Jaquomo 01-Jul-16
Charlie Rehor 01-Jul-16
Boris 01-Jul-16
midwest 01-Jul-16
Boris 02-Jul-16
Jaquomo 02-Jul-16
bigbulls6 03-Jul-16
22-Jun-16
Congrats to Lou Phillippe on a very informative article on the above mentioned topic.....featuring our very own Paul Navarre!

Two bowhunting studs combining synergy to deliver in the latest (July) edition of Bowhunter!

Great stuff......thank you!

Mark

22-Jun-16
I'm definitely picking up that issue, a hunter is never in too good of shape. I have increased leaps & bounds the last few months in strength already from Lou's recommendation on the bench press system. I'm failing at its name at present but son of a gun it flat works!

ElkNut1

23-Jun-16
Thanks, Mark. The article was easy. The tough part was prying all the adoring "gym bunnies" away from Paul long enough to take the photos. You can't see the fingernail claw marks on his legs, but they're there..

23-Jun-16
Sweet Read------>

Thanks for putting it together Lou & Paul.

Good luck, Robb

23-Jun-16
Paul's a stud. Going to have to find me a copy!

Congrats, Lou!

23-Jun-16
Great Article. Paul you are my hero!

23-Jun-16
Great article. Paul is the man!

Lou you forgot to post the gym bunnies in your article or are you keeping them for yourself? :)

23-Jun-16
I'm buying for sure...

23-Jun-16
The workout program outlined by my personal trainer-senior bowhunter friend is worth 10x the price of the magazine.

23-Jun-16
Lou - The check is in the mail ;-)

23-Jun-16
Buddy had the mag and I read the article. Nice piece with tons of good info. I agree that stretching is a huge piece of the fitness puzzle.

23-Jun-16
There is a major difference in hearing a good sermon and taking a good sermon to heart and applying it to life. . Rev, Jaquamo preached a powerful message in the article with living examples. I read and have already added the backpack to my daily regimentation. I plan to increase weight at the proper increments and time. I can't help but believe that this will better prepare me as a senior aged hunter.

I had already been caring an 8# weight in my left hand and have already seen positive results with that measure. As a right-handed shooter, that exercise helps me to carry bow easier and hold bow steadier.

Thanks Rev Jaq

23-Jun-16
Bless you, Buffalo!

As I aged, I started to see guys my age stop mountain hunting because they let their bodies deteriorate. Injuries can play a part, sure, but modern medicine and rehab strategies are a wonderful thing. My hip gave out, and now the new one is the strongest part of my body. But the biggest factor in physical deterioration with age seems to be... ahem....laziness.

It isn't easy to be Paul. But as Kevin points out in the article, you don't have to be a gym rat to stay in hunting shape. I do the home part of my workout while watching the news, which I would do anyway. I like walking, so adding a pack is no big deal. I like biking, so I find hills to climb. I like beer, so I reward myself with a cold one after my workout. Its all about balance and just a little motivation.

23-Jun-16
Nice work, Lou!

23-Jun-16
When does a person become a 'Senior Bowhunter"? :)

23-Jun-16
How old are you guys?

23-Jun-16
Where can I get a copy? I'm 57 and in very good shape but I am always looking for the next upper level.

23-Jun-16
Bowhunter magazine. July DIY Special. Available at grocery stores, etc... Should be on the shelves by now because subscribers received theirs earlier this week.

I'm 62, Paul is now 76. But it really outlines a workout program for anyone who hunts the mountains but doesn't want want to commit to the Cam Hanes "superman" regimen.

23-Jun-16
The Senior Program begins with some senior discounts at age 55. Age 60 is the next senior discount plateau. Then age 65 is a magnum discount plateau.

You can play senior tees (white) at 65 and the women's tees (red) at 70.

Don't be ashamed to ask for discount either- they can save you a lot of money eating, movies, clothing, airline tickets, etc.

23-Jun-16
Thanks. Will pick one up.

I generally do lots of sprints and weights.

23-Jun-16
Kudos to you guys.

23-Jun-16
Dang, I hit the second level a couple years ago! Nothing like a great workout! Can't wait to read the article!

ElkNut1

23-Jun-16
Buffalo, when playing golf I "self-identify" as a 70 year old black woman so I get to play from the reds now.... Since I can still torch 300 yard drives it makes the course shorter, but my crappy short game makes the game longer.

;)

23-Jun-16
Good info guys. I'm going to pick up a copy. At 57 I need all the help I can get. I agree being lazy is the root of all evil. You don't have to be a mountain hunter to benifit from a healthy lifestyle.

