Fulldraw1972 09-Jul-16
ELKMAN 10-Jul-16
otcWill 10-Jul-16
ElkNut1 10-Jul-16
Velvet Muley 10-Jul-16
jims 10-Jul-16
ohiohunter 10-Jul-16
07-Jul-16
Just wondering you guys opinion on the best early season archery elk hunting boots and camo pattern for the mountains

07-Jul-16
There's no best when it comes to boots. There's many excellent boots available. It's all about fit. Try several if you can. Personally I like Lowa's. I've also had good luck with Kenetrek's.

07-Jul-16
I agree. When it comes to best in boots what works for me might not work for you. My boot of choice is Salomon. As for camo, to me that don't matter. Half the time I wear solid colors for pants.

07-Jul-16
Thanks for the responses

07-Jul-16
There's a million boot threads you could search. Everybody has a different opinion. Try on a few different kinds and buy the ones that feel best. Its nice go have an extra pair if the ones you're wearing get soaked. Gaiters help keep feet dry.

Camo doesn't matter. Whatever you have will work. Just Dont let them see you move.

Good luck!

07-Jul-16
The name of the game for elk is generally covering lots and lots of country. Light hikers are nice when hiking long distance. My boot of choice for that senerio is Lowa Renegades. For mid weight hikers my favorite boots are Scarpa Kailach. For late season hunting in deep snow I often use Lowa Tibets. It's obviously nice to have several boots,..but my overall favorites are Scarpa Kailach.

I generally bring several camo patterns with me when elk hunting. The ones that blend in the best are the ones I use. I usually layer depending upon the temperature, rain, wind, elevation, etc.

08-Jul-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
We don't worry about camo patterns either, we wear what we want & like! No special patterns. Here's photos of 5 recent elk we've taken & you can see the camo used on them.

For boots, 3 of us are wearing Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's -- 1 is wearing 10" Zamberlins & 1 wearing 8" tall Salomon's 4Gd or something boot/tennis shoe! As you can see it can vary & we are all happy with our results for many years now.

Your decisions may vary, hunt with what you're confident in because the elk really don't care! (grin)

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16

Here's another pattern!

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16

Another pattern!

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16
I love my Lowa Renegades for early season. As has been said many time though let the boot pick you. Try on as many as you can until you find the one that is right for YOU! Camo pattern isn't important, just use something that dries quickly and wicks moisture in the early season. Stay away from cotton.

08-Jul-16

Another pattern.

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16

One more pattern!

ElkNut1

08-Jul-16

OregonTK's embedded Photo
OregonTK's embedded Photo
I prefer the Keen Ketchum for early season boots. Camo isn't that important.

08-Jul-16
Thanks guys and nice elk!!

08-Jul-16
Kenetrek Mtn Extreme fit me like a glove. Stiff shank helps the legs. Try before you hit the mountains.

08-Jul-16
Ron, great recurve bull sir, I know it's one of many! Thanks for sharing! Love the wool/plaid shirt. We've taken a few bulls without the camo hype as well, it's nice to see once in a while from others, thanks!

ElkNut1

09-Jul-16
Camo I go cheapo tshirts and non camo cargo pants, boots I have 2 pairs of meindels, pair of lowa's, had a pair of danner canadians all were ok, now I wear keen footwear, IMO the best on the planet, no break in required, tough and durable and inexpensive, mostly love the large toe box. Once you've gone keen there is no going back!

09-Jul-16
For those of us that believes camo matters it's "all Sitka, all the time"!

09-Jul-16
The majority of bowhunters tend to wear the same camo pattern on top and bottom. My recommendation is to switch up top and bottom camo patters/colors in order to break up the human profile. Also, when hunting in snow wear snow camo.

09-Jul-16
Should I be posting like ten pictures of me with dead Elk or answering the question? I prefer the Kuiu patterns and Crispi boots. Both are definitely the best when it come to form, and function...

09-Jul-16
A picture is worth a 1000 words! It can show interested ones that the brand of camo can be irrelevant, some of us mix & match & some don't. It's not the camo as much as it is the guy in them! (grin) Success can be had or failed with whatever reasonable choice we make!

ElkNut1

09-Jul-16
I own a lot of different boots and have tried on a lot more over the the years. As patdel posted, the ones that fit me may not fit you. Some of the very "best" (expensive) don't fit my foot. My current favorites for September are a pair of Irish Setters with Goretex for mornings (found on sale), and a pair of Timberland Mountain Athletics for when it's dry. It isn't about money, it's about fit and comfort for mile after mile, day after day.

As far as camo, it doesn't matter. Wear what makes you feel like the coolest hunter in the woods. If you get free stuff don't forget to change it for multiple hero shots wearing different patterns and hats with the same animal.

09-Jul-16
Nick Myers always wore good pair of tennis shoes (high top basketball shoes). Light weight and quite.

Usually wear drab colors, little camo unless I already own it from back in the day. Camo won't make you disappear.

Only reason I own any camo is because alot of the good stuff to wear is camo...

09-Jul-16
It makes sense to me to break up the human profile...especially when hunting open country where there isn't much to hide behind. Elknut1, you may have gotten bigger bulls if you would have switched up top and bottom camo patterns!

09-Jul-16
"Should I be posting like ten pictures of me with dead Elk or answering the question? I prefer the Kuiu patterns and Crispi boots. Both are definitely the best when it come to form, and function..."

I thought last year Meindl were the best hands down?

10-Jul-16
I like Meindl too, but I have a bunch of different boots and I think the Crispis are the best boots right now.

10-Jul-16
I just bought a pair of lowa innox gtx mids, only 920 grams. Not for those who need a ton of support but I could run a race in these suckers . My other boots are Lowa Cevedale. Best boot I've ever worn

10-Jul-16
jims, I assume you're kidding! (grin) We all hunt OTC Public Land bulls, the first 5 or 6 is getting an arrow in these heavily hunted units! We're not trophy hunters but don't shoot cows either these days. We take plenty of nice bulls, our camo choice is a non issue. Camo hides us more from people not elk.

ElkNut1

10-Jul-16
Crisp Idaho is the best I've had by far. Love that boot

10-Jul-16
Elknut1, I was joking!!!

If you want great a deal on boots take a look at Sierratradingpost.com I've bought 4 or 5 pairs of Lowa, Scarpa, and Zamberlans for around $100. They also have Asolos (I've never tried) and other brands. You sometimes have to be patient and wait for your size to be available. They usually ship the next day and have boots at your door within a couple days. Also, a fantastic return policy if the boots don't happen to fit or you have problems.

You can usually find a coupon code for an additional 20 to 30% their already great prices. I noticed they have Lowa Rangers w/gortex available in a bunch of sizes...which would be an incredible mid weight hiker boot. I bought a pair of Scarpa Kailach's last year for $100...which is my favorite and a heck of a deal! They currently have Scarpa R-Evolutions that you could likely get for around $100 with a coupon code. If you are pinched for cash ST is the way to go on fantastic name-brand boots!

Sierra and other boot dealers often have quite a few reviews on boots available on their websites...which is always nice to look over prior to purchasing. If you don't live by ST you can always try them on at a different store so you know exactly which size, brand, and model to order.

10-Jul-16
Boots: depends on the terrain, but if you have a long haul out you'll want a stiffer boot to support the weight. As said some people get away with gym shoes and light hikers, others prefer the stiff boots like Tibets, kenetreks..etc.

Best camo is to stay still.

• Sitka Gear