IdyllwildArcher 04-May-16
ElkNut1 04-May-16
HDE 04-May-16
ohiohunter 04-May-16
TD 05-May-16
Tracker12 05-May-16
JLeMieux 05-May-16
04-May-16
I am shooting Easton axis 340 arrows, 396 grains right now with 100 grain tip. A friend thinks I should switch to a 125 grain head to get more weight forward. Would it help accuracy or is it just preference.

04-May-16
Yes, It would improve FOC, there are tons of threads on that, and also bring the weight of your arrow up a bit. Just my opinion

04-May-16
I think you'd be in good shape switching to 125 heads. You'd be right in the wheel house at 420 grains.

04-May-16
If it will help me shoot tighter groups, I'm game to do it.

04-May-16
Personally, I prefer at least 12% FOC, but that's just me. As far as improving accuracy, if someone gets great arrow flight, and BH's fly true, hard to argue their accuracy could be improved simply by changing their FOC. I would most definitely agree you would benefit from a heavier arrow for elk. An added bonus of using a heavier BH is that extra 25gr makes for a stronger BH. It's not just added weight simply for the sake of added weight.

04-May-16
soloman, just to add to my previous post, based on your last post.

If you're not grouping well now, it's most likely caused by one of two things. If your bow isn't tuned, changing to 125gr tip may help. However, if it's caused by poor form, that's a different story altogether.

04-May-16
I would, I've hunted with your exact set up and have since switched to what you are contemplating and I feel I have made serious penetration gains based on my targets. BUT when I increased my tip weight I had to increase spine, though I think you are already over spined [with 100's] the 125 will sit perfect on your arrows. If I recall correctly I was shooting 400's and had to step up to the 340's.

This change undoubtedly increased my 60yd consistency which tells me I probably improved at shorter distances as well but just not as noticeable. Higher FOC does make a difference, see for yourself. You're entitled to your opinion, but physics doesn't care what you think you know.

Some 125gr's are just added weight, not all are built more robust.

04-May-16
The only way you'll know what's going to happen to your accuracy is to try it.

It will increase your penetration though. Your arrow is on the lighter side IMO.

04-May-16
The 125 can offer a bit more penetration but nearly unnoticeable with only a 25 grain difference. If you want the 125 to be more accurate in your mind then it probably will, other than that I doubt you see any real world difference between the two at normal elk killing distances.

ElkNut1

04-May-16
^^^yep

04-May-16
Maybe I should say consistency. My groups shrank considerably from 40-60yds. Basketball to softball is a big difference. Yes from 10-25yds less notable, but the increased weight definitely decreased the wind's effects on my arrow. I can't attribute it to FOC as I have not measured it.

05-May-16
Honestly... would have to know what you are shooting them out of first.

A high performance 70 lb bow with anything but a shorter shaft 340 could likely start getting on the edge of spine with a 125 head. Yes, it's only 25 grains, but it's on the most sensitive end of the arrow WRT spine.

I shoot 125s for many of the reasons given above... out of 70lbs and a 28-28.5" shaft and it likes 300s a good deal better than 340s. The 300s will get you a bit more overall weight too.

What are you shooting them out of?

05-May-16
For the price of a few 125 field points you can give it a try and then decide what works better for you. But to arbitrarily say adding 20 grains will make it perform better is advice I would take with a grain of salt and add a little tequila.

05-May-16
I have to agree with TD. It's hard to say you are over spined without knowing the rest of your setup. Draw weight, draw length, bow specs, and arrow length all come into play as well.

• Sitka Gear