Barty1970 04-Jul-16
midwest 04-Jul-16
Mark Watkins 05-Jul-16
sisabdulax 06-Jul-16
ScottTigert 06-Jul-16
30-Jun-16

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
This year I decided to try something a little different when it comes to packs. Between my antelope/Muley hunt in Ne and Elk in Co I thought my T1 was too much pack for day hunts. I went with a Kifaru Duplex hunting frame with a cargo panel. For pockets etc I went with a large side pocket and large belt pocket. These two pockets fit perfect on the cargo panel. Throw in a couple belt pouches on the belt and it should be set. For spike hunts A camp bag can get sandwiched in between. The cargo panel and the frame.

30-Jun-16

I plan on putting some weight in the pack and hitting some trails this weekend to see how the pack feels under a load.

For now here are a few pics of the pack. First impression is its a kifaru and no let down on the quality of there products.

30-Jun-16

I had my dad try on the pack and took a few pics. This fall will be his first western hunt or should I say none whitetail hunt. He will be going to nw NE for the antelope and Muley hunt. I might even let him try out the pack put there. I think if he continues hunts like this he would be a future kifaru owner. Lol

30-Jun-16
Great setup! I highly recommend getting the nalgene pocket and bottle and running one of the mini pockets next to it. Really is a better way to hydrate! Guide Lid works sweet too with it!

30-Jun-16
X2 on the Nalgene belt pockets. I find I stay more hydrated drinking from those because I hate drinking from water bladders. I do like the bladders for carrying several liters of water though and just fill the Nalgene's from that as needed.

30-Jun-16
So do you guys that use the Nalgene belt pockets use them as your primary source of water throughout the day rather than a water bladder?

I have to be honest. My two water bladders from my Eberlestock packs are really pissing me off. They seem to leak from somewhere different at random times.

My new rig is a duplex frame and a Mountain Warrior pack.

30-Jun-16
I run a duplex with cp, too. 2 large belt pockets on the panel and a guide lid. I also have the Nalgene bottle holder with side arm holster on one side of the belt and a small belt pocket on the other side.

30-Jun-16
I do the same, hydrate from the nalgene with Mt Ops Enduro in it and refill from bladder of some kind. I bought a Dromelite Bladder, seems good so far. I run the nalgene pocket and mini pocket on the right and a medium pocket on the left, started with small on the left and quickly switched to a medium, much easier to rummage around in it without spilling stuff and at the end of the day there is room for calls, tab, arm guard etc so I know where it is in the morning and it doesn't get left at camp

30-Jun-16
I use my Nalgene as my only source of drinking water throughout the day. I carry a 3 liter Platypus bag to re-fill the Nalgene as needed. I don't carry a full Nalgene and 3 additional liters unless it's really hot, or if I don't really know where my next water source is. In high mountains 2 liters is usually plenty for me, because you can fill up pretty much anywhere, but at lower elevations and high temps, sometimes it might be a while for your next fill up, so it's good to have extra capacity. I've only had CamelPacks, which I thought sucked and the Platypus which hooks right on to the Katadyn filters and is really easy to use; I much prefer it, but still hate drinking from the hose.

30-Jun-16
Interesting I love my 3 liter camelback. I do bring a Nalgene bottle with but the only time I use it is when I change up with a crystal light packet. I will go thru 3 liters of water pretty easy in a day of hunting.

I think I will sandwich 2 40 lb bags of water softener salt and do 4 miles one day this weekend.

I won't be able to put a tripod and spotter on the pack this weekend but by August I will have it figured out.

I really do like how the new duplex hunting frame fit's so far.

30-Jun-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I use sand. This is one 40 lb bag along with all my normal day hunting gear. I'll hike a little over 6 miles through some of the roughest limestone bluff area NE Iowa has to offer. I'll also load it with 2 bags for hikes about half that distance. Definitely want to have some trekking poles when carrying the heavy loads!

