Elkaddict 11-Jul-16
outdoorsman 11-Jul-16
Jaquomo 11-Jul-16
ELKMAN 12-Jul-16
cnelk 12-Jul-16
ohiohunter 12-Jul-16
Bronc@work 15-Jul-16
29-Jun-16
What is the best, single piece of elk hunting advice you ever got?

Pls share

29-Jun-16
Lace up your boots and keep moving until you find them

29-Jun-16
An old cowboy on horseback I met back in the elk woods told me this 40 years ago: "The elk are where you find 'em".

Still holds true today, whether deep in the wilderness or 150yards from a state highway.

29-Jun-16
Bruce, looks like we were posting at the same time! :)

29-Jun-16
The entire Big Dan interview from a couple years back.

29-Jun-16
They don't all live in the trees....

29-Jun-16
Yeah, Lou....well is it just as the saying goes, "Great minds...."

or is it the old rock group, Simple Minds? Grin

29-Jun-16
"You need to become a killer. Don't pass any elk for a few years, learn how to kill them. A cow or spike with your bow is a big deal. Make some kills first then you can worry about shooting a big bull"

29-Jun-16
Second best was from Big Dan, to knock out my bottom two incisors so I can bugle like him..

29-Jun-16
When the odds are in the elk's favor, be patient. When the odds are in your favor, be aggressive...just don't be stupid aggressive.

29-Jun-16
I was clickin' all over this... but lost me at "elk advice"....

29-Jun-16
Near 25 years ago a good friend told me "Not To Worry About Your Camo" -- Good advice!

ElkNut1

29-Jun-16
Elk are where you find them

29-Jun-16
If you kill one more than a few hundred yards off a road, bring a frying pan and plenty of salt and pepper.

29-Jun-16
Hunt surrounding areas with the highest water on the mountain!

ElkNut1

29-Jun-16
Hunt uphill from the trail. Easier to pack out.

29-Jun-16
Laughed out loud at TDs post, too good!

29-Jun-16
Never give up!

29-Jun-16
Stand up with your back against something, don't try to hide in the bushes on your knees.

This advice was on an old Wayne Carlton video, I had several bad experiences that drove that one home for me.

30-Jun-16
If hunting solo always move after calling so a bull won't have you pegged as he comes into your setup.

BP

30-Jun-16
Make sure you have extra toilet paper. Always.

Most elk hunters lie about where they're hunting and what they're seeing.

The further you pack in, the closer you get to other roads and other hunters. Don't remember who said that but most of the time it proves true in Colorado.

30-Jun-16
Trust your ears.

30-Jun-16
"Don't be afraid of the dark. Most people are leaving when serious hunters are just getting started"

30-Jun-16
"The most important elk sign is the four hoof prints that are still filled with hooves."

Basically he meant move and find some elk to hunt.

30-Jun-16
Learn how to use the WIND.....

30-Jun-16
Hunt where the elk are....not where they were.

30-Jun-16
Get as close to the bull as you can before you call.

30-Jun-16
Lots of good nuggets, but they all go hand in hand for the most part, once ones fulfilled, the next one kicks in! My favorite is the hunt uphill to pack out downhill.

30-Jun-16
Forget what you know about hunting whitetails.

30-Jun-16
Ambush! Figure out where they are going and get in the way!

30-Jun-16
If you're in a slump, just get up and make a small plan. Then do it. THen make another small plan. One step at a time.

30-Jun-16
dont make direct eye contact when there close

30-Jun-16
My old man use to tell me when I was a kid "just hike till you find the elk."

30-Jun-16
"you can't kill an elk sitting in camp"

30-Jun-16
Find elk then start hunting. Check the wind constantly.

30-Jun-16
Ignore experienced elk hunters at your own peril.

(Listen, don't speak.)

30-Jun-16
Draw early

hunt the wind

PERSISTENCE!

30-Jun-16
Many years ago when I first started hunting elk I was told to "walk up and stick em". Pretty simplified but when you are a tree stand whitetail hunter it goes against everything I learned to move on an animal.

30-Jun-16
......"They don't all live in the trees".... got me laughing out loud.... thanks Michael......

30-Jun-16
Hunt FOR the elk, then hunt for the ELK

30-Jun-16
Shoot a heavy arrow!

30-Jun-16
"When the odds are in the elk's favor, be patient. When the odds are in your favor, be aggressive...just don't be stupid aggressive." I should write this on the back of my hand.

30-Jun-16
-If you're not seeing fresh Elk sign,keep moving.

-The wind in the middle of the day will betray you.

30-Jun-16
"Why are you working so hard to breathe...there's no oxygen up here"!

30-Jun-16
Don't overcook it

30-Jun-16
Double post

30-Jun-16
"Why are you working so hard to breathe...there's no oxygen up here"!

Hahaha

30-Jun-16
After a jeep accident and serious break to ankle bone, the orthopedic surgeon who was tending to me told me that if I did not want to wind up being stiff legged, I needed to stop doing strenuous mountain hunts that my ankle could no longer handle the pressure that would be required.. That ended my mountain hunting career and some 40 years later I can still walk without any issues and hunt within my limitations.

