ElkNut1 09-May-16
Bigdan 09-May-16
swede 09-May-16
12yards 10-May-16
WV Mountaineer 11-May-16
David A. 11-May-16
Dutchd 11-May-16
09-May-16
Are there some calls that are easier for a beginner to learn with than others? I would like to get started learning and would rather not buy every call to figure this out. Thanks, Dutch

09-May-16
Are you looking for mouth reed use? If so the single reed Mellow Yellow is a pretty sweet sounding reed & very user friendly. Travis at Wapiti Outdoors also has some nice single reeds, he has one called the Black Widow that is a very nice & easy to use one. Either will do the job for you!

If looking for a Bugle with a built on Mouthpiece the Chuckler XTR is a nice choice, it's removable mouthpiece also allows you the option of using a mouth reed if you so choose. It's the best of both worlds!

If not familiar with mouth reed use I'd suggest starting with cow sounds to get the idea of how they work, cow sounds are a great stepping stone that will help you to graduate into bugling. The same reed will work for both cow & bull sounds.

ElkNut1

09-May-16
I had trouble using a mouth reed, so I bought an E.L.K. Inc Power Bugle. I went on line and found some tips and within a day was sounding awfully good. I actually bungled in 2 bulls and a hunter my first day in Colorado. I must have sounded pretty good because when the hunter found out I was from Minnesota he told me there was no way that was me and there must be a bull near by.

09-May-16
Yep.

The E.L.K Power Bugle bugle is prob one of the best external reed bugles available.

I bought the Chuckler XTR and ended up throwing the mouthpiece away. Kept the tube

09-May-16
If you do choose an external reed bugle like the E.L.K., I would still buy some diaphragms to play with. They are cheap and you can make all sorts of sounds with them once you get the hang of it. I have used dozens of different brands and everyone has their favorites but a small local company Mile High Note Game Calls is my current go to.

09-May-16
Thank you all. I appreciate the advice.

09-May-16
Get the ELk power bugle with the protective cap and extra bands. Been using this bugle for 10+ years, Taught my wife to use it in a 1/2 hour... Now my daughter 9 years old is pretty good and my 6 year old son is killer with it.

The only down fall are the bands are easy to mess up and you have to have the cap to protect.

I still use a diaphragm at times, but rely more on my Power Bugle...

09-May-16
Berry Thunder Bugle. Very easy and good sound.

09-May-16
Whatever call you get, put it in your vehicle. And while you're driving to and from work or wherever you are driving; practice, practice, practice. You get some funny looks from folks, but it's worth it. Come July and August, I do this a lot

09-May-16
Dan, you get funny looks whether you're buglin' or not! ;-)

To learn on, I'll second a single reed diaphragm like the Mellow Yellow Momma. Lots of "How To" on YouTube. Then, as stated above, practice, practice, practice.

I use diaphragms and a grunt tube exclusively. Makes every elk vocalization and, best of all, it's hands-free.

09-May-16
I used to listed to audio tapes (yes, tapes) and practice at red lights during my daily commute. Boy, did that get some funny looks in the Chicago area.

09-May-16
The diaphragms are a little bit of a learning curve...but worth the effort.

I can think of at least 10 times where tossing out a quick call with that diaphragm made a difference.

09-May-16
I believe you should learn three or four different elk sounds and become proficient with them and understand when and where to use them. Don't try to learn everything at once. As the seasons go by, learn a little more each year. As Elknut said, learn to make a couple of cow calls with a diaphragm and take a Thunder bugle or Elknut external reed bugle along. As you get better with the diaphragm, you can leave the external reed bugle behind and just carry a grunt tube and your diaphragm. I have never tried Elknut's external reed bugle, but I understand it is designed with that idea in mind.

09-May-16
Dutch, sent you a PM. Thanks!

ElkNut1

09-May-16
Thunder bugle hands down a monkey can use it

09-May-16
"Thunder bugle hands down a monkey can use it" Bigdan

I have quit buying them. I have purchased three and always end up giving them away to someone. My hunting friends are always impressed with the quality of the sounds they make, and want mine. After I take a diaphragm out of my mouth no one has ever talked like they want it. Now, I am not sure if it's the germs that bother them. Obviously even a monkey can use a Thunder bugle. lol

10-May-16
Bigdan, I thought for sure you were going to say a Hoochie Mama was the only elk call a guy needed.

11-May-16
I use mostly bugling bull diaphragms. I use a HS pack bugle tube. I have found the bugling bull diaphragms easier to control and still get the volume I'm looking for. I'm no expert but, it works for me. Probably going to go with the bully tube from bugling bulls on my next hunt though. From hearing it, it makes the bugles sound more 3 dimensional than the tubes I have. Gets that full tone and creates the vibration needed to add that extra bit of realism. At least at the decibals I hear. God Bless men

11-May-16
For diaphragms, start with a high pitched single latex one. Often said to be a small bull. They are easier to learn and the high pitch makes for a good locator.

11-May-16
Thanks to all I really appreciate the advice. I am going to try a diaphragm. If that doesn't work I will go to the "monkey can use it" call. Thanks again, Dutch

• Sitka Gear