Dave32 04-Jun-16
DIYHuntingMaps 04-Jun-16
Nick Muche 04-Jun-16
archer56 04-Jun-16
Shug 04-Jun-16
jims 04-Jun-16
04-Jun-16

Dave32's Link
I'm looking to get a new video camera for filming hunts. There are so many out there I'm not even sure where to start looking. Optical zoom is important as well as some type of microphone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a video from last year in Wyoming. https://youtu.be/t3x-feTymmo

04-Jun-16
Dave,

That depends if you're looking for more of a "Camcorder" style vs a DSLR body. I shoot DSLR's - a Canon 70D, because that's what I use when I film with Outback Outdoors. They have kind of trained me to film hunts with them. They run almost exclusively 6d's. Camcorder styles are easier to use, the DSLR's will give you better video but are often an absolute pain.

As far as the mic, go with whatever Rode mic you can afford. If you want even better audio, grab a Zoom recorder and a lavalier mic. You'll have to line up the audio to the video in post.

Jordan

04-Jun-16

Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nick Muche's MOBILE embedded Photo

04-Jun-16
what small hand held is a good choice? i like the go pro, however you cant zoom in,

duffy

04-Jun-16
Nice set up Nick....would you take $500 for everything?

04-Jun-16
I used to have good luck with a Canon GL2. You can likely pick one up for reasonable price on Ebay or Craigslist because they take old version tapes. I believe it zoomed to 20xish power. It ended up rolling into a river on an Alaska trip so there went around $2,000!

GoPros are great for closeups but there is 0 zoom and audio is pathetic. I use my Gopro a lot for fish filming but that's about it.

Since my Canon went into the 'drink' I bought a decent Panasonic off Craigslist for $100. It was nearly new and usually cost around $500. It has a great zoom, image stabilization, and works fantastic for what I use it for. The nice thing about it is it fits in my pocket! I get a lot more video now than I ever did with my GL2 because I don't have to get it out of my pack every time I want to use it. I also carry it a lot more often because I don't have to lug a bulkier/heavier camcorder (plus tripod) around.

I'd recommend at least a 20x power and 1080 HD video. I'm not sure it is really worth spending lots on a camcorder because it may end up in the creek like mine. Most new model camcorders take awesome video and are a lot smaller in size. Camcorders are pretty tough to sell on Craigslist so there's a chance of getting an almost new one for about 1/2 the price if bought new. If you screw it up bounding off rocks, falling into a creek, or getting soaked in the rain you really aren't out much!

There are lots of web camcorder reviews...that's where I always look before buying.

• Sitka Gear