23-Jun-16
Well with the new Target transgender regs I guess tee areas will qualify like bathrooms. Especially, when somebody says,"Nice shot Alice!"That is an automatic to go to the the red tees.

23-Jun-16
We may have to test the water at the next P&Y Golf Tournament in St. Louis. Might try it around the 5th hole and see what flys. Should know for sure after the tournament !!

23-Jun-16
Dang! I didn't read anything about the beer afterwards in the article. Did I miss that part and what kind?

24-Jun-16
Great article, having a great background in physical fitness and athletic training as a former coach and college athlete, laziness is the root of many health problems. I am closing in on 53 but still run 4 to 5 miles per day in this dreaded Arkansas weather and do bands and weighted vest workouts to get ready for elk season and my health in general. Also, you can't out train a bad diet guys!! Glad to see an article for us older guys Jaquomo! Take care of your self now so somebody wont have to take care of you sooner.

24-Jun-16
I just read it for a second time......truly some great life lessons if you want to enjoy all that life has to offer!

Paul, you have been and continue to be a "larger than life mentor" for many of us!!!

Mark

25-Jun-16
I reached out to Paul to let him know it's out but I think he's on a trip off the grid.

Pretty sure the only person besides you who has read one of my pieces twice was my writing professor/mentor back in college. Thanks for sharing that!

25-Jun-16
Said it before... when I grow up I want to be Paul@thefort.... the man has fought through more than most would know and come out on top of the pile.... with a smile... that's class....

Gotta get a copy... but I'll tell you right now the only article I've ever read twice was a Playboy centerfold biography... some really awesome ladies back on the day... whirled peas and all....

Lou, can hardly wait till I have my own x-rays..... heheheheh...

25-Jun-16
TD,

I'm calling BS...."the only article I've ever read twice was a Playboy centerfold biography..."

The biography?!

Ha Ha.....good stuff!

Mark

25-Jun-16
Good article, Lou. Well done!

25-Jun-16
Just finished reading. Great article, very encouraging. I start at a bit of a disadvantage as I bring a battered and abused body into the mix. I've had three surgeries on my shoulder, one on my knee and one on my lower back. Also deal with sarcoidosis (lung disease). Been a tough sixty years.

Even so, I get to the gym religiously walk three to five miles a day and, thanks to my good wife, eat a very healthy and balanced diet. I know without a doubt if I did not pursue this lifestyle of exercise and healthy living I'd be winding down very quickly.

I also know my limitations. I believe that is very important as well. Been hurt more than once trying overdo it and ended up kicking myself for it. Once right before a mule deer hunt in CO. Injured my back by over doing it and suffered through the whole hunt as a result. Now I pace myself when I hunt instead of trying to keep up with the twenty year olds. It's more enjoyable and I'm more successful.

Thanks for the article Jaquomo, great advice for us old guys and the young bucks too.

25-Jun-16
Great job Lou and Paul. Your article is a real service to the bowhunting community. I look forward to your next collaboration!

25-Jun-16
Was wondering how many consecutive days do you fellas work out before before you take a day for rest?

Do you fellas use supplements such as the ones offered by Hammer Nutrition in your workout programs?

25-Jun-16
When you're young, make a commitment to make staying in shape a lifestyle.

I made that commitment at age 29 and have done seven sheep hunts since I turned 59 without blinking an eye,

#8 is in Wyoming starting September 1. It's a backpack only hunt @ 12,000'+ and I'm not even a little bit concerned about handling it.

Sheep Shape!

25-Jun-16
I think Paul is out in Oregon fishing salmon out of his kayak these days.

I bet he will chime in with pics and a re-cap of the gym story :)

25-Jun-16
I've never been to a gym in my adult life.

25-Jun-16
I went to Cabelas and looked for the new mag. the June/July was there but I saw no mention of the article. Must be in the Aug/Sept issue.

25-Jun-16
Great article Lou. Paul is a stud. I didn't notice it until I got home from the grocery store, but someone tampered with the magazine I got... missing was the centerfold with the picture of Paul in his white Speedo. :(

While probably not appropriate for the magazine, you could have inspired a lot more guys to go to the gym with more info & pics of the "gym bunnies". Ha.

25-Jun-16
It's in the July issue. The "DIY Special". Guy on the cover with a giant velvet whitetail.

Buffalo, Paul can answer for himself when he gets back from a shoot this weekend, but everyone is different. During the off-season I'm an every-other day workout. This time of year I do something every day, speed-hiking with a lighter pack, biking, heavy pack workout, hill climb, kettlebell workout or a full workout with the 'bells and free weights. We don't need to be body builders to do this.

