Moultrie Mobile
Hiking boot for 0 degrees
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
DonVathome 20-May-16
Dutchd 20-May-16
jims 20-May-16
20-May-16
What do you like for hiking in cold snow? 400 grams? Not so much the boot - how much insulation? Obviously I will stop occasionally to glass/hunt/stalk.

I wear good quality moisture wicking socks and I do not tend to have a problem with my feet sweating.

20-May-16
It will vary with each individual. A 400 Gram is the most I wear if moving a lot. I tend to wear uninsulated the majority of the time. Sub zero 400 gram for sure. I have never had frostbite.

20-May-16
I don't own a pair of insulated boots for elk hunting. I'm sure some of the late season elk hunts in Wyo have been below zero wind chill and my feet are seldom cold. Elk hunting isn't like whitetail hunting where you're sitting in a blind for hours. I spend most of the time hiking. I usually buy boots a 1/2 size larger so I can add a little heavier socks if necessary. I also use boots similar to uninsoluated Lowa Tibets that are a little heavier than light hikers and hold in heat a little better (especially if there is snow on the ground). I hike in Colo year-round without insulated boots. If I'm going to sit around for hours in one spot and it's super cold I may grab a pair of sorels with a pair of thick socks.

• Sitka Gear