tradmt 08-May-16
HUNT MAN 09-May-16
JLS 09-May-16
HUNT MAN 09-May-16
glacier 09-May-16
glacier 09-May-16
04-May-16

glacier's Link
For those who are looking to hunt in MT this fall: The Surplus NR Combo licenses will go on sale May 9. These are first come first served. All the NR combos include fishing and upland game birds...

This year there are (as of 11:00 today):

1308 Big Game Combos (includes elk and deer)

2160 Elk Combos

483 Deer Combos

For reference, on May 1st last year, there were 1696 big game, 2086 elk and 1635 deer combos listed as surplus. Last year, the big game and deer combos were sold out sometime in July, and there were a couple hundred elk combos left at the end of the season. If you want to hunt deer in MT this year, you might not want to wait too long. The elk combos might last a little longer, but keep track of how they are selling at the link...

05-May-16
Thanks for the heads-up!

Good luck, Robb

05-May-16
Looks like the deer price is starting to catch up with demand.

As a selfish hunter, that is bad news for my 80 year old pop. We have enjoyed 100% success for deer draw the last 5+ years. Maybe not next year.

05-May-16
I got mine.

Cant wait for September

05-May-16
What did the NR deer tag cost last year? Seems like I paid around $180. Almost $600 is getting extreme for what, for me, is a secondary tag on an elk-focused archery hunt.

05-May-16
Here are the costs:

Big Game Combo (Elk, Deer, Fishing and upland birds) - $995

Elk Combo (Elk, fishing and upland birds) - $846

Deer Combo (Deer fishing and upland birds) - $592

If you want to hunt elk and have a deer tag in your pocket just in case, you would want to buy the Big Game Combo. It will cost you an extra $149 over the Elk combo to have the option of hunting deer if you get your elk early or if that monster Mulie happens to be standing broadside at 20 yards...

05-May-16
glacier, thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

08-May-16
I did not put in this year and looked at website but could not find an answer to my question. Where can I see what tags are available or are they all general.

08-May-16
until the control the wolves they will have surplus license!

08-May-16
Flyingbrass,

Sorry bud, but that has to be one of the most uninformed statements I've read. Ever.

If you can't find good quality archery elk hunting in MT, you aren't looking very hard.

08-May-16
Matte,

I believe they are all general tags.

08-May-16
Yes, all general.

09-May-16
I wish they would sell the leftovers to residents as a second to. Idaho seems to have good luck with that policy . I would pay 995 for a second tag any time. That way they would at least sell them all Every year. JMO. Hunt

09-May-16
HUNT,

I agree, at that point I don't know why they wouldn't just sell them to anyone at the NR price point.

I believe they have sold all the surplus the last two years, right?

09-May-16
They sold all the elk/ deer combos and deer tag . But I don't think they sold out of the elk only license . If they gave residents a chance they would sell them all for sure. Hunt

09-May-16
They are all general tags. These are just the NR Combo licenses, which include a General elk license and/or a General Deer license, depending on which combo you purchase. If there are any leftover b tags or special permits, I think they tend to go on sale in August. Remember, there are LOTS of places that you can find great elk hunting with just a general tag in your pocket.

Last year, they did sell out all of the Big Game Combos (includes both elk and deer) and all of the Deer Combo licenses, but their website showed 244 Elk Combos left when I looked at it on Thanksgiving weekend...

09-May-16
Another update: I just looked at their website (11:00 mountain time) and the Deer Combos are shown as being sold out. They showed 1110 big game combos and 2105 elk combos. They just went on sale this morning, so the deer combos went FAST...

• Sitka Gear