Darrell 13-Jul-16
Beendare 13-Jul-16
Darrell 04-Sep-16
GregE 14-Sep-16
Darrell 14-Sep-16
Killbuck 14-Sep-16
md5252 14-Sep-16
09-Jul-16
Well, after using the old style snuffers (150 grain) for the past 16 years or so, I'm giving them up. The past couple years I have just not been able to get them to group the way I want and I have an occasional flier that barely stays on the target. I have tweaked and tuned, added weighted inserts to up my FOC and tried every trick in the book but my groups just will not tighten up. I bought a package of the new 125 grain SS Snuffers and they fly like darts and my groups are half the size of my big snuffers with no "fliers." I'll probably still keep a couple big ones in my quiver for times I'm set up where my shot will be 20 yards or less.

I've made the decision that being more accurate is of greater importance than the massive holes of my old snuffers. The switch will also make my arrow change easier which I will need to do in the next year or two. I guess at 50 I should start looking down the road a bit and know I can't shoot 70# with fingers forever. :)

Anyone else debating about such a switch this year? Anyone interested in some pre-sharpened and spin tested old style snuffers? Anyone have any 125 grain SS snuffers you tried and decided not to use?

09-Jul-16
I still have a couple of the old snuffers around but I use them for tuning, not hunting. When you get them flying well you can screw on pretty much anything and go hunting. They are a bit finicky out of a somewhat fast bow. Longer yardages I like other options that are more forgiving.

09-Jul-16
I was in the same boat Darrell..love them but just couldn't tame them. I switched to Stinger 125's. Accuracy is very good. And I still get to resharpen them.

09-Jul-16
Yes, using a compound. However, 5" helical fletch. More spin might be the answer but I don't have time to fight them as much as I used to.

10-Jul-16
Sorry folks, but it ain't the broadhead...

Especially, if you could turn them before, and not now... Hmmmm...

Original Snuffers have been reputable for many years and I still shoot the Biscuit Cutters...

10-Jul-16
Technology has advanced broadhead design much the same way as bow design. Took me a while to abandon my stubbornness being an "old school" guy but there are many great options in modern broadheads to match the modern bows. I will be changing this year for the first time in 10 years.

10-Jul-16
ZBone,

You are right, it isn't the broadhead. I'm guessing there is something I can do to finish the perfect tune. I'm probably 98% there. It likely is also something that isn't consistent in my form. I've shot fingers all my life and I like that because I can't ever leave them at my truck and because of how quickly I can go from not even having an arrow out of the quiver to having it on its way.

Honestly, I am not sure making the change is the right move as I am likely just nitpicking my groups. However, I have a great elk tag this year and I am going to do whatever gives me the most confidence. I'll keep shooting the rest of the summer and if by September my BigSnuffer groups tighten up there will be four of them in my quiver with two SS for backup and in the unlikely situation where I want to take a 50 yard shot. However, I believe it is just very difficult to get broadheads that size to fly well every time, in the wind, at bad angles, etc.

I have also been very impressed with the SS Snuffers and believe they will get the job done. Its not like I'm going from an old style snuffer to a mechanical to "solve" a tuning issue. I think I've just finally come to the point of admitting to myself that I can't get the big ones to fly great 100% of the time at distances past 30.

10-Jul-16
I don't kill a lot of stuff anymore and still have dozen or so of the original 165 grain Snuffers and assortment of other heads picked up through the years so they should last me a while, but if I was looking for a new head, I'd probably go with the 3-blade VPA's or Woodsman Elites but I just hate paying those kind of prices for broadheads... Broadhead prices have gotten out of hand... I bought a 3-pack of Elites to try when they first came out and think I paid around 30 or 32 bucks for them (I thought was overpriced back then)... I think they want around 50 bucks for them now... What's that about a 60% increase in a half dozen years or so... Ridicules... I can see a little prices increase to stay in business, but the broadhead people have went overboard and the less I have to buy, the less I will... Ironically there another thread trending right now on "costly" broadheads...

10-Jul-16
EF,

They don't fly at all with 4" fletch. I have shot fingers with compounds since 89. Went to 2 under in probably 93 and that helped a bunch. I don't think going to 3 under would help or even be a good idea as it would likely change my tune and I've shot two under for so long, I'm guessing that in the heat of the moment I would revert back to two without even realizing it. :)

I'm not shooting too much because its too stinking hot here. I grew up in NM so I'm a desert rat and this Kansas humidity has me melting anytime I'm doing much of anything.

As for my rest, I'm shooting my old Cavalier Free Flight. Same rest I've shot for 20+ years. Well, its my second Cavalier anyway. Not sure if you can still buy them or not but it serves me well.

10-Jul-16
Darrell

We are brothers!

I have only shot fingers bare bow compound since day 1 (1981 or so). I used to shoot with 2 under, but found 3 under put arrow closer to my eye. (A plus for bare bow ) Not so much for sight shooters. You will have a hard time moving your sight and still have enough clearance.

Like you, I have never lost my release. I have shot a couple of deer with bare fingers. (Bitter cold and they were close)

Needless to say, i am a picture of a curmudgeon I finally started the switch away from aluminum 3 years ago. I tried adding the snuffers to my fmj's with flightmate adapters and had to switch to threaded adapter. This proved to be a weak point. (I bent several adapters on deer) Accuracy along with durability of platform is why I changed.

