Mule Power 20-May-16
WV Mountaineer 20-May-16
GDx 20-May-16
SteveB 22-May-16
jims 22-May-16
DonVathome 23-May-16
SteveB 24-May-16
15-May-16
I am looking for a 800-100 gram insulated winter boot for hiking. The lighter the better - and it has to be something cabelas carries!

Ideas?

15-May-16
Danner Pronhorn is only one I know off the top of my head

15-May-16
I love Danner Pronghorns and they make just what you ordered except if you want 1000 gram thinsulate and goretex and quality....it can't be real light weight. I just bought a like new pair with side zippers also for $68 on Ebay !!

Joe

15-May-16
The phrases "1000 gr" and "hiking" don't seem to go together in my experience. I have never hiked in any conditions where my feet wouldn't sweat tremendously if I had 1000 gr. I use them only for sitting. The max I use for hiking is 400. What will your use be?

As to my favorite in the 1000 gr category: Cabelas elk hunter by Danner. However, they are not that light and looks like Cabelas doesn't make them anymore. I think Danner still makes them though.

15-May-16
+1 txhunter58, my thoughts exactly! I've hunted on the move in -10 & 400-600 gram insulated is more than enough with two socks. Boots like this will weigh aprox 2.3 pounds each, not bad at all.

ElkNut1

15-May-16
Don, whats the story behind this need?

16-May-16
Look at keen winter boots, I have them they are awesome!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/men-s-footwear/men-s-pac-winter-boots%7C/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/103959180/keen-summit-county-pac-boots/1262799.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fmens-pac-winter-boots%2Fkeen%2F_%2FN-1107989%2B1000003788%2FNe-1000003788%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103959180%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU

Check the keen website as well, I only buy keens now, I have lowa's, meindle's, danners, and they don't compare with keen, no break in required, inexpensive and they last!

16-May-16
I would agree with the above that 1000 gram boots and hiking are mutually exclusive. I work in the woods in below zero temps and wouldn't consider boots like that. I typically wear 400 gram or less leather boots such as Meindl or 400 gram Irish Setter rubber boots on wet ground or deep snow. Walking in anything heavier would be torture.

16-May-16
You will NEVER need that kind of insulation on a "hiking" hunt...

16-May-16
+1 for Danner Pronghorn I have them and love them

16-May-16
"You will NEVER need that kind of insulation on a "hiking" hunt" Unless your feet have been frostbit. I have a pair of 1000 gram pronghorns that I wear around the house all year long. Even on the boat in the summer. They are like slippers. My feet haven't been "warm" since the 80's. You never know what a persons reason for asking a question is. I just guided a wounded warrior turkey hunt and would wear my Danners sitting on the couch in the cabin 3 feet from the stoked up wood stove right up until it was time to crawl in the sleeping bag. Like i said, you never know. I'd like to know if there is anything warmer and more comfortable.

17-May-16
I have done it many times - but in really old boots (20 years old) in other words likely they were down to likely 500 grams because of age.

It worked fine. Good socks for sure.

I am hunting in single digit and below zero conditions (with snow) where I am hiking miles then stopping and sitting, stalking or glassing.

Yes not needed hiking, but needed rest of the time. Not carrying 2 boots.

December and January in rockies.

17-May-16
Good point though, after more thought I am sure my old boots were so old they were nowhere near 1000 grams anymore. I was surprised when I was covering 5-8 miles a day and feet were ok - I just assumed good socks and not going full bore. I think I was wrong.

Might need to look at 400-600 with place for hand warmers.

BTW a plug for Rocky boots. I through them out in WY this winter to make room for more meat coming home. They were beat to heck. I have hiked hundreds, if not thousands of miles and spent weeks in treestands etc. The boots were literally over 20 years old and rubber was rotting and falling off and camo faded/wore off 10 years ago. Still boots felt great and did not leak.

Given how old and what I put them through it was very impressive. TBH if they lasted 1/2 as long I would have been thrilled beyond belief.

17-May-16
I just bought a pair of Meindl (Made for Cabelas.) Ultra Light Hunter boots. 400 grams Thinsulate and Goretex. I know you are asking about 1000 but these boots are very light and comfortable. They will make good hiking boots.

18-May-16

Cheesehead Mike's Link
You might also want to consider some Arctic Shield Ice Breaker boot covers. They're lightweight and should help keep your feet warm while stationary.

20-May-16
Thanks guys!

20-May-16
Rocky still makes boots? lol

20-May-16
Too much insulation is worse than not enough if it is cold and, you are doing enough walking to sweat your feet. Boot covers and a 400 gram boot will do well in the situation you described. God Bless

20-May-16
i have some 1000g thinsulate boots that I got from cabelas. I use them occasionally hiking to go ice fishing. the key to being comfortable in them is to wear a vapor barrier sock. these keep your foot sweat from getting your insulating socks wet. liner sock - vapor barrier - smartwool

get the boots big enough to accommodate.

22-May-16
Carcus, any suggestions on Keen models? They make too many!

22-May-16
I've been hunting and scouting Wyoming and Colorado year round since I was a kid and never have owned a pair of insulated hiking boots. I bought my Lowa Tibets a 1/2 size larger so I can wear a little thicker socks when it's super cold...mid winter. I do a lot of hiking and sitting/glassing and can't remember when my feet have ever been cold unless they were wet....possibly from sweating! Your feet may actually get colder wearing insulated boots if your feet sweat and you spend much timing sitting? If I spend much time in deeper snow I often wear Sorels that are pretty much designed for those conditions.

Sounds like you may be searching for a pair of boots for Jackson bison? Jackson generally gets more snow and cold so maybe sorels may be what you are looking for? That's about the only place I can think of where you might need insulated boots.

23-May-16
jims yes it is jackson. Below zero likely (not counting wind chill). I think I am going with 400 at most and getting a lightweight pair of covers.

Ideas for covers?

24-May-16
Icebreaker also has a nice pac boot that is light and very warm.

• Sitka Gear