ELKMAN 22-May-16
jims 22-May-16
soloman 22-May-16
jims 22-May-16
Pyrannah 12-Jun-16
brianhood 12-Jun-16
brianhood 12-Jun-16
16-May-16
I currently have a pair of crispi htx boots (approx. 4 yrs old) with 400grams of insulation. I like the boot a lot and it seems to fit o.k. but when I start getting in rougher terrain (steep and rocky), I think my foot is sliding around.. I get a feeling of bruises on the balls of my feet.. Maybe potential blisters, but only walk about 3 to 4 miles with a pack and then call it a day.

I'm preparing for my first western hunt and want to be prepared the best I can and have the boots dialed in the best that I can. This hunt will be sept 10th through the 20th.

This isn't a backpack hunt but we'll be hunting from a basecamp and covering a lot of ground. I'd guess i'll have maybe a 10# pack for the day.

Do I really need boots with insulation?? I want to find a good fit, light weight boot, with goretex.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

16-May-16
No you don't need insulation.

I suggest Lowa Renegades.

16-May-16
Find an REI and get your feet in some lowas, hanwags, soloman, vasq... etc. Listen to your feet and ignore the price tag, miserable feet = not fun.

After reading about the cabelas meindles here I'd like to at least try on a pair.

16-May-16
No insulation needed, just have some different choice of socks. There are a lot of good boots out there but they all fit different to everyone's foot, the ONLY way to find the right boot for you is to go try them out.

I personally use the crisp idaho's and they are the best boot I have ever put on my feet and I have had quite a few high end boots.

At the end of the day that doesn't mean they would be the best for you though.

Good luck.

16-May-16
No insulation. I really like my Lowa Rangers, and also really liked the Crispi Idaho that I wore prior to the Rangers. Base your selection more on fit than brand.

16-May-16
As others have stated, you do not need insulation. Not only don't you need it, you'll more than likely regret having it if you do.

I'll echo soloman's recommendations. Everyone's feet are different, so try different brands/ models before you buy. I've tried so many different boots that I've lost count. The Asolo Bajura's fit me like a glove, but again, what feels best to me may not to you.

16-May-16
Soloman has great advice above. I love my Lowa Renegades but they may not be for everyone. Make sure you look at all kinds of boots, not just "hunting" boots. Asolo, Scarpa, Soloman, Vasque, etc market themselves to hikers. All western hunters are hikers!

16-May-16
I have one pair of insulated boots that actually fit which is my guess to as why you feel like your foot is slipping around, the insulation has give to it, get a good pair of uninsulated boots and some Merino socks. I thought my whole life that I had normal width feet, but they are low volume and it takes a narrower boot to fit right. For years I had boots that my feet slipped around in some, it left my legs extremely fatigued which I thought was normal after a tough day elk hunting. I finely found a good fitting semi rigid hiking boot. I bought them mid season, first day wearing them with no break in time, I felt at the end of the day like I could head right back up the mountain! Bottom line, you need to know your feet and get some that fit, worth a trip to an rei if you can. If you do have narrow feet, look at the LaSportiva boots.

16-May-16
I would agree that for most mountain hunt scenarios, you don't need much insulation. 0-200 grams would be adequate. Then there is Canmore. If you are hunting there, more is better. :-)

16-May-16
In rocky terrain a soft boot will conform to the rocks and your foot will contort and conform to the ground. Your foot can also move in the boot unless it's laced up and fitting tight. If you know you'll be in rocky, contorted ground, I would stay away from a soft boot like a Pronghorn, Renegade, or Salomon Quest and go to a stiff sole boot that will keep your foot from bending and flexing with every step. A lowa Tibet, Cevedale, or Hanwag Alaska would fit that bill. Your foot will need to fit the stiff sole boot however, it won't conform to you like a soft boot will. Several miles of break in required.

