Rut Nut 05-Jul-16
W 05-Jul-16
stealthycat 05-Jul-16
ELKMAN 05-Jul-16
fawn 07-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher 07-Jul-16
30-Jun-16

houndy65's Link
We need a hunting season, the grizzly numbers are way over board.

30-Jun-16
Very sad to hear. A hunting season should be considered now that the numbers are up. My here is a video on you tube of a mountain biker being chased by a griz, not sure if it's real or not .

30-Jun-16
Read the comments after this article. Pretty damn sickening.

30-Jun-16
Sad and unfortunate deal.

Jason, I agree. The volume of stupid comments from all aspects and angles was really sad.

Prayers to the family.

30-Jun-16
I heard this on the news, but had no idea it was a park ranger.

Sounds like he was in the wrong place at the wrong time and did not have bear spray or a weapon.

This is one of the reasons I carry my pistol while riding my mountain bike. Also while running, be it trails or roads. We don't have grizzlies, but a large population of black bears.

Prayers to the family and his partner. Very unfortunate incident!

30-Jun-16
The story of my attack last fall made the news wires. It was sickening to read the comments. Several people wished the bear finished me off. If something isn't done soon, these incidents will escalate.

03-Jul-16
Wow read the comments, We live with some ignorant people on this planet.

I cannot believe humans would place the life of a bear over the lives of humans. cannot fathom it. Wow.

My heart hurts for the family, friends and co-workers, my heart hurts the community.

oz

03-Jul-16
Sad to hear about this. This incident is why the NPS doesn't allow bicycles on the hiking trails in Yellowstone. So far as best defense....the studies on grizzly attacks show that bear spray has a better average of letting you survive than a gun. Why? Pretty simple, actually. The gun has to be dead on to be effective and I really don't many folks at all who can be faced with a charging grizzly, pull their weapon out, and shoot straight, especially if the grizzly surprised you as much as you surprised the grizzly. Now bear spray.....you just have to be pointing it in the right direction when you let it loose. It puts out a pretty wide fog that, when the bear hits it, typically stops them.

03-Jul-16
Lets say a bear attacks when you're in a tent

or

when its windy...

Something to think about

03-Jul-16
cnelk says like I see it, if the spray ends up back in your face, now you become totally incapacitated to defend yourself for what chance there is left.

at the risk of public whipping, I will also cast doubt on the studies on the subject of firearms vs. sprays. Lets just say that the study owners usually have a certain outcome to be substantiated with what ever information they publish.

03-Jul-16
I have been charged twice. One time I had bear spray on my hip and a rifle leaning against the tree I was standing next to. In this case I was hunting moose and had a brown bear sow charge to within ten feet and stand on my backpack. I missed her once with a quick shot and held off shooting her at ten feet since she stopped the charge at that distance. Later when my friend asked why I didn't use the bear spray, I looked down at the canister on my hip and said "forgot I had it".

These instances happen so very quickly. In both instances I only had mere seconds to react. Whatever you end up carrying to protect yourself, make sure you are comfortable using it and can access it very very quickly.

03-Jul-16
cnelk, I agree, which is why I carry both.

easeup, while that's too often the truth, there were two studies run at the same time independently that came to this conclusion. One was from the University of Wyoming. I can't remember where the other originated from, but I think it was from the U of MT, but it may have been from WA.

I looked at both studies closely since I hunt in Grizz country every year. I focused more so on the U of WY study. The U of WY is not known for being a bastion of liberal thinking. The study appeared properly done and the data were pretty straight forward.

I carry bear spray and a .45

03-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher: You didn't state the outcome of the studies, but I am assuming they both said the spray was more effective, correct?

MQQSE: thanks for making my point about being able to hit a bear sized target when in a defensive mode.

It appears that in this case, it would not have made any difference what the guy was carrying. The preliminary report says that the biker can into the bear, the reacted by attacking him, killed him very quickly, and then ran off. The bear did not consume any part of him nor linger in the area. With that information, it was concluded the bear was only defending itself from something, doing what a bear would do naturally, and will not be hunted down. You may find this weird, but I have to agree with that finding. I worked in Yellowstone for two summers. In fact I worked with the guy who was killed last year neat the lake. We both had the same philosophy.....if a bear gets us, give the bear a free ride as we are in their territory, not him in ours. I know that Lance is turning over in his grave that the bear that killed him was euthanized. And yes, I am an ardent hunter.

03-Jul-16
The spray may be better for some. I reload and shoot thousands of rounds a year in big bore revolvers. H110 loads pushing 240-310 grain hard cast lead bullets at maximum velocity's I often practice it one handed. I'll take my best chance with a fire belching, bone splitting magnum over a can of spray. The percussion coming out the end of those guns are just a big a detriment as a mist of bear spray. I promise you that.

That said, I plan on carrying both if I'm blessed to ever hunt where the Grizzly lives. I like to be prepared. God Bless

03-Jul-16
He was a Forest Service Law Enforcement not a Park Ranger

03-Jul-16
Not sure why people think a hunting season will "learn them bears to fear us". There were about 61 killed around Yellowstone last year. Quite a few by crossing roads. They still cross roads. Quite a few because they killed a few sheep and cattle. They will always kill sheep and cattle. Some because they got into food campers left out. Food? In the fall???

They may well be delisted, but if the states come up with a hunting season, it will only be for the money. Coyote opportunity. Quite a few thousand in the coffers.

The first guy who kills one in a legal hunt will instantly replace Martin Shkrelil as the most hated man on earth. The term "trophy hunter" will be used as justification that hunters only want to kill, ego driven, nothing else.

Better come up with a good grizz recipe.

05-Jul-16
Sorry Dan. Didn't know there was a difference. Out East here they call them all Rangers. Just assumed it was the same out West.

05-Jul-16
MarkU, the reason you have hunting seasons is that you have a renewable resource. If you give hunters a chance to hunt them, you put more value for the species in the eyes of the hunting community. Then it will be more likely that the hunting community will be more concerned with the long term well being of the grizzly. Take a look at the alligator hunting in the south these days. A nuisance animal has turned into a prized trophy.

05-Jul-16
after a person is killed by a bear is too late to do anything

fawn - if you are ever attacked by a bear, I would imagine having a weapon to defend yourself would be a very desirable thing during the attack.

If you choose to be defenseless in the world that's your choice, but me? I want a gun. Evens things a bit on a grizzly that's many times bigger and powerful than I am.

05-Jul-16
The comment section tells you all you need to know about the current state of our society. Very sad...

07-Jul-16
Stealthycat, I prefer bear spray in grizzly territory. That is far from not having a weapon. I have one friend who died because he didn't believe in guns, much less spray. I have another friend who used it twice, both times stopping the bear in their tracks and getting them to retreat. IMHO, the reason to carry a gun in the woods is protection from two legged predators!

07-Jul-16
Yup. The spray edged out the gun.

As far as having a hunting season, it'll take a while, but it will educate the bears. The bears up here in AK are a different breed/culture of bears and typically run from humans because they've been taught by their mothers to flee because they're shot at. Lower 48 bears don't have the same fear because for generations, they've been protected.

One need look no further than the study that showed the collared bears and GPS marked hunters being followed by grizz and chased off of elk kills after the rifle sound. Rifle shots are not dinner bells in Canada and AK where they're not protected.

Those aggressive bears will be the first to go once we have a season.

• Sitka Gear