500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

Contact/Estrus Buzz?
Sitka Gear
Contact/Estrus Buzz?
Elk
Contributors to this thread:
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
AZBUGLER 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
Inshart 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
otcWill 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 16-Jun-16
cnelk 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
HUNT MAN 17-Jun-16
Jaquomo 17-Jun-16
cnelk 17-Jun-16
ELKMAN 17-Jun-16
Chasewild 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
ohiohunter 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
HUNT MAN 17-Jun-16
Toby 17-Jun-16
Sivart 17-Jun-16
cnelk 17-Jun-16
swede 17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-16
Scar Finga 17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-16
Scar Finga 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
swede 17-Jun-16
butcherboy 17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter 17-Jun-16
cnelk 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 17-Jun-16
ElkNut1 18-Jun-16
cnelk 18-Jun-16
ElkNut1 18-Jun-16
Chief 419 18-Jun-16
loopmtz 18-Jun-16
Sivart 18-Jun-16
swede 18-Jun-16
ElkNut1 18-Jun-16
dodie 18-Jun-16
rick allison 19-Jun-16
ELKMAN 19-Jun-16
ElkNut1 19-Jun-16
ElkNut1 19-Jun-16
swede 19-Jun-16
>>>---WW----> 19-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
Jaquomo 20-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
Jaquomo 20-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
swede 20-Jun-16
Jaquomo 20-Jun-16
Jaquomo 20-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
Scar Finga 20-Jun-16
ElkNut1 20-Jun-16
westaner 21-Jun-16
Scar Finga 21-Jun-16
ElkNut1 21-Jun-16
16-Jun-16
How many have heard this sound given by elk & what months have you heard it in? Thanks!

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
Honestly.....never.

16-Jun-16

16-Jun-16
Heard a buzz in September once, right before a freakin' hornet made contact wth the middle of my forehead. Hurt like heck!

16-Jun-16

ElkNut1 's Link
Hey no problem guys! It appears some of you haven't heard this sound or at least that you can't remember! This is a sound I hear every year especially when I'm out scouting from June through Aug. It helps to know what to listen for & it's meaning.

We hunt OTC Public Land DIY on our elk hunts so knowing sounds as this & when to use it is one that comes in handy now & then. With so many hunters out there these days it's great to use sounds that others do not, it helps sell us as a real elk to the elk. We have called in quite a few cows & bulls with this sound!

Here's clip of it, click on Supporting Link above!

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
Never heard that before. Is that an actual Elk making that noise of a human?

16-Jun-16
Didn't know cows were in "estrus" in July and August?

16-Jun-16
Inshart, that was a real elk!

Jaquomo, they aren't! This is why I show Contact/Estrus Buzz. The phrase Estrus can be misleading this is why I use Contact instead. It's more correct as a Contact sound over Estrus, thanks for noticing that.

The real importance here is understanding it's meaning to the elk & when & why it's used. Knowing this helps us as hunters to use this sound at exactly the right time! I've called lots of elk back with this one sound, I wouldn't be in the woods without it!

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
I've heard it throughout the summer and through September. I hear it when cows get agitated or excited. I've heard them do this many times after a herd gets bumped(not busted) and they're calming down a bit. "Excited mew" might be a better term

16-Jun-16
Wondering why you named it the "Estrus Buzz" before you renamed it the "Contact Buzz"?

Will nailed it. Cows make it all year round.

16-Jun-16
Yes, it's a year around sound like most elk sounds, that's the point, it's a communication sound & nothing more!

At no time have I believed this was a Breeding Sound, I've written about this sound for years & have always said it was for contact purposes. The phrase Estrus was used because Sept is the time of year most hunters hear it. Why? Because most hunters are not in the woods every month of the year. I agree the name needed changed & this is why I'm doing it.

octWill, is close & I appreciate his comment, this however is not an excited mew or whine that one may hear under different circumstances. This elk sound has a gravely or buzz tone to it! It is used mainly by a lead cow or a cow with a calf or two. As these elk move to & fro from place to place they can get out of each others sight so you will hear this sound giving others a direction to come back too such as a mother letting her child know where she is if out of sight.

These elk know each other by their sound & under that situation contact can be had. Elk also can use this sound with more intensity as they seek out other elk they know are nearby by sound or seen at a distance as in the sound clip I shared.

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
OMG.

