APauls 07-Jul-16
ElkNut1 07-Jul-16
rooster 07-Jul-16
Cheesehead Mike 07-Jul-16
ScottTigert 07-Jul-16
cityhunter 07-Jul-16
cityhunter 07-Jul-16
27-Jun-16
Not those full frontal shots, the ones where you killed elk. :)

Include shot distance and recovery distance please.

27-Jun-16
Thought for sure this was a Jaquomo thread.........

27-Jun-16
First elk--7 or 8 yard shot distance, arrow was sticking out of the rear ham. Bull ran 50 yards. Stopped to look, walked a little bit, then fell over dead.

Whitetail last year--14 or 15 yard shot distance. Arrow entered neck, exited belly right in front of his penis, he ran HARD, for about 40 yards. Dead in about 10 seconds.

Those are the only two I've taken, except a recent frontal follow up on a wounded animal, which doesn't really count here. Although it tore him up, and caused him to quickly bed, where I was able to get another follow up into him

27-Jun-16
I am really hoping the women of bowsite misunderstand and post away! :^)

27-Jun-16
Deer. 15 yards. Level. Exited butthole. 10 yard recovery

Deer. 15 yards. Level. Exited butthole area. 25 yard recovery.

Deer. 5 yards. Looking up at me. Entered white patch, exited sternum until the ground stopped it. Zero yards.

Deer. 12 yards. Slightly quartering to. Entered left of sternum and out right shoulder. 30 yards.

Deer. 15 yards. Slightly below me. When she looked up, I shot her. Entered dead center. Exited between the legs. 30 yard recovery.

Deer. 15 yards. Above deer. When he raised his head. I shot him in the base of the neck. Dropped upon impact.

Deer 12'ish yards. Very slightly quartering to. Hit where neck meets shoulder. Out behind left shoulder. Dropped within 30 yards or so.

I could list a few more but the situations and, the results have all been the same. Close deer. Unalarmed. Facing me equaled a dead deer very quickly. God Blesd

27-Jun-16

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
Last year's bull...8 yard shot, went 50 yards and fell over in sight. Click the link to watch the video...

Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com

27-Jun-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I'll stick to elk since that's what you asked about...

Shot distance was 19 yards. Recovery was a couple hundred yards but he bled really well the entire distance... he was a tough old guy.

27-Jun-16

Nogutsnostory's MOBILE embedded Photo
Nogutsnostory's MOBILE embedded Photo

Frontal, Bugled the bull in 35 yards uphill shot went 100 or so yards, the whole arrow was in the chest cavity. Easton axis Vpa solid 100 grain broadhead.

27-Jun-16
Got so tickled over my first response I didn't even notice you asked for elk.

27-Jun-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Shot at 4ft and still comin. Slightly quartered to. 40 yd recovery

27-Jun-16
I simply have to comment on Corey's video. That is a perfect example of the full frontal shot that I wrote about in 2011 in my somewhat controversial article, "Full Frontal On The Rio." I took some grief for that but I stand by my advice which was perfectly illustrated in this video. Done correctly it is extremely lethal.

But maybe even more important to those learning about hunting elk is Corey's perfect timing when drawing his bow. A failure to draw at the right time is the single biggest mistake I see on videos. Had he not drawn when he did, that bull likely gets away. Well done!

27-Jun-16
Epic - great description for CJ's video.

27-Jun-16
Me and my buddies shoot elk in the front fairly often

Shots are 20yds or less, recovery prob 20-30 yds if that

photo DSC03663.jpg

photo DSC03630.jpg

photo herb_bull2012_zps52cae7fd.jpg

photo DSC00377_zps75e5bdfb.jpg

27-Jun-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
My one and only elk....frontal at just over 20 yards and uphill. He trotted off maybe 25 yards, stood for a few seconds, wobbled, and went down with a crash. Arrow was stuck inside the cavity back in his hip.

27-Jun-16
Someone have that link to that young boy (13 years old - I think) ..... frontal and the elk just stands there and bleeds out.

27-Jun-16

Dyjack's Link
Is it this one inshart?

27-Jun-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Took this guy with a frontal at 14 yards, traveled 150 yards & piled up as can be seen! Took him with a 55# longbow & 500 grain arrow, head was a wensel woodsman elite.

