willow paw 17-May-16
Unit 9er 17-May-16
LINK 17-May-16
LINK 17-May-16
midwest 17-May-16
midwest 17-May-16
Jaquomo 17-May-16
12-May-16
Has any one ever used something like this for deer or elk? I have got close to whitetails before bending over and putting my hands up like ears and mimicking there movements.

It might not be safe unless you wear some orange :) http://www.blackovis.com/be-the-decoy-elk-wapiti-assassin-decoy-hat

15-May-16
I'd be way too afraid to try that in my elk woods!

15-May-16
I think there would be lighter weight options.

15-May-16
I have tried the deer and antelope versions with no luck

15-May-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's wife made one.

15-May-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Ziek made a deer decoy hat from a costume hat. He upgraded it with taxi eyes and a paint job.

15-May-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Blacktail Bob's homemade sitka hat.

15-May-16
While it probably works great,the thought of potentially being shot by an idiot would stop me from ever wearing one.

15-May-16
Yes, way too many poachers roaming around the hills where I hunt. Guns going off in bow season, etc.

No animal is worth getting shot over. I suppose they probably work great and give you extra time in many situations. Not for me tho'.

15-May-16
They took Jaq's idea, I'll never buy one from them. They work well.

15-May-16

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
I've had good luck wearing this.

15-May-16

willow paw's embedded Photo
I have always wanted to try something like this with whitetails but in Michigan I would be a little worried on public land. Too many idiots running around. But what if you painted it bright orange?

15-May-16
I've decoyed so many bulls and bucks in with my elk and deer hats, I lost count long ago. Fantastic tools. Besides bringing them right to you, if you get busted you can drop down, take it off the pack and put it on and become a deer or elk. Calms them right down and often brings them over.

Its a great calling aid for solo hunters. I've had bulls in my lap that I didn't want to shoot, took it off and waved it at them, and they didn't leave.

As far as safety, it's not like I wander around in the woods wearing it. Its a situational tool. No more or less safe than any other decoy.

15-May-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Like this one that a Bowsiter's wife made him make blaze orange? Not sure if it worked.

15-May-16

ProGuide's embedded Photo
ProGuide's embedded Photo
I wouldn't want to carry that big hat around. Check out this easy to set up and take down elk decoy from My Elk Call website, The print has two elk on it and can be seen from both sides. Weighs less than a pound. http://www.myelkcall.com/elkturkeydecoyslightweight.html

15-May-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
The deer hat sure works for whitetails and muleys, though,

15-May-16
My hats weigh a couple ounces and clip on a carabiner on the back of my pack. They're made out of craft foam from the hobby store, hot-glued onto a ballcap frame. So they essentially weigh the same as a ballcap.

2-D decoys like the big ones above are a great tool too, but in a totally different category. Apples and oranges. Static decoying vs. dynamic decoying with the hat. They aren't portable, and you can't make them move, look around, stare at the bull, bob up and down like feeding.

16-May-16
"As far as safety, it's not like I wander around in the woods wearing it. Its a situational tool. No more or less safe than any other decoy."

Except that you are wearing it.

Hopefully you stay safe in the woods through all your days...

16-May-16
Unit 9er, I get it and thanks for the good wishes. This is like the turkey fanning discussion. Lots of hunters work directly behind 2-D elk decoys, use Heads Up decoys attached to the bow. Guides and callers "flash" 2-D decoys for their shooters.

By far the greatest danger to elk hunters is on the road while behind the wheel of a hunting rig. I never give the decoying aspect a second thought.

16-May-16
BTW, Ishi taught this trick to Saxton Pope, so its by no means a new idea. Ishi used a real deer cape for his and actively moved it around like I do.

16-May-16

Hey Jaquomo How much would you sell one of those hats for?? :) That is awesome!

This old image (not sure where it originates from) has stuck with me for a long time. I have always wanted to try something like this.

16-May-16
I built a hat per Jac specs (For mule deer). For this fall elk hunt, I took same hat and re-painted it for an elk.

My strategy was to use hat as I look above my elk mountain slip decoy.

Turns out I killed my elk without it, but I was prepared if the right situation presented itself.

16-May-16
I don't sell them but if you shoot me your email I'll send you the instructions along with photos. I'll trade you for a JPEG of that photo.

Just don't get shot! :)

I have had many actual experiences like that in your print. The bull in the photo midwest posted being one of them.

16-May-16
Jaq, Give us a situation as to how you'd use it for elk.

16-May-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Attaches in a few seconds to your bow and you shoot right threw the hole.

PS: It has Velcro Orange strips.

16-May-16
Charlie - that's great!!

Nick, lots of example but here are a couple - I crest a rise and am busted by a couple cows on the edge of a herd. I immediately drop down into the grass, take it off my pack, put it on and "show" it while making a couple of soft, inquisitive contact mews. I bob my head down like I'm taking a bite of grass, look at the cows, look behind me, basically become an elk. More than half the time the cows go back to feeding or walk over to meet me.

Here's another: I spot a bull and I'm in a spot where I can move into a shooting position if he comes. I show myself with the hat, give out a few cowcalls while looking at him, look back over my shoulder and throw a couple behind me, like I'm the lead in a small herd. Then I bob (feed again) look up at him, etc.. and when he starts coming I drop down and scoot off to the side and get ready to shoot. Sometimes I'll leave the hat visible if there's a bush handy, sometimes I just hide it so he has to look for me.

I've crawled up on them through sagebrush while wearing it. Also worked in on them in timber while looking over an Elk Mountain Butt slip or a Montana Butt. I often wear a mottled tan hoodie when elk hunting anyway because they're used to seeing tan things in the woods. Like Bigdan's tan vest. Another Bowsiter sent me a great elk shirt made from a Montana butt with the spring steel removed and neck holes/arm holes sewn in. I've used it a few times and it's ridiculously effective but I feel goofy wearing it.

That thing of Charlie's is like a Heads-Up on steroids. I'm sure the Safety Patrol will flag that one!

16-May-16
Charlie, whacha got there?

17-May-16
Jaquomo,

sent you a PM hopefully I did it right :)

Charlie thats a pretty cool idea too! wow

17-May-16
I must admit Charlie, That looks like it could be really effective!

17-May-16

LINK's Link
A link to the decoy in Charlie's photo.

17-May-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

LINK's Link

17-May-16
I like the 3D effect of the hat combined with movement. Also, much lighter and quicker/quieter to deploy than the other options.

The ultimate predator decoy looks fantastic but I'm not digging the Velcro attachment.

17-May-16
It seems the Poison Arrow deke would be flapping like a flag in a breeze.

17-May-16
I did get everyone's PMs and will be sending out the hat instructions later today. Hopefully nobody gets shot! ;)

• Sitka Gear