Wildcountry 22-Aug-16
Ambush 22-Aug-16
SBH 22-Aug-16
Beendare 22-Aug-16
spookinelk 22-Aug-16
30-Jun-16

spookinelk's embedded Photo
spookinelk's embedded Photo
I bought this decoy spur of the moment at a shoot last weekend, what do you guys think about a bow mounted decoy for a solo hunter?

30-Jun-16
looks like a wonderful idea.

30-Jun-16
Not a bad idea at all.

I wasted my fair share of coin on similar stuff like that over the years.

Ya got a link/product name a guy could look into one of them?

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

30-Jun-16
I have multiple Heads Up Decoys and have been using them for years. IMO nothing is as good as HUD. Is it elk season yet?!?!?!

30-Jun-16
spookinelk, I got the same one and already owned the deer. They work great for me. I'll be using it this September.

30-Jun-16
Don't use it muzzleloader week :). I bought the turkey decoys after watching them feed all weekend. Ultimate Predator has some pretty interesting products.

30-Jun-16
Its an ultimate predator decoy, I actually shot a 3d round with it on Sunday, pretty light and it folds up into a 12" disk like a car sun shade. I'm hoping its the ticket to get some of the bulls that hang up on me to come in it has an orange strap that you can use to keep from getting shot(hopefully).

30-Jun-16
I've also ordered the deer and elk for the upcoming season.

My experience with Head's Up, is that it's sort of a PIA and not conducive to run-and-gun elk hunting. Additionally, I've broken the thing down and now can't seem to get the thing to sit right anymore.

Elkmountaingear elk butt is one I always have as just having an umbrella-walking stick is worth bringing it, whether you use it or not.

I'm hoping the new ultimate predator gear decoy will go on the bow as quickly as they say it does.

30-Jun-16
I tried mounting the heads up decoy to my bow using the mounting bracket but couldn't get it to balance well.

01-Jul-16
Sppok-- lets see the side angle and the behind angle of that decoy. Thanks

01-Jul-16
Nice looking design. I agree with Idyl on the HUD and I'm hoping this one works out well this fall. Please keep us posted.

01-Jul-16
"not conducive to run and gun hunting"? Huh? Light, quick, easy, realistic, and VERY versatile. To each their own, that's what makes the world go round!

01-Jul-16
Here's the link to their website:

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/product/elk-decoy/

02-Jul-16
looks very usable. Don't think I would us it on bow but would mount it to bush or tree. They sure seem overpriced.

02-Jul-16
I picked one up, very cool for sure. I would only use it attached to my bow for specific encounters. Outside of that I haven't found the need to use a decoy in running & gunning elk hunting or setups.

I will add that their attaching system to your bow is weak, I'm going to attach a stretchable bungy cord top & bottom of decoy so I can quickly stretch it over bottom & top limb bolts. This should take seconds to attach, that's what I'm looking for, no setup time & no stakes. For me it will be an on the move decoy.

ElkNut1

02-Jul-16
How well does the bow mount decoy work in the wind?

03-Jul-16
All I can say is check with blue light for UVs. The Montana decoys are completely saturated with UV brighteners and are probably costing guys more elk than killing them...

04-Jul-16
I own decoys but haven't used them much due to setups that are tight where elk must be in bowrange to see source of calling, this has reduced hangups & reasons for a decoy!

However I've been in situations where I had felt a Decoy could have been an asset. I do not want something large or I have to pick up & move or setup. I want a running & gunning type decoy that takes seconds to employ. With the Predator one I just picked up I doubt wind would be a factor at all. It would only be used to head straight at the bull or in a tight spot where he's coming & I feel a visual by him may be needed. I like the decoy that attaches to the bow idea for my style of elk hunting. I foresee no wind issues.

ElkNut1

05-Jul-16

BULELK1's Link
Not a bad idea-----

Under $90 out the door with shipping.....

Why not--haha

Good luck, Robb

05-Jul-16
I wouldn't touch it with ten foot pole.

The last thing I need is something that will limit my view of the target, make it harder to move through the trees and the brush, and worst of all, be a 'wind-catcher,' thus causing the wind to make my bow move.

This looks like something that was designed by some geek who has never actually been in the field.

05-Jul-16
I agree that in the wind they'll be of limited use, but most of my elk hunting is done in thick woods for the first 2 hours of the day and I've not had to deal with much wind.

As far as limiting the view of the target, I'll judge that once I get in on the bow and look at it. I wonder how much of an issue it'll be.

All decoys are a PIA in the end. It's going to be difficult going through brush, but I think the idea is that you get within 100 yards of a bugling bull, then put it on. I wouldn't walk around with it on. All decoys are a trade-off between the benefit of having them around and the how they encumber the hunt.

I'm actually more excited about using it for mule deer than elk.