ElkNut1

28-Jun-16
Cool photos guys. I love Corey's video. I have watched it numerous times since the link went live.

I was reading a post yesterday from another site where someone had actually copied and posted a post made by BB on Bowsite about the frontal many years ago. BB was defending/educating about the shot and it was obvious that there was opposition. The thread on the other site was mostly opposition. I think it is interesting how the forums have changed somewhat over the years to the point where it is generally acceptable that not only is the frontal lethal, it is also ethical.

28-Jun-16

John Haeberle's embedded Photo
John Haeberle's embedded Photo
Cow elk, 10 yards.

I'm now opposed to the shot, as it ruins too much meat! Lost a lot of that right rear quarter.

28-Jun-16
BUGLELK Awesome video!!! That was insane!!

28-Jun-16

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Sorry all i have is a deer. 17 yards from tree stand. went 25 yards fell running.

28-Jun-16

elkstabber's embedded Photo
elkstabber's embedded Photo
This wasn't exactly full frontal. He was frontal but angled about 20-30 degrees from facing me. Arrow entered right in front of the point of the shoulder.

22 yard shot, 150 yards recovery. 55# Black Widow recurve, Carbon Express arrow, 200 grn 3-blade VPA broadhead, 620 grain total arrow weight.

28-Jun-16

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
12 yard shot, 70 yard recovery, 62 pound Darton ds3800, 340 fmj tipped with a 100gr exodus swept

28-Jun-16

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
18 yard shot, 70 yard recovery, 70 pound bowtech rpm 360 340 fmj tipped with a exodus swept

28-Jun-16

carcus's embedded Photo
carcus's embedded Photo
The exodus was pushing on the hide, so no passthrough, if I had a 31" draw length or been shooting 80+lbs probably would've passed through!

28-Jun-16
Corey that was maybe the best Elk video on the web....perfect exicusion. I've only killed whitetails with a frontal shot, 2 shots two dead with in 40 yard. not to totally hijack but if you guys haven't watched Elk101's video do it, its amazing.

28-Jun-16
Corey's video is textbook on "how to" if there ever was...

Mark

28-Jun-16
Its my preferred shot. Quick, humane, final.

28-Jun-16

320 bull's embedded Photo
320 bull's embedded Photo
Works great at eye level. Not for me from a tree stand though. I like to be 10 yards or less. This guy went 50 yards

28-Jun-16
My bull last year was 27 yards downhill. Ran maybe 100 yards.

28-Jun-16
I haven't shot an elk full frontal yet but if the right circumstances are in front of me I will. In 2013 my Muley I shot was 20 yards full frontal. Arrow exited low between the hams. Buck went about 30 yards. Never did find the arrow.

28-Jun-16
Shot a 6x5 at 6 yds three years ago. Broadhead went all way to hind quarter. Bull ran twenty yards before piling up. Would not hesitate to shoot again with a twenty yard shot being the max.

28-Jun-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I've shot appx 5 elk front on and seen probably another 5 die to that shot. All very close shots 20yds or under...and all with fixed heads....its deadly.

This one was hard quartering in what I refer to as the collar.

28-Jun-16
 photo freakbull.jpg

10 yds Hard quartering in...30 yd recovery

photo bulldown_zpsaa2e1c99.jpg

Treestand "frontal"...10 yds straight down through base of neck...exit wound opposite "armpit"...80 yd recovery

photo FirstBullsmall.jpg

My very first bull was an adrenaline fueled screwup! Shot him at 8 yards straight on...didn't realize my nocking point had slipped. Fortunately, I caught the carotid..300 yard recovery, and another arrow to finish him off after 2 hours.

Best of Luck, Jeff

28-Jun-16

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
My one experience with a frontal shot was on this bear from the ground at about 12 yards. 15 yard recovery. I will do it again.

28-Jun-16

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
I've taken several bulls frontal and all of them expired within eyesight. Love it! Zero meat lost and quick kill.

28-Jun-16
for such a bad shot, sure looks very good doesn't it ?

29-Jun-16
big animals, big kill zone, shot must be close, and if you F it up chances are the animal will survive.