For a bow hunt, in what many would call "standard terrain", a soft boot works just fine. Climbing a rock here and there isn't a big deal and the soft boot is a little quieter than a stiff sole boot. I liked my Quest 4D's better than my Renegads as they were a bit more substantial. Both of them leaked within a few miles however.

Just my opinion from personal use but I would list from a soft to a stiff/more substantial boot: Merrell Moab/Lowa Zephyre, Lowa Renegade/Vasque breeze, Salomon Quest, Lowa Tibet/Cevedale Pro, Hanwag Alaskan.

16-May-16
I would add to take a pair of sock liners and a good pair of socks with you to the store.

When you buy a new pair, go find the nearest steep slope. Do some side hilling up and down for a few minutes. You will find out real quick if you made a bad choice.

16-May-16
Wapiti, I'd toss the lowa ranger in between the renegades and the tibets.

16-May-16
i have the hanwag yellowstone 11. they are great boots and have gortex light insulation. recommend them very much.....

16-May-16
Try on as many as you can, start with a pair of Vasque Breeze.

16-May-16
Call Lathrop & Sons and talk to Steve. Get yourself a pair of boot liners and your troubles will be over!

16-May-16
You need a good pair of insoles. Not many of today's boots have a good insole. Even for the boots you already have.

16-May-16
Boot liners/insoles, to me they are the same.

16-May-16
I used all kind of high end insoles, till I got good boots that fit, now I don't need them!

16-May-16
Oldgoat,

I agree with that statement. I purchased a pair of boots from Lathrop which fit me like a glove but Steve talked me into purchasing a pair of insoles and I swear that I could walk all day every day and would not have foot problems.

I just thought that Pyranna was looking for a way to keep his boots and make them more comfortable instead of purchasing a new pair.

16-May-16
thanks everyone for the thoughts and opinions.. i received a 20% off coupon from REI today in the mail.. Guess, i know where i'm headed this weekend now.....

I thought about trying to get mine to work with the liners from Lathrop and Sons (and i still may do that) but it still doesn't fix the weight and the insulation issue i have with them. My feet do get hot wearing them and i was under the impression i would need insulated boots, but i'm glad to hear, that is not the case.

I'm trying to do everything i can on my side to make this hunt successful.

Thanks Bighorn!

16-May-16
Sent you a PM

16-May-16
You can order almost any boot from REI, 12 month return applies.

16-May-16
Lace your boots for a better fit and they wont move around

16-May-16
Sent you a couple more links.

16-May-16
Pyrannah,

I looked at the Cristi HTX boots on the web but I don't know which model boot you have. I would wear something that heavy if I were hunting in October or later when you just might get into a lot of snow. It's pretty uncommon to have that much snow in September, not that it couldn't happen.

I have been hunting in CO for the past 48 years and most years I wear a pair of tennis shoes or a light boot that supports my ankles, not tall boots. But that's just me. If you are going to wear your 400 gram insulated boots I would get the inserts and a pair of hiking sock. I am trying to think of the good socks that I wear but I can't remember the brand name and I don't want to pull my hunting clothes out tonight.

It is just my opinion but I think that you have too much boot for the hills that you will be walking in. I have a pair of Meindl boots and the Hanwags if I get into serious walking. Both have Lathrop inserts in them.

Good luck on your hunt!

17-May-16
I just remembered that I use Smartwool socks.

17-May-16
I have very flat feet and have tried a number of different after market inserts. By far the best that I have found are the gel inserts by Lathrop. No more blisters.

17-May-16
Just got the 20% coupon to REI. At first, I didn't think you could get a good boot at REI, but I looked on REI's page and here are some very strong options in no particular order:

https://www.rei.com/product/857259/zamberlan-960-guide-gt-rr-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/105340/lowa-tibet-gtx-hi-hiking-boots-mens

https://www.rei.com/product/892885/garmont-tower-trek-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

I would echo some advice above: (1) try on the boots; (2) look at an insole with added cushion; (3) look into a wool sock with padded areas (smartwool, Darn Tough, Kuiu, all make good socks).