Today, I have my set up shooting Broadheads better than anytime I can remember.

Now if I can avoid target panic,,,,,,,

10-Jul-16
I have shot the old snuffers for whitetails for a lot of years. I use 5"+ die cut feathers that are oversized that I cut my self on 2219 shafts. In bad weather I could get away with 4 blazers with a strong helical. Even with a slow arrow and a lot of spin I do not think that they are made precise enough to get very tight groups. I will pick a few arrows that grouped closed and pick one as my primary arrow. I then play with the other ones and try to get them close. I will sight in for my primary arrow and then mark the rest of the arrows based on how close they shot to my primary arrow as 2nd, 3rd, 4th ect.. For shots under 30 yards at whitetails I liked them. They were very stable and forgiving. At 20 yards the same arrow would pretty much go in the same hole shot to shot. They also made a big hole. I never used them on western hunts where I was shooting longer distances at higher speeds. IMO they are just not make to close enough tolerances to group well at high speeds over long distances regardless how well a bow is tuned and how fast you spin the arrow. At 40+ yards my primary arrow would hit close to the same spot shot to shot but my groups would open up. At 20 yards they are stable, quiet the bow down with all the weight and are very deadly. At long distance with carbon arrows I use something else. I have a great elk tag as well this year and I am using 125 gr VAP 3 bladed on a CX Maximum. The VAPs are made to tight tolerances and fly consistently.

10-Jul-16
I shot the 150 grain snuffers out of my stickbow, boy do they fly like a champ and boy do they make a hole!! 4" feeathers with a good heical

My favorite broadhead of all time.

If I was 2 shoot wheels Id be looking at the snuffer SS for sure

THEY NEVER SUFFER WITH A SNUFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-Jul-16
EF,

Yes field points and SS snuffers shoot really nice groups.

11-Jul-16
Collectors will pay a good price for the original "Biscuit Cutter". They were all hand made from Ben Pearson Deadheads and only a handful were made.

11-Jul-16
Longbow, maybe its time for a release aid! :)

Some years ago, I fractured my middle finger on my right hand, so it was either use a release or not hunt! I bought a Scott Mongoose release and in a short time, got used to it. Then I wondered why I had been so darn stubborn at staying with fingers! I ruined many arrows and vanes that year as I slowly learned to not group arrows, but to create and shoot at different bullseyes.

Back in "the day", I shot the original snuffers. 1 1/2" cutting diameter, 235 grains! Yes, 235 grains! I had to have a guy braze a 145 grain blunt to a a 125 grain field point with the threaded portion cut off. This was in the days before knowing about "spinning" heads to true them. One buck I shot at was slapped by the arrow going sideways! After that, I shot every broadhead and shaft combination before sharpening them and putting them in my bow quiver to hunt with! The bow was a PSE Laser Magnum at 80# and 50% letoff using 31" 2219 aluminums. I used them and that bow for many years until the riser broke in half! Killed 7 bucks with the same arrow and head combination.

Those were the days! Sorry to go off topic here....

>>>>-------->

13-Jul-16
Well, now to add a new twist. I just noticed my cable has a busted string on one of the yokes. (busted single string) I'm wondering if that has let it stretch and added to my grouping issues. Anyway I've ordered a new string and cable from 60X. Guess I'm taking a break from shooting until they get in. :(

13-Jul-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
And here is another twist....you CAN shoot a head that is BETTER than the snuffers, its made in USA, they have all spun perfect for me and are easy to sharpen and reuse....built like a brick sheet house!

Lots of guys trying to get a little more FOC with inserts and such....what about using a BH with more steel in it??? Best of both worlds...no thin replacement blades...solid steel.

Pictured on the left...the VPA 150.....makes a few of the other popular heads look like toys, eh?

04-Sep-16
Well, after a crazy summer of drawing my first choice NM tag for the first time in 16 years, having my bow blow up on me and buying a new Matthews Chill. Then spending the past month tuning, fine tuning and shooting nothing but broadheads, I find my old style snuffers shoot just as well as the new ones as long I'm shooting properly. I have found the SS snuffers are a little more forgiving when I don't have a clean release (I shoot fingers) or slightly torque the grip. Surprisingly the point of impact is also very close out to 50 yards so I will have 3 old style and two SS in my quiver and feel very confident with either head.

Anyway, big thanks to Elknut who sent me some of his discarded SS heads. I'm now good to go either direction but while my shooting confidence is good with both heads, I know what the big hole look like and the incredible blood trails they leave so as long as they are still shooting well when I leave on the 14th, they will be my go to head once again.

14-Sep-16
Wishing you well on your hunt Darrell.

Take lots of pictures for us....

G

BTW, don't take practice shots at stumps with a Snuffer- they are a bear to get out

14-Sep-16
Greg,

Trust me, I have had to dig a few snuffers out of trees, basement walls, leg bones, etc. I know the pain. :)

Heading out in 6 hours. Sure wish my son didn't need to get a half day of school in today. Regardless, I'm hunting in the morning and that is what really matters.

14-Sep-16
Moot point as the original Snuffers are no longer made. Find them quick if you want some.

14-Sep-16
The Snuffer SS 125gr fly awesome for me and leave a great trail. Customer service is A++++ too

• Sitka Gear