Aaron Johnson 04-Jul-16
backpacker 05-Jul-16
Aaron Johnson 05-Jul-16
skookumjt 06-Jul-16
jerrynocam 06-Jul-16
Genesis 06-Jul-16
dapper 06-Jul-16
03-Jul-16
I was wondering the other day while exercising about using my Personal Locator Beacon. I know I'm responsible for the cost involved in the rescue, which I would imagine to be several thousand bucks or more in the backcountry. Which is small beans when you definitely need assistance.

If you come upon another individual who needs assistance, and you do the right thing and summon help for them(at their request, if they are able) are you liable for costs since it originated from your beacon if they later refuse to?

A EMS tech I work with thinks the cost would be billed to the rescued party, but he wasn't sure. Any thoughts.

03-Jul-16
In Colorado if you buy a hunting, fishing, or "hiking" license your SAR costs are covered. Not sure about other states but I believe WY also has that option.

Helicopter evac costs are NOT covered and most insurance plans don't cover them, or cover very little. Medivac costs in my area run around $30,000. I paid $300 for a five year policy for my family in case it's ever needed. An unfortunate lady on the mountain across from me needed one yesterday after a fall and she didn't have the insurance.

03-Jul-16
I thought the subscription to SPOT pays for the rescue if used.

04-Jul-16
You may have that on the SPOT, hopefully you never have to use the device and if you do it pays for the rescue. My unit is Fast Find 220, monitored by the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration. We usually hunt in Colorado and I know there is a fee for search and rescue attached to the license fee, I kind of thought it to be like the city where I live, we pay on our utility bill a fee for fire protection, but if they need to come we are also billed for the trip/time on site. $30,000 is a lot to shell out. Told the wife we'd have to sell her new jeep, she thought maybe I should just crawl out.

04-Jul-16
An InReach or Spot are great options. I've used both in Alaska and they both worked great! The InReach was nice for texting longer messages.

04-Jul-16
The subscription to SPOT does not pay for the rescue unless you purchase the $15 ins plan.

04-Jul-16
Definitely varies by state or province. I was told by a pretty reliable guy in Anchorage, correct him if he's wrong, that f a rescue in Alaska results in the actual saving of a life there is no fee.

04-Jul-16
So they bill the dead man?

04-Jul-16
"So they bill the dead man?"

LOL!

04-Jul-16
Get lifeflight insurance if you're going in the backcountry! $50yr and a free helicopter ride.I was lifeflighted after a bad motorcycle accident 12 miles in and it was a 15k ride.You always think it will happen to the other guy until it's you that goes down.

04-Jul-16

idacurt's Link
Here is a link for those coming to Idaho this year.

04-Jul-16
Be sure to check the map from the different companies to ensure coverage where you plan to hunt. You also need to request that specific air evac service when the EMS/SAR folks make the decision, assuming you're conscious. There are two copter services in NoCo and S. WY and only one is covered by our evac insurance.

Trkytrack- I think they check for gold teeth.

:)

04-Jul-16
Got a card in the mail the other day from Global Rescue. Prices looked reasonable, but didn't look into the fine print.......

04-Jul-16
Search and rescue in Colorado does not charge for services. Ambulance and Flight For Life, etc charge for your transport to hospital. The fee on fishing, hunting, ATV, snowmobile , support SAR. not pay for SAR. It is not insurance! That money goes for SAR equipment and training. We blow a snowmobile engine getting you out we can request funds from DOLA which distributes the money from license etc. Global Rescue may get you out of Africa but they cannot get you out by helicopter a Wilderness area in Colorado.Federal regs.

04-Jul-16
Are you saying that a helicopter cannot go into a Wilderness area in CO due to federal regulations?

04-Jul-16
I got a Spot Gen 3 today. It offers $100k worth of rescue insurance for $17.99 per year. Spot costs $150.00 Has a $75.00 mail in rebate available thruogh July Scott

04-Jul-16
I just picked up a Delorme InReach today for $239 on sale. Looking forward to getting it set up soon.

05-Jul-16
Where'd you pick up the in reach for $240?

05-Jul-16
B&H photo had a 4th of July sale this weekend online.

06-Jul-16
Aircraft (including hang gliders) are never allowed in federally designated wilderness areas.

06-Jul-16
A few years ago I was in a drop camp in the Gunnison Wilderness and at about 2 am we had a helicopter overhead light up our tent. They were looking for another camp one ridge over from us where someone was having heart problems so the do fly into wilderness areas. I don't know what company it was but I can tell you they had a really bright light.

06-Jul-16
I would check policy references big time.You never know what kind of insurance you truly have until AFTER you used it.....well almost.

06-Jul-16
In 1980 we elk hunted in the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana. We were told nothing with a motor was allowed except a helicopter in the event of an emergency.

• Sitka Gear