Carnivore 17-May-16
cnelk 17-May-16
flyingbrass 17-May-16
huntabsarokee 17-May-16
Mad_Angler 17-May-16
nchunter 17-May-16
ElkNut1 17-May-16
14-May-16
Ok so I'm considering using a couple trail cams for OTC Elk this year in Colorado and need some advice:

What should I look for in an affordable camera?

Locking device?

I know these are targets of opportunity for others to find, so how best to camouflage?

Bob

14-May-16
My experience is to stay away from Wildgame Innovations. The best I have found is Bushnell for the price. Plan on them being stolen, locking devices are only as good as what they are mounted to. The lockboxes are pried off the trees. Best to conceal them, place them up high and point downwards. Make it so they have to climb the tree if they see them.

14-May-16
I have some older Stealthcams. They work pretty good. Also I just purchased a Browning Recon Force that doesn't seem to work all that well at night. The range was about 25-30 feet. Haven't tried it out during the day. But it sure does have a lot more features than the Stealthcams.

14-May-16
If you put it out during your hunt in a lock box I doubt someone would pry it off, I'd think they would be more worried about elk hunting than carrying a crowbar. But you never know.

14-May-16
I bought Tasco 5mp for $89, same as a Bushnell. Coupled with a Dane Electric card reader for my Iphone I have no complaints. I haven't locked or lost a camera yet.

14-May-16
Hang 'em high just to keep bears from seeing them. Bears love to destroy them. 8' up is usually good. 10 or more is golden.

Don't use them in wilderness areas. Technically, they are "installations", and thus not allowed without a special permit.

Unless you are hunting waterholes, I'm not sure what good they do (except that it's fun to capture pictures of critters). Elk you catch on camera one day might not return to that spot for weeks. The best use might be to have one aimed at your camp while you are gone hunting.

14-May-16
Bob, we are a Bowsite sponsor. Our company is Guardian Hunting. We invented and manufacturer the Cam Guardian. It is a camera theft deterrent device that works great. We sell it for 24.99. It is a 48 inch specially coated steel band that is housed by a 7061 aluminum block that operates by a simple security screw that we also manufacturer. If you are investing $100 or more it makes good sense to protect it from being stolen. We have sold thousands in the last year and have not received one complaint as far as someone's camera stolen while being protected by the Cam-Guardian. If you want to order on line you can at Guardianhunting.com or PM me and I will give you more information. Charlie Rehor bought several and to my knowledge is happy with the results. Gary

14-May-16
I bought two of the Stealth Cam G30s last year. They have work flawlessly. I believe they were $84 each on Amazon.

14-May-16
Honestly I have tried about every mfr of cameras out there that are in the $200 or less range. I have found that the Browning cameras perform the best bang for your buck. If you are putting them off the beaten trail I doubt anyone will mess with them. Between myself and my buddy last year we were running 6 cams in our unit where we hunted. We had a few people on the cams but they just walked right by them. Not saying all people are honest but as small as they make them now you can walk right by them and not know they are there.

15-May-16
If you are concerned about warranty check out exodus outdoor gear. They offer a 5 year warranty if anything goes wrong and their cameras are a little over $200 - you can get them on Amazon. Picture quality is compatible to any other camera I've ever ran, and you know you'll get more than 1 or 2 years out of it.

They has have a warranty for stolen or damaged cams that allow you to purchase a replacement for a discounted price.

15-May-16
I've had my best success with Moultries. I've tried others. but always go back to them. My Browning took great daytime pic's, but once it got dark, totally useless. IMO, if you're going to use them in high traffic area's, I'd buy the cheapest one's I could find.

15-May-16
www.trailcampro.com does independent testing on trail cameras. Their top selling camera is the Browning Strike Force (2015) and Strike Force Elite (2016). They are extremely good for $130. bw

15-May-16
I have 6 of the Browning Strike Force. Nothing but good luck with them. Quick trigger time, good battery life and a lot of options ie video etc. Have never had issues with night photos...just B&W like all cams!

Saw them on Ebay this a.m. for between $79 and $120.

15-May-16
I too own the Browning strike force, very good camera for sure! I put cameras where other hunters do not venture, I have zero issues with being stolen. I do my best to not hunt areas where they are hunting or viewing the same elk I'm after. This can help reduce possible theft.

ElkNut1

16-May-16
Steer clear of ANY Spypoint product.

16-May-16
Carnivore can you show us some Reg or law stating that game cameras are not allowed in a wilderness in Colorado. I just looked at every Colorado agency, regs, laws and so forth and can not find one thing. The only thing that I have found is this. "Temporary installations (in place for less than a year), such as a shelter for cameras, may be permitted by the Forest Service for research or study purposes on a case-by-case basis." I'm not trying to start anything, I just want to be somewhat correct when I put out my cameras that I won't have a shelter for.

BobH I got a couple of the Tasco cameras that look just like the Busnell that were only $25 each just in case they do get stolen i don't have much invested. They work good had one in the back yard for a month taking pics of all my dogs. Can't complain for the price.

16-May-16
The new wildgame innovations cameras work really well. They operate on 4 AA batteries for several thousand pics. I have three at our deer lease. I've had them for over two years. Less than $100.00

17-May-16
ElkChaser413,

I read about it in Bugle magazine in 2013, in an article by Mark Kayser I believe.

Here's a link to the subject by the state of Utah: http://digitallibrary.utah.gov/awweb/awarchive?type=file&item=10742

It says they are not allowed in wilderness areas, and a permit is needed to use them on BLM or on a NF.

It all hinges on the definition of "installation". And a case could be made that the hard plastic case surrounding a trail camera is a shelter. Another question is enforcement. Maybe it's so under the radar that CPW doesn't care. You could call CPW or the Forest Service to find out.

Let us know what you learn.

17-May-16
What good do they do??

For me they tell me what comes by my tree stand when Im not there during season!

photo SUNP0035_zpsvol21350.jpg

photo SUNP0007_zpsewsgdpoj.jpg

17-May-16
covert

17-May-16
Another fan of the Browning. Not sure which model I have but it was less than $100 maybe around $85. Battery life is good and pics are nice. Could be better at night but can't see paying $300 for a camera strapped to a tree. If it were me I wouldn't be too worried OTC elk hunting unless you noticed lots of hunters in your area. I think the chance of someone stumbling on your camera during a short season is slim. Not back here in PA I would never let a camera up on public land without a locking device.

17-May-16
Standard question. Standard answer:

Trailcampro.com

They do unbiased, technical reviews on nearly all models of game cameras. You can determine which features fit best with your budget.

They also carry nearly all makes. If you buy one, it comes with free shipping, extra 2 year warranty, and a memory card.

You can even call them to get personalized recommendations.

Why would anyone go anywhere else?

(no affiliation, just a happy customer)

17-May-16
Browning strike force is a great camera for the money. Covert has great customer service and pretty decent cameras

17-May-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Cameras can also share some unwanted critters in your areas as well. (grin)

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear