TD 12-Jun-16
Darrell 12-Jun-16
Darrell 12-Jun-16
Don K 12-Jun-16
Darrell 12-Jun-16
Jaquomo 12-Jun-16
Grunter 13-Jun-16
06-Jun-16
Curious what you guys think about leaving vehicles at the trailhead. Are lots of vehicles getting broken into? Any ideas to prevent this? Stories are welcome.

Also, can you just park anywhere on a road and pull over into the ditch and hike/hunt from there? This would be Colorado.

06-Jun-16
I left vehicles at a lot of trailheads over the years and never had a problem.

I think you need to consider how far you are from sleezbags. That's going to vary by trailhead.

06-Jun-16
Whats a trailhead?

"Also, can you just park anywhere on a road and pull over into the ditch and hike/hunt from there? This would be Colorado."

Yes.

06-Jun-16
I have not had a single problem at a trailhead in CO or Utah yet. In 2013 my truck sat a trailhead by Gunnison for 13 days with coolers, totes and an archery target in the box. No problems there.

07-Jun-16
I know of some vehicles at trailheads being broken into in Colorado...by bears. Prevent this by keeping food and coolers hidden from view if left inside vehicles. It seems to always happen at night. If you're lucky, you'll just have paw and nose prints on all your windows.

07-Jun-16
I've had rigs at TH's for 35 years and have only had one problem- here in Ca. Back probably 20 years ago we were hunting the trinities and passed a couple antis after just hitting the trail.

When we got back a few days later we found they had smeared a concoction of tomato sauce/oatmeal on the hood spelling "Killers" My buddy had to have his landcruiser repainted as it ate into the paint

07-Jun-16
Watching this closely.....

I think we've dodged a bullet or two... when we rent a rig it normally has in state plates.... we have NRs wave us down to ask directions all the time... I think it's called "the blind leading the blind"....

07-Jun-16
NO, you can't just park anywhere, in some forests. Pike NF has restrictions on where you can park in the Rampart Range area, not sure about others. And they will ticket you, they won't do anything about the people doing really bad stuff but they will ticket you for parking in the wrong spot! No I haven't had troubles yet, but I don't leave stuff out to invite them.

07-Jun-16
I always hear bad things about NM.

07-Jun-16
I was snow camping. I wasn't hunting, but I had some d-Bag smash my driver's side window and help himself to some of my stuff at a trailhead.

Don't leave anything of real value behind. Keep things of moderate value out of sight. Salt the dash, passenger seat and floor with trash. Nothing worthwhile here. Go away.

If you're going to be parking at a hectic trailhead near a pile of chit-heads, PM me and I'll share the grade-A deterrent.

07-Jun-16
Sad that this question is even relevant.

07-Jun-16
^^^^ Yes, it is. When I was a young man, I used to fish the rivers a lot here and never even locked my truck. Left stuff in the back that was never bothered. That all slowly changed over the years until now I wouldn't be comfortable doing this. Something about a free place to fish brings out the trashy thieves. Probably the only reason y'all don't see more of it elk hunting is the fact that it takes effort to even get there, and thieves ain't big on effort.

07-Jun-16
I am thinking about hanging a trail cam high in a tree to watch over my truck while I am in the back country.

07-Jun-16
When leaving your rig for an extended amount of time be aware of not leaving anything of value in plain sight, that in itself will keep most honest folks away. Folks will generally break in for a reason so just be smart & cautious! Too, don't leave things in your rig of value even if hidden then you do not have as much to be concerned with if messed with. Good luck!

ElkNut1

07-Jun-16
Walked back to my car after scouting off a NM forest road and saw a dude on a dirt bike bail away from my car. Went running to see if I had windows busted out. No break in, but it looked like he was looking in for goodies because there was dusty finger prints on my windows. shady. I've heard about people getting slashed tires, broken windows, and broken game cameras. A lot of them nothing was stolen just people being a holes

I usually just don't keep anything valuable in my car.

07-Jun-16
vthokee, I hide a trail cam to watch my base camp trailer, but have never had a problem, only someone looking around once. I may leave it for a few days to go spike camp. I also leave a note saying I ran to get more water and will be back shortly.

I have heard of guys getting hunting vehicles broken into at popular trailheads, with their resupply stuff stolen, slashed tires. Here in NoCo there is a good amount of greenies and anti-hunters so the risk is always there.

I don't hunt from trailheads because I don't enjoy lots of company and competition from other Sitka Warriors when I hunt. So I hunt more random spots that those sheep generally avoid and have never had a problem. But I don't leave anything of value in sight, either.

07-Jun-16
The problem with putting a game camera out to watch your camp/stuff is that they will likely take it as well. However, I'm sure some would not notice and/or not have what they would need to steel it. (Though a hammer or something to pry with would be all someone would need.) However, one that sends pictures out via cell signal would be great. So would a cheap one with a sign on it saying it has already sent their picture out via cell signal.

That said, I've camped and hunted in NM for 30+ years and a few times in CO and WY and never had a problem. I know others have and i know things are getting worse, especially when you add in the anti-hunter justification mindset. However, at least for now, I will continue to camp and park where I want and deal with any problems if they come up.

07-Jun-16
I got siphoned last year. Was sitting in a treestand and heard an ATV get fired up, die, fired up, die, fired up, then drove off and thought it was weird but didn't think much else of it. Got back to the truck and was almost on E; the truck actually didn't start the first time I tried. This was ten miles into the NF. It was frustrating.

-Joe

07-Jun-16
So far no problems in CO over the last 20 years. Hope my luck continues to hold out...

