that's true fear! Cool photo too!

ElkNut1

04-May-16
When I worked for the Forest Service, we were reminded that a large percent of the people out in the forest are convicted felons. I don't remember the exact number we were given, but it was significant. I can't say it scares me, but it is something to be mindful of. I hunt alone a lot of the time, so broken bones or falling from my tree stand make me cautious. Probably the biggest scares I have had were from Black Bears. One jumped up and ran through the dark in front of me one early morning before first light. That got my heart pounding pretty good. Another time I had a large male come around a corner on a narrow trail. I instantly yelled and threw up my arms to look bigger than I am. I was close enough when he turned that I could have touched him. The funny thing was my hunting friend was about 15-20 yards behind and didn't see the bear until we backed up to a place where we could see out. He said, "you don't need to worry. I have my knife with me." I replied, if that bear had not turned instantly, I was running back and it would have been you, and your knife alone with that bear." It was intended to be funny, but I don't think he got it.

04-May-16
Honestly no fears whatsoever about elk but southern Turkey absolutely scare the heck out of me

04-May-16
Link that's funny dude. My wife will probably let me in the house if I don't have elk meat but she wouldn't be a happy camper that's for sure.

I am always really careful during the summer months not to hurt a knee or ankle among other things.

My only fear if you want to call it that is hypothermia. But I'm prepared so it's not much of a concern. They don't call it the silent killer for nothing though and we can get pretty sweaty on some chilly mountains chasing bulls.

Other than that I'm right at home in elk country and don't have a worry in the world!

04-May-16
Fears? Not really. But I do certainly worry about all kinds of things. I worry about everything imaginable before and during a trip. Getting hurt, weather, family problems, other hunters, wounded animals, getting meat out, - the list goes on.

A few years ago one of my big worries actually came true. I had drawn a LE Utah elk tag and had big plans for it. Then, a month before the opener, my father became very sick and I was very close to cancelling the whole thing.

He ended up passing away a week before the season opened, and although I didn't make opening day I did still make the trip. It really brought things into perspective and made me realize what my priorities were. I would have gladly missed the hunt if he could have lived, and no way was I going anywhere with him laying on his deathbed.

As it turned out, I took a small satchel of his ashes with me. One evening at the top of a beautiful overlook I scattered them to the wind. The next morning I ended up killing a great bull, and could not shake the feeling that he was up there with me.

No, I don't really fear anything. But as some others have mentioned, I am very aware of the limited number of seasons that remain and only hope that I can continue to enjoy the mountains as long as I possibly can.

04-May-16
Lightning:

One year on San Juan in Utah our hunting party got stuck in a severe hail and lightning storm. Long story short...we were lucky to live through the ordeal.

Accidents:

I also had a fall many years ago where I almost had a bad accident with an arrow that fell out of my quiver. Again, long story short, almost fell onto broad head. Cut through my clothes down pretty deep. Two to three inches more to my left or right and it would have penetrated my chest. Freak accident that would have been fatal. I went to EMT training before the next season.

Also had my fair share of lion and bear encounters. They don't bug me nearly as much as the Lightning and accidental falls.

I also fear not getting a tag!

Stay safe out there.

04-May-16
My biggest fear is packing in miles on horses and getting to camp only to find someone else already there. Plan B is in place but it would be horrible not to hunt the spot we've been going to for years.

04-May-16
Whip, best story for sure, sorry for your loss sir! Awesome how you took a nice bull & feel your dad was nearby, it doesn't get better than that. Congrats!

ElkNut1

04-May-16
Me and the wife killing two elk at the same time, other than that, not much!

04-May-16
Shooting a elk to far back and unable to get it out before it spoils!

04-May-16
Of course my other fear is not drawing a tag...

04-May-16
Fears, concerns, worries, whatever you want to call it. No matter how studly you say or think you are beyond the keyboard, they are there.

I fear, worry and concern myself with running into TBM on the mountain and having to hear Alabama war stories.

