MDcrazyman 15-Jun-16
Jethro 15-Jun-16
MDcrazyman 15-Jun-16
Mt. man 15-Jun-16
Beendare 15-Jun-16
Jethro 15-Jun-16
ElkChaser413 19-Jun-16
08-Jun-16
Who here has experience in hearing the Death Moan of an elk? How long after the shot did you hear it & aprox how far was your elk when you heard it?

I'd say the normal time we hear this moan is one to five minutes after the shot. The elk is generally down within 150 yards but have heard it as far as 200 yards away in the right conditions. It's more rare than normal for us to hear it but does happen from time to time & gives us a great direction as to where they are if unsure!

ElkNut1

08-Jun-16
Never heard it. Never had one live for a minute either ;)

08-Jun-16
I heard the Death Moan on the first elk I ever killed. The 1st shot I took was far back but I was able to quickly put a 2nd arrow in his lungs. He ran over a small ridge and I had thought a bear attacked him - I had never heard anything like it. He was down within 100 yards and under a minute from when I took the 1st shot.

08-Jun-16
Yep, they can sure sound like a bear moan!

Otcwill, give it time, you will hear it, maybe this year! (grin)

ElkNut1

08-Jun-16
Last year my bull went 70 yards after the shot and laid down. We could hear him breathing heavy and kicking rocks for 1 hour. 1 hour after the shot we heard the moan and one last loud breath being exhaled. That is when the bull died. We waited 1 more hour before approaching.

08-Jun-16
I've actually heard it a few times. Mike's OTC bull from 2011 did it, and that actually fired up another bull a few hundred yards away. It was pretty intense.

08-Jun-16

Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Well-Strung's embedded Photo
Last year was the first time I heard anything similar to a death moan from an elk. We've killed plenty of elk and not heard any noises from them. Although, The one I shot last year 2015 was through both lungs and only made it about 30-40 yards as soon as I lost sight of him I heard very loud moaning.. then gurgling and then more moaning. I sat there for a few minutes listening for it to stop.. then snuck over to him. He was still moaning a little when I found him but I knew he was already done... I believe that it was the way he fell more than anything. His head was up and his back on a log and the air was still escaping from inside him...even while working on him he still moaned a few times. I've heard bear moans and it was similar but again I think he was already out for the count. As I found him pic.

08-Jun-16
I heard it for the first time ever last year. Even though I was 300 yards away it was loud and distinct. In the interest of full disclosure it was my first ever antlered rifle kill.

He walked 30 yards after I put two solid rounds in him. I was in the process of sending two more down range as he was getting wobbly and crashing down hill. I heard the moan just a few minutes later before he was done for good.

08-Jun-16
I've shot exactly 1 elk, but for this topic, it was a good experience!

Elk was shot at about 6 feet as it tried to pass me to get to the guide who was 50 yards behind me calling. At the shot, the bull wheeled away from me (thank god!) and ran in a semi-circle and stopped at 42 yards, the guide must have heard the shot because he instantly broke into screaming bugles and cow calls which is probably why the bull stayed in site.

By this time I saw the blood coming out of the entrance wound and the exit side was towards me as he looped away, so I knew it was a pass through.

he stood there, broadside at 42 yards and I knocked another arrow. By then he was facing me, but his back legs where splayed out like he was having trouble standing, then down he went.

He got up, fell down again and stayed down, but laid with his head up. His breathing got harder and more labored and his head would drop and he'd pick it up. The whole time I could hear him breathing.

Then he went silent, head down, not moving, then did the death moan.

Total time: about 10 minutes.

08-Jun-16
I've heard the death moan from two of my bulls. First one went maybe 35yds and probably less than a minute passed before I heard it. Second one went less than a hundred yds. I'd guess it was closer to 5 min before I heard it from him.

Oddly enough, neither bull bled much externally, so it was a very welcome sound to hear...lack of a blood trail wasn't an issue. ;-)

08-Jun-16
I called a bull in for my buddy last fall and he double lunged it. The bull ran 50 yrds over the bank and did the death moan.