Best of Luck, Jeff

07-Jun-16
Here is a tip for you

I have been known to drive old mountain forest roads and look for narrow stretches with no pull outs and 'elky' country. I then keep going to the nearest pull out and see how far it is back to the narrow area. Usually its about 1/4 -3/8 mile.

I will then park and hike back to the narrow area and hunt.

In the last 7 years we have killed over a dozen elk less than 1/2 mile from the road.

The nice thing about pullouts is anyone driving by have no idea when you are coming back, unlike popular trailheads.

07-Jun-16
We used to have this problem here. Until our vehicles got old and beat up and, we started leaving the doors unlocked. Seriously

07-Jun-16
Brad, What's a pull out?

Only "pull out" I'm aware of, I'm usually not quick enough at. ;-)

But, seriously, what is a pull out?

07-Jun-16
Nick

Slow pull outs usually result in a Father's Day card

Seriously: A pull out is a wide spot in the road just large enough to get your truck off the road, or a place to turn around.

07-Jun-16
Seems like most people have not had problems and that's great to hear. Yup leaving valuable things in the open is asking for it be stolen. That's ANYWHERE you park. I won't even let my gf leave her purse where you could see it through any window in our home. People look for opportunity.

cnelk--great tip!! Store that for the memory bank and I'd love to try that. I would think just pulling into a less crowded area has to be better for finding elk. That makes total sense.

07-Jun-16
Grunter, as far as parking and hunting- you'll want to be sure you are hunting on public land so National Forest and BLM maps are very useful. The Colorado Hunt Atlas that is on CPWs website also shows public land boundaries.

Get a new copy of the Motor Vehicle use map from the local NF office. It will show you what roads are open and where you can camp. The Colorado Hunt Atlas also has a layer for NF motor vehicle use but it is out of date and shows some roads as open that have been closed for a few years.

And don't park in a ditch. You never know when those ditches will fill with water.

08-Jun-16
There are all kinds of no parking or parking for 8 hours only signs around the FS roads near Aspen (go figure).

Since buying a new truck I have decided to leave all hunting related decals off, no NRA, CBA, RMEF, etc. I'm a supporter, but I want the greenies to think I'm just out for a nice trail ride with the horses, maybe hug a tree or 2 along the way.

Another good way to beat the crowds is to park near a river just a little too deep to cross in your boots. Leave your waders hidden on the other side and have the woods to yourself.

08-Jun-16
I don't put hunting decals or logos on my car either billy goat. Good idea. If I see someone parked in wilderness with elk stickers all over their truck during the season I probably just found a new hunting spot. Hahaha

08-Jun-16
Have returned to find wiring ate off vehicle. Pack Rats, and Porcupine love to eat electrical wiring for some dang reason. Put a packet of fresh cab under your hood and one on the ground under the rig to run off would be chewers.

oz

08-Jun-16
If your planning on hunting the eastern stretch of the coast range in southern Oregon don't leave anything in your truck cause it wont be there when you get back. Also, when you come out of the woods make sure you got your pistol ready a lot of tweakers out there robbing hunters

08-Jun-16
One time I had a hitch receiver stolen. But I as outfitting which means probably not everyone's favorite guy.

One other time I got back to the trailhead to see the side of my truck bed smashed in. Under the wiper was a note that said "My damn mules back his fat a$$ into your truck. Call this number and I'll take care of the bill to fix it right away"

I run into more nice folks at trailheads than ones I think I can't trust.

But out of sight out of mind so don't just leave valuables in plain view.

08-Jun-16
Grunter, not trying to Hi-Jack your thread

oz, to keep rodents away from eating your wiring, just pour some ammonia all around your vehicle. Works great for keeping skunks away as well.

08-Jun-16
Does that same tactic work on the tree hugger types as well Inshart?

09-Jun-16
I guess I would consider most tree huggers as rodents ... so it just might work.

10-Jun-16
"Does that same tactic work on the tree hugger types as well Inshart?"

I'd think if you spread a few job applications around, they would keep their distance.

10-Jun-16
Ha! Funny stuff. I needed that....thanks! Sad, but probably very true.

11-Jun-16
I've never run into any issues parking at a trail-head. I did however "luck out" on one occasion.

I was out hunting for 4 days and came back to a parking lot full of cars and trucks broken into. My truck was the only one that was untouched. I started looking around and wondering why, and then I noticed my military beret on the dash of my truck. Maybe the thieves were patriotic that day but from then on I always put my beret in the window.

Nothing you truly can do to prevent issue but try and cover everything up and wish for the best I guess.

12-Jun-16
I was thinking about something like a big note taped inside a window... "Joey, be back in about an hour, give me a call when you get this"

Make it look like somebody, or even a couple of somebodies will be back any time?

12-Jun-16
How about "Joey, I'll be back in an hour with your AK-47. Give me a call if you get her before I do and I can be here in 5-10" :)

12-Jun-16
That should be "get here before I do" not "get her before I do." Wow, one missing letter can really change a sentence especially when there is an AK-47 in the background.

12-Jun-16
LOL, Darrell if people read your first note I'm thinking there may be plenty of safety at the trailhead

12-Jun-16
Yeah, that is why I added a correction instead of editing my original post. My typo might be better than what I intended but some people would take it wrong.

12-Jun-16
Besides a note telling my good friend Bubba I'll be back shortly or something similar, I also have a printed statement in the window of my base camp trailer referencing the CO state law statutes and notice that I'm not responsible for any injuries which may occur during illegal entry into the trailer.

Don't know if it helps but I've left my trailer unattended for up to a week at a time while spike camping and never had anyone bother it.

13-Jun-16
Darrel- I got a good laugh from that one! But seriously that's a good idea to leave a note similar to what you were saying.

• Sitka Gear