16-Jun-16
The hole gets deeper, and deeper, and deeper,......

16-Jun-16
Just a matter of time...

16-Jun-16
I only hear it from a cow with three calves.

I've heard transsexual bulls make that sound during their first menstrual cycles, too.

16-Jun-16

What's really interesting here is Wyobull & Jaq had not heard of this sound an hour ago & now all of a sudden they are authorities! Bring it boys, I can play this game! (grin)

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
Elknut, we hear this sound all the time. It has nothing to do with "estrus" as you claimed for years before declaring yourself the "Leading Expert" and changing it to "Contact Buzz. Go back and read some of your old posts on other idiotic threads.

I swear, you are so full of it you must use toilet paper to wipe your eyes.

16-Jun-16
Lou, once again you are full of B/S. I read your post before you deleted it. You mentioned that this was a made up sound that did not exist & if it did it was for monetary gains!

Once in a while you have great info to share you really do, yet at other times as this you talk out your ass. You most likely have not heard this sound & if you did you had no clue as to its message. It's about time you listen for once & learn something! I'm not a know it all but I've put in over 35 years with documented studies & know enough to be dangerous to the elk population! You may pull the wool over some of these guys eyes with your off colored comments but it will be a cold day in hell before you do it with me!

ElkNut1

16-Jun-16
I posted that is never heard an "estrus buzz" because it doesn't exist. You made up the term. Then enough people called you out on it over the the years that you changed the term to "Contact Buzz".

Yeah, in over 40 years of living in the elk woods and spending the whole season living with and studying elk I've never heard it? Right. I knew it had nothing to do with the estrus cycle back when you first came up with that claim. We all did. Biologists agree.

Your mission is to pull the wool over the eyes of inexperienced hunters and sell your BS. You know it and and most of the rest of us know it. Sometimes you have good information to share but it gets lost in the nonsense.

Even though you claim to be the "Leading Expert In The Elk Hunting Field", real serious elk hunters know better. Give the "expert" crap a break.

17-Jun-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Lou, now you claim I said the Contact/Estrus Buzz had to do with the breeding cycle of a cow! At no time was this the case. You keep talking in circles sir & hope others latch on to it. Biologist aren't even aware of this sound for the most part, who do you think you're kidding? I do my homework & you keep shooting from the hip hoping some of your mud sticks to the wall.

You still have a hard on for me because I had you deleted from the former ElkNut Forum for being a jerk sorta like you are now, you & cnelk were a threat to the health of the forum because of your off color comments & posts. You were both warned but you both felt you were invincible & would have no repercussions for your actions, you were both wrong, it was over two years ago bud, grow up & get over it!

As far as the Contact /Estrus Buzz sound goes I am spot on, why? Because I've done years of studies on it as well as other sounds, you've done none! You can pooh pooh all you want on them because of your arrogance but in your heart you know I am spot on! Thanks for your time!

Here's a great photo & resume' from you when you had an honest heart!

ElkNut1

17-Jun-16
Hmm interesting very interesting . Hunt

17-Jun-16
Yep, you know more than elk biologists with doctorate degrees who live with the elk year round. You are amazing!

That endorsement was when you were a different person, when I was trying to help you get your business going. It was before you started to believe your own hype and tried to pass yourself off as something you are not.

I've done no studies on elk vocalizations? In my entire life of seriously hunting, guiding and studying elk year round after five years of college and my field work as a professional naturalist? False accusations must come naturally to you these days, since you've changed from a humble man who was willing to learn from others.

I'm past your booting us off your forum, and would appreciate it if you would stop lying about why. It was your sandbox and you didn't have room for any elk hunters who knew more than you claimed to know. Fine, that was your prerogative. My problem is when you try to pass BS off as fact, continually denigrate the opinions of other experienced elk bowhunters as you did to Will on this thread, and pretend that you know everything about everything. You don't.

Look up the word "estrus". You can Google it. You invented the term "estrus buzz", then argued with knowledgable elk experts about it on other threads you started. If you're so educated in the ways of elk you would know it was bogus, unrelated to anything having to do with the cycle. Why do you keep calling it that?

Good Lord, man. You aren't the "Leading Expert" of anything except tooting your own horn. Look at yourself in the mirror sometime.

17-Jun-16
This is what I know. Elk hunting can be hard and some people feed off the frustration of the inexperienced to make a dollar. They give them hope that there's a magical solution and all one has to do is spend more money on their products.

