jims 10-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
dave kaden 10-Jun-16
bcb10 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
AZ~Rich 10-Jun-16
01-Jun-16
My group of 4 got drawn for a Colorado LE Archery tag in a unit that does not take very many points to draw. One member of our group is a local resident and has had good success in the area and is confident on putting us on elk. We will be packing in a small spike camp approx 2.5-3.0 miles. Being a LE unit with a limited amount of hunters and us packing in a couple of miles and you could only hunt one week which week do you think would give us the best chance for success(bull preferred, but not trophy hunting)and would give us the most bugling action?

01-Jun-16
From the 12th of Sept on you should start to get into some very good action, bulls can certainly bugle before that time but your odds increase after the 12th! If you need to arouse a few bulls bugle at night while at your camp to get their location if they're not already bugling on their own. If you bugle to locate stop bugling once they respond back. Good luck to your group!

ElkNut1

01-Jun-16
I like the 13th on, but are you going from a saturday to a sunday?

That means you're looking at the 10th - 18th, or the 17th to the 25th. Tough call because the quality of your hunt could go either way in either of those weeks.

I prefer to have a little longer because your chances of getting into good action, finding elk, and finding out what's going on on the ground are better. Sometimes the bugling is far better on the 14th than it is on the 24th, etc, and visa versa.

01-Jun-16
Tough call on what week will give you the best of both worlds - bugling and success.

Depends on what you want more of. Hearing bugles or putting an elk in the dirt.

I know what week I would go. The week prior to ML season. That ML week will up the number of hunters.

I would look at last years stats and see how many ML they issue for that LE unit. Might help in your decision

01-Jun-16
If your buddy knows it go the week he suggests. I am glad I can hunt every week if needed. Activity varies week to week, year to year where I normally hunt.

01-Jun-16
We will most likely go from a Friday after work to Sunday coming from Missouri. I would love to spend a few more days out there, but one of the other guys is limited to one week of vacation. I've hunted over the counter 1st week a handful of times with another group(killed one cow) with several close opportunities on bulls and cows. However, I can count the number of bugles that I have heard on one hand. So I would prefer a better chance of getting to work some bugling bulls. But in the end we will probably take kadbow's advice and go whenever our buddy suggests.

Thanks for your responses.

01-Jun-16
If it's bugling you seek go 3rd week.

01-Jun-16
You're going to get a million different opinions on this. You'll find elk all season long, and they'll be more ramped up different times of the season depending on things you can't predict right now. I would go by what works best with you schedule and adapt as you go. Keep in mind muzzleloader season is the 10 - 18th this year. We have the 17th-25th (last day of season) on the slate for this year. But that's my charity work for the year taking my buddies. I'll be going out the first week...or two :) as well.

01-Jun-16

01-Jun-16
Over the last 3 years, I've hunted elk in 3 states and 5 different units beginning from between the 5th and the 8th to somewhere between the 24th and 28th. In all 3 of the past years, we've heard the most bugling between the 14th and the 18th each year and had far less bugling after the 20th.

Prior to those 3 years, I've heard more bugling earlier and later.

Predicting elk activity/bugling is a crap shoot. It changes year to year, with the hot cows, with the weather, etc.

The best bet is to extend your hunting season as long as you can, which will increase your odds of better hunting and more chances. If you can't, the general consensus is that they bugle more a little later in the month, but that can be completely flip-flopped.

01-Jun-16
Agree 100% with DIY and Idyll. Limiting yourself to one week isn't going to help your cause, and as cnelk brought up, ML season complicates things even further. Although the third week is generally more prone to bugling activity, its certainly not a given. I've experienced years where the best week was the first, and I've seen it where the last week was the best. Heck, there have even been years when they didn't talk good the entire month, yet rifle hunters were amazed how much bugling they heard in mid-October. Point is, the more time you give yourself, the greater your chance for success. Regardless, be prepared just in case they aren't talking and adjust your tactics accordingly.

02-Jun-16
Im going the week of the 16 to the 25. what kind of action should i be expecting as in rutting activity?

