Jethro 11-May-16
brettpsu 11-May-16
ElkNut1 11-May-16
Unit 9er 11-May-16
Beendare 11-May-16
bowriter 11-May-16
ELKMAN 11-May-16
10-May-16
I was asked to participate in a Podcast this Thursday on calling elk. Most the questions are pretty straight forward but there's one that I'm wishy washy about so I thought I'd get some feedback from you folks. Here it is. >>>>>>

"When I wake up each morning, what are the three things I should tell myself before I start my hunt?"

This is a serious question so any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

ElkNut1

10-May-16
Have fun, be patient and enjoy the little things. Everything will fall into place after that.

10-May-16
Today is the day,expect the unexpected,life is good in the elk woods.

10-May-16
i think you should be honest and express three things that you try to focus on after you wake up before heading out on a hunt. i am sure that you have ore than three things as we all do, just try to pick the three biggest in priority and go with those.

Best of luck on the podcast, an make sure to share the link so we can find it and listen in.

10-May-16
I'm lucky to be able to do this.

It can happen the first 30 seconds of the hunt as easily as the last 30 seconds.

Enjoy the little things because the big things don't always happen

10-May-16
What's the weather and wind forecast, what's my plan based on number 1, and what's my plan B?

10-May-16
Aim small. Follow thru. Life is good.

10-May-16
Mike, good point! Problem was I had to think hard on it, in honesty I really don't have 3 things I think about! (grin) I generally save the thought process once I get into an encounter, that's where patience, stay focused, etc. comes into play. But getting up in the morning & telling myself things before the days hunt really doesn't enter my mind.

Once I put some serious thought to it I had the same thought as Idacurt did, "Today is the day"! (grin) Being positive for me is a huge part of elk hunting. I'm open to more thoughts! Thanks!

ElkNut1

10-May-16

JMG's Link
Just tell them you repeat this every morning when you look in the mirror, prior to starting each day.

Click on link.

I'm smart enough, I'm good enough, and dog-gone-it . . . . people like me.

Positive thoughts bring positive results!

10-May-16
Three things that apply to any day that I elk hunt are. 1 Ignore what you dislike, being tired sore blowing it ect. Really enjoy what you do like. This applies to smile factor. Its a great thing to be able to elk hunt. 2 Stay focused or you will blow it when opportunity presents itself. This applies to getting caught off guard or not drawing early enough type of things. Basically not being 100% ready at all times. When this happens see #1 3 Be persistent-diligent even when you believe your odds are slim. Helps with the times when you think its over Only to figure out they all didn't leave ect. When this happens see #1

Lacking one of those three things have cost me more elk than I care to remember.

10-May-16
What podcast are you going to be on? I'd like to listen to it. I try to listen to a bunch of them, Gritty Bowmen, Jay Scott Outdoors, but there are so many now I can't catch them all. It kind of makes me wish I had a longer commute sometimes.

10-May-16
You are blessed to be alive.

You are even more blessed to be hunting.

All else is just minimal, regardless of how the day goes

10-May-16
Where is the Toilet Paper?

Who is starting the coffee?

TODAY is the day!!

10-May-16
1-check bowsite for any late breaking news on elk hunting.

2-make sure you have Bigdan's and TBM's phone numbers in case you need a real time strategy session on that difficult BULL

3-take your self-timer camera (no pictures it didn't happen)

Bonus tip- kill in cell phone friendly area so those stud packers of yours can get in there ASAP save a trip to go out and get them!!!grin

10-May-16
My three are usually:

1. Man, that was a terrible night's sleep. 2. How am I going to dry out? 3. I need coffee.

I'm sorry to say, that is seriously how it usually goes.

10-May-16
I sometimes get down while on week-long deer hunts. It is much less intense then elk hunting but maybe the same idea.

This a great question. I haven't really thought of it before.

Here are the three things I would pick:

1. Do the work. Get out there and get in the game. You wont kill one at camp.

2. Expect great things. The monster buck could come at any second. Be ready.

3. Enjoy the journey. It is great to have the time be out in the woods. It is great to have the woods to enjoy. It is a great day. Enjoy the day and cherish that are able to hunt today.

10-May-16
1. Get my butt out of bed. As good as it would feel to go back to sleep, chances are a bull isn't going to be standing outside my camper door begging to be shot.

2. Give it my all. As much as I may be worn out physically and mentally, I've got 11 months to recuperate.

3. Stay positive! Even though things may not be going as I wish, I know the bull of my dreams can come into my life at ANY minute.

10-May-16
I have one saying each and every morning during elk season: It should cover all three

"The good lord shuffled the elk deck last night, and I cant wait to play my hand today"

But that's my saying

10-May-16
Anything I say in the cold dark morning after about the 3rd or 4th day sounds like "mmmmhhhmhm, mmmhhhmhmhhh, aaahhhmmmmmhh" your guess is as good as mine....

