Raghorn 23-Jun-16
Jaquomo 23-Jun-16
AZBUGLER 23-Jun-16
Darrell 23-Jun-16
Bake 23-Jun-16
SteveB 23-Jun-16
ElkNut1 24-Jun-16
23-Jun-16
Just wondering your thoughts on the best time to chase elk. I drew a Nevada area 72-74 bull elk tag. Season opens on August 25th. Ends on September 16th. If you only could hunt 1 week, when would you go? Be there for the opener, with everybody else, and hotter weather? Or go starting about Labor day? Cooler weather, maybe less people, but the bulls should be bugling.

23-Jun-16
In the area I hunt, I hunt an entirely different part of the unit each week of the season. Where they are early is not where they are late. Has to do with hunter pressure and movements of the bulls to find the cows for the rut.

If you only have one week, and that's it, I'd spend time talking with the game wardens and biologists for the area, as well as trying to find some other hunters who might share info.

23-Jun-16
Those are some dang tough dates! I would normally say late, but the whole season is super early so maybe I'd hope to catch them in a Summer pattern early. Good luck!

23-Jun-16
A lot depends on how you want/plan to hunt. One unit I hunt, I want to be there for opening day because I know a gold mine of a couple great wallows and water holes that the elk always hit hard in late August, early September. In fact, if I ever draw that tag again, I will be there the day before opening day hanging a tree stand and will spend at least the first day in that stand.

Other units I hunt, I want to be there later when they are more vocal and when the big bulls have come down from their solo spots because the sounds and smells of the rut are too intoxicating for them to stay solo and/or in their bachelor groups.

Later in the hunt tends to be more running and gunning with more bugling. Early, at least where I hunt, you are much better off sitting water silently and seeing what comes for a drink or a dip or calling lightly and watching for bulls coming in silent.

It also can depend on both hunting and non-hunting pressure. For example in one of my units, I don't want to be there Labor Day weekend because the crowds are crazy. Grouse hunters, hikers, people fishing, and just people driving around in the mountain on 4wheelers make the place nuts and make the elk even more nocturnal than usual. So much of "When" depends on your individual location.

23-Jun-16
I'm in London right now, but let's talk later. I drew the same tag

Bake

23-Jun-16
How about the whole time :)

24-Jun-16
If I couldn't hunt the entire 21 days as Steve mentions & had to choose a single week & didn't know the area at all as far as where elk were watering & bedding then I'd choose Sept 10-16 -- This would give me the best odds to find vocal bulls & then I'd hunt them once located just like I'd do anywhere else!

No doubt sitting water where others weren't hunting can be productive but you have to know where those isolated sources are! To me finding elk is # 1 then I hunt them! Between glassing & calling both during daylight hours & before daylight you will find hunt-able bulls during those dates, it's the quickest way in my experience to find elk!

As you cover ground & burn boot leather it's possible you will come across some great areas with water being used by elk or trails leading from bedding areas to water or feeding areas. Consider sitting those that last couple hours of daylight, that's the highest probability of their use when not far from bedding areas.

ElkNut1

• Sitka Gear