wildwilderness 11-Jul-16
Fulldraw1972 11-Jul-16
midwest 11-Jul-16
Cheesehead Mike 11-Jul-16
IdyllwildArcher 11-Jul-16
Mad_Angler 11-Jul-16
Elkaddict 11-Jul-16
11-Jul-16
I've never hunted elk before. I am planning an OTC trip in Colorado next fall (2017). When i asked questions last year, folks told me to buy a Wyoming preference point...

I just checked. They are $50. I was expecting ~$20 but I don't know why.

Are the points worth it?

How many points do I need to get a good elk unit? How many points do I need to get a great elk unit?

11-Jul-16
I think they're worth it. I can't answer all your questions about how many points it takes to draw different units. I'm not a good point odds researcher, there are guys on here that have that stuff figured out though.

I will tell you that my buddy and I drew a unit in 2015 with 4.5 points. He had 4, I had 5.

We had a really good hunt. Saw some really good bulls. Neither one of us killed one. But that was more our fault than anything, as we had our chances to take good bulls.

11-Jul-16
Yes even if you just get a couple and draw a general tag they are worth it.

11-Jul-16
Yes, to me they are. They can get expensive, but knowing I have the potential for a great hunt......possibly a once in a lifetime hunt, it's worth it.........to me. I have 4 in CO, 4 in WY, 12 in UT, and 13 in AZ.

11-Jul-16
Today for Wyoming, yes they are a good investment IMHO. For a general tag or low/mid tier LE unit.

If you are chasing top tier/top PP units, no. Waste of money because you will never catch up.

11-Jul-16
In WY they are necessary investment. Need point(s) just to draw general tag.

11-Jul-16
I did not draw a general tag with one point this year.

11-Jul-16
I've been buying points for the last 3 years. This year will make 4.

I'd say its worth the investment for a quality hunt.

11-Jul-16
I don't know why you put it off! You need to hunt OTC CO this year 2016 to learn a thing or two,

Buy your WY PP and draw a tag next year 2017 and you will be so much better off!

11-Jul-16
I hear that wyoming general is better then Co otc. So with that said points are needed for a wyoming general.

Has any general tags went out the last 2 years to 1 point? I thought it was creeping up to the 2 point area.

11-Jul-16
Lately, you need 2 points to guarantee a GEN tag but you can still draw with zero in the random draw.

If your handle is BULELK1, you get a GEN tag with zero points every year! :-)

11-Jul-16
Elkaddict and I drew General in the regular draw this year with 1 point but there was only an 8% chance of drawing...

11-Jul-16
You needed 1.5 points to be guaranteed a gen tag this past draw. Point creep will blow through the <2 category quicker than it did the 1 point because there's less people in it, but 2 points should get you a tag for a couple years.

Buy a point this year and go ahead and apply next year, but you'll probably be relegated to about a 15% chance in the random round next year so you might consider just going for gold in a trophy unit with 1-4% odds in the random round and plan on hunting the general tag in 2018.

If you want specific advice or have more questions, feel free to PM me.

11-Jul-16
wild... Things came up. I wanted to hunt last fall. I wanted to hunt this fall...

Next fall is firm. One way or another, I am going!

11-Jul-16
Cheesehead Mike is right, very low draw oddds in regular. To clarify we don't know if we drew in the regular or random. Regular draw is first, anyone who doesn't draw gets put in the random. Either way we are going back to WY on 1 point :)

• Sitka Gear