Glunt@work 30-Jun-16
BULELK1 30-Jun-16
cnelk 30-Jun-16
CK 30-Jun-16
wildwilderness 30-Jun-16
28-Jun-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Some BIG Pref Point holders went for the newly created GMU 61 Rifle season!

30 tags - 19 PPs was the minimum

Will this season now qualify for a Hybrid tag?

28-Jun-16
Min. NR 23 points wow! What season dates? Is this new or an additional rifle season

28-Jun-16
Hybrid tags (codes requiring 10+ points) are based on a 3 year average ending in 2009. Not sure what 3 years they will use for this one since its new. But, a guy with points wanting to get the tag may be smart to do it now since once (if) it goes hybrid, there are 20% less tags available for the top point holders.

61 archery isn't hybrid yet and its been over 10 points for more than 3 years.

28-Jun-16
Yeah I threw my 3 points in on that one this year....would be a fun Hunt. guess I'll need to wait another 20 years +!

28-Jun-16
I can't find the link. Could someone post a link to the elk, deer, and sheep recap?

Thanks

28-Jun-16

Glunt@work's Link
Linky

28-Jun-16
Thks!

28-Jun-16
A bit annoying that the archery tag allocation for 61 was cut from 100 tags in 2014 to 95 tags in 2015 to 90 tags in 2016. Apparently you need to do that if you're planning to add 30 firearms bull tags in the rut. They also took some tags out of 1st Rifle and a few out of Muzz. My opinion these new tags should've all come out of the existing firearms seasons.

Interesting side note, and possibly even more annoying for archery hunters, is that a resident 1st rifle tag in 61 was much easier to draw this year. Rifle hunters were apparently more focused on trying to draw the new early season. It only took residents 10 PP to guarantee 1st rifle, compared to 12 PP the prior year. At the same time, the points required for an archery tag did not reduce for residents, and for NR's the relentless upward point creep continued. Which means that the demand for the new early rifle hunt came from firearms hunters, not bow hunters. Leaving the question of why the cut in archery tags, instead of taking all these from 1st-4th rifle.

28-Jun-16
DAU 61/62 is trying to raise Elk numbers. According to CO. Less permits for the area

28-Jun-16
I was in 61 last year and ran into the Game Warden. We spoke for a long time and he told me about the proposed[at that time]new season. He said one of the reasons they were proposing this was to create a new hunt that would burn some high[18 or more] point holders and take some pressure off of other hunts. It does appear to have worked in that regard as far as rifle hunts are concerned. He also told me that all of the hunts would come out of other rifle hunts, as they should, but that was clearly not true, and at the expense of bow hunters.

Another thing he told me was that they would like to make 62 a restricted unit. Their feeling is that it would create a large area[61, 62, and 40] that would rival the block of 2, 10, and 201 as far as producing really big bulls is concerned. He sad they felt that a lot of bulls from 61 summered in 62 and that some of them got killed in 62 before they moved back into 61, which hurts the trophy potential.

I am personally all for this plan. 62 is a very large unit and if the trophy potential increased in 61 and 62 it would take pressure off of the Northwest corner and provide a lot more trophy tags. It's an interesting idea in any case.

29-Jun-16
Nothing's free. 62 has a lot of OTC hunters. If it goes limited, those hunters are pushed into some other OTC units increasing crowding.

I know a lot of the locals don't want to lose the ability to hunt there or the revenue that the OTC numbers generates.

29-Jun-16
"Will this season now qualify for a Hybrid tag? "

NO. If you noticed at the last 5yr Plan they did not add any hunts to the Hybrid draw, even though more qualified. The Regs state- qualified hunts are "based on a 3-year average ending with the 2009 drawing"

The last 5 yr plan had many controversial proposals and the "status quo" was settled on as better than loosing opportunities for public hunters and archery.

29-Jun-16
Glunt, I'm sure you are right that a lot of people would be against it. 62 is a big unit that provides an opportunity for a lot of hunters. Opposition will be huge if this gets proposed. I am personally in favor because I would like to see Colorado manage more units for quality instead of quantity, but I don't think it will happen. Parks and Wildlife doesn't want to lose income and that seems to always be their reasoning for huge numbers of hunters.

30-Jun-16
It's a tough situation. Hard for the CPW to take action that will reduce revenue. Hard for communities to go along with reducing the economic boost that comes from hunting.

Supply won't increase but demand will. It might be time to try some some steps to increase bull quality without taking away tags. I'm not a biologist, but I think trying a 6pt minimum in a group of lower demand limited units could have merit. No reduction in tags. It seems like after a couple years the average bull age would increase. Obviously not all bulls become 6pt and certainly there would be some mistake kills under the minimum, but I think those instances would be low enough to not have a big impact.

If it worked, it would of course increase demand which would not be good for guys that hunt there who aren't concerned with trophy quality. There will always be an impact on some group.

Not a new idea. It's been floated by others but I don't think the CPW had much interest in it.

30-Jun-16
I don't see any LO tags in the tag breakdown??

Am I missing something here or are they taken out before and not reflected in the draw tag allocation?

Good luck, Robb

30-Jun-16
Upper right on the chart

3 unrestricted / 3 restricted

30-Jun-16
The DOW tried to make 62 limited for elk about ten years ago. Businesses in Montrose came out in force against it. I doubt it will be tried again but I would love to see it.

30-Jun-16
"LO tags in the tag breakdown??"

Also in the Green Box, top middle it shows the break down of the quotas showing the 3 and 3 for Land Owners. Then the grey box middle right shows how many points it took for the LO tags, 1 LOPP for Unit wide and 0 LOPP for PLO voucher.

• Sitka Gear