05-Jul-16
Ike,

The decoy is in your pack.

You get within 100 yards of a hot bull.

Then NOW you're going to take your pack off, hook the decoy on to your bow and move in on the bull?

Really?

Good luck with that!

05-Jul-16
yup, it's going to be a challenge. That's why I said in my initial post that I hope they go on the bow as quickly as they do in the demo on their website.

I already carry one or two different elk decoys and use them about 25% of the time due to situational demands. I can see how this can make a difference in certain situations, like when a bull won't commit and you have to move in on him or you encounter a herd in a park and need to get just a little bit closer to shoot the bull and there's 20 sets of eyes on whatever that is lurking in the trees that sounds like a cow but won't come out from behind the tree.

05-Jul-16
I don't have one of these decoys. I don't like extra contraptions I don't need on my bow. I often remove my quiver before I plan to draw my bow. The bow mounted decoy is a potential noise maker. Will they be silent when a branch brushes across it? What about other times? I like a good decoy, but I am not fond of what I see with a bow mounted one.

05-Jul-16
Paul summed up most of how I was thinking about employing the decoy, I'm going to give it a try in about 52 days:). I also appreciate the dissenting opinions on it. My plan is to attach Velcro semi permanently on my bow so I can open it up and just stick it on without fooling with weaving straps into the bow riser. I also have a plan to make a belt mounted carrier for it so it's accessible without digging in my pack. I guess time will tell if it's effective or not.....

05-Jul-16
As soon as I have it done I'll post photos of how slick this will attach & how quickly, there is definitely a place for this mobile decoy. The more you run & gun & call in countless elk many will find there is certainly a place for it in ones arsenal. I may only use it once this year but you can bet when I do it's for a reason!

ElkNut1

05-Jul-16
I was thinking that I'd just leave the velcro on while hunting, then it'd just be a matter of popping it out and sticking it on. Seems that rolled up in your pack with a piece of paracord that was cut and permanently tied to the size that would wrap around it would keep it wound up in the pack.

06-Jul-16
A little strip of velco is a benefit.

I used the Bowbrella back in the day----I still have it....it screwed into the stabilizer hole....shoot thru it--

In the wind it was a PITA but I did some great stalks with it and got many shots/harvests over the years.

I still have it in one of my hunting gear drawers.

I always thought Jeff would come up with something like it as his elkmntgear is very similar in theory.

Good luck, Robb

06-Jul-16
Elk Hypnosis......look deep into my eyes.........not sure how you say that in elk though. ;)

21-Aug-16

UltimatePred's Link
Hello, my name is Lance, and I'm one of the owners of Ultimate Predator. We are very excited to be a new Bowsite sponsor!

I wanted to make sure all of you guys know we are running a special discount for just Bowsite members. Receive 10% off of any of our products through August by using promo code Bowsite10% during checkout.

I also wanted to take a moment to thank each of you who have already purchased our products. Thank you Spookinelk, GotBowAZ, Kadbow (I hope you have as much fun with our Wind Drifter Turkeys as we do), ldyllwildArcher, and ElkNut1. We greatly appreciate your business and wish you guys the best of luck this season!

22-Aug-16
it is worth of a try of course and will likely work in the right conditions of cover, weather and elk. on the other hand, i would not be surprised if some elk spook when they see it.

i would rather the elk be focused on the decoy and not me. the Montana elk decoy of the cow elk's butt is a good decoy for a bowhunter.

22-Aug-16
We think Montanas are great decoys. If anyone already owns one, we suggest they use both. Ours gives the hunter the ability to move if he/she needs to.

22-Aug-16
I just bought one of the ultimate predator decoys and I have to say the service was awesome. Ordered one day and received it the next day - Colorado Springs to Longmont short distance but still fast. One advantage I see to the system is it will hide your movement when you draw. I've been practicing with it and it hasn't affected my aim point and honestly I don't notice the weight either.

22-Aug-16
I ordered the moose decoy and since I already have a homemade one for my bow and a set of deer shoulder blades that I pack around anyway, this should be a move up.

There is a muskox in the NWT that has to be taken care of first, but September is caribou and moose. There is a high bull to cow ratio in the area I'm going and plenty of low brush, so this decoy should be a natural.

Maybe Ultimate Predator will be so excited with my adventures, they will sponsor me with other free decoys!?!?

22-Aug-16
Lance- Appreciate how you handled your responses. Well done. Wish you the best with your endeavor, looks like you have a great product and great service.

22-Aug-16
i bet its deadly....just plan on shooting that frontal shot....

22-Aug-16
I've been practicing deploying the decoy and shooting with it for about a month now, I can't say it is hurting my shooting,even in the wind, The weight actually feels a little better to me.

I'm hoping for a defensive frontal shot...

• Sitka Gear