midwest 30-Jun-16
Paul@thefort 30-Jun-16
NvaGvUp 01-Jul-16
pav 01-Jul-16
Z Barebow 01-Jul-16
NvaGvUp 01-Jul-16
brunse 01-Jul-16
25-Jun-16
Fellow Bowsiter Kevin Davis from Montana is running his best Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run ever. He went thru Last Chance, the 43.3 mile mark, at 1:37 PM. That puts him on pace to crack the 24 hour mark and win a coveted Silver WS 100 belt buckle.

Kevin ran the WS 100 in 2009 and 2010 and finished a bit over 25 hours both times. But he's a lot more experienced now and he's on a pace to break 24 hours with plenty of room to spare.

The next three hours should tell the story. He's got back-to-back 1,400' to 1,600' canyons to go in and out of in the heat of the day.

If he gets through those without blowing out all of his fluids and electrolytes, he's in great shape to get his first silver buckle, which is the most revered trophy in all of trail running.

25-Jun-16
WOW... that is some endurance right there. Best of luck to Kevin. Run Kevin run.

25-Jun-16
Totally forgot about that and of course it turns hot again for the race...

25-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Only 83 degrees in Foresthill right now, which makes it one of the cooler days in WS 100 history. It also makes for faster times and a higher % of finishers.

Da' prize!

25-Jun-16
A great achievement, one way or another. Great job. There is nothing in the world that could make me run 100 miles.

25-Jun-16
Patrick,

The WS 100 is run almost entirely on rocky and root-strewn single-track trails. There is 41,000' of elevation change!

Outsider magazine rated the WS 100 as "The Ultimate Challenge" back in the late '80's.

25-Jun-16
Kevin's at Devil's Thumb, the 47.8 mile mark, @ 2:51. That segment is in and out of Deadwood Canyon and is the toughest (and slowest) part of the race.

That he did it in 1:14 tells me he's still feeling good.

Next is Michigan Bluff @ 55.7 miles. I want to see him there nlt 4:40.

25-Jun-16
One very good sign for Kevin is that he's steadily moving up in the field.

At the 10.5 mile check point he was 105th. Now he's 74th.

Go, Kevin!

25-Jun-16
Sounds like he's smokin the course. It is a hot one today. Maybe a thunder boomer with some rain will cool things down a tad.

25-Jun-16
Bowboy,

Actually, it's not nearly as hot today as it normally is for this race. Which is a very good thing for the runners.

25-Jun-16
Go Kevin, that's awesome!

25-Jun-16
Jim Walmsley, the race leader, just hit the river crossing at Rucky Chucky, the 78 mile mark, at 3:59 PM. If he doesn't crash and burn, he'll set a new course record!

25-Jun-16
Kevin's in at Michigan Bluff (mile 55.7) at 4:54.

His time between the last two check points shows me he's feeling it, but he still has a reasonable cushion. You go through major mental and physical ups and downs in this race. Hopefully Kevin's about to rally.

He needs to get to Foresthill (mile 62.0) nlt 6:30 or I'll start worrying.

OTOH, he's moved up to 73rd, so that's a good thing.

25-Jun-16
He's hit Foresthill at 6:19!

Lookin' good for the Silver Buckle!

The last 38 miles are piece of cake compared to the first 62. Good trails, long, gentle down hills and the temperature is starting to drop.

OTOH, you're getting physically wasted at this point and most of the rest of the run will be in the dark if you're lookin' to go under 24 hours.

25-Jun-16
Keep up the good work KD!

25-Jun-16
Incredible performance. Keep going..

25-Jun-16
I can't imagine why anyone would do this to their body. But, I surly admire anyone with the grit to do so. Good luck man and God Bless

26-Jun-16
Great play, by play Kyle...

26-Jun-16
Had a friend finish a little earlier at 16:30. All those people are amazing to me!

26-Jun-16
Hell I am sore from just reading the updates by Kyle!

Go for it !!

Good luck, Robb

26-Jun-16
Congrats to Kevin! 22:38:26

26-Jun-16
22:38:26!

