IdyllwildArcher 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 10-Jun-16
Inshart 10-Jun-16
AZBUGLER 10-Jun-16
ElkNut1 11-Jun-16
swede 11-Jun-16
sfiremedic 11-Jun-16
10-Jun-16
Would there be an occasion for a hunter to use an "Elk Bark" to his/her advantage, other than to perhaps stop an elk for a shot?

10-Jun-16
Messing with your buddies when you see them trudging down the trail not paying attention is one good use :^)

10-Jun-16
Does it always translate to an alarm?

10-Jun-16
According to my experience no. We were hunting a flat that dropped off, the flat was relatively open w/ water. We had a bull hung up in the drop off who started barking, it got dark. We ended up kind of trapped due to the water system of the area, so here we are trying to back out while this guy is barking. My buddy ended up seeing the bull under moon light thrashing a water hole w/ a cow, at about 40yds.

So despite his barks he did not flea and still came up to the water.

10-Jun-16
I'm thinking maybe. I've had them bark at me when they can't see me but think I'm an elk close by.

Have never gotten an opportunity after a bark.

I'm wondering what would happen if I was the one to bark at him.

10-Jun-16
When an elk uses an alarm bark it's an area clearing event! They are generally one after another as they warn others & completely vacate your area.

A Popping/Nervous Grunt sounds similar but instead they are generally heard in a single note fashion & the elk hang around wanting a visual or satisfying identification. They are generally heard if they've seen something they are unsure of or from you calling & they come to a spot they know they should see the elk they heard. When they don't they can hang up there & ask you for a visual.

This is the # 1 elk sound we use to stop elk & take them. All elk can make this sound!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
I've come to the conclusion there are two types of barks. One is the alarm bark. There has never been a time I've heard this sound that the outcome was positive. It sounds almost exactly like a german shepherd. Anytime I've heard it, it's normally followed by a period of silence, then pounding hooves.

The other is what I call a curiosity bark, which is what ohiohunter experienced. To me, it sounds a little higher pitched than an alarm bark, and many times is immediately followed by a series of chuckles. The bull isn't necessarily alarmed, but something has grabbed his attention. If I'm in pretty close to a bull that does this, I'll immediately mimic this sound back to him. More times than not, this seems to confirm to the bull than I'm just another bull that's curious as well. He settles down and I continue to work him in for a shot.

I know people have had great success using a bark to stop an elk for a shot, but I prefer to use a mew. Both will work.

One thing to keep in mind, if you're going to use a bark to stop an elk for a shot, you better be good at making that call. If it sounds too much like an alarm bark, and that elk doesn't stop exactly where/when you want, then you may very well have screwed yourself. OTOH, that's why I prefer the mew. It's a calming sound, and if you need to manipulate him for a better shot, he's not on high alert. Again, it's all personal preference, since we all tend to stick with things that's worked for us in the past.

10-Jun-16
Here's a few samples from Sounds Of The Elk CD. Click on "Supporting Link"

Yes, this sound can be used to draw an elk out that you know is there as he slips in silently to your calling, use this Nervous Grunt before they do & your odds escalate greatly for them to show themselves! They know exactly what this Grunt means!

I'm looking for file!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16

ElkNut1 's Link
Yes, an alarm or warning bark is just that, it's a warning to others as well as the elk that is giving it. When stopping elk for a shot just about any sharp burst type sound will do the job. I've found that a cow call or mew isn't heard at times by the elk trying to be halted for the shot so it's low on our list to be used.

To date I've not experienced a single time that the Popping/Nervous Grunt has not brought out the elk from cover or stopped them on a dime for the shot. I would guess that we've taken close to 40 elk where the Nervous Grunt was the last sound they heard! This sound can be made with ones voice or a mouth reed! This sound ask for an action out of other elk where as a cow call does not, it simply says there's an elk around.

Here's a few elk giving this sound! Click "Supporting Link"

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
Paul, I can't hear the difference between a bark and a Popping Grunt. Was the link you posted of barks or Popping grunts? Do you have a link to the other too?

10-Jun-16
I've seen/heard what wyobullshooter describes as well. A higher pitched bark and no pounding hooves. In the situation, it really seemed that I was busted, but at the time, the bull was looking for elk, not a hunter. I didn't bark back, I mewed back, and the bull did not bolt.

10-Jun-16
Aspen, the clip was on the Popping/Nervous Grunts. I don't have one on just barks/barking. You'll know when it's alarm barks, they are repetitious & the elk flat leave.

It's really tough to tell the difference as far as sharpness or tone between the two sounds since cows, calves & bulls can vary in age giving these sounds, hence they will vary in volume & clear crisp tones, some being more mature than others.

It's not anything to be concerned about when hearing or using this grunt/bark to stop elk. Give one grunt/bark & it will do the job, it's anchors them in place! I'm sure I'm not always perfect with it but I have used this sound for near 20 years with positive results!

The key to knowing what you're hearing is the elk stay put after giving this Nervous Grunt, they do not run off like they would giving a warning bark. They can pace around & give this grunt countless time over a 5 minute period or just several of them over a few minute period. Point is they stay close by doing so in most cases!

ElkNut1

10-Jun-16
Interesting, Thanks

10-Jun-16
Negative. Bad mojo.

11-Jun-16
On two occasions I had cows come into calling & for some reason get wind of something not right! In both instances the cows left giving a bark every few seconds. With the 1st one I knew the gig was up so decided what the heck & went straight at her even though I had lost sight of her & barked myself as I ran in her direction, I saw other elk 60 yards through the scattered timber ahead & ran at them still giving a bark, they let me run within 15 yards of them, I scanned quickly for the bull & did not see him, wasn't interested in a cow but if I was it would have been a slam dunk.

On the 2nd occasion a similar thing happened & the cow left to head back to the group barking as she left. I had seen this group enter the timber with a 6 point in tow so knew he was in there. Once again I took off keeping cover between me & them & barked my way in their direction as I ran right in amongst them, again I was with yards away of cows & could not locate the bull. Point is in both instances those elk let me run right in on them as I barked like they did.

I've done this with cow calls on an excited level as well with better success! (grin) In both those instances I knew those elk were outa there so I gave it my one & only best shot to make something happen! It didn't but it could have! (grin) But it was a lot of fun!

ElkNut1

11-Jun-16
I have heard barks quite a few times while either hunting or working in the forest. I have watched as elk were nervous and trying to see what made some movement they caught. I have heard them when they were convinced I was trouble. The different voices of elk, the terrain, vegetation and distance all effect sound. I can't tell the difference between the various barks based on some nuance in sound. If the bull stands and barks or continues to hang around; he is nervous. If he runs off and takes all those that are with him, he is scared. We can give different names to the barks based on their usage, but they sound the same to me.

11-Jun-16
I was on a following herd bull with 12-15 cows as they moved up a canyon. They held up for some reason and that allowed me to sneak in. The bull was bugling 50-60 yards in front of me when to my right at 20yards the cows started barking. Their bark immediately brought the bull back to see what all the fuss was about. He's hanging on my wall now.

This is where luck is involved, by all rights that herd should've blown out. But this time they didn't... Go figure...

• Sitka Gear