Then there are people that just give tips and share experiences and let the in-experienced take what they want to use. For free.

17-Jun-16
100% with Jaq and Wyobull, just glad to see I'm not the only one laughing when the "expert" speaks... ;-)

17-Jun-16
Definitely heard this during the summer.

But, I've heard it exponentially more during the fall -- which makes good sense given the increase in rut activity and changing herd dynamics.

I don't agree -- at all -- that this is a "mom gathering her straying child" call or another rigid term that helps you understand it.

Rather, the times I've heard it are when the herd is agitated. The rest of the minutiae -- "buzz this" "estrus that," "lead cow going to her favorite watering hole" etc. -- are just feeble attempts to simplify and monetize your experience.

Ease up on the "preachy" tone Elknut and you'll likely get a more positive response. I'm not saying you don't have anything to offer, but your delivery leaves a sour aftertaste.

As an aside, Steve Chappell calls it uses the word "estrus" to signify the same call :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ZN6V4T8Bg

17-Jun-16

ElkNut1 's Link
For those curious about this Contact Buzz & it's use by elk & when it's best utilized by us as hunters here's some additional info that may help you out!

Elk will use this Buzz in addition to mews & whines as shown in the sound clip. As you heard on the clip this buzz is quite unusual in tone & easily separates itself as a classic cow mew. This is because it sends a specific message to other elk. As I mentioned above you will hear it when elk in the group get out too far away from one another, it can also be heard by cows looking for the other elk they've heard & know are in the area so they can catch up to them. This sound requires action from other elk, mews & whines are more I'm here & you're there, it's more social elk talk. Lot's of clips on youtube to verify this sound & it's use!

I've used this Contact Buzz in countless situations over the years, I've used it for location purposes instead of a Location Bugle, you never know when a bull or cow will give away their location with this Buzz when they wouldn't respond to a bugle especially on those heavily hunted OTC units.

Mainly I use it when I've either spotted elk well out front & out of bowrange, I allow the elk to get into cover, I move in their direction where I have cover & good wind for their return then call these elk right back with this Contact Buzz mixing in a few mews & whines. Works pretty darned good & is lots of fun!

As far as a cow using an Excited Mew it would generally be used in a situation such as a cow accepting an invite to a bull who's trying to call her to him. In many cases one or more cows will give off a rapid style louder than normal mew or whine as they head to the bull trying to call them to the group. I've used this with great success heading right to a bull calling me to him as I imitate this cow using excited mews & whines. Lot's of ways to skin a cat!

We need all these various ways & many others to have consistent success on our OTC Public Land hunts.

For any interested, call your local Game Biologist & ask them if they know this sound, if they say yes ask them what it means & when elk use it! Good luck! (grin)

Here's a video clip of this sound, it's heard near & a bit after the 3 minute mark!

ElkNut1

17-Jun-16
Can't we all get along? Like alligators and gorillas.

17-Jun-16
Ohio, LOL!! Sounds good to me! (grin)

Chasewild, thanks for the tip on sounding preachy! Was certainly not my intent. Thanks!

As far as hearing & watching elk use the Contact Buzz I've done this for many years. I've seen this sound used dozens of times over the years under a variety of situations & different times of the year. I have a pretty fair handle on when it's used & why. As when talking about any sound an elk makes it's best to have multiple encounters with all types of elk to get a well rounded meaning. One or two encounters generally don't cut it, I'm sure you would agree!

There is certainly a sense of agitation or uneasiness when this Buzz is used, this is why it's an action sound, it requires a response or action from other elk whether it's from a calf, cow or bull. The above times of use I mentioned above are merely examples when it could be used or heard by elk.

Bottom line here is it's useful to us hunters in a variety of situations that should be considered. This sound would be dynamite for a Treestand hunter! Thanks!

ElkNut1

17-Jun-16
I love a good contact buzz!!

17-Jun-16
I watched a nice bull dogging a cow for 15 minutes and she was making this buzz every few seconds. This was mid-September.

17-Jun-16
Paul,

Thanks for the link. I have always wondered what the buzz sound actually sounded like. We appreciate all of your great content. Your info is gold............

17-Jun-16
My GF came over for supper last night. We ate a nice dinner and then had a couple glasses of wine.

