Medicinemann 22-Jun-16
spookinelk 22-Jun-16
HDE 23-Jun-16
BowCrossSkin 23-Jun-16
StickFlicker 23-Jun-16
StickFlicker 23-Jun-16
21-Jun-16
Here is a spin off the 'Limited Entry Bull' thread

What are the 1-5 ranking factors that make you shoot an elk?

1- Horn size?

2- Empty freezer?

3- Days to hunt?

4- Time left to hunt?

5- Or - Just like dropping the string?

Mine would be 5,2,4,3,1

21-Jun-16
A good contact buzz is my worst enemy.

21-Jun-16
2, 1, 4, 5, 3. My number one goal to fill my freezer with tasty elk meat, secondly I'd like a quality bull. I also really like to shoot things with my bow so anything past that is a moot point really.

21-Jun-16
I think you have left off a critical element. I'll add #6 The experience.

I have had a couple calling encounters with bulls that were so awesome, I would have shot them regardless of their antler size just because of how fun the morning/evening had been. In fact, the most memorable bull I have ever called, I worked like a mad man for over an hour. When he finally came, he jumped the private fence and came at full speed until he was close enough to me he threw dirt on me when he locked up to stop. Unfortunately the guy I was calling for made a bad shot. However, if I had been the shooter, I no way would I have let his skinny horns keep me from dropping the string. I would have put his horns on my wall and smiled every single time I looked at them. Some experiences are worth dropping the string even if the size of the horns are not.

So my order would be

6, 1, 4, 3, 5, 2

21-Jun-16
Any other year, my answer would be 1, 4, 3, 2, 5.

Fortunately, mine is a two-part answer this year. With my additional cow tag, it goes 2 and then stops. The rest is n/a. Hopefully fill it early, then I can go back to playing with the boys!

General tag is unchanged from any other year. 1, 4, 3, 2, 5.

21-Jun-16
These days 4 is my first consideration, but also "6" - can I get it out by myself or even with help without losing the meat.

21-Jun-16
#7 Oh my god how far back are we in this canyon from hell.

I have past up many bulls being I shadowed the herd to far.

21-Jun-16
OTC Public land hunt I wait for 5 point or better so my # are - 1-3-4-5-2 -- Good question!

ElkNut1

21-Jun-16
For me 1,3,4,2,5. I can always get a cow with my additional tag to fill the freezer.

21-Jun-16
8 if its an animal and my tag covers it I'm shooting! I guess 2 would be closest for me.

21-Jun-16
1- Taking a mature bull has become a priority, a quest. Enough fence hangers, time for a wall hanger.

3-4 I think are about the same..... no doubt... to me, they do all get prettier at closing time....

5- really like droppin' the string on stuff too. It's the whole reason I am even there. I'm not on vacation.

2- my freezer is already pretty full.... =D

21-Jun-16

21-Jun-16
5, then I'm with Darrell #6 the experience all the way - It is just so damn much fun I can't wait to get back again next year, even as we pack up the tent to leave.

22-Jun-16
Great question! For me at this point in life I just love to get out and chase elk. I'll 2nd Darrell as well with the experience being a huge part of it. With a full time job plus owning a small business and a ton of kids it's hard for me to get away for any lengthy hunts which means I don't put horn size on the top of my list (or on my list at all right now). I just consider myself blessed if I put an elk on the ground and fill the freezer for a while. So for me it goes 2,6,5,3,4,1.

22-Jun-16

6-(Lou's 6)

3/4

Good luck, Robb

22-Jun-16
My list is much different. 1. can I kill cleanly with the shot offered? 2. Is the animal legal? 3. Do I want the animal? I guess that sums it up for me.

22-Jun-16

22-Jun-16
Great point by Darrell. Some experiences mean more than anything else! I would put his #6 first then 3, 1, 2. Days left to hunt is a big consideration.

22-Jun-16

22-Jun-16
Number 6 all the way.

22-Jun-16
If I don't have muskox, moose, or sheep meat in the freezer, my list of priorities would be 2,2,2,2,2........I like elk meat!!

22-Jun-16
It's all about the free range organic meat, the act of taking meat and the experiences I share with my buddies so 2,5,6,1. I never look a gift elk in the mouth so 3 and 4 are non-factors, I can always try and help someone else out if I fill early.

23-Jun-16
5, 5, 5, 5, 5

23-Jun-16

23-Jun-16
Since it can be quite a few years between elk tags in my state, and I live in a state with great trophy quality bulls, I tend to hold-out for a very nice bull. Shooting one also means that the season is over for me, usually for quite a few more years, and I love elk hunting. Therefore, I pass a lot of bulls that others would likely not pass. If it was clearly a giant, I would shoot. Otherwise, I'll hunt all season just because I love it. On the very last day I might kill a meat bull (because I love that too), but if I end the season because I was fortunate enough to hunt every minute of the season, that is fine with me too.

23-Jun-16
Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is whether I can get the shot on video. I really love making movies of my hunts. Although I don't do it for any commercial purpose, I still like to have it. If I can't get the shot and the video shot both, I normally will opt for the video and just keep hunting.

• Sitka Gear