02-Jun-16
"Im going the week of the 16 to the 25. what kind of action should i be expecting as in rutting activity?"

Did you read anything that was posted? You'll have your answer on the 26th.

02-Jun-16
What week is the best?

I have learned that lesson. I will not limit myself to a week.

My plan this year is start traveling on the 9th and be home on the 26th.

In 2013 I hunted what should have been peak (23rd-early Oct), and I can count the number of bugles on my fingers. Other years things were just heating up as I approached those dates.

Previous years activity is only a guide, not a rule.

Full moon, no moon, wolves, fires, heat, rain, clouds, sun or magnetic pull, etc. No matter, I will be in elk country with my bow.

02-Jun-16
Don't forget about the fact that we have a very unfortunate full moon phase this September when planning time frames to hunt...

02-Jun-16
Elkman,

If you don't mind, what are your favorite and least favorite moon phases to hunt. I have had a lot of discussion with friends about this and there seems to be many opinions. I personally favor the darker periods, but I know some who think times around the full moon crank them up.

02-Jun-16
I hunt a similar low-point LE unit in CO. Unless you're hunting private land, the elk move with pressure, and also with different phases of the rut. Where they are the first week may not be where elk are the third week, and vice versa. That's why I bounce from spot to spot in a 400 square mile area until I find elk, then hunt them. I have two spike camps, and otherwise hunt from a mobile base.

Which week(s) did your local buddy hunt them, and was he successful? Packing in a couple miles really limits your mobility. If someone else has been in there, or will be in there, your hunt could be a bust.

This will be my third year of essentially spending the whole season in the elk woods in this unit, and from my notes I've started to dial-in on where they are each week in each different area, and how they behave.

As far as the moon, that's the least important variable, IMO. Hunter pressure is #1. Weather is #2. Everything else is #3. The old time cowboys always said the best bugling is on the wane of the full moon in September. I've not found that to necessarily be true. A lot of old time cowboys didn't know squat about elk.

02-Jun-16
I have posted this before, it shows some data for moon phases when we have taken elk.

Since you asked... I went thru this little exercise a few months ago with another guy who ran my numbers.

Me and my buddies have taken 22 elk [archery] in the past 10 years [2003 -2013]

16 harvests were in a moon phase of 50% visibility OR LESS [some were new moon, 1st quarter, etc] 6 harvests were in a moon phase of 90% visibility OR MORE [very near or at full moon]and quick research shows 3-4 days on either side of the full moon date have > 90% or more. Shall we say 7 days are 90% or more visibility? And approx 14 days have < 50%

Category Observed Expected # Expected

1 <50% 16 11 50.000%

2 >90% 6 6 27.273%

3 50-90% 0 5 22.727%

Chi squared equals 7.273 with 2 degrees of freedom. The two-tailed P value equals 0.0263

According to the analysis we did better than expected when the moon was dark, about what you would expect near a full moon, and less than you'd expect (zero) when the moon was out but not bright. It shows some evidence that it's better hunting during darker moon, but I wouldn't schedule a hunt around it.

But it won't take long before they change their movements, more so due to pressure than the moon.

IMO - pressure makes a bigger impact, and heat is also a big factor

03-Jun-16
Congrats on the tag. I would recommend hunting the 11th through the 17 for your best chance to hit peak rut in Colorado. Averaging the date of harvest (since 2007) for the last 500+ P&Y bulls from Colorado says September 14th is your best bet. Though the peak of the rut obviously varies with September weather conditions from year to year, the 14th will give you a some leeway if abnormal conditions factor in this year. It's worth noting that the average date of harvest has been pushed back a few days in recent years. Also, there doesn't seem to be a correlation between moon phase and average harvest date in Colorado so I wouldn't consider this season's September 16 full moon as you plan your hunt dates. Here are the average P&Y harvest dates for each year in Colorado.

2007: 9/12

2008: 9/15

2009: 9/13

2010: 9/14

2011: 9/11

2012: 9/9

2013: 9/16

2014: 9/21

Good luck on your hunt.