After a few minutes I made contact and the estrus buzz was on!

There ya go. Contact Estrus Buzz. In June.

17-Jun-16
To be honest, I don't think I have ever heard an elk make a buzz. I can not replicate all the crazy sounds I hear coming out of a herd when one is being bred, but there was no buzz. It is possible I have heard the buzz at other times but did not recognize it as an elk sound.

17-Jun-16
"What's really interesting here is Wyobull & Jaq had not heard of this sound an hour ago & now all of a sudden they are authorities! Bring it boys"

Ok, let's play. Please enlighten me as to when I claimed to be an authority on this sound, or any other for that matter. My post was in response to your rather interesting attempt to explain why you now refer to this sound as a contact buzz rather than an estrus buzz.

You, OTOH, profess to have this sound all figured out. Hell, on a sound you claim biologists aren't even aware of, no less. Now, that's quite impressive.

Of course, this is the same call you started a similar thread on a few years ago. The same call you now say you hear every year. Let me refresh your memory.

"This is a rare sound to be witnessed. It's not that cows don't use it it's a sound that is rarely seen or heard though."

"I have said it was a rare sound. I've heard it 4-5 times in all my years of studies & hunts!"

Funny, you claimed to be all seeing, all knowing on this sound even back then, even though you admit you'd only heard the sound 4-5 times.

You keep saying you've never associated this sound with estrus, even though you called it estrus buzz. You want to keep pounding Jaq over the head with that claim?

"...this sound is generally used or heard during the "rutting phases"...it's more the "time frame" it's heard as in Aug-Sept-Oct, which are well known and documented rutting times!"

Want to keep playing?

As Jaq said, you have a lot of experience and knowledge. The problem is, it's hard to separate the BS from the useful stuff. As the saying goes, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance...". You and I have had the same conversation about the exact same problem Chasewild brought up. You gave me the exact same answer you gave him. Unfortunately, you just can't help yourself.

Those that are inexperienced and thirsting for knowledge, any knowledge, will keep kneeling at the altar of the almighty Elknut. Those that are experienced and know better....know better.

BTW Brad, in a couple weeks it'll be July. You haven't lived till you've experienced the Independence Buzz!

17-Jun-16
And this gentlemen is why we will always lose to the Anti Hunters! You are fighting and degrading each other over an F'n Buzz! Who cares!!!!!! You are either good at calling and killing elk or your not! Unfortanetly, I am not very good:) Relax! Drink a beer, give each other a hug! We are all brothers! just because you disagree, doesnt make you right! and that applies to all of you that spit venom!

Scar.

Go ahead... attack me now... It dont matter, bacause you dont! in the end, non this B.S. really matters!

17-Jun-16
If a disagreement over a damn buzz will be our demise when it comes to the anti's, we're in a hell of alot more trouble than any of us would care to think. BTW, I've had the pleasure of meeting alot of great people through Bowsite that share my hunting passion, but I only have one brother.

17-Jun-16
Scar Finga, I apologize for my last post. I understand your intent. The problem lies with a certain individual that has managed to insult, disrespect, and alienate over the years. For that, I will not apologize

17-Jun-16
wyobullshooter,

Brother, we are in trouble! our way of life and our beliefs are being attacked from every angle! I don't care what you hunt with or feel/ think/ believe is the better product or whatever... If we don't unite, we are screwed! Little by little it is all going to dissolve! the only chance we stand is if we unite and fight the Anti's! as the fight us, UNITED, WITH ONE GOAL!

17-Jun-16
Wyobull, twist it all you'd like. It's true years ago I had not heard the Buzz sound as frequent as I have the last several years. I'm sure it's because I had not focused on it or looked for it years ago like I do now. This last year alone I heard it a 1/2 dozen times & yes since I started focusing on it more these days I've heard this sound many times now over the last several years. Is this good or bad?

The point of the discussion isn't how many times I or anyone has heard this sound it's what it means & how we can use it during our elk hunts. That is what's most important.

The info you took time to dig up is from years past, the meaning has not changed & you know it, it's the name I've felt that needs changing so as not to confuse others. It's pretty simple. I've explained the Estrus part of the phrase many times but you failed to note that.

No problem playing the game, I've not back tracked anywhere, the definition of the Contact Buzz is still exactly the same! You love pulling things out of context & then putting your spin on it, go right ahead sir.

