GhostBird 19-Jun-16
hawkeye in PA 19-Jun-16
Darrell 13-Sep-16
tadpole 13-Sep-16
IdyllwildArcher 13-Sep-16
BIGHORN 13-Sep-16
AZBUGLER 14-Sep-16
12-Jun-16
I hope to be able to swing by my NM elk unit later this week to leave 3 cameras out for 3 months. I know nothing is "secure" on public land (or private often for that matter). However, I'm wondering which is better. Locking or hiding.

The two new cameras I bought are so small I think that in many places I could put them 8-10' high and maybe disguise them a little and they might not ever be seen. Putting locks on them may make them more noticeable and anyone with a limb saw or even a rock could cut or bust the plastic on the camera where the lock goes.

At the same time, a lock helps mostly honest people stay that way. I could see it being incredibly tempting for someone who wouldn't bust and steal a camera to pop it open and take the SD card so they could see what was hitting the water hole.

What has been your experiences with cameras? Those of you who have had them stolen, were they locked? I have a steel box for my older Bushnell so I will definitely use it. I will probably put it on the one water hole that is easily accessible. The other two, I'm debating about hiding or locking or more likely, locking and doing all I can to make them hard to see.

12-Jun-16
I'm new to trail cameras, but in setting some recently I found that it's not always possible to hide them as well as you'd like and take pictures of the area you want. Given that, I would go with extra security.

12-Jun-16
Why not both ? I lost a couple cameras several years ago to trespassers, but they were on my land. Haven't lost any since, but if I were putting them on public, I would take every precaution to keep them secure. Thieves hunt and hunters steal, it's a fact of life.

12-Jun-16
You could probably hide it with a lock pretty well, if I was you I would wrap the lock with some camo tape to keep the shine off of it.

12-Jun-16
I would use a lock, it takes a pretty determined person to hike back in with a hack saw. An added benefit of the more conspicuous lock is that you have in effect marked your territory. Not that you own the place but whoever goes through there and sees it knows they have competition

12-Jun-16
This is a very relevant topic. I've had cameras stolen on my own property already.

What these companies should do is mount the lights/lenses/sensors on cables and make them very small. The battery pack/processor in a separate box that can be well concealed.

Technologically it would be easy to do, they just haven't figured out the market is there yet, or they prefer to let them be stolen so they can then sell more cameras.

12-Jun-16
I set my cameras on public land with my climber tree stand with the camera pointed downward. Seldom does anyone look up

12-Jun-16
It wouldn't matter if you had an armed guard here in Oklahoma on public land they wouldn't last the weekend much less 3 months! Sad but true! Maybe nm folks raised a little better. I hope for your sake.

12-Jun-16
Unfortunately, you don't need a hacksaw. The saw blade on my Leatherman would easily cut off the plastic loop designed for connecting to the lock. Granted then the thief wouldn't be able to lock it but my guess is they wouldn't care since they don't have anything invested in the camera.

12-Jun-16
cnelk,

Yes, I am thinking about taking a couple of my climbing sticks and putting them 10-12' high. My only concern is that it shortens the camera's range and makes the angle more critical.

12-Jun-16
Two of mine accept the Python lock through the case and two are strap-on. I've been lucky to never have lost one. I try to hide the strap-on cams as best I can but have also put them in plain sight at waterholes for weeks at a time.

The Python is pretty substantial. Someone would need to bring in bolt cutters to cut that cable.

12-Jun-16
Hide them! Put them up 8' or so in a tree. Locking them only keeps the honest folks honest

12-Jun-16
Unfortunately, they don't have to cut the Python. They can cut the plastic on the cameras. I have Python's as well and will use them for my two cameras that have the holes for them. I'm just skeptical that will stop someone if they want the camera. (Or possibly more importantly the pictures that might be on the camera.)