29-Jun-16
More and more outfitters are going to strict wounding policies...draw blood and your hunt is over. Still taking the frontal shot?

29-Jun-16
Whats an 'Outfitter'?

29-Jun-16
Amazing, not one post with a bad experience?

29-Jun-16

njbuck's embedded Photo
njbuck's embedded Photo
Deadly shot, you will never see such a thick blood trail. It should only be taken though under optimal conditions such as a calm animal at close range.

29-Jun-16
OK, if Bowfreak doesn't mind I'll share one that I screwed up on years ago! I'd called this nice 6 point bull, he came from aprox 150 yards out to my bugling, I could see the tips of his antlers over a volkswagon sized rock 30 yards out & he kept coming sidehilling the steep terrain. I needed him to go to the left of the large rock as he came in for a near 17 yard broadside shot, he didn't! He came to my right, his left, where it was a straighter course right at me. When he got to the rock I drew my bow, as he came slightly around the rock almost straight at me not noticing me at all standing there I settled the pin in the center of his chest & squeezed!

I knew the 2nd I let the arrow fly I was in trouble, his angle was such that hitting him dead center took the arrow on a course very close to the inside of his left leg, I had screwed up the shot! I should have placed the arrow closer to the inside of his right leg as if looking through the animal to reach his vitals.

I tracked that bull for the next 4 hours all over hell & never found him. At one point he climbed near 500' of elevation, I knew right then I was screwed! Yes, I believe he survived that shot, it didn't stop me from taking it again as I knew the error of my ways, since that bull I have not lost another to the frontal shot & have taken several more with it including the photo I shared above.

ElkNut1

29-Jun-16
Ollie, your statement implies and assumes that a frontal shot has a greater chance of wounding (and losing) an elk.

There are many on this site who have experience with frontal shots and who will disagree with that assumption.

The odds of making a fatal gut shot and losing the elk are nearly impossible with a frontal shot whereas it's very possible with the "perfect" broadside shot.

As a side note, I was watching the Primos Big Bulls 10 video last night and they briefly discussed the frontal shot. They commented that they don't take that shot and Keith Burgess stated that the frontal kill zone is about the size of the bottom of the 20 oz. water bottle he had in his hand. Just goes to show I guess that just because you make hunting videos doesn't mean you're an expert on anatomy...

29-Jun-16

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
Here is a short video clip from the University of Elk Hunting Online Course that shows how effective the frontal shot can be. It also highlights where to aim.

Most people who have a bad experience with the frontal shot aim too low and hit the sternum, or hit too far to the left or right which causes the arrow to deflect down along the outside of the ribcage (between the ribs and the shoulder blade) and never get inside the body cavity.

I've also attached an image of an actual elk carcass showing the thoracic opening as well as the area between the ribcage and the shoulder. Knowledge of anatomy plus confidence in ability is the key to success with a frontal shot.

29-Jun-16
cnelk = BWAHAHAHA! Loved your reply to Ollie and I'll 2nd it.

29-Jun-16
That kill zone the size of the bottom of a 20 oz water bottle is a pretty darn small target and I have yet to see an elk that has an orange dot spray painted that shows an excited hunter exactly where his arrow needs to hit.

"Knowledge of anatomy plus confidence in ability is the key to success with a frontal shot." For some this is a deadly shot that they can consistently pull off but for the average bowhunter does not fall in this category.

29-Jun-16
If you think the kill zone is the size of the bottom of a 20 oz. water bottle, you would be wrong.

29-Jun-16
"More and more outfitters are going to strict wounding policies...draw blood and your hunt is over. Still taking the frontal shot?"

"Whats an 'Outfitter'?"

HAHAHA, well done cnelk. The overwhelming positive results from the frontal shot show here tells me that anyone confident in their ability taking the frontal will yield similar recovery rates to longer broadside shots.

I agree the frontal isn't for everyone, like rage lovers and first timers (often rage lovers), hell if I draw on one frontal and I'm shaking too bad I will hold it until the elk turns or my arms give out.

29-Jun-16
Ollie, the diameter of a 20 oz bottle of water is 2.5", which produces an area of approximately 5 square inches. The measured thoracic opening on an average bull elk has an area of approximately 48 square inches...nearly 10X that of your water bottle. Again, education is the key, which leads to confidence, and confidence leads to success.