Most game biologist are into herd management, feed & water in areas that support elk populations. They are into bull to cow ratios that an area can support, they could care less about Elk Sounds & their meanings. Call them & see for yourself instead of spouting off accusations you know little about!

Bottom line here is I enjoy sharing info with other hunters that may up their success rate especially on OTC Public Land DIY hunts. I do not mislead hunters, I share info that is solid & can be counted on not a bunch of fluff they you claim. Our records of helping others speak for itself, is this not true?

ElkNut1

17-Jun-16
Disagreeing with another hunter is not aiding the anti-hunters. It does not matter if we agree on elk hunting tactics or personalities. That is never the issue. I appears to me there are some that worship Elknut and some hate his guts plus everything in between. I do not think I am exaggerating. The truth is that his system works well in places and not so well in others. Now where did that buzz discussion go?

17-Jun-16
Contact buzz? Seriously? That's what you are calling it? Sounds to me like a growl mew. Maybe a growl contact estrus buzz whine! Lol

17-Jun-16
Elknut, I didn't twist one damn thing around. Those are your words...period. You come up with some catchy buzzword (pun intended) and try to convince the world you've broken the elk talk code. Then, when someone that knows better calls you out on it, you change the buzzword and then proclaim someone's twisting your words.

MY point is, you claim to have all the answers to all things elk, even if you've only been exposed to it 4-5 times. You dismiss anyone that doesn't agree with your opinion as being inexperienced, or just doesn't get it. You cannot stand the fact others have just as much or more experience, and as much success, as yourself. Instead of complimenting the information each could contribute, you attempt to belittle anyone that dares disagree with your opinion.

As far as your contact/estrus buzz, or whatever you decide to call it next week, it's a mew. Call it what you want, but it's a mew. Depending on what's going on with that particular elk at that particular time, it may differ in tone, intensity, inflection, volume, and emotion, but it's a mew nonetheless. It's not rocket science, and it's certainly not some new communication utterance you've discovered.

As far as game biologists not having a clue, I'm sure Chris Roe would have a word or two to say about that absurd claim. You just keep on thinking you're the greatest thing that ever came along. As I said before, those that know better...know better.

17-Jun-16
butcherboy, the name is really irrelevant, it's the sound & its use is what's important to us elk hunters. It is a very different cow sound for sure. Thanks!

Wyobull, Chris Roe is the exception for sure, that is why I stated above that it's Most game biologist that are unfamiliar with Elk Sounds & especially the Contact Buzz.

No sir, I do not have all the answers but what I do know & have studied I freely share here & many other hunting sites. I still learn things from elk every year & have a blast doing it at 61, I just hope the good lord allows me a few more good years to enjoy my passion in life!

As far as the situations I've heard it in over the years it's probably closer to 15 or so, that's quite a few & does give a respectable evaluation in its use & when it is used. I've not counted them but it's enough to come to a respectable conclusion, plus I've used this sound with decent success.

No sir, this Contact Buzz is nothing new, I wrote about it in the PlayBook 7-8 years ago & it's explanation. This is just another sound of many that I've shared here over the years! This sound is unique & cows use it under specific situations just as they would use a re-gathering mew, separated mew, nervous grunt, pleads, etc. They all have their place & when used at the right time can be very effective towards the elk.

This is what we all strive for no matter where we hunt, we want to be as effective an elk hunter as possible. This Buzz can help lead hunters to use a sound they had not considered in the past, it's about passing it on, it's not new but may be new to ones who have not considered it in the past!

ElkNut1

17-Jun-16
Holy crap! Now it's evolved from most game biologists aren't aware of a contact/estrus buzz to where now most game biologists are unfamiliar with elk sounds, period?!

As I stated earlier, "The hole gets deeper, and deeper, and deeper,......"

I looked up the term Narcissistic Personality Disorder and wasn't a bit surprised to see your picture there.

17-Jun-16
Elknut

If you think 35 years of 'documented studies' means pirating elk sounds from the internet to put on your CD to sell is pure BS.

[Yeah, I know the truth]

Funny how the world is round and when it bites you its in the a$$

Grow up yourself & get some new material - your old rawhide 'buzz' stuff, pics and playbook are outdated. But when your minions stroke your ego why should you?

