Huntcell 11-Jun-16
Tgoody14 29-Jun-16
ohiohunter 29-Jun-16
W 01-Jul-16
Tgoody14 19-Aug-16
Tgoody14 19-Aug-16
Barrera 21-Aug-16
11-May-16
I got lucky and finally hit the jackpot! Unit 17 first archery hunt Sept 1- 14!! I'm beyond excited and can't wait to get there! A good friend of mine and I are taking off Sept 1-12. That should give us 8 or 9 full days to get it done!!!

We are both in great shape, early 30s, and we walk a lot so our initial plan is to get up there and get as far away from any public road as possible and set up camp.

Have any of you guys hunted or been to this Unit 17!? Any help, tips, guidance, or past experiences please share them! We hunt a lot, but this will be our first Elk hunt. Not even really looking for a trophy, but more for the experience!!!

Anybody used a drop camp? Is it worth it? We want to keep our costs down, but we might be out there awhile if we can't locate them...

Thanks in advance guys! Taylor

11-May-16
No need for a drop camp IMO, once you find them you will be in good shape. Being that early they probably wont be vocal so your going to have to glass and find them. Get good maps, and even a chip for the GPS. I found different maps showed me different things so it helped having multiple ones.

12-May-16
Thanks for the info. Any site better than the other for GPS maps and/or paper copies!? I don't mind spending the extra money to have both. I wouldn't want to get bogged down in the Forrest and not have enough signal for the GPS

Are there places to get away from roads and other hunters!? Or is this unit pretty accessible by vehicle!?

Thanks Again, Taylor

12-May-16
I've hunted 17 a few times, and the elk are pretty nomadic. It is a place I would not recommend packing into, because I have been there and been covered up in the AM and seen nothing in the PM because the elk just went elsewhere. You might find a hole they get pushed into, but that is not my experience.

13-May-16
Don't spend the money on drop camps in 17. Keep your money, hunt hard and you will be fine. I will pm you.

13-May-16
Is Magdelana in this unit?

13-May-16

Tberg's Link
The above advice is good, don't need a guide, drop camp, or pack in. Study maps and pick a few spots, you'll likely find a few more when your there, access is good, plenty of roads. You can get all the maps you need from Game Planner Maps. Their Map Viewer is an awesome tool for online scouting. I'd give them a call.

13-May-16
Yep, second Matt. I've only hunted it once, in 2010, and it was only my second elk hunt, but there was definitely no need to pack in.

Take some comfortable items to camp at your truck. I'd recommend an ATV as well. Saves wear and tear on the truck on those roads. we took a Polaris Ranger, and it was handy to have.

My buddy killed a 340 bull about 3/4 of a mile from a main road, and I killed a raghorn on the last day about 1/4 mile from a well-used spur road

It's dry country. Don't count on finding water for yourselves that you'll want to drink. I'd recommend taking enough water for your needs for the whole trip. They charge for water at the gas stations out there.

Have fun, it's a fun hunt

13-May-16
Also, check and see if the Welty's ranch is unit-wide. If it is, check the access laws for those unit-wide ranches, that might allow you some access to places in the national forest that are hard to get to otherwise.

But check the laws for sure. The CO of the area was named Storm when we were there, and he was an extremely helpful and nice guy. If he's still in that area, he's worth a phone call for sure.

13-May-16
Welty is ranch only

13-May-16
Hunt the western sides of the Magdalena mountains or the west side of the San Mateos. The elk go out on the flats at night but will be back in the lower elevation bedding areas at first light. They will be rubbing the trees/bushes quit a bit during your hunt. There are lots of rattle snakes so be aware. It's very dry country but some of the big deep canyons have intermittent streams. My 12 yr old son had the 2nd archery hunt last year and got 2 shots in 5 days. He drew youth MB muzzle this year and we're excited. Feel free to contact me with questions.

13-May-16
All great info guys! Thanks I really appreciate all that everyone shares on this site. I've learned quite a bit just reading through old topics.

I got the PM, I'll give you a call tomorrow. Congrats on the tag! I will most definitely pass along any and all info I can while we are out there to help you guys out.

I definitely need to get on these maps and start looking at areas to set up. Seems like most everyone stays on the West side or southern side.

I'm going to make a 4day trip in a couple weeks just to start learning the roads and hump a few hills to check some mapped areas.

Again, thanks guys! Much appreciated!!!

14-May-16
Please take pics and share your hunt when you get back!

Congrats on the tag and have fun.

14-May-16

Tgoody14's Link
We will definitely document this trip. I have several GoPros and a Sony Handycam so I plan on recording everything and putting together a video.

If you guys get bored and want to watch a hunting video I did last year, I'll post the link. My Wife and I hunt a lot together so it was great to record her getting a nice 8pt buck she's been after for several years. She also put down some real monster Aoudads on a stalk in West Texas.

Thanks again guys and keep the info coming ;)

29-May-16
Looks like we won't be able to make it over to NM this weekend like we had planned. Some other things came up, guess that's life!

Anyways, I've appreciated all the feedback from you guys so far.

Has anyone else had any experiences in Unit 17 New Mexico!?

Thanks, Taylor

05-Jun-16
Is there a fire in this unit? Read a short article today and they mentioned these mountains. Best hunt of my life was in gila right after a fire.

06-Jun-16
You will be better served going September 3-14th rather than the 1st-12th. If you have to lose a couple hunting days suring this hunt, lose the days at the beginning of the hunt, not the end if at all possible.

11-Jun-16
You're right looks like that fire has taken almost 20,000 acres so far and they only have a 20% containment rate on it... Not good!!

Our days off from work are already scheduled. We wanted to hunt the last half but we just can't make it happen through work.

Any areas you guys know we should check out please let us know. And thanks everybody for the information thus far, much appreciated

11-Jun-16

Huntcell 's Link
Link to fire info in National forest road closures

29-Jun-16
Looks like the fire is holding at 42k acres now. That's a lot of burn.... Hopefully they get some good rain now and it greens up real nice!

For those of you that have hunted this area, or any early archery season for that matter... What are some average distances on shot opportunity!? Being this early and them not being vocal we may not be able to call them in... Right now I'm comfortable shooting out to 50, but that's with 4 pins and I don't know if I should add some more pins to really get out there or not...

Thoughts?

29-Jun-16
For me more pins = more confusion in the moment, IMO 50yds is adequate. They will be vocal esp towards the end of your hunt.

01-Jul-16
As others said, camp from the truck. Road traffic never seemed to be a problem. Bring two spare tires for the truck. Bring plenty of water. It can be tough hunting if they aren't talking. Not a lot of places to set up and glass.

19-Aug-16

Tgoody14's embedded Photo
Getting closer!!! Got out there for a 4day wknd and it was just a teaser haha beautiful country out there that's for sure!!!

Found some waterholes and a few trails with old rubs, now just have to hope I get lucky and have a bull make a mistake ;)

19-Aug-16

21-Aug-16
T GOODY. Looking good go get you a nice elk it's almost time. Going to be cool to experience your first elk hunt in a awesome unit. Hunt hard and will get a shot. :)

• Sitka Gear