Many thanks, Corey Jacobsen Elk101.com

29-Jun-16
Agree with Corey & cnelk, I like to say the size of a good sized cantaloupe is very close to what a hunter should try to visualize in size.

ElkNut1

29-Jun-16
I have found that what I thought was going to be a frontal actually turned out to be a nice broadside shot and vice versa.

Kinda the best of both worlds

Knowing when to draw, reading the elk's movements and terrain will help you make it all come together

29-Jun-16

nmarchr's embedded Photo
nmarchr's embedded Photo
Full frontal 9 yards. Bull ran 50 yards and fell in sight. Hoyt Spyder 30 72# with a 420 grain Easton axis and a rage hypodermic. Arrow stuck in left hind quarter.

29-Jun-16

And the thoracic opening is not the only kill zone on a frontal shot, although it is the only direct path to the vitals unprotected by bone.

Yes, the thoracic opening is probably the best choice on a directly straight-on frontal shot but on a quartering frontal shot you can certainly shoot through the ribs that are between the front of the shoulder and the thoracic opening.

I don't understand why some people feel that a broadside or quartering away shot where the arrow has to pass through the ribs behind the shoulder is the perfect (and only) shot but those same people are critical of a shot that passes through the ribs in front of the shoulder.

A quartering away shot and a quartering to you shot are the same angle through the vitals but with the arrow going opposite directions. Both shots have to pass through ribs (either breaking one or slipping between them) and you need to know where the shoulder bone is on both shots.

I killed my first bull in '98 with a quartering to me frontal shot. I was on my knees at full draw and he came to my calls and stopped directly straight-on frontal at 8 yards. I wasn't familiar with the shot and didn't consider taking it but also didn't know about all the controversy. As I was kneeling there at full draw he noticed me and began to make a slow turn, I instinctively saw my shot, knew I could kill him and took the quartering to me frontal shot in front of his shoulder. He spun and ran 100 yards and was down in seconds and did the death moan. My broadhead was buried in his opposite side rib cage.

29-Jun-16

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
12 yards from my knees as the bull came in to my calls and the arrow exited at the last rib. Bull went about 35 yards before crashing at a dead run.

First bull and first frontal. If you know anatomy, a frontal isn't a bad shot from close range.

29-Jun-16
I will never forget the first elk I saw shot with that frontal shot. back in the late 80's we were hunting the strawberry wilderness in oregon and while walking back to the Th at about 10am I hear a faint bugle.

My buddy walking in the leaves 20' to my right didn't hear a thing. We stood for a minute with me trying to convince him. I had him move out in front and we moved about 200yd closer to the bugle and we set up with him behind this 3' dia downed log in the fairly thick timber.

i bugled a challenge and sure enough this bull screams at us 100 yds away. He comes in on a string when I start raking. I see him coming and then turn to try and get our wind walking across in front of my buddy at 25 yds- PERFECT!

Well my buddy comes to full draw and starts to swing with the bull. The bull must have caught his movement as it swung around in a half crouch staring straight at us. I was thinking, "Ugh Oh the jig is up" Right about the time my buddy Kirk let an arrow fly that caught the bull right in the long neck red neck mane and the arrow dissappeared.

That bull reared up exactly like Trigger in the old Lone Ranger series. He pawed at the air for what seemed like 10 seconds and then came down, took 2 steps and toppled over. To this day it was one of the coolest things I've seen when bowhunting. The arrow was lodged in the back ham after taking out everything in the bull lengthwise...and it wasn't a particularly heavy arrow- 2213 from an overdraw that was about 25" long, 70# bow.

29-Jun-16
Cheesehead Mike has a good question: Why are the ribs behind the shoulder less of an obstacle that the ribs in front of the shoulder?

29-Jun-16
Plus, the ribs in front of the shoulder are much smaller than the ones behind the shoulder. AND, you have all the major arteries and veins supplying blood to and from the brain that run through the front half of the thoracic cavity. Far better shot than the quartering away shot, in my opinion.

29-Jun-16
If u have cut up any animal u will c that the ribs in front of the shoulder r thicker and wider than those behind the shoulder.

