MarkU 02-Jun-16
orionsbrother 02-Jun-16
Alphamax35 02-Jun-16
Lv2hnt 02-Jun-16
Big Fin 02-Jun-16
IdyllwildArcher 02-Jun-16
31-May-16

Big Fin's Link
Now that most the limited entry elk tag drawings have passed (only Idaho remains), I read where many guys are not going elk hunting this year. We did a video that talks about other options for those who did not draw a limited entry tag. You can watch that video at the link above.

Colorado, Montana, and Idaho are your best bets. We talk about those three states in this video, along with landowner voucher options for those willing to pay the cost. I hunt CO and MT every year. When I do OTC rifle hunts, I prefer CO. When I am wanting an archery hunt, I prefer MT.

At the 2:54 mark I explain why I think the best OTC/Left-over archery elk tag in the west is the Montana general elk tag. The older bulls that are in low country and off limits during rifle season are up in the higher ground during much of September, making them available to archers. That, along with very long seasons, lots of public land where elk numbers are high, and some good age class make MT hard to beat as a left-over archery elk tag.

Right now, there are over 1,000 MT elk tags still available. Even more ID tags. And if you hunt the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons in CO, there is no tag cap on those units.

My point in posting this is not directed at those who are schooled up on these western states as a result of being a resident of CO/MT/ID, or those who have been playing the limited-entry application game for decades. Rather, I hope to give encouragement for those who might not be aware that they can hunt elk every year. Whether you hunt with a bow or a rifle, there are elk tags still available for you. And some hunts/places will have a quality of elk that will impress you.

Good luck to all of you.

31-May-16
Great info as always Randy. Thanks for your continued effort and passion in supporting this pastime so many of us absolutely LOVE! I agree, there's no reason not to hunt elk every year, even if you don't draw a limited entry tag. Way to many otc/general tag options to pass up that will offer you a quality hunt. Preach on Randy...

31-May-16
If anyone hasn't yet heard/seen it, take the time to listen to/watch the Gritty Bowmen podcast with Randy Newberg...if there is a better-reasoned, more cogent argument than that which Randy puts forward so eloquently and sincerely for public lands remaining public, I have yet to hear it...and I'm a bowhunter living in Britain!!

I take the view that my membership of the BHA is an investment to ensure that when my chance comes to hunt with my bow in the US, there will be public land for me to hunt on

31-May-16
Yes after getting hosed in Arizona we will be trying Montana leftovers for archery elk this season. Have drawn no tag for 3rd straight year despite 20 points in most states. This included many hunts where I had a 50% chance. AZ elk tag would have been 95%. Epic streak of bad luck. Only positive was health issues would have prevented me from hunting last two seasons. But not this year. Pacer has my heart pumping right again and I'm working out daily to return to form. Researching MT now. Heck last time I was there the block management info was only available in paper versions. Hopefully that has changed by now?!

31-May-16
Agreed Lung$hot! Get out & hunt!!! Don't concern ones self with the politics of elk hunting. There's plenty of public land available in many elk hunting states to whet ones appetite! (grin) Get out there & have fun there are only so many Sept in ones life!

ElkNut1

01-Jun-16
Big Fin, I wanted to thank you for you contributions and continued efforts to maintain access for the DIY hunters. Every time I get to roam public lands with a Bow or rifle in hand, I truly grateful for this uniquely American privilege. As an RMEF member since 1994 I feel better that with your involvement, access will always be a consideration. I'm down with protecting habitat, I understand the needs of quality winter range and limiting development in prime calf/berthing grounds. I do get frustrated however, that many well-meaning organizations want to change designations to wilderness areas or WMAs where a non-resident is greatly restricted. I am careful who I give my money to in this regard. Thanks to all of you that do this heavy lifting! LaGriz

01-Jun-16
+2 LaGriz- NO ONE carries more water for the public land hunter than Randy. When Randy talks, I listen!

And yes, I struck out in the draws this year and I am making plans to hunt one of the states you mentioned. (For the first time!)

Keep up the good fight Randy!

01-Jun-16
Randy - I always enjoy your informative and articulate posts regarding issues that impact hunters. Your attention to detail on legislation is especially appreciated.

But I think you should address some of the downside of this issue.

It's probably a long drive. It can be cold at night. There's a lot of walking. They could get poked by a stick.

Their partner probably snores. And smells bad after a few days of Mountain House and Alpine Aire. And hums in an annoying fashion when breaking down an animal.

And if they're successful, meat is heavy. They'll probably get tired.

And still, they won't want to leave. When they get home, they'll keep thinking about everything. They'll think about going back all the time.

So, before you continue promoting the dissatisfaction of people's lives and negatively impacting the economy of this nation by distracting its labor force, you might consider the big picture and endorse golf.

Maybe support some live hunts from Connecticut.

;>D

02-Jun-16
Dang, orionsbrother, I had hoped nobody would call me out on the problems related to these elk hunting opportunities. Your observations are correct. I am aware of the negative impact these elk hunting distractions can have to the labor force and marital relationships across America.

