ScottTigert 08-Jul-16
Matt 08-Jul-16
BIGHORN 09-Jul-16
mgmicky 09-Jul-16
Well-Strung 11-Jul-16
01-Jun-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
I was out to Elk Camp yesterday for the first time & found a knife hidden under short grasses, it got me to thinking what's everyone's favorite Elk Knife? If you have a photo of it that would be awesome to see as well as others seeing what most here rely on for breaking down their elk!

Here's my favorite, it's made by Norm Larson from WY I believe, this is a Sweet knife & handles like an extension of my hand!

ElkNut1

01-Jun-16

Here's the one I found at camp yesterday evening! Anyone need a knife! (grin)

ElkNut1

01-Jun-16

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo
Just to throw a curve ball into the mix, my won't leave camp without it knife is a cheap snap off razor knife. Works great for cutting through the hide. Whenever it gets dull, I just snap off to another section. I have a Buck boning knife I use for taking off the quarters but having the snap off knife keeps me from dulling it up on the hair and hide. I've even done a whole elk with one once cause I left my other knife at camp. The other good part is if I drop it in the grass like Elknut's photo, I haven't lost much.

01-Jun-16
That's a sweet knife Elknut. Does he still make em? I have been using the Havalon. Very light but the blades are breakable.

01-Jun-16

longbowbud's embedded Photo
One I made out of elk , for elk.

01-Jun-16

01-Jun-16
Very nice Bud! That's talent right there!

01-Jun-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Cutco - proven and tested for years

01-Jun-16
Nice, Bud! I think you should send one of those to me so I can get a real good look.

I agree with Buyse. You've got talent.

01-Jun-16

Two more, love elk antler

01-Jun-16

01-Jun-16
I like your blade shapes. I think I see a trend there !

01-Jun-16
first is a drop point, last one a spear point, the middle one is a combo of the two i made for my daughter. i like it best, kinda wish i had it back lol.

01-Jun-16

idacurt's embedded Photo
idacurt's embedded Photo
This is a knife I made.

01-Jun-16
Beautiful idacurt!

02-Jun-16
VERY nice idacurt!

02-Jun-16
Nice knives fellas.

02-Jun-16

Phil/VA's embedded Photo
Phil/VA's embedded Photo
My favorite.

02-Jun-16
Wow! Nice looking knives guys!

Have they ever touched an elk? Not sure if I would want to use them!

02-Jun-16
Yes sir, those are some beautiful looking knives there, several of you are real artists, very cool! How does a guy get that Damascus look on the blade? Very nice!

Longbowbud, you certainly have talent, love your knives!

Buyse, I picked up two of Norm's knives a couple years ago, I would assume he still makes & sells them. It's the finest knife I've broken down an elk with, I too have used a Havolon but don't care for the flimsy action, when I'm breaking down an elk I get to business as quick as I can, I'm no surgeon out there! (grin)

ElkNut1

02-Jun-16
Paul I think they use old files for the blades. My cousin made me one out of an old file and an elk shed I found. it looks like that.

Ive never been able to post pictures here, can't figure it out. Otherwise I'd post it up. Its so nice I'm afraid to use it.

02-Jun-16
The one I posted is Damascus.

02-Jun-16
Man I hate these threads. They usually end up costing me money. Beautiful knives. Now I just need to justify why I need another. HA!

02-Jun-16
patdel, thank you! They look cool!

Buyse, LOL! But you have "Buy" as part of your handle! (grin)

ElkNut1

02-Jun-16
Good point Elknut. Cursed with my last name Ha! Although it was beneficial with your play book and bugle. :)

02-Jun-16

JLS's embedded Photo
JLS's embedded Photo

02-Jun-16
Here's one from last fall. In honor of my recently passed Father In Law, I used the Buck that he used to pack.

photo 20151108_072433_zpshl2e4vrj.jpg

02-Jun-16
Buyse, OK you got me there! (grin)

ElkNut1

02-Jun-16

HockeyDad's embedded Photo
HockeyDad's embedded Photo
This old 1978 Gerber has been with me on many a hunts, used it on Caribou, Elk, Bear, Deer, antelope and plenty of small game/furbearers. Easy to sharpen and holds an edge. One year It quartered 3 elk w/o sharpening - Needed some assistance on the 3rd one, but still managed to make it through.

I love the look of those Damascus knives, works of art for sure.

02-Jun-16
There are some beautiful looking knives on here. Thanks for posting.

08-Jul-16
Awesome, any more?

08-Jul-16
HockeyDad, I have that same knife and love it. My high school girlfirend bought it for me in 1980 at JC Penny after I had admired it one day. Used it for a bunch of deer. She passed away in a car accident in 1985 and the following year, in 86 I lost the knife after cleaning a buck. Laid it in the grass and forgot all about it. Looked for it for hours the next day and never found it. That following summer I pulled my bed matt out of my truck and found it underneath. I believe it was Divine Intervention and she brought it back to me. Very emotional moment seeing that knife laying there. It is now retired.

08-Jul-16

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
MathewsMan's embedded Photo

08-Jul-16
Scott, is that blade obsidian or kryptonite ? :-)

08-Jul-16

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
I made this one a couple months ago and put scales on it from a bull my dad killed in the late 80's. Hopefully one day it will get used on an elk.

08-Jul-16

cjgregory's embedded Photo

08-Jul-16

I use a hatchet instead of a Wyoming saw. I make it razor sharp and can skin with it if needed. But its for the heavy work. scull cap and antlers come of quick.

08-Jul-16

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo

08-Jul-16

buglemaster's embedded Photo
buglemaster's embedded Photo
Love my Gerber gator, but like the looks of my home made Helle.

08-Jul-16

ScottTigert's embedded Photo
ScottTigert's embedded Photo
I couldn't decide which one was my favorite. But, I am a fan of the drop point and bone handle. So, I chose my five favorite knives. Scott

08-Jul-16
If you can imagine a picture of an orange-handled Havalon Piranta, that would be it. I've never thought to take a picture of my knife on an elk (or my dinner) and post it on the internet.

09-Jul-16
Kurare,

The blade is ATS-34 SS with a 4 degree edge and Diamond wood handle which is made for his hand. I have one like it but a different color and two others with a different style blade, handle and color. His name is engraved into the blade with lifetime free sharpening. It will skin and gut at least 4 elk before it has to be re-sharpened. The only bad thing about the knife is that it is so sharp that you can cut yourself and never know it.

09-Jul-16

mgmicky's embedded Photo
mgmicky's embedded Photo
My first elk trip isn't until next year, but I'm gearing up now!

11-Jul-16

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo
A old custom Darby, a handmade Barminski the big one.. a spider co with elephant sheath and a old Cabela's bone handle. The Barminski is big but it's my go to for elk. I'm a big guy with big hands cutting up big animals and ats34 is light and sharp.

• Sitka Gear