17-Jun-16
As I mentioned, most game biologist are not aware of most elk sounds, sure they hear sounds but cannot define most of them, please call several of them in different states & ask questions, you will see for yourself, don't just assume because they are biologist that they can readily explain a variety of elk sounds. Their jobs do not require elk vocalization explained & understood. Thanks!

Elk sounds can be defined & each one used by the elk send out a message, the ones used for a specific situation send out a specific message to their counterparts. This is all the Contact Buzz is doing, nothing more & nothing less. Learn when elk use it & why & you can do the same as the need arises, of course this can apply to all elk sounds. Good luck to you!

ElkNut1

18-Jun-16
It's funny isn't it! Always the same 3 , Cnelk, Jaq & Wyobull that find it necessary to stalk the threads I've started to undermine thoughts shared. You 3 need to get a life & move forward. You do not see me stalking your threads to undermine your thoughts in any way but you guys have some agenda or chest pounding to do no matter what I write about. Give it a rest guys!

ElkNut1

18-Jun-16
Elknut

I cant speak for the other 2 you mentioned but I will speak for myself.

I dont stalk your threads. Elk hunting is a passion of mine and it just so happens that you dominate any thread elk thread that comes along with your 'know - it - all' attitude and mini novels posts.

When I do post on your threads, I hope to create a balance between your BS and Reality because there is a big difference. Some Newbies may not recognize it, but that's understandable.

Archery elk hunting isnt all that hard sometimes. Hell, even I can kill elk every year so it cant be that difficult! Sometimes even 2!

What people need to know is the basics and fundamentals. Then let them build on what they learn and want to use. There is no 'one way' to hunt or call elk. Dont confuse them.

I have a life and I move forward everyday. But I also have more dirt on you that I will expose if necessary

Grin!

18-Jun-16
I can appreciate that you have a passion for elk hunting as many here do. But let's not it obscure your vision & toss out accusations at ones when they are not true. I don't pirate anything & you know it. We've had ElkNut Outdoors now for I believe is 18 years. Before that is when I started diving into elk sounds & defining them. Not one sound but all the sounds I could hear & get my hands on. Talking about the Contact/Estrus Buzz is just another sound not a new sound.

I did not come up with the name no more that I came up with Grunt, Bugle, Mew, Whine, etc. I simply started studying these various sounds & giving meaning to them. This means when & why elk use these specific sounds. We started applying them in our elk hunts as soon as we started bowhunting elk 26 years ago, this season will be the 26th, in that time my son & I have put quite a few elk down on OTC Public Land hunts. We attribute so much of this success to understanding the sounds elk make

The Internet has been a huge asset to finding these sounds of interest, you can head to youtube & go over 100's of clips of about any sound you'd like & see actual settings of these sounds along with what we've found & personally seen in the field. It's all apart of studying like a student would study for a test.

The Estrus Buzz or Scream caught my attention around 8-10 years ago when Steve Chappel talked about it being a Breeding Sound that attracted bulls. I had heard this sound but really hadn't given it much thought until that time. From then on I started seeing when & why this sound was used by the elk. I found it is not a breeding sound but more a Contact sound among themselves. This was important to me because now I could confidently employ this sound during our hunts & see how it would work, it worked great! Like any elk sound it has its time & place!

A couple years ago WW mentioned to me about about changing the name from Estrus Buzz to Contact Buzz, I liked the name & that's where the Contact came from, it's just taken me a while for it to stick! (grin) Thanks WW.

This Thread was about this sounds use not where it derived from, but now you know, there's no hidden passageway or secret here! (grin) I hope a few out here realize this is a great sound to use, don't let a little negative talk keep you from learning & trying it out! This sound can be made with a mouth reed or bite & blow cow call. Make sure to use your throat in a gravelly tone as your tongue contacts the mouth reed, play with it some & you'll get a good feel for it.

ElkNut1

18-Jun-16
I just want to draw my Montana elk tag next year :)

18-Jun-16
Great stuff, thanks for sharing Elkknut!

Years ago when I lived in the mountains we had a heard of elk on our property for the better part of the year especially during calving season. I heard this sound a lot and before I watched the interactions of the cows, I thought we had a zoo in our fields. It was great to watch and learn. You are spot on no matter who agrees with your naming of it!

18-Jun-16
Paul, we appreciate all of your info and insight. Please keep it up, and don't let the trolls get to you.

I also want to shout out your great customer service. Anyone that truly knows Paul, knows what a stand up guy he is.