29-Jun-16
dead front on, 25meters, Goldtip Kinetic with a VPA broadhead, full penetration. One of the most effective shots in the right situation

29-Jun-16
 photo IMG_0985.jpg

29-Jun-16
 photo IMG_1010.jpg

29-Jun-16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d07meDwt04

29-Jun-16

spookinelk's embedded Photo
spookinelk's embedded Photo
About 12 yards with a 52# @29" stickbow, 500 grain arrow at about 185 fps, Magnus 2 blade. 30 yard recovery. The elk crashed in about 5 seconds and died within a minute.

30-Jun-16

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
Britfan, Just FYI...the ribs in front of the shoulder are on the right side of this elk carcass....I'm not sure you would win an argument or a bet that "the ribs in front of the shoulder r thicker and wider than those behind the shoulder"...

30-Jun-16
Some great pics, Corey. Could you put up a pic showing what you consider the frontal kill zone of an elk?

30-Jun-16
I am glad Cheesehead Mike brought it up but his premise was immediately what I thought when Corey posted his pic. I felt like many treat the thoracic cavity as the hole in the iron buck target. I have no experience with the frontal but assumed that as long as a guy envisions his arrow passing through the heart/lung area you are good to go. As a novice to this shot I would envision the height I want my arrow to pass through the animal (as if I was shooting him broadside) and aim for the opposite hind quarter. I think of it as an inside out hamblaster. :)

Also....great thread guys and thank all of you for posting such cool content!

30-Jun-16
Great photo Corey. It's nice when there are photos to disprove inaccurate statements.

30-Jun-16
Thanks Corey.

30-Jun-16

joehunter8301's embedded Photo
16 yard frontal. Know anatomy and only take this shot close. This bull was standing where I am in this pic. See him dead on left side of pic?? Maybe 8 seconds? It's very deadly but only if you have confidence. I'll take it any day under the right conditions. Stupid thing was only a month befor that I passed on a deer frontal inside 13 yards. Bugs me I passed on that but I ended up killing him anyways.

30-Jun-16

Entrance. Arrow was poking thru between ribs an hide at last rib. Only 67# with a 400 grain arrow. vpa 3 blade.

30-Jun-16
Here's a side view on a Water Buffalo  photo IMG_1255.jpg

30-Jun-16
Heres a somewhat Cutaway View front on. Most people make the mistake of shooting to low on this shot, but there is a big sweet spot that has absolutely no bones to go through, any decent arrow set-up and broadhead, your arrow will disappear  photo IMG_1277-1.jpg

30-Jun-16

wvbownut's embedded Photo
wvbownut's embedded Photo
14 yard shot 8 inches below chin. Recovered less than 200 yards bleed like a stuck hog.

01-Jul-16
it'd almost be worth getting banned..... lol

01-Jul-16
Fuzzy, maybe for you. For the rest of us...not so much! ;-)

02-Jul-16
Corey, loved your video! Some nice animals here killed with frontal shots. I haven't had to do it yet, but have personally seen 3 shots from others. Two with good endings and one a very long track without the good ending. All 15 yds or less. I would use that shot in the right circumstance.

03-Jul-16
No one mentioned ones that went badly? Well, I have only attempted a frontal twice. I never did it with my compound since there is very little room for error. I started crossbow hunting about 3 years ago when my vision was getting testy. I could confidently thread a needle out to 30 yds with the crossbow. I had a buck come straight to my stand and stop full frontal at 15 yds. I wasn't going to shoot since his chest was not exposed. Then he heard something and turned his head and fully exposed his chest. Well I put the crosshair at the base of his neck and let it go. The deer spun at impact. I could see the blood pour out of him It didn't go more than about 3 steps and collapsed. The arrow exited out the last rib. Never had a deer go down so fast other than a spine hit. That's the good. The bad is I tried a frontal at 30 yds. The arrow hit high in the shoulder and did not penetrate the vitals. I had a sparse bloodtrail but never found the deer. No one ever found a deer by that description. These shots are very deadly when done right but a lot of room for error.

03-Jul-16
Hitting the deer or elk in the shoulder on a frontal shot will not produce a dead animal, it's wounded at best & most likely will not be recovered, good chance it will live minus serious infection.