Chasin

08-Jun-16
I'm hunting 1 Sept-14 Sept in northern NM. That's the dates the DNR gave me so I will make the best of it.

08-Jun-16
Thanks for all of the responses. Our hunting partner actually will have 6 days of vacation to use. So we picked up another day to hunt. Right now we are leaning towards leaving after work on Friday 9/9. Hopefully this will give us time to get there and pack in on Saturday and start hunting Sunday 9/11. Then we would leave out on Sunday 9/18 to return home on Monday.

08-Jun-16
Gas is cheaper now than in the past. I say forget the carpool, take your wife's car and hunt the 10-24. ;)

08-Jun-16
CNELK. I love the statistical analysis. I would love to see similar work done with a larger sample size.

This would take all of the conjecture and mental bias out of it.

08-Jun-16
Opinions are like belly-buttons...we all have one. My theory is to always plan the hunt so that I am there on September 21st. The muzzy hunt does complicate the matter and I would violate my above theory to avoid that time. Saying all that, I can't remember how many times the "mantra" was....we should have been there the week before...or after !! LOL

Joe

08-Jun-16
I would correlate the average date of harvest for P&Y bulls as a bell curve corresponding to when the majority of hunters take their week vacation. Nothing more.

The P&Y-class bulls my partner and I have killed over the past 30 years ( we've only entered some of them) have come anytime between the third day of season and the last day. And we've both passed up bulls of that caliber on the first day, too early to shoot one.

IMO, the best time to hunt is when you have the longest window of time to hunt.

09-Jun-16
I agree that dates and pressure are far more important considerations. My experience happens to be a little different than most I guess. More than half the bulls I have harvested or guided for are within 3 days of the full moon. I still don't use it as a factor when planning. I try to hunt the second or third week according to when I can put the most days together to maximize my vacation time.

10-Jun-16
Rutting elk trump the Full Moon phases any day of the week! We have no concerns with this time period, elk are still there, locate them an hour or so before light if needed & get after them! When Full Moon & the Rut collide it's putting elk on the ground time. More elk hit the turf at this time than any other for us. Hunt hard-Hunt smart, you need to find elk first before you can kill them!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
If you are flexible with hunting dates you can possibly have someone scout and keep close tabs on what's going on before your trip? Also, keep an eye on the weather forecast. If it's 80 to 90 degrees and a full moon it may not pull things in your favor?

I didn't read through all the posts but is your hunt at timberline or lower sage country? Obviously weather is cooler at higher elevation. If mid to lower elevation and there are lots of dense trees for them to hang out in all day it may make it tougher but they'll likely still be somewhat active on the cooler side of the hill. If hunting open sage you'll find them no matter what the weather and moon phase.

Bulls are a little easier to call in when they first start rutting. If you hit the right time period it can be amazing! That's where scouting helps out! The more time you and your buddies are willing to put in the more likely you'll be successful! What ever dates you pick hunt hard regardless of moon and weather.

10-Jun-16
"You don't find they are more nocturnal and head back to bed earlier than other moon phases?"

Sure they're more nocturnal and head to their bedding area earlier, but that doesn't mean they still can't be had. You just have to forfeit a little sleep. Since they're generally more active at night during the full moon, you can use that to your advantage. Use those bugles to guide you right to them. Then, as soon as it's shooting light, you're right on top of them with plenty of time to make something happen.

Although they may head to bed earlier, I've also found they can be a little more active during mid-day, as well as earlier in the evening.

10-Jun-16
Dave, X2 with what Wyobullshooter says! In addition to that info I shared quite a bit more on the "OTC Unit" Thread on the very way that we find success in hunting elk during the Full Moon phases & rutting times, check it out!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
when going early in colo high country I have seen bulls in bachelor groups, hanging out in open parks and lone bulls polishing their horns and really chowing down,adding some weight for the upcoming stress I guess. while it may be a little harder to find them, no doubt stalking a lone bull who is feeding, is easier than slipping in on a herd bull.Given that calling up satellites or or lone bulls is the easiest way to bow kill a bull (excluding water) I think trying to kill a really big bull, is best done early before he is with cows. So I am going in remote high country for aug colo opener. We will see if it pays off..sure not as fun as hearing screaming bulls all around.