08-Jun-16
I have heard it twice; 80 yards away and a minute after the shot. Another from 1/4 mile across a canyon; probably 15 minutes after the shot (was tracking for my cousin on a rifle hunt)

08-Jun-16
I've heard it a couple times, both happened right away as soon as they hit the ground

08-Jun-16
Something I learned today. Never heard or knew elk did this. Only had one elk I think live for more than 30 seconds, most went down in less than 100yds, one made it 200 yds and that was on a steep hill. One cow (first elk) was liver hit and made it 400yds. All the guys I know that elk hunt and none have ever mentioned it..

Ed

08-Jun-16
Heard it several times. No blood trailing needed after that which is nice. My bull last year was standing in a pond when I shot. He moaned when the arrow zipped thru him. He only went less than 30 yds and crashed. still in sight of me. Did 4-5 of the loudest moans I've ever heard. Then to my surprise not having a clue he was even around a nice 6x6 came charging in from behind me and got about 10' from the dead bull and barked at him a couple times, got my wind and turned inside out leaving. I was solo this day and really wish my wife would have been with me. She would of had a sweet 20yd shot on the 6x6.

08-Jun-16
My 2013 bull did a death moan when he died about 30 seconds after the shot (rifle). Very cool and creepy sounding at the same time.

I also had a whitetail let out a loud groan right when I shot her, about 15 years ago. Shotgun slug on that one.

08-Jun-16
ElkNut1 - I have never had the privilege to hunt elk except with a camera in hand. But when hunting whitetail deer, I have found that if I do a buck roar with my voice right after the arrow hits it's mark, then they will hear it while running off and often times it will stop them and they will roar or moan back, which in most cases is their last breath.

I believe I picked this up from elk hunters.

08-Jun-16
I heard it on the second bull I shot, maybe 100 to 150 yards away. Kind of neat.

08-Jun-16
Perhaps someone with some veterinary training can answer this.....is it true that the animal is actually dead when the "moan" occurs....and the sound is the result of the diaphram starting to stiffen (thus forcing out air) as rigor mortis sets in?

This was mentioned in a thread a few years back, but I don't remember what the general consensus was....

08-Jun-16
Wow, some great experiences here, I appreciate all the feedback & it's occurrences, thank you!

Medicinemann, not sure personally as I've not been within eyesight of the elk when the death moan was heard, interesting thought! Thanks!

ElkNut1

08-Jun-16
Jake, the first time I heard the death moan, the bull did it three times approx 5 sec apart. He would have had to have some life in him for at least the first two. Other than that I have no proof, but I've always felt they gave the moan in their last moments.

08-Jun-16
I thought rigor mortis didn't start until a few hours after death?

08-Jun-16
In the thread "death moan of a bear" (6/2014) from a couple years ago, a physician actually responded that rigor DOES take a while to occur (as mentioned by Vids)....so that would contradict the theory about the air being expelled after the animal died....

08-Jun-16
I felt the same as Wyobull, I figured those were an elk's last breaths!

ElkNut1

08-Jun-16
I hit a bull in the Missouri Breaks 10-12 years ago thru the liver & guts just before dark. We waited till midnight before tracking him(very warm temps) & lost his trail so we backed out till daylight. We finally spotted him bedded down but still alive.

I slipped in on him & double lunged him & he took off a short distance before going down. He rolled down the hill a little ways & ended up almost upside down with his rack tangled up in the grass/brush. When this happened, before he died, he let out several bellows which I witnessed. A mule deer doe heard this & came running out of the brush to within a few yards of the bull before spotting me & running off!

I don't know if this was the "death moan" or if the bull was sounding off because he was stuck. Either way, it was an incredible experience!

09-Jun-16
Had a cow do it 80 yards from me, about a minute after the shot. It was really weird because it was a sound I swore was a bull until I walked to the spot and found her.

Watched a bull of mine do it at 70 yards.