If I feel a little twinge, like a tendon somewhere, I'll back off that part for a few days and then retest it with a lighter workout.

The only supplements I take are fish oil (2000 mg 2x a day), Glucosamine-MSM, and highlands single malt Scotch. I also do a simple protein shake every day with instant breakfast and a scoop of advanced whey protein powder. I carry that same mix in a Ziploc bag with a scoop of dry milk when hunting, and just add water.

But everybody is different as we age, and what works for one may not necessarily work for another. You need to find your own path and then build on it. I was trying to set a foundation that anyone can do simply, at home, that's not intimidating to someone who needs a place to start. "Sheep shape" is great, but it's not for everyone, scares many, and isn't necessary to successfully hunt the mountains into our 7th or 8th decade.

25-Jun-16
Maybe not. But if you are in "Sheep Shape" it will make hunting the mountains easier and a lot more pleasurable.

25-Jun-16
Sure, Kyle, no question. But getting a 60 year old guy in Iowa up off his butt to get into "sheep shape" or "Cam shape" to go hunt elk for a week isn't the objective here. That's something for the 1/10th of 1% of serious mountain hunters.

I'll use an analogy - being able to bench press 300 lbs and deadlift 500 will make it a lot easier to quarter an elk.

25-Jun-16
Possibly, but I'm not sure why,

I see no reason I would need to lift 300 pounds just to quarter an elk. I've done a few on my own and all I need to do is roll the elk over once I've boned out the quarters on one side. If I can lift the quarters and carry them a little bit away from the carcass, that's more than enough.

25-Jun-16
Sure, agree. And I've killed dozens of elk solo DIY with a bow with mild asthma and nowhere near anything resembling "sheep shape" and it was awfully pleasurable every time.

I think you're missing the point of the discussion and of the article.

25-Jun-16
Read it today and enjoyed it.

Would love to be able to do what Paul does when Im 60 much less 70

25-Jun-16
Great article, it hits home for me. I am going to be 45 in October. Lately I have really been thinking about workouts more geared towards what I do and need.

25-Jun-16
Can't imagine how boring it would be to do nothing but run for fitness. Not to mention how important strength training is for overall, solid health and injury prevention. Especially, if you don't have the luxury of a guide or horses to pack most of your game out for you.

I'm like Lou in that I do something most every day and always something different. Some days run, some days lift at the gym, some days kickboxing class, some days hiking with a weighted pack, and on and on. This is what works for me but everyone else will find what works for them.

I'll be 58 this year and currently training for my first marathon in October. Even so, I'm only running 3 days a week and I plan to qualify for Boston.

So do what you like to do and even some stuff you don't like. Push yourself to be a little bit better every day until it becomes a habit and hopefully we'll be mountain hunting like Paul well into our 70's and beyond!

25-Jun-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The man, the myth, the legend!

26-Jun-16
Picked up the mag yesterday and read the article last night. Thanks Lou, a good read and some inspiration. I am 54 and am getting a gut, and having a hard time getting rid of it. All I do is walk for exercise, as I have a bad back. I will try some of the things outlined in the article and see how it goes.

26-Jun-16
I haven't subscribed to Bowhunter for years but I will pick up a copy for the article. I will be 68 in November and feel that I am in great shape, in the gym, hike and eat a healthy diet. I am not a beer drinker but I do like my red wine and a bourbon now and then. I hunt and fish and want to continue with that lifestyle as long as possible. Got to go now - my wife wants to go for a walk.

26-Jun-16
Personally, I strive for a bit of both being in "Sheep Shape" & "Elk Shape" for my elk hunts! I try not to do things overboard but still know how demanding & grueling some elk hunts can be. In other words I hope to take my elk within 2-1/2 miles of nearest road but I train for 5-7 miles one way if the need arises, I do not like handicapping myself because I failed to prepare for my elk hunts beforehand! I see benefits from both styles being combined! Works for me at 61. I think you're both right! (grin)

ElkNut1

26-Jun-16
I've checked the local gas stations and the grocery store - can't find it. So yesterday I subscribed to Bowhunter, hopefully they send me that one as well.

26-Jun-16
Have not seen it yet, but look forward to it and pointers I can apply to my old age training. Just back to Wasilla from nearly two months of "training" on Prince of Wales Island.

26-Jun-16
Bob, I still have two sticky notes on my bathroom mirror. One is "Harden Up" And the other is "What would Bob do?" You are an inspiration to me, too.

26-Jun-16
Lou,

is "Harden up" some sort of bedroom motivator for older guys?