10-Jun-16
Ideally our local hunting partner would like for us to wait for him to call us once the elk start to get fired up and then head out immediately to be there the next day. However our partner here that has set up this hunt doesn't have the flexibility in his job to schedule vacation last minute.

I believe our hunt will mainly be at mid to higher level elevations. The mountain tops out at about 12,000 feet where we are hunting.

10-Jun-16
Here's a bit more info in those pre rut times in those high country elk hunts!

Once at your glassing spot your length of stay can be determined how big of an area you are glassing. 30 minutes to an hour or longer for larger areas is normal for us bowhunters, if a very small area then possibly less, staying longer doesn't hurt. Find several elevated spots via topo maps or by burning boot leather to do this glassing. Once elk are found, note their direction of movement. If in the morning these elk are in their feeding area or just leaving it & moving towards their bedding area, note their direction carefully & where you lose sight of them in the timber, they are most likely following a trail. That trail could be a promising ambush spot the following morning! Make sure you have wind in your favor at any ambush site before picking a setup spot near the trail but do not set up on the trail itself.

In country above timber line during early season or pre-rut, bulls can stay on the large open faces throughout the day & evening making it difficult to put a stalk on them in those wide open hill sides. Be patient, they will eventually move around for water & many times seek the comfort of the timber's coolness. Being there & being mobile & you may finally get your opportunity for the long awaited ambush.

If it's evening glassing ( last 2-3 hours of daylight) then elk are coming out of their bedding areas, again note where they are coming out of the cover or timber, this could be another very good ambush spot for an evening hunt! Watch that wind, you do not want to be winded even for a second or it's game over!

When at glassing spots & no elk are being seen then feel free to bugle from there with a very high note pitch, no chuckling or grunts needed here, listen for a response, if none in a minute do it again & listen, I like repeating this 5-6 times before stopping. Now sit & listen while still glassing areas over again. If at anytime you receive a bugle response do not bugle back, get their location & watch, listen & locate, you've now found them!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
Elknut1 and WYOBULLSHOOTER have it right, Full moon means opportunity to sneak close to the elk without headlights before there's shooting light. Elk in the rut are active all night regardless of moon phase and will be heading to their bedding areas within an hour after sunrise. If you do this just don't make the mistake of trying to get too close. In even 1/2 full moonlight they can bust you 100 yds out in a semi-open forest. I've followed big herdbulls and their harems for miles in the dark just to be close enough when light comes. You can bet in hunter-populated CO and some other states, there will be other hunters working their way in these bugling bulls before light. You can simply be there before them and hopefully get a set-up into play.

As mentioned, Hormone-induced "Full Rut" is the #1 factor, followed by #2 hunting pressure and #3 weather. An estimation of when the rut will be in full swing is harder to make but my rule of thumb is always be in the woods hunting the second half of Sept.

Jaquomo is spot on about spending as much time hunting as possible. One week is cutting your chances considerably. Generally, I will hunt the full two weeks here in AZ and will have camp our set up a week before it starts. Usually, by the time opening day comes I have figured out where they are and what will be the best option to begin with. IMO, if you have just a week and have not hunted elk often, you will spend a few days of that, (at least), to get into the groove of what they are doing (rut on?), when and where they are heading (bedding areas- to avoid) and what individual bulls are available (targeted).

It's too bad you buddy cannot get off work for more than a week, but if you can swing it, plan somehow to spend more time hunting. That can be the most important factor, much more than what dates or the moon phase or even weather. Maybe you could fly out earlier and head up with your local friend there or rent a vehicle and join up with the other two in your group, You could then travel back to MO with your buddy when the hunt ends. It will certainly improve your odds and give you a chance to get into the local elk's movements sooner, leaving more time to hunt them smarter.

Good Luck to you all..

• Sitka Gear