Paul@thefort 01-Jul-16
kscowboy 02-Jul-16
Bowboy 02-Jul-16
WapitiBob 02-Jul-16
ElkNut1 02-Jul-16
HDBOW 03-Jul-16
Iowabowhunter 07-Jul-16
30-Jun-16
What sight are you using and how do you set it up? I know many set for a specific range and leave it and only dial if the distance is past a given know drop. How do you do yours?

30-Jun-16
MBG Ascent. I set mine at 35yds. This will be my 12th year using a single pin. I wish I would have switched earlier.

Some people don't like a single pin and imo I think they don't use it enough to get proficient using one. Is it for everyone nope!

30-Jun-16
This year it will be an HHA. Set at 30yds so I'm good without changing my point of aim out to 30yds. At 35-40 I aim up at the shoulder.

30-Jun-16
HHA. I would set it at 30 yd and then adjust on an as needed basis.

30-Jun-16
MBG Ascent. Love it.

I set mine at 30 yards. Little hold over at 40. A little hold under at 20. Anything at 50 I better have time to adjust or I wont take the shot anyway.

I will be stand hunting a wallow this year and I will set it at the appropriate yardage for the wallow.

I haven't elk hunted with the new sight yet so I may report back after September.

30-Jun-16
I have an HHA King Pin. I use to keep it set at 30 but last couple of years I keep it at 20, because the majority of my shots are 25 yards or less.

30-Jun-16
I've used a single pin set at 30 for years... Like coolcop said, low at 20 high at 40. Works great as I don't worry near as much about yardage. Is he close, far or in the middle? If he's far I put it at the top of his back and watch it drop in.

30-Jun-16
I shoot an HHA as well. Its set at 30 and I practice my hold overs and unders. If a shot presents it's self beyond 40 I will range it and bump the site accordingly. I have been shooting a single pin for so many years I don't think I could switch back now.

30-Jun-16
MBG! Great on my senior eyes focusing on only one pin!

30-Jun-16
One pin here, it's my first year doing it & I really am getting the hang of it! We'll see how it goes this year! I too shoot the MBG.

ElkNut1

30-Jun-16
After wounding and missing a few, I switched to a single pin. Works better for me. Only One thing to focus on. I leave it at 30 and am good out to 40 without adjustment. Pretty much hold dead on up to 35....after that I hold a few inches high but no biggie. Today's bows are so fast. It's one less thing I have to think about in the moment of truth. Same as Coolcop, anything outside of 40 and I have time to dial it in or I aint taking that shot anyways. Best of luck to you this year, shoot straight.

30-Jun-16
I use a spot Hogg Hogg father

30-Jun-16
Thanks to the guys on here, I've chosen MBG Ascent also and I'm glad I did.

30-Jun-16
I use a HHA King pin XL. I set it at 30. Honestly I don't change much on anything under 30 but I will hold over at 40. At 50 I feel I can adjust the sight in time. Come august I actually practice with it set at 30. I will shoot from 1 all the way to 40 with it.

30-Jun-16
I use a HHA King pin XL. I set it at 30. Honestly I don't change much on anything under 30 but I will hold over at 40. At 50 I feel I can adjust the sight in time. Come august I actually practice with it set at 30. I will shoot from 1 all the way to 40 with it.

30-Jun-16
I use a Spot Hogg Tommy hog, its a nice compact rugged single pin. Been using it for years. I shoot it with the Double pin. I got used to ranging anything over 30yards as your just asking to get lucky guessing quickly over that yardage. They are very fast to adjust once you get used to them and you can do it more precisely then some think.

Its nice to aim with a clear view where everything is naturally centered.

I you dont feel you have the time to range the animal itself, then you most often can predict its path and get a close idea and get adjusted and ready when they step out or walk through a gap.

There are advantages to a muli pin as well, but I wont be changing back

01-Jul-16

benrud3's embedded Photo
benrud3's embedded Photo
I am using the Trophy Taker Option 6. It is two sights in one as it has the option of using one of the 5 fixed pins or they can be moved out of the way so that I can use the adjustable single pin sight.

01-Jul-16
I used a single pin slider for like 6-7 years.

I have gone to a 3 pin BG/Ascent-Verdict with Slider.