09-Jun-16
DC, have not heard a Deer make this moan but heck you never know! (grin)

t-roy, now that was a very pro-longed one for sure. I guess the death moan is the death moan regardless of how long it takes them to expire! Way to stick with the tracking job many hours later, glad it all worked out!

ElkNut1

09-Jun-16
I have heard it on 4 occasions. First time was a cow I shot that had a bull chasing her. I made a nice shot got a pass through blood pumping from both sides. Bull horns her after she went down and pushed her into the timber. 10 seconds later she moaned. Second time was a 5 point I shot. Another decent shot he trotted off and after 30 seconds he moaned. The third was shot by my partner and he hit it "just a little high". We waited 2 hrs took up the trail with decent blood and after an hr spotted him getting up wiggly legs style and slip off down hill. We waited in his bed that was full of blood knowing he wasn't long for this world and 45 minutes later he moaned. Bull was hit high but both lungs were punctured. He lived almost 4 hrs after the shot. Last time I heard it was my brother in law shot a bull at last light and said he pinned it. While we were waiting to take up trail I heard him moan and knew he was dead. We lost the trail that night and ended up finding him the next morning by his smell coming down through the drainage. He had made it across and up hill from where he was hit. Shot was awful through the hind quarter and into the liver. He pinned him alright. It makes my hair stand up when I hear it but its music to my ears.

09-Jun-16
Several times from a bear but never with an elk. But I've only killed about a dozen elk and most with a gun.

10-Jun-16
Yes. I would say between 5 and 10 minutes. Have heard it twice. My buddy shot one that ran about 100 yards and laid down on the game trail.

We thought he had missed and were looking for the arrow. The bull had bolted just as he released. We could glimpse him through the trees and his head was bobbing up and down like he was trying not to fall asleep on the couch.

We watched him for a few more minutes before he finally groaned and fell still.

HIs arrow had actually hit him in the rear quarter and severed the femoral artery. There was no blood trail. when we cut into the hide all the blood poured out. All the bleeding was internal.

10-Jun-16
I've only heard it twice. Both times were within 50 yards and 30 seconds...

10-Jun-16
I have had 3 die within eyesight. 2 out of treestand and the one last year on the ground while he was in a pond. All 3 of these did the moan and it was within a minute after the shot (probably within seconds as the rush was still with me). All 3 did multiple moans and all 3 that I have witnessed in my non-expert opinion was their last gasps to re-fill their lungs, but the air just came right back out. I do believe the animal was technically dead at that point, but the muscles around the lungs where flexing and contracting continuing to squeeze for air. Then it was eerily quiet!

10-Jun-16
Nothing better! When you know it will be a short tracking job! I've heard it 100 or less yards away and within a minute right after they crash! Is it time yet???

11-Jun-16
I heard it with the first elk I killed. I hit him broadside at 20 yards while he was slowly walking. I thought the shot was too far back but I was hoping liver rather than guts but wasn't sure. He ran off about 30 or 40 yards, stopped then laid down. I'm thinking Great...stay there! I hung my bow back on the hook (tree standing) and checked my watch. I couldn't see him totally, just bits and his rack sticking up. At times I'd lose sight of him until he moved his rack a bit. After 45 minutes he let out that long, eerie death moan and I could see his rack slowly descend to the ground. I immediately started descending my tree. Upon field dressing him, I was surprised to find no blood in his abdominal cavity, which told me my pass through was on the lung side of the diaphragm. It was at the absolute rear where, although lung, no large arteries...only thing which makes sense for 45 minutes.

12-Jun-16
First elk I ever shot went 6 steps and died in a minute. Death moan came about 45 seconds after he was shot. A personal and significant moment for the both of us. Ever since then I've had a huge respect and admiration for the gift we've been given. He fed three families for many months. Antis will never understand the cycle of life and death we as archers experience.

12-Jun-16
I don't know of any animal species I've hunted and killed where at least some haven't made some noise or another at or close to death. Have heard deer, elk, bear, sheep, pigs, goats, etc. not every time by any means, but all at one time or another.