Congratulations, Kevin!

Well done!

26-Jun-16
Well done Kevin!!

26-Jun-16
Well done Kevin!

26-Jun-16
Jim Walmsley, the leader by almost two HOURS @ Brown's Bar, the 89.9 mile checkpoint, crashed and burned, taking almost six hours to go the last 10.1 miles. But to his great credit, he did not quit and finished the race @ 18:45:36.

Another guy dropped out at No Hands Bridge, the 96.8 mile mark at 2:30 AM, meaning he had two-and-a-half hours left to go the last 3.2 miles and still 'buckle.' Ouch!

26-Jun-16
Congratulations Kevin. I would hate to attempt to keep up with you on an elk hunt in the mountains.

26-Jun-16
"Congratulations Kevin. I would hate to attempt to keep up with you on an elk hunt in the mountains."

Just wait a few years when his knees are done, then he wont keep up with you!

Huge accomplishment, I couldn't do it nor would I want to, done a few half marathons and messed myself up!

26-Jun-16
Running does not cause knee problems. It can, however, accentuate existing knee problems, such as arthritis, old football injuries, etc.

Running won't cause arthritis but it can make it worse. Two orthoperdic surgeons told me my knees are in terrific shape. I actually had knee surgery four years ago because my Reno guy was sure I'd torn a ligament. But when he went in, all he saw was terrific ligaments and tendons. So he simply cleaned out some of the arthritis.

I'm almost 68, yet my primary care doctor tells me I have the lungs and heart of a twenty-year-old..

26-Jun-16
Congratulations Kevin! First thing I did this morning was to see how you did. Nice buckle!

26-Jun-16
Congrats...An accomplishment I can't even phathom.

26-Jun-16
Amazing!

26-Jun-16
Congrats Kevin

26-Jun-16
Congrats Kevin!

An incredible feat by any measure !

Mark

26-Jun-16
I just got in from a 6.5 miler on the trails with my dog and it reminded me of something.

I can remember finishing the WS 100, getting a leg massage in the infield of the stadium at the finish line, going to the motel, taking a shower, getting a few hours of sleep, getting up, having a big breakfast, driving 2 1/2 hours home, then realizing there were still runners out on the course!

There's a 30 hour deadline, which means you have until 11:00 Sunday AM to get to the finish line. If you're not on schedule to make it by then at various check points, you're disqualified.

The people who are top runners are amazing, but they're finished in 20 hours or less. Imagine how mentally tough you have to be to be out there for 30 hours! Not only are you out there an extra ten hours, but the reason you're still out there is because you are not nearly as good of a runner and not nearly as efficient of a runner as are the best runners. So you have to work harder to cover each and every mile and you have do so so for a LOT longer.

Those people who are out there until 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 get my greatest respect and admiration.

26-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Cougar Rock, about 13-14 miles into the race.

26-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
This one is about 15-16 miles into the race.

26-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Heading down into Deadwood Canyon at ~ 45 miles. This canyon is deep, narrow, and collects heat like an oven.

Good runners hit this in the middle of the day, There's no air movement in the canyon and the temperatures frequently get over 100 degrees. The trail up the other side is the steepest, nastiest, rock and root infested trail you could imagine.

26-Jun-16
Last I read, Kevin was in 73rd place.....where did he finish, place-wise?

26-Jun-16
Jake,

He finished 69th out of 358 starters.

26-Jun-16
That's pretty damn cool...

26-Jun-16
When I crewed for Kevin in the 2009 WS 100, he had problems with one foot sliding inside his shoe and the result was not pretty.

When he got to Bath Road just before the Foresthill check point at 62 miles he was limping and obviously hurting.

At Foresthill, he sat down and took his shoe off. Yikes! The sock was bloody, skin was torn and there were blisters.

So what did he do?

He put the shoe back on and ran the last 38 miles to the finish line.

Talk about mental toughness!

26-Jun-16
I think Kevin needs to apply for the Barkley Marathons next!