I did provide a case above where a frontal shot went bad by myself! It's right here!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OK, if Bowfreak doesn't mind I'll share one that I screwed up on years ago! I'd called this nice 6 point bull, he came from aprox 150 yards out to my bugling, I could see the tips of his antlers over a volkswagon sized rock 30 yards out & he kept coming sidehilling the steep terrain. I needed him to go to the left of the large rock as he came in for a near 17 yard broadside shot, he didn't! He came to my right, his left, where it was a straighter course right at me. When he got to the rock I drew my bow, as he came slightly around the rock almost straight at me not noticing me at all standing there I settled the pin in the center of his chest & squeezed!

I knew the 2nd I let the arrow fly I was in trouble, his angle was such that hitting him dead center took the arrow on a course very close to the inside of his left leg, I had screwed up the shot! I should have placed the arrow closer to the inside of his right leg as if looking through the animal to reach his vitals.

I tracked that bull for the next 4 hours all over hell & never found him. At one point he climbed near 500' of elevation, I knew right then I was screwed! Yes, I believe he survived that shot, it didn't stop me from taking it again as I knew the error of my ways, since that bull I have not lost another to the frontal shot & have taken several more with it including the photo I shared above.

ElkNut1

03-Jul-16
Warthog,

The second photo of that water buffalo is really cool!!

03-Jul-16
"Here's a side view on a Water Buffalo"

Holy ribcage batman! Those things are huge! They look like baseball bats.

04-Jul-16
Lekker Andy....baie lekker!!

Just shows what a well placed arrow and sound knowledge of anatomy will achieve

04-Jul-16
As with ALL shots.... ya have to actually MAKE the shot.... a miss is a miss, frontal,broadside, no matter... or rather a miss is a mess... you have to KNOW you have that shot in the bag, no matter the shot... or don't take it. Using a "margin of error" to make the call I'm not comfortable with. I have to know this is my shot. The the best of my ability anyway... nothing in life/death is guaranteed...

There is a "comfort zone" of sorts when drawing on an animal. If not comfortable don't take the shot, take a breath, slow things down.... beauty is in the bow-holder.... the bow-holder calls the shots....

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with not taking a shot.

04-Jul-16
It would be great for all concerned if some guys could post " dot" pics of the angles and location when taking this shot.

Deadly yes, no question, jus t have to know where to send the arrow.

Great pics all.

04-Jul-16

Here's a photo to start!

ElkNut1

04-Jul-16
Could ya be a little more realistic like maybe a spike or 4 pointer! } >>>>>~~~~~>

04-Jul-16
I shoot the above bull in elknuts pic a tad higher- and have,grin- to stay away from the ribcage

04-Jul-16

BUGLELK's embedded Photo
BUGLELK's embedded Photo

BUGLELK's Link
I agree Beendare.

Paul, I would aim just a touch higher than where that red "x" is placed, just to make sure the arrow doesn't glance off the ribs and end up sliding along the ribcage. At that angle, the odds of the arrow glancing is definitely minimized, but aiming a tad higher will reduce that chance even more.

I like to visualize where I would aim if the elk was broadside, and I would be about 2-3 inches higher than that, and I'd probably pull the arrow over an inch or two to the left.

Corey

04-Jul-16
Good points guys! No doubt either shot mentioned & shown would work. The photo I showed above is where I took that bull with a longbow where red X is shown.

ElkNut1

05-Jul-16

cityhunter's embedded Photo
dead in seconds !!!

05-Jul-16

came into a bugle shot was about 10 yards.If u hunt elk solo this sometimes is your only shot!!!!!

05-Jul-16
Buglelk, good photo

City's shot is what I call the collar and its the same as that frontal shot on hard quartering to you as it takes the same path through that hole in the frontal skeleton- agreed, its deadly.

05-Jul-16
Corey, in your vid/pic, it looks like the bull is a little quartered, but I know camera angles can make throw off the true angle. How straight/quartered was that bull to you when you shot?

Louis, I'm also curious how quartered that bull was to you.

06-Jul-16
The bull was really close to straight on when I shot (Maybe a VERY slight angle). The arrow went in at the dot and lodged in the right hip...took out jugular/carotid, lungs, and most of the organs inside the body cavity.

