ElkNut1 16-May-16
wyobullshooter 16-May-16
Glunt@work 16-May-16
wyobullshooter 16-May-16
coelker 16-May-16
ElkNut1 16-May-16
trophyhilll 22-May-16
16-May-16
In the thread about how to learn to bugle, it was brought up that the Thunder Bugle and the Power Bugle were good, and easy to use. My question is, if a lot of guys are using the same bugle, will elk get conditioned to them? Or does everyone sound different even with the same bugle?

16-May-16
In my opinion Yes

that is why you see the pro's use a mouth reed, or change cow calls every year. If they didn't become conditioned we would all still be using the little plastic one with rubber bands cause it was easy and mostly hands free.

Or

Is it just Primos being good at marketing?

oz

16-May-16
It doesnt matter if bugling or cow calling. Its all about cadence.

Got to have emotion in your calling.

16-May-16
Yes, all 3 have very distinct tones that are easily recognizable by most hunters. Sure elk can get conditioned to specific sounds by hunters but if you're hunting away from most the hoards of hunters you will have little issues getting responses with them. Get away from most the pressure & have fun! This doesn't mean you have to go miles, it means hunt where few go!

ElkNut1

16-May-16
Agree with cnelk's comments 110%! Cadence, inflection, and emotion are what separates the guys that consistently call in elk from those that don't.

16-May-16
There are two parts to "calling" any critter. Part one is actually making the sounds and part two is where and when to make them.

A great caller/hunter could go forth with about any decent, popular bugle and a Hooch Mamma and be successful if that was the only option.

I suppose elk can be conditioned, but take a 4 year old bull as an example.

He's been through 4 seasons about a month long each. How many times has he actually been in a situation where he was able to connect human bugling to danger? I would guess maybe once or twice a season? What are the odds those 4-8 encounters were guys using the same calls and if they were, what are the odds they actually sounded the same?

16-May-16
Duh, forgot to answer the other part of your question before I hit "Submit".

By using varying cadence, inflection, and emotion into your calling, I don't think any elk is going to remember any call from year to year. That said, if an elk has had a near death experience with a hunter, and was able to associate that bad experience with calling, then that elk will most likely be timid about committing to any calling. Also, if a hunter is calling without cadence, inflection, and emotion, if WE can identify a phoney, you can bet your bottom dollar an elk can do the same.

16-May-16
I know on the Power Bugle that my wife and I sound very different. Maybe a relative tone, but when I bugle vs. her we sound like 2 totally different animals. On the cow calls we sound pretty similar, but I would hardly doubt it made much a difference.

For fun one morning on a December cow hunt, I used one of those elk whistle straws out of my dads big soda mug, With it I called in 2 6 points bulls from over 800 yards out to with in 40 yards of the truck. Calling is important, but knowing when to call, when not to call, when to be aggressive, when to meek, are all far more important than the call itself.

16-May-16
coelker -- "Calling is important, but knowing when to call, when not to call, when to be aggressive, when to meek, are all far more important than the call itself."

That's a very true evaluation there!

As far as elk knowing various hunters bugles from year to year, that would be a pretty far reach, hunters are pretty safe from that concern! Understanding elk sounds is a key to upping ones success, this is why so many elk hunters use calls even if they don't want to give them much credit!

ElkNut1

22-May-16
Make the right sound at the right time and you will condition that elk to commit suicide by arrow regardless of brand name bugle. ;)

• Sitka Gear