In consideration of the damage our promotion of these opportunities may have, we are filming a 12-step recovery program for those among us dealing with issues related to bugling elk. It starts something like this...

First episode, you must acknowledge you have a preoccupation with elk hunting. On a paper, write down the last time you dreamed of bugling elk. No need to reference the date, just the time, as we know it was sometime today.

Second episode, you must tell your spouse of this condition and be completely honest as to the degree of affliction. He/she will be instructed to exempt you from certain duties that will bring forth symptoms of this condition. Examples being; mowing the lawn, shopping, walking the dog, or most anything other than fletching arrows, practicing your bugling, and refining your shooting form. Under no condition should golf or tennis be used as therapy; the known side-effects result in vulgar language.

Third episode, you must notify your employer of this condition. We are asking Congress to model legislation similar to the Family Leave Act, whereby all elk hunters afflicted with this condition will be excused from employment for the month of September and will be allowed to return to their previous position at full pay/benefits in early October. Additionally, merit raises are to be granted for any employee who fills an elk tag during their period of leave. Given this is a medical condition, we are also asking Congress to consider treatments for this condition to qualify as deductible medical expenses, such as bows, arrows, tag, licenses, taxidermy, game processing, etc.

Fourth episode, how to inform your children that they have the misfortune of a genetic predisposition whereby once they reach hunting age, they might drive down the highway for eighty miles and not remember a single mile marker, yet they will have listened to three audio books on elk calling strategies while pointing to passengers the ridges above where they have found elk rubs in the past two years. Best to notify them as teens, as this will be a very important condition with impacts to future relationships.

Fifth episode, to inform all affected parties that moving a further distance from the source of this ailment only serves to worsen the condition. Spouses at times are under the misguided, though well-intended, understanding that taking the elk hunter further from the elk will lessen the symptoms. Clinical tests have scientifically shown that moving further from elk will have the opposite effect.

Sixth episode, how to explain to your physician that this is one of those "soft tissue" ailments that is hard to diagnose. Suppression of your dreams of bugling elk with the expectation for you to not practice your diaphragm call while driving to work results in a form of cognitive dissonance that can bring with it many other problems, both physical and emotional problems.

Seventh through twelfth episodes are being scripted in the coming weeks.

02-Jun-16
I forgot to mention one upshot.

If you have kids, you get to bask in your wife's loving gaze while you and the kids mimic an elk herd with various cow calls, diaphragm calls and a bugle. For an hour or so.

My wife gets so emotional when I'm demonstrating my abilities to engage and bond with our kids, encouraging their creativity, triggering their imaginations, banging elk sheds on the wall accidentally...well, sometimes she has to lie down on the bed and pull a pillow over her head.

So, elk hunting isn't all pine needles in your boxers. Your wife will give you "the look" more frequently. You know, with the squinty eyes, kind of like Clint Eastwood?

I'm tellin' ya...I'm pretty sure she's undressing me with her eyes at that point.

02-Jun-16
Big Fin and Orionsbro, you guy's are good. Can I have permission to cut and paste your comments, I need to submit them to my attorney, employer, family, etc etc?

Thx Bill

02-Jun-16
And I'd like to use them in my supporting statement to the US Embassy when applying for my visa to get myself over the water and in to elk country...

02-Jun-16
Not sure about episode 5. I moved to Idaho from Fargo in 1978 mainly to hunt elk more. Went from two weeks a year to five or six. Getting here made things worse, just not for me.

Might as well add psychiatrist to #6.

OB, what really will bring tears to your wife is pine needles in the foreskin.

02-Jun-16
Bill in MI - You feel free to utilize my comments for whatever purposes you like.

I would highly recommend ; Bad Example.

And no matter what, remember, as an old guy told me once..."If you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance."

Sorry for knocking your thread off on a tangent Randy.

Go watch some of Randy's videos, guys. There's a good one where they decide to spike out without a tent or tarp or bags or food. They sleep with pine boughs piled on top of each other and I'm thinking that there was some consideration of "hamster pile" or maybe even "spooning."

02-Jun-16
Randy, I have archery elk hunted in Colorado many times and know the cost of the license. What are the costs of licenses for Montana and Idaho?

02-Jun-16
Randy, much as I despise presidential edicts, I'd make an exception if we could get our next White House resident to look closely into Episode 3. Just sayin' ...

02-Jun-16
Alphamax:

Idaho non-resident fees are...

Hunting License - $154.75 Elk Tag - $416.75 If you want to add a deer tag, that is $301.75

Montana elk fees are....

Elk Combo Tag - $846 (includes all fees, plus fishing, upland bird, and your elk tag) You can add a deer tag to that by paying $150 more.

Good luck.

02-Jun-16
You guys are on to something. Maybe guys should try telling their boss that they "have a disability" (elk addiction). If their boss looks incredulous, just ask them, "Do you have something against people with disabilities?"

• Sitka Gear