12-Jun-16
I would have them locked in metal boxes with pad lock and lag bolted into the tree. This is how we lock ours. Have to bash in the camera, cut the tree down or saw/cut into the metal. Not full proof but better than nothing. We run 10-12 cameras per year on public and have done so for 4-5 years with none stolen. I don't bother trying to hide them. I run cams less than $100 and know the potential for theft is real.

12-Jun-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
My buddy goes even higher than I do with his trail cams and he gets some great pics

13-Jun-16
Hiding is the only way IMO. From my experience removing trespassing deer stands from a friend's property, bolt cutters or a shotgun will remove even the toughest cable locks.

13-Jun-16
Darrell, I am a Bowsite sponsor and make the Trail Cam-Guardian and Trail Cam Guardian Maxx (a heavier duty version of the original.) These replace the vinyl band with a steel band housed in a strong aluminum housing. They are extremelyy theft resistant. We have sold over 10,000 units and have not heard of one camera being stolen to date and believe me people love to tell you when you mess up now-a-days. They are available on Amazon or our website. If you get tired of theives finding and stealing your cameras it could be a great answer for you. We wish you well. Gary, Guardianhunting.com

13-Jun-16
I was bow hunting public land two years ago over a scrape where I had a camera for about a week. I heard a vehicle pull up about a quarter mile away at first I thought maybe small game hunters then I see two guys walking towards me through the woods. No gun or bows, but one brand new pair of bolt cutters! I stood up in my stand and tried to flatten out against a tree to hide, they walked right up to my camera with the cutters but spotted me. when I asked where they were going with them pretty Shiny bolt cutters, he stuttered a bit then of course he made up a story that he was going to get a stand he had And couldn't find his key l.... then he said they would get out of there before they messed up my hunt any farther and turned around and ran out of there quick. I pulled my stand and camera when I left that evening. When I got home I looked at the memory card and guess who had their picture taken earlier that morning? Yup them two went all the way to town and got bolt cutters just to come back and steal my camera! I hate a thief....

13-Jun-16
I have an interesting twist to this topic. I bought a cheap cellular trail camera (Scoutlook hc-300) for like $80. I have to pay $30 a month on a "pay as you go" carrier (I use AT&T). It keep high resolution pics on the trail cam but emails and texts me the photo within a few seconds. I haven't locked this one up. I think it's a deterrent enough to know that I already have "your picture" - so do you want to be a thief too?

The nice thing about this camera setup is that it saves me travel time (just to check photos). So I'm out of that section of the woods and I get "daily updates".

Now the setup on this camera is a bit wonky - find the manual online. Test it out completely at home. I ended up putting a small piece of window tint over the lense to prevent the photos from being washed out.

It's kind of fun to wake up in the morning and see a text message or two from the woods... or sitting in an afternoon meeting at work and getting a picture form it.

13-Jun-16
I hunt a lot in the Urban areas and have some great opportunities at great Whitetails. But with that comes a lot of losses. Some stolen some just busted to all heck. If the spot is right I will hide them at ground level but for the most part I go high and sacrifice a little coverage.

13-Jun-16
Always try to hide them. That being said, sometimes it isn't possible. Thieves will attack the most vulnerable point of your security system. Cables and locks are good for only a few seconds with a bolt cutter, and as noted, if they can cut through plastic they don't even need the cutters.

The next generation of cams should have a killswitch like they are putting on iphones.

13-Jun-16
I was bow hunting public land two years ago over a scrape where I had a camera for about a week. I heard a vehicle pull up about a quarter mile away at first I thought maybe small game hunters then I see two guys walking towards me through the woods. No gun or bows, but one brand new pair of bolt cutters! I stood up in my stand and tried to flatten out against a tree to hide, they walked right up to my camera with the cutters but spotted me. when I asked where they were going with them pretty Shiny bolt cutters, he stuttered a bit then of course he made up a story that he was going to get a stand he had And couldn't find his key l.... then he said they would get out of there before they messed up my hunt any farther and turned around and ran out of there quick. I pulled my stand and camera when I left that evening. When I got home I looked at the memory card and guess who had their picture taken earlier that morning? Yup them two went all the way to town and got bolt cutters just to come back and steal my camera! I hate a thief....

