Tater2 28-Jul-16
AZBUGLER 28-Jul-16
thomas 28-Jul-16
BOWUNTR 28-Jul-16
derbyhunter5 29-Jul-16
Tberg 29-Jul-16
Beendare 29-Jul-16
12-Jun-16
Hey guys, me and my brother drew the 6 a tag this year. Never been to az. Any input will be great. Breaking down the maps now. Sounds like there are plenty of elk there. Any advice on areas with less pressure. Doesn't look like much room to spike and get away from the crowds. Thank you

12-Jun-16
Was there with my Wyoming buddy in 2011 when he drew the tag and we were into elk 13 of the 14 days. He drew the tag again this year and we'll be there 2 or 3 days before the opener and the entire season if needed. It's hard to get away from all the people, but there are spots where you can go 2-3 miles from where there is any vehicular traffic allowed and have fun without a lot of human interference.

12-Jun-16
I don't have any direct knowledge to offer but have spent a ton of time in a unit close to there. That unit has the most elk of any in the state and the most tags I believe as well. My experience with hunting a unit with similar situation is concentrate on finding elk where there is elk there will be people . Spend your time glassing find elk that way. One other thing is to have a realistic understanding of the type of hunt this is. Most of he unit will have tons of people and is not at all a wilderness type hunt. Weekends will be a mad house . The last week of the hunt is the best most people pack up the last Sunday am and head home . Also set your goals based on the year and amount of moisture. Be positive and good luck. Sorry this is so random

12-Jun-16
I would have to disagree somewhat with what HANS1 mentioned in that we didn't run into more than 4 or 5 people while out in the field the entire two weeks we hunted it in 2011. Even though there are a lot of tags issued it's a huge unit and you can have fun and get away from people if you play your cards right.

13-Jun-16

shedhead's embedded Photo
shedhead's embedded Photo
Congrats on the tag youll have a great hunt. Hunt the first 3 and the last 4 days- on otherwords the whole season. Be mobile with your camp. Dont plan on hunting waterholes- it rained the first 11 days of our 2014 hunt. They were watering in tire ruts in the road. Expect to have tire troubles. Roads are rough as hell. When the pressure hits the elk will be in the oddest places- they are very very used to normal camping type forest activities. Good luck!!!

13-Jun-16
Beautiful bull you got there shedhead. We actually had rain the first nine days of our hunt in 2011, as it's not uncommon there that time of the year. We actually ended up with a one acre lake out in front of our popup camper that year! I also agree 100% with your road assessment and if a guy does much driving off the main roads he better have some heavy duty 10 ply tires along with an air compressor and repair kit. People that have good road tires get fooled real quick when those type get torn to pieces easily on the roads in an area like that.

15-Jun-16
If you are interested in a guide or fully outfitted Contact us at Ward's Outfitters we can help you.

18-Jun-16

Brown Bear's embedded Photo
Brown Bear's embedded Photo
Killed this bull in 6a last year there are nice bulls in the unit .

28-Jul-16
Nice Bulls!!!! Wow. How are the roads there? Heard that some could be rough.

28-Jul-16
Great unit. Way too many tags in it. That said, there are a ridiculous amount of elk. If I had the tag I would be 2-3 miles in to one of the quiet areas. They will get some pressure but most will hike in at first light. Rattlesnake area gets less pressure than the Lake Mary area. Another option would be Clear Creek. By and large the lower elevations will have less pressure than the upper elevations.

28-Jul-16
Had this hunt last yr. Those are some damn fine elk! I would venture to say those two elk for 6A are top end. Very nice Bulls! I actually think sitting water could be very productive. The thing is with 90% of the tanks in 6A, a road goes to them. U need to find the remote tanks w/o good access. And that goes for the overall hunting too. Find the most remote spots u can. The secret to 6A is that most everyone hunting will be in big canvas tent, rv's, campers, etc. They can't go too far based off their camping spots. Figure that out and u got it whipped. And yes u better have a ATV with camp on the back if u want to actually be where the elk are. The roads are real Kidney busters to say the least.

28-Jul-16

BOWUNTR's embedded Photo
BOWUNTR's embedded Photo

29-Jul-16
I hunted 5bs last year. It's right across highway from 6a. If you have access to a Ranger or razor I would take over atv. Be prepared for people to show no respect to you if your on a water hole or walking up trail. Need a forest service map as well to show road closures. This didn't seem to stop to many people from traveling closed road but I didn't want any fines.

29-Jul-16

Tberg's Link
Good unit with a lot of elk. Get some good maps from Game Planner or Flt line and you should be good to go. They're both AZ guys and know the area. Give them a call.

29-Jul-16
Road closure map is a joke...I hunted 11M next to 6A and nobody respected those road closures

• Sitka Gear