26-Jun-16
That's the next article

26-Jun-16
Ike, I was ready to jump all over that comment but it was just too easy. lol

26-Jun-16
Nice article...you are correct; it's a lifestyle choice as you age.

26-Jun-16
Or "Harden Up" could refer to the rules...

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

26-Jun-16

Jaquomo's Link
Chopper says, "Harden Up!" Good advice whether in Australia or the U.S.

Warning - this video is funny and has profanity. If you don't like that, "Harden the F#%& Up!"

27-Jun-16
Absolutely GREAT article Jaq! I think Paul is my new Hero! STILL gettin' it done at 76- WOW!!!!!!!!!!! :)

I think that is one of the best fitness articles I have ever read! Very concise, with good info and enough humor to keep you focused and entertained at the same time. Also very understandable for the average reader/hunter!

I really liked how you emphasized that just about anyone could do that program- that you don't have to be an ultra-endurance athlete, or actually an "athlete" of any kind, to get in shape for a mountain hunt.

Also appreciated the "rest" aspect of your program, and the importance of having a reasonable amount of strength as well as endurance. I think that is a very important part of any fitness program and is one area that a lot of folks neglect- and it becomes even more important as we age! Doesn't mean we have to become body builders, just have to be able to handle our own bodyweight.

Great article- thanks for sharing! :)

27-Jun-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Lou

Great read! Aaron Johnson stopped over yesterday to shoot bows and BS. He brought his copy for me to see.

As we all age - yes it happens - this type of info is very helpful.

Thanks again!

28-Jun-16
Lou - very well written. Not just a "how to" article but great insight on your subjects. I enjoyed more than anticipated. It was a motivational story, not simply one of hundreds of workout articles.

Paul is an inspiration. His Big 8 achievement over age 50 is impressive, but his elk hunt last year - solo! - is equally impressive.

It's an article I will keep and re-read many times over many years. Will take with me into the mountains this fall and read when I need motivation. Loved your comment to know when to rest. Better to take a short break than to quit.

28-Jun-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
The "gym rat" work outs usually only happens in the winter as I love to ride the mt bike, hike with the dog, mow the grass with a walk behind mower, etc, etc, in the spring/summer. It is a wonder Lou took any pictures of me at all when he visited the gym. You know, YOGI PANTS!!! I thought his head was going to fall off of his shoulders.

A life style for sure. I was a sales rep and traveled on the road for 20 years in Ohio, but when I stayed out over night, I would put on the running shoes/shorts and do a 4-6 mile run. Kept to a good diet and limited any drinking to a few time per month. No beer or cigarettes. Ran two marathons before I was 40, and then a lot of 10k and a few more half marathons until I was 51 when I moved to Colorado and WHY the move, well to hunt elk every year! Both kids were out of college and daughter was married.

Twenty five years ago, when I moved to Colorado at the age of 51,, I said to my self, "oh boy, I have 20 good years to elk hunt". Well that was 25 years ago and how I take one year at a time and then gage my health, strength, endurance, to do the type of hunts I enjoy:mostly solo hunting and packing in for elk and staying 5-7 days at a time. One can surely learning a lot about oneself doing so. Keeping in mental and physical shape allows me to do that and that helps me also develop confidence in my abilities.

I am very fortunate to have a wife that does her own thing (community theater manager) while I am gone for an extended period of time, either elk hunting for a month or traveling to Arizona in January to Coues deer hunt for the same amount of time.

Lou painted a good picture of what is needed, at any age, to continue to hunt as we all become more mature in life. When one draws the line and slows down or even retires from the hunting life style , there are many factors to consider and only you can make those choices.

Until that happens, when I am not bow hunting, I am thinking about bow hunting.

The light at the end of the tunnel is, no doubt, getting dimmer but I am going to do my best to keep it lit as long as I can.

My best, Paul

28-Jun-16
I'll have to go down and buy a copy. Those of you that don't do any weight training are missing the boat.

It's a simple fact that as you get older, you lose muscle mass. Maintaining muscles mass as you age is never a bad thing, and has many benefits.

I've done a lot of running in my day, and in the last 10 years have changed my workout regimen pretty drastically. Speaking for myself, I am stronger, more injury free, and enjoy what I do.

Even if you went into a gym two days a week and did 3-5 sets of 5 reps for dumbbell bench, pull ups, squats, and deadlifts, your body would thank you tremendously for it.

I want to be like Paul when I grow up.

28-Jun-16
thanks guys! I hope this is the motivation I need. I get Bowhunter and must have flipped right past the article. Go figure...too lazy to even read about exercise! I will be 62 in a couple weeks and it sounds and looks like there's still hope! I'm going to give it a read when I get home tonight.