My hunting partner and I have a saying to goad the other into going hunting (usually when they want/should be doing something else)

"Can't kill em on the couch." yep. Get up and do it. Half of winning in life is just showing up..... sometimes showing up is harder than others... but time to rest after they toss some dirt in your face.... you'll never have the shot at it again that you might have today....

10-May-16
I'm good enough I'm smart enough and gosh darn it people like me ;)

10-May-16
My three are typically to motivate me to get me out of bed. They are I'm not gonna kill a elk laying in bed, there are elk hunters and wanna be elk hunters, what are you and today is gonna be the day. Those thoughts are always enough to get out of a warm sleeping bag no matter how tired I am.

10-May-16
Thank you God for giving me this beautiful day(even if its a crappy weather day) Do I have the proper gear with me? Let's go hunting!

10-May-16
JMG & tacklebox, you had me laughing on that one! It brought those old memories back, thanks for the chuckle!

cnelk, that's actually a darned good saying, very unique. Thanks!

Great thoughts guys, several that I had considered but then felt it might not be what the guys are looking for? You have my wheels spinning! (grin)

The Podcast is called "Hunt Backcountry Podcast" -- Not sure of the link to where it's happening or can be heard. It's at 7-PM Thursday evening. Thanks for asking!

ElkNut1

10-May-16
who cares what they are looking for.

give 'em what is on your heart. What is it you want the guys out there to know?

10-May-16
1, Thank God for blessing me with the means, ability and strength to doe what I love! Enjoy the gifts that he shares with me. 2, Be patient, don't force it 3, Aim Small!

10-May-16
I'm along the lines of Swamp Buck. Coffee Toilet Paper Hopefully in that order.

Then I am ready to go with the knowledge that when the day is done I will have one fewer elk hunting days left in my lifetime. Make the best of it and give it all I've got!

10-May-16
I wonder what my elk is doing in his last few hours:)

Thanks that I can still go!

Remembering those that can't.

10-May-16
easeup, I hear ya sir, but that's the battle I'm having within! I flat do not connect with the question. The rest of the questions they're asking are related to calling & dealing with elk under very specific encounters. No problem there, I got it. But the question being asked by the panel of 3 is this. -- "When I wake up each morning, what are the three things I should tell myself before I start my hunt?" -- It doesn't say what are the three things I should do. In honesty, I don't tell myself anything! (grin)

I get up, do what needs being done & take the day on full speed ahead. If the wheels start coming off I will do whatever it takes to keep moving forward & not let anything stop me. -- I feel the question lingers on the emotional side & that's not me at all.

Thanks for the responses, I'll work it out or avoid the question! (big grin)

ElkNut1

10-May-16
Hunt hard, close the distance, make something happen..

It'll come to you elknut. Have fun with it.

10-May-16
Jeff, thanks! Charlie, good points!

ElkNut1

10-May-16
For those interested in listening to the Podcast here's one of the many questions asked! (How do you hunt elk that call (respond to hunters’ calls), but won’t come?)

This is a common question we've all had to deal with on DIY OTC elk hunts. Just whetting a few appetites! (grin) Thanks again for all your comments & thoughts.

ElkNut1

10-May-16
Aim small miss small.

Relax...its just an elk

Go a little further today

10-May-16
What I tell myself.

1. I know he means well, getting us up at 4:30 EVERY morning. But, still....

2. If I don't get up at 4:30, I can still make it out at daylight and maybe get into elk a lot closer to camp.

3. I won't be afraid to go back where I saw the grizzly yesterday. What are the odds he will still be there?

10-May-16
1. "Underwear. Gotta wear underwear today."

2. "Tuck, THEN zip."

3. "This is a gift. Savor every moment...even the blowdowns."

11-May-16
I tell myself to remember to put the bino harness on before the pack is strapped to my back.

11-May-16
"I tell myself to remember to put the bino harness on before the pack is strapped to my back."

Can't tell you how many times I've done this myself.

11-May-16
Ha Ha, I've done the same thing with my harness, I generally end up saying ahh the heck with them I don't need them binos anyway & away I go! (grin)

ElkNut1

11-May-16
1. Be a leader today- 1st out of the sack, start the coffee, wake fellow hunters, cut the firewood when back at camp, cook breakfast, whatever it takes.

2. Stick to the plan

3. Hunt smart and use your instincts.

11-May-16
Location, Location, Location

11-May-16
1- Enjoy the day. 2- Appreciate the opportunity. 3- Remember who created all you see.

11-May-16
I am blessed to be here, and you can't regret an arrow you don't release...

• Sitka Gear