13-Jun-16
This is why I by Browning cameras. They have a really nice security box that you can lock with a python cable. Very good cameras that don't disappear if you secure them to the tree.

It's a shame that we have to deal with individuals who think stealing is ok. Very disappointing!

13-Jun-16
I lag bolt bear safe to tree, then python through that. I do try to hide them best I can, but as stated, often (at water) the only place for good pics is too obvious.

But I also try to not put cameras at locations I expect anyone to travel to (i.e. hike).

Carl

13-Jun-16
I'm a hide guy. First of all get the smallest cameras possible. They're nearly invisible. Haven't had one stolen. Locking to me only makes the camera more visible, and more susceptible to thievery. As stated earlier, so one needs to cut a lock. They can cut plastic, cut the tree down, etc. UNLESS you go all out, and encase the thing in metal or whatever and spend the equivalent of another trail camera in safety gear.

My personal philosophy is that I don't seem to get better quality in a $300 camera vs an $80 camera, so I buy $80 cameras (keep in mind I am in Canada everything is more expensive. Now that I have an $80 camera, do I want to spend $60 to lock it up? Nah, I'd rather have two cameras out and double the pictures.

A great tip I learned years ago from this site is the first thing I do is get rid of the mounting strap, and use a camo string. A small cam mounted with camo string is darn near invisible. I have hard times finding them, and I know where I left em. And we're talking eye level.

13-Jun-16

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I love these little guys

13-Jun-16
Good afternoon, APauls, would you please share the make and model of the small cameras you have there? That's a very good idea. Sincerely, nmaaron

13-Jun-16
APauls, please disregard. Upon closer inspection I can read "Primos." Good idea with using the smaller camo string. Thanks, nmaaron

14-Jun-16
I'm a fan of hiding. Like animals, almost nobody looks up as they are going through the forest. (unless somebody looking to hang a stand... heheheh)

You can't really "hide" them at ground level. Climbing sticks to 10 or 12 feet and a wooden wedge to angle em. Throw away the strap, horizontal things stand out like a sore thumb in a vertical world. Use an old (slightly) rusted piece of "baling" wire to tie on. I've even gone to the length of hot gluing sections of 1/4" drip line on edges of the case to insert whatever silk greenery matches the surroundings best. Easy to find at most craft stores. Just make sure they aren't near the sensors or can swing into them or you will fill up a card quick. =D

A light absorbing camo paint over everything but the silk landscaping helps as well. Many cameras may be a camo color, but the plastic itself can shine.

Have not had one stolen since for many years. Have had friends with cables, locks, even boxes, cameras not just stolen, but demolished to get the card as they know they were caught on camera. Destroyed is as bad as stolen.

14-Jun-16
Your best bet is to put cameras in places where no human will ever see them, a motivated human will undoubtedly get your camera if they see it and want it....a missing camera might indicate a place where humans are too prevalent to make for a good elk hunting spot.

14-Jun-16
Build yourself one of these, set 'em high, use screw-in steps or whatever to get above reach

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru5_r3y1dNI&list=LLx1H-NQj_MKbr1aFGmooPGQ&index=11

14-Jun-16
Anyone try installing a GPS tracker? I've been looking for one compact enough to conceal inside. Cops in my area use them extensively.

14-Jun-16
Interesting comment about the GPS tracker. My neighbor had her house robbed. Her laptop was stolen and the thief didn't bother to delete the software. She was alerted every time the computer was used. She knew where the computer was but the police could not or would not intervene as they didn't know if the thief sold the computer. I still don't understand this one.

14-Jun-16
nmaaron those are Primos Bullet Proof Cams. They run me anywhere from $65-$75 shipped to my home in CDN funds, so as an American I'm sure you could do even better. They only take pictures, but they've also been my most reliable cameras actually. I was worried about them disappearing as they're just plain green not camo, but believe me they are hard to spot! I guess as they are only the size of the palm of your hand.

