Jaquomo 19-May-16
ElkNut1 19-May-16
Jaquomo 19-May-16
cnelk 20-May-16
Jaquomo 20-May-16
ElkNut1 20-May-16
Barty1970 20-May-16
16-May-16
If there is good habitat but its lower elevation will some elk use there wintering areas all year? Will some stay behind and utilize these areas during the summer and fall if there is good cover, food, and water?

Does anyone hunt a known wintering area during archery and have success?

16-May-16
Yep, here in NoCo we have big herds of elk that occupy the same territory 12 months of the year. No reason for them to leave.

That whole "heat" thing is a myth. They were originally plains and flatland animals from coast to coast. Tennessee elk didn't migrate to timberline in CO when summer heat came.

My biggest bull was killed on "winter range" in early September on a day when temps hit the high 80's.

16-May-16
Not me.

It might happen in SW US, or Tule elk, but not anywhere I hunt. They are high when they can be, low when they must be.

Now keep in mind, elk can and do move/live lower, but this may be due to pressure, security, etc.

When our forefathers roamed the land, elk were a plains animal. They inhabit the high country today, even though elk in the 1800's probably utilized the mountains as "marginal habitat".

I guess what I am saying is an elk can be anywhere between the plains and a mountain top!

16-May-16
If you count missing easy shots success, then yes I have! One area I hunt occasionally is a wintering area, it has resident elk in portions that have cover, they do seem to move more, possibly because there is so much access and they get bumped more and also the areas with cover tend to be smaller in size allowing for the elk to be found easier thus bumped! There is a chance to find elk in virtually every county in Colorado from 4k feet out on the plains to 14K feet in the mountains, some places it's just easier than others due to herd density and land access. Hunting a wintering area is far from my first choice, but it it's a draw unit, it's not my last choice either.

16-May-16
Looks like Jaquomo and I were typing at the same time.

16-May-16

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
It's not that they use "wintering" areas all year. Some just don't go very far seasonally. We see them all year where we live in the northern front range of Colorado. These guys were near our house at the end of May a couple of years ago.

16-May-16
It can vary drastically by the area. The elk in the Missouri Breaks in Montana don't migrate away from the heat. But, the elk in the Madison Valley don't stay on the valley floor for the most part. Then again, there's a resident herd of elk that hangs out in the hay pivots just outside of Dillon, Montana.

16-May-16
Phantom delayed double post

17-May-16
Yes! In some of our winter range the daytime temps get up over 100. As long as they have water close by, they don't seem inclined to move. Some do for sure, but lots don't at all.

18-May-16
Yes,there are cows that stay year round on the ranch where I work.

18-May-16
I talked to a local last year and he said some elk actually stay on the mountain in the winter, he said they find shelter in the drainages I was thinking the snow would be to deep.

18-May-16

spookinelk's embedded Photo
spookinelk's embedded Photo
Where I live in South Central Colorado (San Luis Valley) We have several large resident herds that live on the valley floor year round. Last time I heard there were 6000+ of these non-migratory elk.

19-May-16
Good question. It can change a little depending on the exact weather, or the severity of the winter overall.

But in my experience there are areas with resident elk that are also staging areas that other elk move through on their way to wintering grounds. Wintering grounds being the lower areas where the majority of cows, calves and smaller bulls spend the winter.

But a pretty good number of bigger bulls camp out in that last staging area where the rest kept on going a bit further. They are in bachelor herds of branch antlered bulls. They'll make adjustments moving up and down a ridge as the daily or weekly snows and melt offs occur. Basically they are living on the fringe. There may also be moose wintering in those same kind of areas where they eat anything that's sticking up out of the snow. Incidentally those areas are usually also a good place to find sheds come spring. The larger wintering grounds wouldn't be my first choice for that.

That spot can be great hunting all season long because there will always be cows that don't go beyond there when they leave the wintering grounds and where there are cows there are bulls.

Like any answer to an elk question this is all based on one area I know and things might be different elsewhere. I have always wondered if there are some monster bulls doing something similar not far from the National Elk Refuge in Jackson.

19-May-16
No doubt elk wintering grounds will hold resident elk, but you must appreciate that the locals are very aware of it. They are the ones & their families that will generally take advantage of that area. I do not hunt those areas mainly because of the wide openness & few elk that hang there.

I prefer where the elk migrate to come Summer as this is where the majority will spend Summers & Falls. Too, hunting elk where they hit the timber, burns & few meadows here & there is awesome country that many of the bulls will seek with their own personal harems. These are the bulls we hunt & absolutely love the country they inhabit. We love hunting OTC units that few hunters will enter! We have a very high success rate in these areas so stay with it, don't fix something that isn't broke! (grin)

ElkNut1

19-May-16

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
+1 Mule Power. Know that the bulls seek out the cows when the rut gets going, and often the cows are calving and summering lower than the bulls, closer to "winter range" in many areas. In some of the areas I hunt, the bulls summer much higher, then drop down thousands of feet to find the herds of cows and calves.

After that, the herds go where the matriarch lead cows take them. Sometimes they stay put and sometimes they'll move higher (or lower) to get away from human pressure.

Also, don't get sucked into the myth that winter range/low country is "wide open". This photo is classic CO elk winter range, and it is some of the best elk hunting in the state. The elk live here year-round, calve here, have no reason to move higher.

19-May-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Yes, elk country whether winter or fall can differ no doubt. In the photo above that would be considered open country here in west central ID. Most elk will venture into areas much like in this photo below. This is why calling is so important to locate elk. Without it you would be pretty much screwed, no kidding.

As elk head to breeding grounds not much differs there, they visit the same breeding areas every year, locate them & you can up your odds considerably into getting on elk after Sept. 10th. Just don't get too hung up on calving areas always being the same as breeding areas as they too can be in different areas. The reason is many areas elk calve in are below snow levels at calving time & breeding areas will be higher up as snows recede.

As you can see in above photo elk can calve in different areas so do ones homework to become familiar with what areas attract elk where you intend to hunt. Here in ID the country will look more like this!

ElkNut1

19-May-16
Willow paw, might be good to know where you're thinking of hunting. What holds true in some places is not true in others.

The simple answers to your original questions are "yes, yes, and yes". And we've killed truly BIG bulls without calling in those areas.

20-May-16
Elknut

You should check the settings on your camera as the GPS coordinates are hidden in the properties of your pic

20-May-16
Cnelk - shhh... I always pull the metadata from "elk country" and hero shot photos people post. Didn't know others knew how to do it... Amazing what you can learn from those who don't block certain layers.

20-May-16
cnelk, thanks. No problem though, with 6300 hunters in this zone every year a couple more won't make much difference. (grin)

When referring to calling in the thicker country, it's to locate them, otherwise it's pretty tough to find them within a reasonable amount of time especially when many hunters can only hunt 5-10 days a year. It's best to utilize all options especially with limited time frames. If a hunter can hunt the entire month of Sept then yes you can be more open to pattering elk & create an ambush that can finally work into ones favor, most hunters are not allowed that luxury.

ElkNut1

20-May-16
Dang but that's some serious ninja type abilities cnelk and Jaq...I had to check that out..and lo and behold...

Suffice to say I have eaten the coordinates and have no recollection of that event, even if that event were to have occurred.

• Sitka Gear