04-May-16
"Fears, concerns, worries, whatever you want to call it. No matter how studly you say or think you are beyond the keyboard, they are there. I fear, worry and concern myself with running into TBM on the mountain and having to hear Alabama war stories."

If you hear banjo music in the woods, turn around and go back the other way before he sees you!

05-May-16
Truck failure/delays on the way to elk camp. I'm OCD when it comes to schedules.

05-May-16

GotBowAz's embedded Photo
Im with 400 elk about the lighting. being less than 20 yards from my treestand after just getting down and having lighting hit it has to rank right up there as my biggest fear now. No NA animal or snake can stand the hair up on my neck like lighting does.

05-May-16
GotBow, that's some serious chit right there ! I can't decide if you are smart or just lucky, but the Lord did not want you on that particular day !

05-May-16
Hmmm....All these fears, must be why people shake there heads when they find out I go hunting out west alone.

05-May-16
Thats unreal! What was it like when the lightening hit??

I've heard stories of St. Elmos fire. Guys fishing cast their lines and the lines hang in the air from all the static. I'd say thats time to get off the water boys!

05-May-16

I just finished putting on the seat and wrap around the bar as the storm was coming in. I got down and initially sat under a tree five yards away while it hailed on me. for some reason I felt way to close to the metal stand with the lightning cracking so close so I moved.

I looked up just as the lighting struck. The lightning bolt split in two and hit 2 trees at the same time not 10 yards apart. my treestand and a big dead pine.It was by far the loudest crack I have ever heard. Now comes the weird part, after the crack everything went it slow motion as debree from both trees came flying right at me. I ducked behind a tree about 6 inches in diameter and had pieces of tree fly right by me.

drycreek, a little bit of both lucky and not my time.Not something I ever want to relive. now every time a lightning bolt cracks I involuntarily flinch pretty bad. Get mad at myself because of lack of control.

05-May-16
GotBowAz...

Wow!!!

05-May-16
I fear lightning too. Wow!

05-May-16
Lightning is right up there, been knocked to the ground twice in my life. Lucky those didn't have my name on em.

Mainly my biggest fear right now is rip offs. Somebody stealing camp or stealing/vandalizing the vehicle. We fly in with camp and rent vehicles. Hate road camping for that reason, like to get at minimum a little ways in, at least make it harder on the crack head ripoffs. You can load up our whole camp in the back seat/trunk of a decent size car....

I have no worries of man nor beast in the field, that I can prepare for. It's stuff that happens when I'm not there that has always burned me.

06-May-16
Getting too old [I'm 45] to get across the Atlantic and set my boots down in elk country...

06-May-16

If you look close at the base of the stand the lighting traveled through the metal to the ground and blew two 6 inch deep holes in the soil.

06-May-16

Last one, the lightning hit the rail as it was leaned up against the tree. Tore up my new bar pad I just put on and burned a hole threw the bar. All these pictures were taken the next day. I was too busy running the half mile back to camp to clean out my shorts!

06-May-16
Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for the photos!

ElkNut1

06-May-16
My biggest fear is when I have to go back to work. Or maybe 6 trucks parked at the trail head opening morning.. Also lightning very much lightning.

06-May-16
I was at a lake a few years ago when this bad storm was just rolling in. I had been swimming, and when the hail started I knew it was time to get out.

So as I was getting out and in about knee deep water I saw the flash as the lightning hit the water or something. I immediately jumped straight up in the air and felt that electricity jump through my whole body. My heart was racing uncontrollably, and I was paste white. Drove myself frantically to the hospital but thankfully everything was ok and they put me on some relaxer pills. Never again will I be in water with storms!!

06-May-16
One time I thought we were out of beer at base camp......man was that scary!

06-May-16
In the past I really didn't have much in the way of fear when I was out hunting but lately there are 2 things that scare me...

A few years back, I was charged by a mama bear in the spring. Long story short I ended up having to shoot her with my 380 pocket pistol that I fortunately had with me that spring day. These days I am touchy if I see fresh bear tracks in the area Im hiking in. Now, I always have my pistol with me (albeit a higher capacity, bigger caliber than the 5 shot, 380 I had that day). The fear is probably unfounded, but its hard to forget that experience. Funny thing is, prior to that I had been around quite a few bears including a couple that mock charged. That time was different and Im sure it would have been bad for me if I didn't have the pistol.