14-Jun-16
Very nice and thanks! nmaaron

14-Jun-16
I climb and hide them. When I'm setting the camera up I bring a cordless drill and climb 8 to 10 feet off the ground, depending on the setup, using Treehopper bolts. When I go to check my cameras I just stick 3 or 4 bolts in my pocket. No ladders, climbers or screw in steps.

14-Jun-16
When I go looking for game cameras I just carry 3 or 4 bolts in my pocket ;o)

Seriously, some good ideas here.

I think it depends on the location. Many places like trails or funnels perhaps nobody would even be looking for a camera.

But here in arid NM at waterholes, the locations to set a cam are typically pretty limited and likely to be very visible, so bear safe and python lock are my preference.

I've had a couple of cameras disappear before I started using safes. But I also had one disappear with a safe.

I've been wanting to figure out how to fill some dead cameras with skunk scent and hang them in obvious locations :o)

14-Jun-16
Thanks for the input guys. Lots of good ideas. Unfortunately, I realized when I was 200 miles from home that I forgot to throw in my climbing sticks. :(

I'm going to go with a combination of trying to hide and locking them. One of my cameras is the Primos Bullet Proof. $50 shipped to me from Amazon so that one will likely just get hung with camo string and hope no one sees it. It will go in one of my spots that may not have another human there before I get back. (I know, I am wishful thinking, but I doubt there will be more than three or four there in next three months. If the camera survives, I'll likely have the exact number.)

Now I just have to get my parent's old house ready for the next renters in two days so I can squeeze a day to run to my area. Hopefully the renter moving out has been 90% honest and things will be mostly as they say. :)

14-Jun-16
A handful of cheap screw in steps picked up along your travels might be useful to get your cams up a little, just a thought.

Enjoy your scouting trip, I know it's been a long time coming, so savor it!

15-Jun-16
Been using bailing wire for years with good results. Agree with above posts the straps that come with the camera are trash.

19-Jun-16
Python locked and hidden as best I could is where I ended up. Here is a pic of one of my set ups. You have to look pretty close to find it. Hopefully it will still be there on Sept 15th when I get back to it. :)

19-Jun-16

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo
Now if the person who has the camera about 20 yards on the opposite side of this drinker will contact me we use each other's cameras to catch any morons who mess with the other one. Any chance you are on this? Its in a bear box lag bolted to a cedar and locked up tight. Very nice set up.

19-Jun-16
I tend to hide them at 8-10' up and replace the straps or bungee cords with black #14 copper wire to make them less visible.

19-Jun-16

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
Hot glue and some die cut camo blind material. I agree the straps are the most obvious. Some great ideas here.

19-Jun-16
They walk away around my house, not sure how many the neighbor has lost. He even went so far to put one up high to get a picture of the thief stealing the lower one. Good idea but nobody had seen him, or new him.

13-Sep-16
Two more days and I will find out how many of my 3 cameras are still where I left them. Hopefully at least a couple of them are and hopefully they have some good pics amongst the 1000s of pics of beef cattle, turkeys, and wind blown bushes. Not sure how or when I'm going to be able to look through them but I am sure going to try. :)

Hawkeye, did you neighbor post the pics online? Someone knows the thief.

13-Sep-16
I also camo my cameras. I use real tree bark glued on with Bondo.

Also, I now make use of all those defunct cameras and place one of those in a very conspicuous position as a decoy ...hoping the thief will see and steal that one, not thinking there will be a second good camera. I save the old batteries (less than 30% use) and put them into the old crappy cameras (just don't leave a good card in them). Try to position the good camera so as to get deer and thief photos.

13-Sep-16
Last year when I lost a stand, I started putting a camera up in a tree pointed at my stand and camera so I could get pictures of whoever stole my stuff. Nothing so far.

13-Sep-16
A bear got mine.

14-Sep-16
My total is 4 stolen cameras and one tree stand. All locked up and it really hard to get to places.

• Sitka Gear