28-Jun-16
quote of the day by bowpackerROB "Also, you can't out train a bad diet guys!!"

Fitness is key at any age and especially as we get older, but a bad diet will kill you before you can even get started. Looking forward to reading the article Jaquomo.

28-Jun-16
Thanks stoneman for the backup. That quote is so true, especially as we age. I am down to going to Colorado by myself now as most of hunting buddies from years ago cant do it (over weight and out of shape) I hunt from my cabin north of Alamosa solo and hope to be there when I am Paul's age. Again spot on article by Jaquomo.

28-Jun-16
As Paul said, make fitness a lifestyle.

That not only will help on your mountain hunts, but it will make you healthier and allow you to enjoy the things you love more and longer.

I made it a lifestyle when I was 29. I'm now approaching 68. Yet my doctor tells me I have the heart and lungs of a twenty-year-old.

More and more evidence comes out every day that your chance of getting Alzheimer's is dramatically reduced if you engage in reasonably serious exercise on a regular basis.

29-Jun-16
Kettlebell changed me. I now carry two, each of a different weight, wherever I go so there's no excuse. In 15 or 20 minutes I can get a full low-impact workout on upper body, lower body, core and cardio. So easy to walk over, pick one up, and start.

I do various swings and rotations, goblet presses and squats, snatches, rows, lunges, all in a continuous series for 5-7 minutes per set. Each of the exercises works out multiple muscle groups, tendons and ligaments while pushing your cardio hard.

Each year I electroshock a lake with the CPW biologists. Its fun, but being a netter in front for a few hours is hard work. I'm always sore somewhere the next day, usually in several places. Last night we did it, and this morning I had no soreness anywhere. I attribute this to the "all over" benefit of the kettlebell workouts.

01-Jul-16
I read the article yesterday and really enjoyed it. One thing I have found after reaching 50 is lack of flexibility . What kind of stretches are you guys doing ?

01-Jul-16
Lou, how heavy are your kettlebells?

01-Jul-16
The metal ones I mean.

01-Jul-16
Personally, I try to stretch the muscle groups I'll be working out. This may sound weird, but I sort of learned my stretching routine while watching a group of county workers doing an organized stretching routine on break outside the courthouse one day while waiting for a VA appointment.

First thing I ever got "free" from the county that was beneficial.

01-Jul-16
12 yards, I have a 15, 25, and 35 for the different exercises. I do my first series of everything with the 15 to warm up, then add weight for the next round. I first started out with the 25 and 35, which was too much for a beginner. Strained an elbow tendon. I'm not 40 years old anymore.

Shop for them online. I found them on Walmart.com for about $1 per pound with free shipping. Not sure how they do that, but they arrived as ordered.

01-Jul-16
Paul mentioned being content while being by yourself. If you want to hunt at an older age I think it's key that you are content and not fearful of being alone! Personally, I have three individual friends that are ten years older than me (in their 70's) all still very active with bow hunts. I ask them lots of questions!

01-Jul-16
Thanks Lou and Paul for a great article. So far it has taken me just over a year to start to feel good. I had major surgery in April of 2015. The Doctor told me it will take me about a year to a year and half to really feel great. I am doing a speed walk and now I am adding 2 quarter mile runs. Living in the country, my block is 3 miles around. I then do the Tony Hortons 10 minute workout with speed bands. I also do ab work with the bands. In Sept.15, I was told that I have type 2 diabetes. Started the diet and meds. Have lost 30 lbs. With that said I am 59. I do try to stay active, but the surgery has put a damper to that, but, like I said it is getting better. I know that with Lou and Paul's help, my trip to Colorado to hunt elk next year will be great. davep

01-Jul-16
Boris, mountain hunting is a strong motivator....good luck to you and way to go!

02-Jul-16
Guys, thanks for all the support. I do plan to keep working my butt off and to get my weight down even farther. My goal is to meet Paul and Lou in Ft. Collins next year. Then to head for the area that I plan to hunt. Then try to get an elk. It does not matter if it is a bull or cow. davep

02-Jul-16
Boris, I sure hope you can continue to improve and look forward to meeting you. We have a good group of Bowsiters in the area who occasionally get together to tell tall tales. Cnelk, Aaron, OTCWill, well-strung, IAHunter, grasshopper, AndyJ among others. Maybe we could arrange a meet-greet with you when you come.

Keep at it, and good luck!

03-Jul-16
Great article finally found a copy yesterday!! Geat information and inspiration for us over 50 bow hunters!!

Rob

• Sitka Gear