06-Jul-16

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
OK, I will play. I had never even considered the shot until I had watched and Abe & Son video mentioning the shot. I thought long and hard and studied the anatomy of an elk.

On my second elk hunt, this dumb one came in. (We didn't even call, the bull was separated from the herd, spotted us and came in to investigate. I dropped to my knees, nocked and arrow and came to full draw as he trotted in. My buddy was standing about 10' behind me. (You can see how open the area was). I tried to get on the ribcage and I just couldn't do it. I then remembered my anatomy lesson. He was so close (8 yards) I could see where his windpipe went into chest cavity. I aimed about 2" lower and let fly. My buddy saw him throw blood as he whirled. I could see the arrow hanging out of his hip. (You run a Snuffer tipped 2315 lengthwise through a critter, it will not bode well for the critter) We watched him trot off and tip over.

You can see the exit wound just in front of the fletching. About 2/3's of the arrow was hanging out of him and he bent arrow when he tipped over.

07-Jul-16

westaner's embedded Photo
Pic of 5 year old 300 inch bull rib cage

07-Jul-16

07-Jul-16

Under spine to top of back bone

07-Jul-16

This is my bull from 6 or 8 years ago, bad shot but died within 100 yds no blood in cavity. You can see organs perfectly

07-Jul-16

07-Jul-16

07-Jul-16

My bull 8 years ago bad shot no blood in chest cavity but died within 100yds

07-Jul-16
Here's the real deal, if you don't have the balls to hit a golf ball at 20 yards you have no businesss takin' the shot!!!!

It's deadly, but if you don't have the skill or the stones, then pass casue you w ill F$%@(*& it up for sure.

07-Jul-16

Caddisflinger's Link
This has been hashed and rehashe.....etc...good info.

07-Jul-16
Why a golf ball Caddis? Look at the anatomy pictures above. I can't see why golf ball accuracy is that critical. Obviously we all would love to have golf ball accuracy but I am pretty sure that even cantaloupe accuracy would suffice.

Do you apply this same standard to a guy shooting a whitetail broadside? If this is our standard, very few people are capable of shooting well enough to kill anything.

07-Jul-16

otcWill's embedded Photo
otcWill's embedded Photo
Ike, I'm guessing you're wondering just how steep a quartering angle can still be lethal. I shot this bull on a very hard quartering to angle from point blank. The arrow entered a lot like where Louis' last pic looks. This pic is a bit deceiving due to the neck being turned. The exit was about 4" behind where I'd aim on a broadside shot. The heart and carotid were both destroyed and the bull was down in seconds. If you can keep cool and hit your mark there are few if any quartering to shots that aren't high odds at close range. All the good stuff is up front.

07-Jul-16
Count those squares in Westaner's pic. More than 14 sq inches of opening

Lots of golf balls can go thru there - at once

07-Jul-16
Looks like a golf ball can go right through otcWill's entry hole :)

07-Jul-16
Yes, opening is similar in size to a good size cantaloupe. Too, the bones in a live animal are softer & easier to break/penetrate than a set of ribs being sun cooked for months, at that time they are much harder & denser.

ElkNut1

07-Jul-16
I read these "frontal shot" threads whenever they come up. The thing that concerns me most is the argument about "the average bow hunter" not being able to make the shot. In my mind if a guy can't hit a cantaloupe at 20 or even thirty yards he shouldn't be bow hunting in the first place. Shoot the broadside kill zone on a deer sized animal is much larger.

07-Jul-16
I've killed quite a few animals from many different angles over the years.

With the 2 elk that I killed with frontal shots, once my sight pin settled on the bull there was no doubt in my mind that those bulls were going to die.

Most of us are very confident in our shooting ability and when you have a bull facing you at 20 yards or less, the kill zone is relatively large.

The 2 frontal shots that I've taken on elk were easier than many of the broadside shots I've killed whitetails with and easier than some of the broadside shots I've killed elk with.

07-Jul-16
Thanks guys for all your knowledge. I read this site everyday. Scott

07-Jul-16

every year its the same old same old LOL every frontal shot i have taken from the ground has resulted in dead critters in seconds never has one gone out of view !!!!

07-Jul-16

ouch !!!!

• Sitka Gear