Finally, if you haven't broken them in, just plan on having blisters and prepare accordingly. Look at https://www.compeed.co.uk/compeed-footcare/compeed-blister for some insurance. Compeed is about as breakthrough as you can get in the blister realm.

17-May-16
I have the Tibets and I really like them, but I have ankles that like to roll and the Tibets offer really good support. CNELK, Thanks for the video, great lacing techniques!

17-May-16
^^^^^^^

The boot in cnelk's video is the one I recommended trying on: Vasque Breeze.

17-May-16
cnelk, thanks for the video, I will give that a shot...

thanks for all the recommendations and opinions...

17-May-16
"Am I the only one who thinks the tibets are on the stiff heavy side? Esp for bow season."

Depends how you hunt and what you like. Weight hasn't been a problem and I've never noticed an increase in noise, which for how I hunt is a non issue anyway.

Chasin, you can special order almost any model if they carry one boot in the brand.

17-May-16
I'd go the uninsulated route. Living and hunting in Minnesota I never imagined getting anything without at least 400 grams of insulation. It was hard to convince myself to go uninsulated when I was shopping for elk hunting boots but, since I have, my feet have actually stayed warmer. I think they had always gotten sweaty without me realizing it and then they'd freeze.

My preference is for a stiff boot. I have Lowa Renegades and love them for the first half of the day but then my feet get real sore due to my constant battle with plantars fasciitis. My stiff Meindl Denalis have been great for my feet, along with some prescription insoles.

Good luck, the search for the perfect boot can be a tough one for some people.

18-May-16
I have Lowa Tibets (on my 3rd pair), Lowa Renegades and recently purchased a pair of Hanwag Alaska.

Over the past 10 years or so the Tibets have been my go-to boots. They are a little too stiff to be optimum hunting boots but most of my hunts are backpack hunts and often the terrain is rugged enough that I was happy to have the additional stiffness. I don't think I've ever lost an opportunity due to the Tibets being stiff.

A couple years ago I bought the Renegades and they are much softer and very comfortable to my foot. I only wear them on basecamp hunts where I don't plan to pack in with a heavy pack. Even then I'll alternate between the Renegades and the Tibets on different days.

I'm in the process of breaking in the Han Wag Alaska's. I have a low-volume wide foot with a very high arch and my left foot is at least a full size shorter than my right foot so boot fit can be a challenge. My Lowas and my Han Wags are all Wide width boots and the Han Wags run considerably narrower than the Lowas. I'm getting a little pinch/rub on the outside of both feet as I break them in and I've been experimenting with different lacing techniques (BTW cnelk, thanks for the video). The Han Wag Alaska's are similar to the Tibet's but they're narrower, seem to be a little lighter and not quite as stiff. The toe box is also shorter than the Tibet so they fit and flex a little differently. I've been experimenting with some different insoles and plan to buy some of the Lathrop footbeds. The jury is still out but I think the Alaska's are going to be a good boot.

20-May-16
I rarely wear insulated boots for elk hunting and never for archery or early rifle seasons (oct. snows).

I see a lot of people coming west for the first time and in foot wear, it's my opinion they either bring boots with no support (no shank) or too much (strap crampon compatible). There are exceptions like the guy who hunted all week in black Chuck Taylors (that dude could sneak).

Lowa Camino has become my go to: 5mm Nylon Heel/3mm Forefoot.

Unfortunately everyone's feet are different and even in brands of boots, lasts are shaped different; so it is a search. Change insoles, alter boot volume. But the shank in the boot will be what it is-

21-May-16
Get you a pair of the Crispi Idaho's over on Blackovis.com. You already know that Crispi works with your foot, and the Idaho is insanely light and breathable and no insulation, so if you need a little extra warmth you can adjust with the weight of your sock. Awesome boot! PM if you need more info.

21-May-16
Elkman, just curious if you are a Crispi pro staffer?