Good luck, Robb

01-Jul-16
I have a CBE Tek Hybrid and in the past had it set for 25 yards as the area being hunted was very thick...can hold dead on to 30 yards without any issues. Am hunting a more open unit this year and will move to 30 yards for the "base" setting to shoot from 5 to 40 yards.

01-Jul-16
MBG slider, before that a HHA, both carried at 30.

01-Jul-16
I use HHA slider at 25. Why would someone choose MBG or HHA? Just curious.

01-Jul-16
"Why would someone choose MBG or HHA? Just curious."

My first single-pin slider was an HHA that I wanted to try on 3D. It was great for that, but was too flimsy for my liking for hunting. I bought a Black Gold slider to try for hunting and, like every Black Gold sight, was impressed with it's sturdiness.

Fast forward to last year when a friend showed me his new HHA. I was surprised to see the improvements they had made. Solid as well.

That said, I'll always shoot Black Gold unless they take a step back. Their sights are bomb-proof, and their customer service is second to none IMO. The fact they're a Bowsite sponsor is another check in the plus column

I used the single-pin for a couple years for hunting, but now use the three-pin Ascent for hunting.

01-Jul-16
Montana Black Gold easy slider for me they sent me a proto type when I went to africa got another when they came out for sale before that I had 2 HHA sliders that went bad both were fixed asap. but never had anything go wrong with my Black gold Been using single pin for about 25 years

01-Jul-16
I'm thinking of making the switch. I am wanting to shoot out to 80 yards or so. I know I'm going to get a million answers but what the heck:

Best brand for low light situations and long-range shooting? Pricing isn't as important as quality.

01-Jul-16
Wow, I have had HHA Optimizer slider since Hector was a pup and just move it to new bows. Bombproof. That's not to say that MBG isn't fantastic though, I'm sure they are.

01-Jul-16
MBG for me too. I went with a .10 green pin and added a 6" dovetail mount. I set it at 30 or 35 and am good to go out to 40. I have shot with a single pin for many years. Even when there were no single pin sliders. I love the uncluttered single vertical pin but have seriously thought about going to a 3 pin slider set 30, 40, 50 and use the 50 as the slider. I just can't get over the single pin and if ain't broke don't fix it!

01-Jul-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
MBG for me also. .19 green pin. Usually set at 20 but can easily adjust as different situations arise.

Used it for my goose hunts this winter and killed two turkeys this spring, but it worked well out to 30 yards.

Older eyes do not need extra pins and halos to clutter the sight picture.

my best, Paul

01-Jul-16
MBG CS is phenomenal. Never had a thing go wrong with mine but Dustin went above and beyond when I wanted to change up a couple things after I bought my slider. He is a great guy!

01-Jul-16
Just shot two rabbits in the yard, one at 12 yards and one and 18 yards. The single pin MBG rules.

my best, Paul

02-Jul-16
The new MBG Ascent Verdict looks awesome. Anyone tried the 2x and 4x lenses?

02-Jul-16
I just bought a MBG Verifict for my Defiant 34 great looking sight. I never use any lenses on mine. A lense would probably be great for indoors but probably not a good choice for hunting IMO.

02-Jul-16
Hogg Father set on 35. I've never moved it once a bull committed but I have set it shorter when working him and I think the shot will be 20, 25, etc. I have used a 0 power lens in NM before. Worked fine, no different than shooting any other day but I primarily shoot tournaments so if you just hunt it may be a problem as you would not be used dealing with glare and maybe water.

02-Jul-16
Ha Ha, Paul you got that on older eyes for sure, I thought I was the halo king!! (grin) I love the single pin for those exact reasons. Congrats on your success there. You're a true inspiration!

ElkNut1

03-Jul-16
Not elk but that was the plan when I bought my MBG Ascent. I love it and will never change it out unless they go out of business and I can't get warranty work done. I had an HHA for years along with the truglo when I was younger but the MBG is the best single pin I've used.

07-Jul-16
I really like my Ascent Verdict Single pin.

536 gr arrow going 281, I can get 93 yards before I have fletching contact. I'm going to put a small dot of whiteout on the pin post for shots to 100 (practice only of course) and see how that works @ closer ranges as well!

• Sitka Gear