01-Jul-16
I was planning on using my trekking poles as well. There like having 4 wheel on a hike. I have a feeling I will be sore buthroat I think it will be beneficial as well.

01-Jul-16
Fulldraw, Where did you get the combo salt/pepper/napkin holder? I couldn't find it in the Kifaru catalog. ;-)

01-Jul-16
That salt/pepper/napkin holder is genius. Always ready to minimize the meat pack out.

01-Jul-16
I have one, it doesn't make my tag soup taste any better and the napkins are waisted weight!

01-Jul-16
Midwest the salt/pepper napkin holder is a special order. It's in the trial phase still. I got lucky when Aron asked me to try it out.

01-Jul-16
Ahhhh, the advantages of being on the pro staff!

01-Jul-16
There are definitely a lot of options with Kifaru.

02-Jul-16

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I basically have run just the MMR duplex frame and a cargo panel for a few years now, I love it as it's so versatile, but it takes some time, trial and error to get it dialed in to how it works best for you. Frustrates some for sure. Has frustrated me a times. But I believe in the modular system....

In stripped down mode where it lives in the Scout I have a med. long pocket where my kill kit/first aid/etc lives, cargo panel and a med pod. Ready to run and go haul lean, organic protein from a quick morning or evening hunt at a moments notice....

Attach my panel a bit differently, the long pocket goes at the very bottom section of the frame and I attach the panel just above it. This puts most of my load up a bit higher on the frame where I want it and the long pocket forms a bit of a "shelf". I have a hanging meat bag in the kill kit that keeps deboned meat under control really well, if I lost it I'd buy another tomorrow. The panel over all that. Pod keeps whatever clothing I may or may not have/need clean and dry (and easy to access). When hauling meat the pod and other pockets or modules can be attached anywhere on the panel.

Daypack/hunt mode I'll add a blackhawk 100oz bladder that I'll drain every day if it's not freezing cold out (Bottles are NOISY on a stalk! Bottles are for making french press coffee =D) and a top lid/fanny pack. For spiking in I add larger sea to summit dry bags to carry camp, a five string for the sleeping bag and it all goes in the panel. (Dry bags are great for hanging food out of bear reach away from camp too) Pods and other lighter items on the panel. Get to camp, drop the drybags etc. and you're back in hunt mode. Can deal with dead animals onsite and take a full first load of meat out.... or as much as you can physically take.

Just recently added a Hill People mini belt pocket to keep a camera, GPS, headlamp or whatever close at hand instead of in the pack where I never seem to use it when I need/want to. A really well made and well thought out product. We will see, never been a fan of the belt pockets as they tend to make the rig wider overall and one of the main reasons I like this system is how tight and narrow I can make it, goes through thick stuff with no trails a lot quieter and with less fight. The materials used in this equipment is not the quietest, but if you can keep it from rubbing on things it's still quieter than others that do rub.

02-Jul-16
If a nalgene bottle is making too much noise on a stalk, your moving too fast and still have your pack on;-)

02-Jul-16
I'd say half the animals I've killed on a stalk are with my pack on. If you drop your pack on every stalk here you'll spend half your day walking back to get it..... I might drop it the last 20 yards or so, maybe.

No wind you can hear that water slosh with every step, every rock scramble. Axis deer can to. Elk... they are on prozac....

04-Jul-16

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
This is my EMRII and duplex frame hauling 65+lbs for the twelve day 192 mile trek my wife and I completed last month

I have the large belt pocket on the waistbelt the other side; I ran both a Platypus 2L bladder and a Nalgene

The mini belt pouch was ideal for small camera, compass, etc

The Grabit worked a treat for both carrying raingear and keeping the load tight

04-Jul-16
Nice work, Barty!

05-Jul-16
Looking good Barty!

Mark

06-Jul-16
Just ordered A kifaru....the wait begins!

06-Jul-16
about two weeks it will be at your door

• Sitka Gear