My other fear is also recent and came about in an odd way. My 1st son was born a couple years ago and it really changed my perspective on life. One night I had a dream that I was standing on a rocky outcrop as I frequently do while hunting. All of the sudden the rocks gave way and I started to fall. In the dream while falling, I knew I was going to die and I asked God to please take care of my son and let him know that I loved him dearly. That dream sticks with me and I am really careful around outcroppings and wont step on anything that looks remotely like it could move.

06-May-16
Running out of TP in a pine forest.

07-May-16
I don't fear dying when I'm out hunting much, I fear dying in a nursing home or hospital.

07-May-16
Having anyone I am in a camp with have an accident that we can't get him/her out of the woods. Long, traumatic, stressful bad ending. On that positive note, I think I'll go get my CPR training up to date!

07-May-16
Spiders

08-May-16
Wasn't always a fear but once while hunting blacktails & bear in NorCal, heavy smoke rolled into the wilderness area. I thought for sure flames would be roaring over the mountains at any time. We packed up and made fast tracks back to the trailhead. Turns out that the fire was in southern Oregon. Being in the back country on foot and surrounded by a wildfire would be a fear.

08-May-16
Being deep in the mountains in the dark and not knowing what made the very loud deep mournful scream.

08-May-16
Marsupials.....cuz they're fast!

09-May-16

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
Bake....no need to be afraid of snakes...they die if you wack em right. I was hunting antelope solo in Wyoming and was going to be using a 4 to 6 foot deep ditch that ran through the flats for the hunt a lot. First trip through ran into this rattler and knew I had to get him while I saw him there was a lot of striking and jumping around in the ditch and deep grass before I was able to spear him with this rock. I have killed lots of rattlers and they are nice enough to give you a warning buzz. But the wind can blow in Wyoming and a fella might not hear it...getting bit in the face would be a bad thing walking through a ditch alone...;)

09-May-16
"Running out of TP in a pine forest." LOL I'm still suffering the 'roids from that pine cone a few years back...

For me it's the lightning. My buddies will be under the metal poled tarps in camp, I'm in the truck. I hate being stuck in the woods through an electrical storm.

And for some reason, we're seeing rattlers nearly every year now in Northern NM. I am NOT thinking about snakes during an elk hunt!

10-May-16
Not living long enough to draw a primo tag in Arizona.

10-May-16
Lightning for me.

Fence behind me starting crackling and I threw the bow and hit the ground. Lightning struck tree 50 yards away.

Another time I got caught out fishing in middle of the lake when a fast moving lightning storm came in. For some reason the 9.9 would only go trolling speed. I never had so many strikes happen around me while I was putting my way back to the cabin. Scary.

10-May-16
Lightning and rattlers both. I haven't had a super close call with lightning and I'd like to keep it that way! The little black rattlers we have though, have a bad habit of not rattling until you almost step on them. This has happened to me three times and scares the crap out of me!

10-May-16
My biggest fear? That by the time I can afford to go back out west to Elk Hunt, I will be physically unable to do it! :(

11-May-16
Lightning is a real hazard at high elevation. Just look around and you'll see where it's hit the isolated trees. Set up your camp where you see healthy trees.

Some places are more prone to lightening strikes than others. I've been bass fishing several times when a storm was approaching and my fishing line would levitate above the water after a cast. The worst place was around Brown's Ferry on Wheeler Lake in north Alabama. I knew a guy that had been struck three times.

Be aware of your surroundings and don't spend much time where lightening has struck in the past.

My other fear is packing meat in the dark and being attacked by a mountain lion. Why is this a concern? Because I was covered in bull scent/blood and it damn near happened... I'm still not comfortable talking about that experience.

11-May-16
That if people don't learn how to kill Elk with methods other than calling, they will quit Bugling all together...

• Sitka Gear