Buckskin 14-Jun-16
TD 14-Jun-16
WV Mountaineer 14-Jun-16
Rick M 14-Jun-16
coelker 15-Jun-16
Buckskin 15-Jun-16
md5252 15-Jun-16
13-Jun-16
I'm looking for a good sleeping bag for my first colorado backpack elk hunt. Does anybody have experience with the eddie bauer karakoram bags? they are lightweight, have 850 goose down fill and have the option of waterproof down. I've looked at western mountaineering but I don't think they offer waterproof down and they are more expensive.

14-Jun-16
Buckskin, I don't have any experience with that particular bag and I have not used the newer waterproof down. But I have had experience with both damp and wet traditional down bags. Not good. After that, others suggested to me that I go with a synthetic bag if there is a possibility of getting it wet. I have gone that route and not regretted it. There may be others that can give a thumbs up report on the waterproof down bags though.

14-Jun-16
I was looking into a new sleeping bag as well. What I have been told was that the new waterproof down in 700+ fill is better and will last longer than a synthetic (that was from someone who had both and did a bunch of backpacking). I would like to hear from others though.

14-Jun-16
I would not buy squat fron Eddie Bauer because of there decision to discontinue the use of Coyote fur as trim on the coats in there clothing line due to there bowing to pressure from anti hunting, anti fur groups.

14-Jun-16

14-Jun-16
Thanks guys, I didn't know about the coyote fur deal with eddie bauer. Seems pretty ridiculous since they're stuffing their sleeping bags with goose down and using leather in many other products. The other option I'm considering is the enlightened equipment quilts but it seems like you would lose a lot of heat while using one since it's not totally enclosed

14-Jun-16
I'm a little surprised Eddie Bauer was cheaper than, well, anything.....

I've used a WM bag a few years in many conditions... never got the down wet in any of them. The newer cover materials are much better than they used to be.

Unless I was hunting a very wet place like coastal AK I'd go for the weight savings for backpacking, better thermal qualities and go high quality down bag. In comparison, CO is a pretty dry place. A bit of care and it shouldn't be an issue.

Eddie Bauer I have no idea though.

14-Jun-16
A good Climashield Apex bag will compress nearly as small, weigh just a few ounces more, dry 25,000 times quicker, than any down bag.

There is no such thing as water proof down either. That's a fact. It's impossible. There is a water resistant down being used now but, from what I've read on the back packing forums, laundering is an issue as it cleans the water resistance off the down.

Down is hard to beat for heat to weight ratio. But, the new synthetics like Primaloft and Climashield are too. The big difference is the price. You gotta decide if that is a factor. For me, the cons of wet down, that won't dry unless you have a hot dry heat source, make the synthetics a better deal. God Bless

14-Jun-16
Unless I am in a rain forest I will always use a down bag. Use a light weight dry bag, common sense and down is where it is at for me. Eddie Bauer and quality hunting gear don't go together in my opinion.

15-Jun-16
I can not comment about the new bags etc. But about 8 years ago I picked up an Eddie Bauer Down bag at a yard sale for $3.00. It has been the best dang sleeping bag. It is warm, light and I have used it for many nights and now my 6 year old has decided it is his.

If the new ones are as good, I would think it will work well!

15-Jun-16
I guess they've got new people in charge of their first ascent line of gear which includes their sleeping bags, and the reviews suggest it is quality stuff. The specs are good but I'd like to here from somebody who has actually used them.

15-Jun-16
I used one from REI and it was awesome. Affordable too

• Sitka Gear