30-Jun-16
Don't go anywhere without your bow

02-Jul-16
Elk are where you find them:)

02-Jul-16
Elk can see out of cover way easier than you can see into cover. Plan accordingly.

02-Jul-16

02-Jul-16
When you set up get in front of cover not behind it. I see a lot of videos where they are behind a tree or bush and the elk comes in and they cant take a close shot because the animal is on the other side of the cover. Get in front and set up with some shooting lanes. Make sure you have room to draw your bow too.

02-Jul-16
Always be ready to shoot an elk. More elk are missed out on due to people not being ready than anything else.

Learned that the hard way dozens of times.

03-Jul-16
Can't eat horns.

Just went to the funeral of the man who told me this over thirty years ago.

He was 87, and grew up in tough times.

03-Jul-16
"Use a 7 mag"

04-Jul-16
Since practice and experience makes for better elk wisdom, the best elk hunting advice I ever got was, "Marry that woman!"

I did, and for most of our 27 years I've spent my summers taking her walleye fishing, in exchange for a kitchen pass to do all the hunting I can stand/afford. My since-departed uncle gave me that wise advice. When I someday see him again in the "up yonder" (as he called it), I'm gonna thank him for that advice.

04-Jul-16
Take up carp fishing.

04-Jul-16
BIGDAN: "if it's your first one just kill one"...maybe not a direct quote but pretty close. It stuck with me because I'd drawn some killer tags and had held out for the monsters the units were known for. No luck. Then I killed a crab claw 6x6 and the pressure was off.

04-Jul-16
This is all gold...definitely going to be adding this thread to my 'Top Tips' PDF collection in due course...

05-Jul-16
Put your nose into the wind and keep walking until your bump into them, then shoot one. Works for hogs too....

05-Jul-16
Don't go hunting in a cornfield with Ned and don't ask Pat about his preference in undergarments....

08-Jul-16
I tell young and upcoming hunters "if you want to chase elk, don't get married...unless she can pack like a mule!".

08-Jul-16
"Son, it's good thing you didn't let that arrow fly. We are a long ways back and would have lost most of that elk trying to get it out."

This was said to me when I was much, much younger by my dad as we explored/hunted a new area.

Ever since then I have always been mindful of where I am and have a plan to pack my elk out.

08-Jul-16
tobinsghost - and that is exactly why I'm single

08-Jul-16
ELF

09-Jul-16
A couple of my own: - "The best way to kill a Bull is to get where he wants to be before he does..." - "Refuse to give up your location..." - "Doing things the Right Way, for the Right Reasons..."

09-Jul-16
"Don't waste your money on a Saskatchewan archery Elk licence".

09-Jul-16
"You need to convince him that you are something he wants or you have something he wants."

09-Jul-16
The key to getting in close & killing elk is Reading The Situation & be willing to adjust accordingly! Not all elk are called no more than all elk can be spot or call & stalk!

ElkNut1

11-Jul-16
Another good one: "Don't get sucked into wasting your hard earned money on every miracle Elk calling scheme that gets thrown at you..." (As of today NO ONE has actually spoken to an Elk to find out what they mean when they do "X" or say "Y".) GRIN! GRIN! GRIN! LMAO!

11-Jul-16

patdel's Link
Elkman. ??

11-Jul-16
"Don't go hunting in a cornfield with Ned and don't ask Pat about his preference in undergarments.... MadTrapper"

Hahahahahahahaha too funny!

11-Jul-16
Go elk hunting.

11-Jul-16

outdoorsman's embedded Photo
outdoorsman's embedded Photo
The ole outdoorsman ( My first message) Huge bulls are like old elk hunters ; They like to do it the easy-way. I am 80 , Have taken many big bills (archery). Find the place where the water, food & safe resting area are available with the least effort for the huge old bull. Timed right , any call will work . Near the end of the rut when the dominate bull has taken over, is the time ! This works best for the solo hunter; No helpers of any type. It took me 45 years to learn all the above . My best bull - 410 score, I was 76. I'm 99% healthy & ready for this years challenge.

11-Jul-16
Wow, outdoorsman, great insights, great bull. Looking forward to more posts from you! Good luck this season!

12-Jul-16
"outdoorsman: The ole outdoorsman ( My first message) Huge bulls are like old elk hunters ; They like to do it the easy-way. I am 80 , Have taken many big bills (archery). Find the place where the water, food & safe resting area are available with the least effort for the huge old bull. Timed right , any call will work . Near the end of the rut when the dominate bull has taken over, is the time ! This works best for the solo hunter; No helpers of any type. It took me 45 years to learn all the above . My best bull - 410 score, I was 76. I'm 99% healthy & ready for this years challenge."

WOW! Is right! Great insight and I've never really heard that angle on the really old bulls, but thinking about it now... ;-)

12-Jul-16
I'm glad to hear that I have 24 more years to shoot a 410 bull!

Thanks for all the replies of the single most important piece of advice in everyone's own arena.

Of course there are many more tid bits of information but the intent of this thread was to get each poster's single best.

It's great to see more than the familiar members post too :)

12-Jul-16
Attend the UEH!

15-Jul-16
Elk may see you and hear you and not leave,BUT if they smell you they are gone!

• Sitka Gear