ohiohunter 08-Jun-16
luckyleo 08-Jun-16
ohiohunter 09-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
ohiohunter 10-Jun-16
07-Jun-16
Ok guys let me start with saying I've only hunted elk two years now. It was in the same unit both years shown to me by a friend. He is not going this year. So l decided to take my son this year as a graduation present for him from collage. So we applied for the same unit and did not get drawn. Leading to my main questions. Being relatively new to elk hunting what do you look for in a OTC unit? What draws you to a specific terrian or location? I live in Michigan so my scouting will be threw maps and google earth and maps. Thanks for any advice!!

07-Jun-16
Depends on the state, but success and hunter densities can be a big contributor. Most the guys just go to where they know. A lot of the OTC units are very similiar in terms of elk populations, but it can come down to the type of hunt you want (i.e. vegetation types) and just picking an area and starting to learn it. Boots on the ground.

Jordan

08-Jun-16
Research!

You didn't mention what state. I know both Colo. and N.M. provided plenty of data on herd density hunter numbers and success rates. That along with elevation is how I picked units to apply for or OTC units to hunt.

I would look for a unit nearby that has similar terrain. You will no more of what your getting into.

08-Jun-16
If you hunt early, elk can and will be a little bit of any where. Muzzleloader season, find the deepest darkest holes where peopl aren't likely to go. They'll be concentrated due to the rut and the pressure. That means packing elk back up hill. But, that is what my group has found to be the case. Elk, go down into deep canyons when access makes the top of the mountain easy enough to get too. So be prepared to hunt lower if they have the room to go low.

I'm no expert. But, it seems to me people relate elk hunting To high mountains. I've been to tree line and to 5000 feet looking for them. By the start of muzzleloader season, they are most always low if human pressure is involved. Low means adjacent to private land. It also means a bunch of grueling work getting them out. People know that and act accordingly. Elk respond accordingly. Good luck and God Bless

08-Jun-16
I have told guys looking for an OTC unit in Colorado to research units that have undersubscribed cow tags.

That a great place to start as it means the herd number is over objectives

08-Jun-16

Elkaddict's Link
If you haven't yet, buy and watch this. Last day you can get the special price of $49, goes up to $99 tomorrow. GREAT INFO here regarding your questions, and lots more info.

08-Jun-16
Yesterday was the last day. It's $99 now.

Likely, still very much worth it.

08-Jun-16
Ooops! Excellent,I'm a day farther in the week than I thought! Yes still worth the $99 for sure.

08-Jun-16
RMEF is offering it at $50 for this week, so there's still time. Thanks Corey!

08-Jun-16
Billygoat, do you have a link for us? ThNks

08-Jun-16
Colorado!

09-Jun-16
Goat, could you please post a link for the RMEF deal. I haven't been able to find it.

10-Jun-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Here's some info that can help you out so you can quickly & confidently locate elk! Finding elk is more than half the battle, here's how we do it & you can too!

Some of the best & quickest ways are to locate elk through bugling 1 hour to 1-1/2 hour before daylight. Once camp is setup take an hour or so & drive the roads in your area, find areas during the daytime where you can utilize night Bugling off roads where areas look good or sound will carry afar! Select 6 - 10 spots. Look for roads where country is fairly steep & rugged, most hunters do not camp in these areas & most will not start their hunts in this type of terrain. You could drive one mile or 20 miles, doesn't matter, keep going until you locate them before daylight. -- Come morning head out to bugle in your pre-selected areas! Once elk are located or respond back, quit bugling to them, you can now grab your gear & head their way while still dark. Get as close as possible without alerting them, watch the wind direction, you do not want your scent going to the elk! It's tough to say exactly what to do next as situations can vary, either slip in silent with no calling if possible as soon as it gets light or prepare to setup & call them your way with a low volume low intensity breeding sequence.

Too, it's common for elk to move off as daylight appears, these elk will start their journey to their daytime bedding areas. This can take them 1-3 miles from where first found off the roads. This means they can take us further into the mountains if we are not fortunate enough to put them down close to their nighttime feeding/rendezvous areas. When this happens we can lose sight of hearing them as they crest various benches & ridge tops as we attempt to follow or dog the herd. Once we make the top we will consider glassing or areas we feel sound can carry a good distance we will call to relocate these elk if they are not talking on their own, if they are talking we do not call we simply move in as close as possible to them without being seen or winded.

There will be days that elk are not heard from the roads, not many but it does happen! What we now consider is that those elk are somewhere so now we have a back up plan to head to areas where they might be but we cannot hear them from any parts of a road. -- So what do we do? We head to some of those areas the elk took us on earlier hunts over the benches & ridge tops to glass & call from to see if they are over in those areas now!

In time you will accumulate many areas as this as the days, weeks & years go by simply from originally locating elk from roads! It can open a quick & new world in finding elk then & where their other haunts are such as water, wallows, trails, natural mineral licks, breeding areas, bedding & feeding areas. I like jotting much of this new found information on my topo map of the area I carry with me for present & future studies!

Anytime we get elevation we can both Glass where needed & above all use Location Bugles to find unseen elk that may be in the timber! Remember just like Glassing for elk Bugling at these points is for the same reason! We are FINDING them not trying to call them to us! Once found we quit bugling & get over to them just as you would if located through glassing!

As hunters gain knowledge of their area their odds & areas to consider will increase, it's then that they start to broaden their horizons. They need a starting point! This is where the original post comes into play. This offers a direction we have located 1000's of elk over the years with these methods & so can you!

Here's a couple of photos of the type of country we look for to locate elk from roads.

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16

Another photo where we would call from!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16

Here's a third photo, this gives guys an idea of the kind of country we call into, our Location bugle can travel well over a mile away, bulls do respond, don't give up, persistence will payoff & you will find huntable bulls!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
Trublucolo, thank you! For others RMEF50 is the code. Thanks again.

• Sitka Gear