18-Jun-16
We have talked all around the subject and harassed Elknut way past the point of decency. So when and how would a hunter use the buzz to their advantage?

18-Jun-16
Guys, thanks for your comments & PM's. It's great to see there are a those that want to up their game! Elk hunting can be tough especially for those into into it a few short years, we can all benefit as we strive to learn all we can.

swede, the Contact Buzz is a sound that requires response or action from other elk unlike social cow calls. This in itself can be powerful draw to other elk since elk are herd animals. This sound can be used on its own or as a part of elk chatter in a Blind/Cold Calling setup. I've called both cows & bulls in with these setups. Injecting a Contact Buzz into your normal mix of cow calling can really sell this method since nearly no hunters today do this. This can be huge when hunting heavily pressured public lands.

I also use this Contact Buzz as a Locator, I've had both bulls & cows respond to this sound thus giving their position away. Once that happens I move in their direction & work them accordingly.

This sound is also very effective in bringing elk right back down a trail where they were just at. On several occasions I've brought back elk that were both seen & allowed to get out of sight before calling as well as calling in areas with very fresh sign & strong elk odor showing they were just there passing thru so knew they should still be within earshot.

In most these situations I've called from 5- 15 minutes before elk showed up. Too, these elk came in silent so hunters need to have their heads on a slow swivel when calling & not moving around or rooting through their packs! Have confidence elk will show!

Treestand hunters can use this sound as well just like they were on the ground utilizing a Cold Calling setup. Thanks!

ElkNut1

18-Jun-16
I am no troll...no fan of elknut either

19-Jun-16
Well, there goes 20 minutes of my life I can't get back...

19-Jun-16
But now you know what a "Contact Fuzz" is! You will never kill an Elk without the knowledge of the Fuzz! Or was it Buzz? What ever the kids are calling it this week, IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY if you are going to kill and Elk this year... ;-)

19-Jun-16
Well of course! You should know by now you can't kill elk without having a Buzz, geez where ya been! (grin)

ElkNut1

19-Jun-16
Rick, you married, if so you should be used of losing 20 minutes of nonsense every morning! (grin)

ElkNut1

19-Jun-16
Thanks Paul for the explanation of when and where to use the buzz. Now my 20 minutes were not a waste.

BTW: Didn't you post a link to a you Tube video a couple of years ago, showing a calf or yearling making the buzz, as it was searching for mama? It would go and make the buzz that lasted about a second or two then continue running, stopping, making the buzz and searching.

19-Jun-16

Error Occurred While Processing Request The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request

Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.

Note: If you wish to use an absolute template path (for example, template="/mypath/index.cfm") with CFINCLUDE, you must create a mapping for the path using the ColdFusion Administrator. Or, you can use per-application settings to specify mappings specific to this application by specifying a mappings struct to THIS.mappings in Application.cfc.
Using relative paths (for example, template="index.cfm" or template="../index.cfm") does not require the creation of any special mappings. It is therefore recommended that you use relative paths with CFINCLUDE whenever possible.

The error occurred in D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1058
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 476
Called from D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm: line 1
1056 : <h3>Blocked By Thread Owner</h3>
1057 : <P>#ParagraphFormat(Body)#</P>
1058 : <cfelseif (ThreadOwnerRemove)eq 1><cfinclude template="ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm">
1059 : 
1060 : <cfelse>

Resources:

Browser   claudebot
Remote Address   172.70.42.242
Referrer   http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=5&threadid=454143&MESSAGES=76&FF=5
Date/Time   28-Mar-24 11:17 AM
Stack Trace
at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476) at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)

coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag$NoSuchIncludeTemplateException: Could not find the included template ThreadOwnerRemovedReplacetText.cfm.
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.setTemplate(IncludeTag.java:349)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor13(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1058)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020._factor14(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:476)
	at cfthread2ecfm1423711020.runPage(D:\Bowsite\BOWSITE\tf\bgforums\thread.cfm:1)
	at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:231)
	at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:416)
	at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
	at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:363)
	at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
	at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
	at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:87)
	at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
	at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
	at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
	at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
	at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
	at coldfusion.filter.CachingFilter.invoke(CachingFilter.java:53)
	at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:200)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
	at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilter.java:42)
	at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
	at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
	at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:286)
	at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
	at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
	at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
	at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)