Contributors to this thread:
1arrow*! 15-May-16
Ed 15-May-16
Beendare 16-May-16
midwest 16-May-16
DonVathome 17-May-16
Beendare 17-May-16
15-May-16
I got "dumb lucky" and got drawn for Arizona Unit 27 (Apache-Sitgreaves NF, Blue Range), which is supposed to be a very good unit for large elk. Dates are 16-29 Sept. Do any of you have experience in this unit, words of advice, best areas, etc? It is a big area.

I will hunt in my usual OTC area in Colorado during early September, then off to AZ.

15-May-16
A large portion of the unit burned in the Wallow fire in 2011. 27 still produces a lot of elk and some big bulls. The Blue Range is not the part of the unit I would hunt. Stay West of US 191 and North of East Eagle Creek and you should have no trouble finding bulls. PM Sent.

16-May-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I've hunted it solo DIY. Last time was in 2013- bull pictured- I did a shortened hunt due to my dad passing. Bulls all over that unit...you can stop on just about any dirt road and hear them bugling a ways off.

Its thick in a lot of places and you won't see another hunter once you get off the roads.

16-May-16
You took my tag. ;-)

Congrats....how many points did you have?

17-May-16
I would not hunt OTC in early Sept I would be there scouting! Great tag. Easy to find big mature bulls - cover a lot of ground and listen for deep mature bugles before entering the woods. I liked the southern end around wilderness/primitive area.

Like beendare said "Bulls all over that unit...you can stop on just about any dirt road and hear them bugling a ways off"

No way I would waste 1 second otc with that tag.........

Beendare did I ever tell you I am pretty sure I heard a wolf really close making an odd sound in the area you hunted?

17-May-16
I had those wolves going by me as close as 100yds while hiking back up to the road in the dark on two different nights but never got a look at them.....pretty cool.

• Sitka Gear