HDE 08-May-16
4blade 09-May-16
Michael Schwister 09-May-16
GhostBird 09-May-16
TNRAMBLINGMAN 09-May-16
Brun 09-May-16
loopmtz 09-May-16
07-May-16
Was planning to shoot Gold Tips with 50 grain weight insert+125 broadhead, total weight 470 grains. Turns out the new Gold Tip brass nock collars are so hard to get out of the shaft I have about given up on this.

So I ordered 150 grain Slick Tricks (Crossbow model), but I am not sure I like the way these broadheads are made out by the tip (longer/shaped different than standard ST). Any ideas on other 150 grain broadheads? FOC with this setup was 12%.

If I drop back to 125 grain heads, my arrow weight will be just over 415 grains. I could go with QAD exodus to get cut on contact. Open to all thoughts. Thanks for feedback.

Bow is 61 lb Halon 6

07-May-16
its personal preference. I put a 380gr maxima red through my bull last year. 100gr standard slick trick. I switched to heavier arrows to test out and it just feels like trying to fix something that isn't broken.

07-May-16
I would recommend you go with what you have confidence in/ lots of kills with. It is far more important to put a sharp broadhead where it needs to be than having a heavy setup. Elk are just not that tough if you get BOTH lungs or a major artery. I use 650 grain plus arrows off a 60 #ish longbow or selfbow. Last fall I took an adult cow at 35 yards with a 60# osage selfbow and 675 grain doug fir arrow tipped with a 225 toughhead. Less than 100 yard recovery. I would stick to cut on contact one piece heads that pop hair off your arm. Members of our party with setups like yours have had recovery problems with modular and expandable heads. I would recommend a snuffer SS or something similar with your current setup.

07-May-16
VPA makes a wonderful 150 gr head that would be deadly elk medicine. I like the sound of a 470 gr total arrow over something much lighter.

07-May-16
I agree with SDhunter if you want to go that route.

I weight my Gold Tips with weedeater string and shoot 125 Muzzys up front. Total weight is 450 Gr. Seems to kill a lot of elk whether with longbow, recurve, or compound.

No need to overthink it.

07-May-16
The more weight and FOC, the better, up to anything your likely to put together. VPA 150 unvented is a great BH.

"Elk are just not that tough if you get BOTH lungs or a major artery."

That "if" should be highlight and capitalized. ANYTHING will work IF the shot goes perfectly. Even a Rage. ;-) Bowhunters that rely on a perfect scenario shot haven't shot that many critters. It's the results when things don't go as planned that you can actually influence with your planning and equipment choices. Where the arrow actually goes after you release it - much less predictable.

07-May-16
I have come to really like a big strong BH for elk. Hard to get enough steel in the lighter ones.

Those VPA 150 in either 2 blade or 3 will be on my arrows this year

07-May-16
Weight is important, but accuracy is more important in my book. Shoot something you are comfortable with. If you want a little more total weight with your set up you could go to a lighted nock. But this will lower your FOC. Don't overthink it, but be aware that elk are very tough animals. To say they're not tough if they have a hole in both lungs is kind of funny, just what animal is tough with no air in it?

07-May-16
Here's the deal. Most any animal is easy to penetrate and kill with most any arrow and broadhead...as long as you hit soft tissue lungs and no bone. That is a given and never in question.

So....the question you guys should figure out is your objective. Do you want an arrow that will penetrate bone SHOULD you happen to hit bone. Or do you even care? If not, then shoot any setup you just like shooting.

If you do care and want to maximize your chances of killing the animal with notsogood shot placement....then ask questions, research and build an arrow accordingly.

BTW, accuracy is not an issue here because both setup can be shot accurately...and both setups can be shot inaccurately.

07-May-16
Annnnd.... Here we go!!!!

Bet this thread hits 100 posts by about Tuesday.

Come on Purdue!

07-May-16
You could also go the VPA 175 grain 3 blade route and have an increased cutting diameter over the 150.

07-May-16

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
Here are a couple of good fixed blade broad heads. Haven't weighed them yet, but these models have been around awhile.

07-May-16

Brun's embedded Photo
Brun's embedded Photo
And a good sharp knife to field dress and butcher with.

07-May-16
Hit the front leg or scapula, chances are slim you'll be eating that Elk regardless of what you shoot.

07-May-16
"Bet this thread hits 100 posts by about Tuesday." ]

I don't think it will, for two reasons:

1) It has already been determined that you can't lead anyone down the right path of projectile physics and simple Newtonian Mechanics (as in leading a horse to water...)

2) See #1.

07-May-16
"No need to overthink it."

Overthinking is what keeps this site in business.

07-May-16
I thought people making fun of other people overthinking it is what keeps this site in business.

07-May-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
Do you want a real BH....

.....or one of those wimpy replaceable blade heads?

VPA 150 on the left

[That should get this over 100 posts- grin]

07-May-16
JaQ is always correct on his guess. Wish he would have purchased my Powerball ticket for me tonight. Got to the 125g slick trick Viper Trick. Post #19 on the books

07-May-16
Punto post some pics of yourSolid broadheads. ! Do it!!!!

07-May-16
Both of his choices at 417 grains or 470 grains will kill elk. The 417 grain total weight arrow will be the flattest shooting & best penetrator at 61#! Use razor sharp heads & you are good to go bud no matter your choice! # 21

ElkNut1

07-May-16
I have a feeling the LW is going to light-up when my upcoming feature on trad elk tactics in Traditional Bowhunter is published. Blowback from that article might break the Bowsite. Get your popcorn ready.

;-)

07-May-16

COHOYTHUNTER's embedded Photo
COHOYTHUNTER's embedded Photo
Here's a set up for ya. Hoyt Carbon spyder turbo ZT - 71lb draw. Easton ACC Pro Hunter -480 grains finshed weight.12.5% FOC. 125 grain SOLID broad heads. 86 KE .605 momentum.

08-May-16
I'm right around 480 grains with my 340 fmj and a 100 gr exodus, killed 4 elk and 3 moose, they've worked flawlessly for me. Arrow speed around 280fps

08-May-16
I'm glad I don't gamble for a living, I would probably starve...

09-May-16
Vpa, Magnus Stinger, Cutthroats are all good options in 150grs but I would shoot what works the best from your bow. I have one bow that likes a 150gr head on a 29" 340 Axis or fmj. The other likes that same arrow but is more accurate with 125gr heads. Proper spine and arrow flight is the name of the game.

09-May-16
I butchered an elk with a Fort Hood Flint knife in 96....worked well.

09-May-16
Another vote for VPA 150 grain three blade.

09-May-16
I ordered 3 different VPAs to try. All replies much appreciated.

09-May-16
Michael, I have butchered several elk hind quarters with the knife in the picture. It worked remarkably well.

09-May-16
COHOYTHUNTER- that is one wicked set up son, I bet you can take down a tyrannosaurus-rex with that, if there were some still around!

• Sitka Gear