26-Jun-16
Back in '83, CBS Sports did a 60-90 minute Saturday afternoon feature on the Western States 100.

About the same time, there was a video made of the WS 100, appropriately named "Desperate Dreams," the same name as the song by Eddie Raven. A couple of other Eddie Raven songs were also part of the music for the video, including, appropriately, "A Little Bit Crazy."

In "Desperate Dreams," and "Who Do Know In California," just substitute the WS 100 for the woman in the song and you'll totally 'get it.'

"Desperate Dreams"

"A Little Bit Crazy"

"Who Do You Know in California?"

26-Jun-16
Congrats Kevin!!! A fabulous accomplishment!

27-Jun-16
I just got a text back from Kevin. He said he was 'a mess,' but that's to be expected. He's flying home this afternoon, so hopefully he'll post on his race when he gets home.

27-Jun-16
wowza. incredible feat!

27-Jun-16
69th (nice)

27-Jun-16
Yeah, I think you'd HAVE to be "A Little Bit Crazy" to (willingly) put your body thru all that! ;-)

But CONGRATS to Kevin on a very rare accomplishment!

I can't imagine the disappointment that guy is feeling who suffered for 96.8 miles and could NOT finish! :(

27-Jun-16
Kyle, thank you for the report. Just finished Born To Run by Christopher McDougall.

Brought tears to my eyes and my legs and feet still hurt just by setting in the chair reading about just what ultra runners go through mentally and physically.

If anyone is interested in reading a book about ultra runners, this might be a must read.

my best, Paul

27-Jun-16
Rut Nut,

"A Little Bit Crazy" helps a lot. But "A Whole Lot Crazy" helps even more. ;^)

As the song says, "It ain't how you run, it's the fact that you ran."

Many years ago, I read an article on the WS 100 and it quoted a guy who knew the race very well, having served on the WS 100 board and more. He said something like, "What's amazing isn't just that people actually finish the race. What's truly amazing is how many people have the courage to show up at the starting line in the first place."

Paul,

It brings tears to my eyes as well, esp. because having been there, done that so many times, I relate very personally to what Kevin and the rest are going through during the race.

I LOVED "Born to Run." As I recall, I read most of it in a ground blind on an elk hunt in Idaho a few years ago. I couldn't put it down.

27-Jun-16
Truly amazing, the drive and determination it would take to accomplish this is unimaginable to most. Congratulations!

27-Jun-16
Jeff,

You're right. It's a tribute to the human spirit that people will even attempt this race.

It's got to be a passion which burns in your belly. The reason I quit running the race is because the fire in my belly had died out. The last couple of times I ran it, it was just because running the race was what I did.

That was not a good enough reason, so I 'retired' and let someone else have my spot, even though I had a guaranteed automatic entry, regardless of the lottery to get in.

27-Jun-16
I definitely cannot relate to the desire to do this, but have great respect for those who commit to do so. Well done!

27-Jun-16
Over 3,500 people entered the lottery for the 390 spots for this year's WS 100. That's up from ~ 2,500 the year before.

27-Jun-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

27-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Paul,

If you liked "Born To Run,' you'll also like "The Boys In The Boat."

It's about the 1936 University of Washington Crew team that beat out all the top college crew teams in the USA and thereby represented the USA in the Munich Olympics.

It's another book I just couldn't put down and it's an amazing story about determination and perseverance.

27-Jun-16

Yep, finished that one prior to the Run book while turkey hunting this spring.

Another great read. Need to find a few more for this hunting season.

Paul

27-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
"Liberty And Tyranny" by Mark Levin.

27-Jun-16
I once chased a Good Humor ice cream truck a half a block before he stopped.

27-Jun-16
For those facinated by extreme endurance events, this documentary, available on Netflix, will blow your mind. I've watched it twice and will watch it again.

Jared Campbell of Utah, who ran this event for the first time at the shooting of this film in 2014, completed it for a record 3rd time this year. Which is quite a feat considering since the race's inception in 1986, only 14 runners out of about 800 have completed the race within the official 60-hour cut-off.