I wore a pair of Crispi Idaho boots. Good boots, but not nearly as durable as others I've worn. I did speak with the new Crispi rep and some of the issues I had apparently had been addressed. I went with Lowa instead.

21-May-16
JLS, I have had the Crispi Idaho's going on 3 years and hike in some rugged terrain starting in spring through November.

They are the best boot I have had.

21-May-16
soloman,

Not denying they are very comfortable.

Glad yours are holding up well. I wore mine very hard, no doubt, but felt they should have held up a little better.

21-May-16
Lowa Cevedale

21-May-16
No one gonna mention Kenetreks? Absolutely love my Mountain Extremes.

22-May-16
JLS- I am not. Crispi has other more traditional options that are all leather and trust me they are every bit as durable as any boot on the market, but like the others, they are far less breathable and heavy when compared to the Idaho...

22-May-16
I use 3 boots depending upon the weather and situation. None of my boots are insulated. I buy 1/2 size larger and add heavier socks if cold. My feet never have been cold while elk hunting and I hike Colorado and Wyo year-round.

My go-to boots are Lowa Tibets, Scarpa Kailach, and Lowa Renegades. Tibets are great for snow. They have more ankle support but with thick soles are nearly impossible to hike and stalk quietly. Scarpa Kailach are my favorite mid weight hikers that take a lot of use and abuse. I use them on a regular basis for sheep and mtn goat hunting. They are lighter than my Tibets and I don't need the additional ankle support. My go to when I want super light hikers are Lowa Renegades. They are super comfortable, light, and quiet for stalking.

Elk hunting is a game of covering miles and miles of country. My preference for super light are Renegades but if I'm hunting where it's a little steeper I may grab my Scarpas.

As mentioned above, socks and insoles are super important. I like additional padding in the bottom of my feet. Thorlos are one of my favorites. Smartwool are also nice. In regard to insoles. I tried several models of Superfeet and they weren't for me...way to hard of material. I like extra padding and use $18 Spencos that you can buy at Sportsmans. They are cheap and I walk gobs of miles year round so buy new ones on a fairly regular basis.

If you want super deals on boots take a look at Sierra Trading. If you use a coupon code you can get 20 to 30% off their already great prices. I've gotten a couple pairs of Lowas and Scarpas for around $100!

22-May-16
I see that Zamberlan has a boot that is fairly comparable to the Idaho. Never tried Zamberlan but I have heard good things about them.

22-May-16
If you want to try Zamberlans I just checked Sierra Trading and there are several to choose from for around $100. You can usually find a 20 to 30% off the price they have on their website with a coupon code. I tried Zamberlans a few years ago and like Scarpas a lot better (for my feet anyway).

12-Jun-16

Pyrannah's embedded Photo
Pyrannah's embedded Photo
thanks for the help!!!

so far so good... love the heel lock in these boots...

only aboit 10 miles on em so far so need some more time yet...

12-Jun-16
Ben What boots are you wearing in the pic? I just got a pair of salomon quest gtx from rei. Insoles sucked so got replacements for them. So far so good.

I have 3 sets of lowa tibet I love. I set of gtx high and 2 sets of standard gtx. I am at 2 years on my first set of tibets. I wear them for work and hunting in the mountains for spring turkey. Still feel great on my feet and don't leak. Time will tell on the salomon boots but I got 2 sets of tibets on the shelf waiting for the first set to die.

12-Jun-16
Ben What boots are you wearing in the pic? I just got a pair of salomon quest gtx from rei. Insoles sucked so got replacements for them. So far so good.

I have 3 sets of lowa tibet I love. I set of gtx high and 2 sets of standard gtx. I am at 2 years on my first set of tibets. I wear them for work and hunting in the mountains for spring turkey. Still feel great on my feet and don't leak. Time will tell on the salomon boots but I got 2 sets of tibets on the shelf waiting for the first set to die.

• Sitka Gear