One bull shot in his bed, almost went down getting up... ran 15 yards or so and plowed into a tree head on and down. I was standing 5 feet away thinking he was gone when he suddenly stretched his legs and body out long, moaned loud and died. I don't know how long it was after the shot but it couldn't have been more than a minute.or so.

12-Jun-16
I don't know about you guys but it is one sound I hope to never hear again.

13-Jun-16
I've heard it at least three times. The first bull I ever killed did it about 30 seconds after the shot. I had killed a few bears and was familiar with the bear death moan but did not know that elk did it too. That bull's moan sounded like it had a little bulge mixed in with the moan. It was an eerie sound but I knew what it meant.

As Elkaddict stated above, my 2011 bull dropped about 75 yards from where I shot him and moaned a few times. Another bull not far away became enraged at the sound of the moans and started bugling very aggressively. For a few minutes we thought we were going to have a double.

14-Jun-16
Thanks guys! Pretty interesting stuff with several of you mentioning how other bulls would bugle back at another bulls death moan, sounds like another sound to consider! (grin)

ElkNut1

14-Jun-16
sure have........that's when the fist pumping started on several occasions. both within 30 yards of the where the elk took the arrow and probably less than 2 minutes.

15-Jun-16
Dave, thanks!

Idacurt, I hear ya, it is a very desperate sound for survival no doubt but it is sound that we cannot stop. None of us want to sound cruel or heartless towards the elk expiring but it can give a direction if needed. Thanks!

ElkNut1

15-Jun-16
It can but it sounds like it only happens when less than perfect shots are made. Double lung shot and they have no air to moan with correct? This thread is an anti hunters dream, guys saying it took an hour to die, all night it laid there, 20 mins. We know this happens but why write it down and give people ammunition to fight hunting. I just don't get it. You never see anti hunters blogging about how yummy venison is, that would be counter productive to there cause, we all love hunting so I don't know why we write in depth about the part that hurts us the most, wounded animals that take long periods to die. Even a minute is a long time.

15-Jun-16
MD, the sound comes from a killing shot in most instances & the elk is still within earshot of the shooter. Sorry if the topic offended you are anyone else.

ElkNut1

15-Jun-16
Every time I've heard it, it has been after a very quick killing shot. Same with bears...

15-Jun-16
It is not heard on less than perfect shots. It is heard on shots that are quick and lethal. I've also heard it many times on bears and they are almost always 30-40 yards, sometimes much less.

15-Jun-16
elk nut I don't get offended, just making a statement about putting things out there that can be used against us.

15-Jun-16
MD, what about a few years ago when you started a thread about the "big big buck" you shot in the spine and it ran away with your arrow sticking out. Weren't you worried that the anti's would end up using that against hunting? If we can't talk about hunting on a bowhunting forum, where can we?

15-Jun-16
Ah Jethro your right, I did spine a buck and he lived until last year he disappeared. At this point in my life I would not post about that. Like I said I was just making a statement. Where I live has changed my views on what I post as I live in a state that looks for any reason to take rights from people, so I don't like to do that anymore. I do applaud your investigative skills though!!!!!

15-Jun-16
Idacurt, I can tell you for me it is a sound I very much want to hear and hear often. It's an instant recovery with zero blood trail and confirmed freezer full of goodness...........YUMMY! I may be weird but the goose bumps and hair standing up on the back of my neck with the silence that follow are exciting for me. LOVE IT!!

15-Jun-16
Ive heard gurgles but no moan.... And probably 1/2 of my elk have died in sight.

Maybe i better have my ears checked Edit: and thats seeing a pile of elk die in 30 + years of bowhunting elk....

15-Jun-16
Fair enough MDcrazyman. I can appreciate your position.

19-Jun-16
MD a 6x6 I shot was a double lunged a tad high and did it 5 times and only ran about 60yrds. First and only time I ever heard it. Was kind of crazy.

• Sitka Gear