28-Jun-16
I got some very interesting news this morning re. the WS 100.

I'd assumed Jim Walmsley, who was leading the race by well over an hour at the 89.9 mile mark and was on a record pace, had crashed and burned, hence his very slow finish.

Wrong!

What happened is he missed a turn on the trail just before he got into the Highway 49 Check Point at 93.5 miles and was way off course before he realized his error. He was so frustrated, he simply walked the rest of the course once he got back on course.

Bummer!

28-Jun-16

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
This pretty much says it all.

28-Jun-16
Congratulations, Kevin. Quite the accomplishment!

29-Jun-16
Wow.... congrats...I couldn't drive that...

30-Jun-16
Wow, always amazed at the support from the guys around here -thanks, sincerely. This report is for Kyle and Brian, they know why. It was pretty simple from the start, run sub 24 or die trying. I probably won't get another chance to run this race. I didn't have a great Spring of training but did have a great 45 day lead up with a couple of 100 mile weeks with 15,000' of vertical. I was still a bit tired come race day. It started really well and at 20 miles I thought this is going to be smooth. But running the downhill into Duncan, I felt it, the quads that tell you it's going to be a tough day. I ran through Duncan and on to Robinson very conservatively and frustrated. I got to Robinson, saw my wife and daughter, got a cool drink and food, and ran on. I ran easy not wanting to expend any extra effort as I knew the canyons were coming. Through the heat I didn't feel bad and got to Last Chance. There, I got fueled and watered and started the canyons. Deadwood through Devil's Thumb was hot but efficient, El Dorado to Michigan was rough. I got to Michigan Bluff and my head was a mess, along with my legs. I got in and my daughter told me, its great to see you but get over the pity party and get to Foresthill and pick up Mom, you're fine. So off I went through Volcano Canyon and in to Foresthill with a ton to run for. I picked up my pacer wife, Alyssa, and we had 10 hours to go 38 miles, I was right on the 24 hour cut off. So as usual, I start my mental math which turned into verbal non-sense and Alyssa told me to stop thinking and run, she'd have me to the river by 10pm. Guess what, we were at the river at before 10pm. I started to calm down and asked if she could get us to 49 in four hours? She told me, no problem. We got to Browns Bar, mile 90, at 1am. I had four hours to go 10 miles. We hit the gas and were at 49 at 1:48 am. We were sailing and I felt great! On to Auburn, my daughter met us at Robie point and we ran in together for the victory lap. 22:38 = monkey off back. After a few years and 1000s of miles and some success at other races it still came down to one thing for this run,"how bad do you want it?" It wasn't my best race but one I am proud of - I had to be smart, patient and tough. And that's all I have to say about that.

30-Jun-16
Being a Nebraska flatlander I was surprised to see the top woman was from Omaha and she finished in under 18 hours. Also 3 men from NE finished.

Big congrats all around!

30-Jun-16
Thanks for the recap, KD, and congrats again!

30-Jun-16
KD EXCELLENT

my best, Paul

01-Jul-16
Well done, my friend!

If the desire for the buckle burns like hot coals in your belly, you'll get 'er done.

It did and you did.

I am VERY happy for you!

01-Jul-16
Congrats...I can't even comprehend such an accomplishment!

01-Jul-16
Thanks for sharing Kevin! You give folks a glimpse into what it takes.

No one glides through a task of this magnitude, even elites. It is not a matter of if you reach the physical and emotional depths, it is a matter of how many times you descend into those holes and how you pull yourself through them. Very few things in life generate this type of deep self exploration and self education.

You are an alpha dog Kevin!

01-Jul-16
" I got in and my daughter told me, its great to see you but get over the pity party and get to Foresthill and pick up Mom, you're fine."

I love that! You're raising her right, Kevin. No snowflake there, that's for sure!

01-Jul-16
Great job Kevin.

I feel for Jim. Wow. That sucks.

• Sitka Gear